daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Old August 21st, 2013, 06:08 AM   #6181
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post
They're hardly phones anymore, their primary function is providing access to the internet.
I hardly ever make calls anymore on my phone maybe 50 minutes a month (out of 450). I text, use the internet, play games and watch videos much more than I call. I use the Internet on my phone more than I do on a computer. I'm actually starting to think calling smartphones "phones" is a misnomer, I mean calling is a major feature, but one of many. They are basically ultra portable computers.

VelesHomais liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2013, 07:43 AM   #6182
Сталин
Infractions Record Holder

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I hardly ever make calls anymore on my phone maybe 50 minutes a month (out of 450). I text, use the internet, play games and watch videos much more than I call. I use the Internet on my phone more than I do on a computer. I'm actually starting to think calling smartphones "phones" is a misnomer, I mean calling is a major feature, but one of many. They are basically ultra portable computers.
I've also noticed that. But the costs are pretty high still compared to an Ipod that can catch free wifi in some places. Why not make internet connection free and available everywhere for all. I'm sure capitalist are going to oppose this as they did with free health care or over other things that are free. But since everyone has a phone, everyone should have a right to free and unlimited internet access from the government. It might make mobile technology even more tempting so I predict sales to increase from such a move.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:14 AM   #6183
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 648

Some countries are already doing this, hopefully other countries do the same as well. Have you heard of google's "project loon"? It's about providing internet access to everyone!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6184
MeShow
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

First Turkish Smartphone

4GB storage
1GB Ram
Android 4.1 ( Jelly Bean )
5 MP Camera ( Back ) and 0.3 MP ( Front )
Qualcomm 8225 Dualcore Processor

It is ok for medium users.

Turkcell T40

Last edited by MeShow; August 21st, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
MeShow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM   #6185
MarquitaMatthew

Likes (Received): 6

Hi, I am a new member of this forum. I am really a follower of the latest technology. I hope that I would be having great time here.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6186
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
I think you just want something different in phones to what most people do. Software has been the biggest innovation in mobiles in the last few years.

Could you imagine 5 years ago being able to unlock you phone by swiping your hand over it? or interacting with the phone without even having to touch it? Phones that you can play graphically intense games on? Multitask with ease? that have wireless charging? or you can use as a remote for your tv? Camera technology has improved amazingly too! The new sony is coming out with a 20.7mp camera and is still thinner than most phones.

Mobile phones have come a long way in the last 4-5 years! Amazing battery life is just around the corner as well as flexible displays. Manufacturers may not be adding things to phones that you want to see but that does not mean they aren't innovating at all.
1. Yes, the original iphone 5 years ago was unlocked by swiping your finger over it.

2. Voice control has been around for over a decade.

3. Cameras in mobile devices have been a standard in mobile devices for over a decade now.

These have seen substantial improvement over the years, but that's expected and is not novel innovation. These companies could both improve upon existing features and add new ones. In reality, apart for greater reach for voice control and projectors, nothing new has been integrated into our mobile devices in 5 years.

Flexible screens is a good example of genuine innovation, so are projectors. Mobile devices are for creation of content and accessibility to it. In the future you won't have a home computer, you'll have one seamless mobile device that can do everything, including providing you with a display of any size you want by utilizing surfaces available in your immediate environment and/or integration with your natural eyesight in a slightly more distant future.

Manufacturers are getting lazy in terms of innovation because they're getting away with it and the consumers are to blame.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:57 PM   #6187
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

The new Galaxy Golden looks interesting. I wonder how comfortable is the T9 keyboard here, I have used flip phones that had a nice, clicky feel to their keyboards, but I've also experienced keyboards that were flat, stiff and just plain uncomfortable.

Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #6188
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeShow View Post
First Turkish Smartphone
...Made in China

Quote:
The smartphone has been completely developed by Turkish engineers, although serial production will initially be undertaken in China
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...&NewsCatID=345

I wonder what 'development' is there to be done? Find a supplier of cheap plastic cases in Shenzhen? You'll get similar low-end or mid-range (or even hi-end) smartphones in a random shopping mall in China where they sell copy-cat or no-name devices 'developed' by local...eh.. engineers which then sell for cheap prices (you can buy on eBay too).

The point is that a smartphone is essentially a CPU (probably originating in the USA) an few other important chips (Taiwan/Japan/China) a few less important chips (China) which need to be put into a plastic case that is, of course, made in China and all of that is assembled in China.

The 'first Turkish smartphone' is just a PR release. The phone is as much Turkish as I am a Martian.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6189
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
...Made in China

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tur...&NewsCatID=345

I wonder what 'development' is there to be done? Find a supplier of cheap plastic cases in Shenzhen? You'll get similar low-end or mid-range (or even hi-end) smartphones in a random shopping mall in China where they sell copy-cat or no-name devices 'developed' by local...eh.. engineers which then sell for cheap prices (you can buy on eBay too).

The point is that a smartphone is essentially a CPU (probably originating in the USA) an few other important chips (Taiwan/Japan/China) a few less important chips (China) which need to be put into a plastic case that is, of course, made in China and all of that is assembled in China.

