daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2241
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian lad View Post
Lao's never did deliveries (if we are speaking of Lau's Oriental Emporium). Regarding their take out sushi - it's a bit steep price wise. When they opened my favourite salmon set costed approximately £6.5, now it's £8.30 (if I recall correctly). In comparison to Nudo's sakura set for £5.20 it doesn't stand much chance.

When I came to the UK 5 years ago I was also surprised that so many people hate even the idea of sushi. It was sushi boom in Easter Europe at the same time.
Been huge in the USA, espc western USA for years. Even now here I have friends who d run out of the room screaming at the idea of it
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2242
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
M and S also do it and I assume Pret does as they do elsewhere]
Yes, I've seen my colleagues eating sushi from both of those outlets.

Only time I've tried it was when I was absolutely tanked up in 'Hoko 10' (what is now Brewdog) shortly after it first opened. I was expecting it to taste really fishy but you get the rice and other ingredients more than anything.

EDIT - to clarify Hoko 10 had a proper little sushi area with Asian staff and sushi preparers. I wouldn't have contemplated buying sushi from the usual, 'I think I'm cool', incompetent bar staff you usually get in 'trendy' pubs in town.

Last edited by NewcastleStu; August 25th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2243
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Yes, I've seen my colleagues eating sushi from both of those outlets.

Only time I've tried it was when I was absolutely tanked up in 'Hoko 10' (what is now Brewdog) shortly after it first opened. I was expecting it to taste really fishy but you get the rice and other ingredients more than anything.

EDIT - to clarify Hoko 10 had a proper little sushi area with Asian staff and sushi preparers. I wouldn't have contemplated buying sushi from the usual, 'I think I'm cool', incompetent bar staff you usually get in 'trendy' pubs in town.
Correct
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2244
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 367

Fat Buddah, state of equipment in place 25/08/13

Quote:
Update update...

Received yesterday - been working away but as of 5pm today... they re