The 'first Turkish smartphone' is just a PR release. The phone is as much Turkish as I am a Martian.
If you bothered to continue reading it does say they will be manufacturing them in Turkey once facilities are set up, they are starting in China just to get the ball rolling. It was "designed" in Turkey as well.
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:11 AM   #6190
Joka

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post

1. Yes, the original iphone 5 years ago was unlocked by swiping your finger over it.

2. Voice control has been around for over a decade.

3. Cameras in mobile devices have been a standard in mobile devices for over a decade now.

These have seen substantial improvement over the years, but that's expected and is not novel innovation. These companies could both improve upon existing features and add new ones. In reality, apart for greater reach for voice control and projectors, nothing new has been integrated into our mobile devices in 5 years.

Flexible screens is a good example of genuine innovation, so are projectors. Mobile devices are for creation of content and accessibility to it. In the future you won't have a home computer, you'll have one seamless mobile device that can do everything, including providing you with a display of any size you want by utilizing surfaces available in your immediate environment and/or integration with your natural eyesight in a slightly more distant future.

Manufacturers are getting lazy in terms of innovation because they're getting away with it and the consumers are to blame.
Lol, veleishomais on his one man struggle to push manufacturers by buying crap with pointless gimmicks.

Keep your projector cult to yourself, ty.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6191
kix111

Likes (Received): 2558

Pretty sexy.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #6192
Ulpia-Serdica
ipso facto&manu militari

Likes (Received): 2577

Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM   #6193
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2085

So Ballmer is stepping down. Good news for Microsoft.

Ulpia-Serdica, Cytokine liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #6194
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

Ballmer bet too heavily in the B2C ("Business 2 Consumer"), he should have focused on B2B ("Business 2 Business"), the enterprise sector where Microsoft makes billions. In light of so many products and services that failed to get any traction with consumers, like Bing, Zune, Windows Phone and Microsoft Surface and even Windows 8 (as well as the now forgotten, but very costly Kin phone), perhaps its time for Microsoft to ditch consumer products and services all together.

This sound extreme, but companies like Hitachi already did it, and are much more profitable because of it.

Quote:
Hitachi President Prods Turnaround

TOKYO—When Hiroaki Nakanishi became Hitachi Ltd.'s president in April 2010, the Japanese electronics behemoth was in the darkest period of its 102-year history, with four years of losses totaling nearly ¥1 trillion ($12.5 billion).

Hitachi is now undergoing one of the most remarkable turnarounds in Japanese corporate history.

While other Japanese electronics firms continue to suffer from losses in consumer products and the punishing impact of the strong yen, Hitachi—Japan's largest electronics manufacturer—has posted a second year of record profits.

On Thursday, the company announced a 45% increase in net profit to ¥347.18 billion ($4.35 billion) for the past fiscal year, benefiting from the sale of its hard disk business.

Hitachi under Mr. Nakanishi has broken away from a plodding, risk-averse style of management, spinning off at breakneck pace its consumer-related operations in mobile phones, computer parts and flat-panel TVs to concentrate on selling big-ticket—and more profitable—power plants, rail lines and water treatment facilities.

Continue reading (WSJ)

bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by Cytokine; August 24th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #6195
desiyogi
How I met your Sister

Likes (Received): 2596

I think gold iPhones would do decently in China and India.
Enough to sustain current profit margins for Apple.

Quote:
Siegler speculated that a gold iPhone could be an effort to upsell customers in emerging markets like India and China, where gold is popular, where the low-cost iPhone 5C is expected to be a significant device. Reuters interviewed Jerry Zou, Senior VP and Partner at public relations firm FleishmanHillard in Beijing, whether a gold device would appeal to Chinese customers.

Commercially it makes sense, said Jerry Zou, Senior VP and Partner at FleishmanHillard, a public relations firm in Beijing. New colors would add "novelty and variety, both of which are key to winning over fickle Chinese consumers.
Zou went on to say that a champagne or gold color would be able to portray a luxury or high-end image that was also more restrained and subtle. Most of the customers Reuters interviewed at Apple's Xidan store, however, weren't sold on the idea of a gold iPhone, and consumers in India were "just as skeptical."

Reuters also spoke to Brandon Edwards, a Shanghai-based product designer who believes that a gold iPhone may only add cultural relevance for Apple's existing customers in the country rather than attract new ones who are using other smartphone brands.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/...na-popularity/
desiyogi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #6196
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiyogi View Post
I think gold iPhones would do decently in China and India.
Enough to sustain current profit margins for Apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/...na-popularity/
Exactly the very opposite of what you think.

Gold as a color is considered to be fairly tacky amongst the Chinese and is often associated with Baofahu (the new riches from the country with low education).

All that said, the new iPhone is champaign colored, and i think would look super good on girls. While the black feels more minimalistic and trendy, white feels more pure and innocent, the champaign color feels more classy.
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #6197
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3117

I don't see what the big deal with colors is. 99% of iPhones have covers anyway.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6198
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I don't see what the big deal with colors is. 99% of iPhones have covers anyway.
Yeah, complete waste using aluminium for iPhone. Why wouldn't Apple just use plastic ffs.

Samsung outplayed. Apple plz disband.
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6199
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytokine View Post
Ballmer bet too heavily in the B2C ("Business 2 Consumer"), he should have focused on B2B ("Business 2 Business"), the enterprise sector where Microsoft makes billions. In light of so many products and services that failed to get any traction with consumers, like Bing, Zune, Windows Phone and Microsoft Surface and even Windows 8 (as well as the now forgotten, but very costly Kin phone), perhaps its time for Microsoft to ditch consumer products and services all together.

This sound extreme, but companies like Hitachi already did it, and are much more profitable because of it.
Not all companies have this choice. For example Sony can't, but Toshiba can.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #6200
kix111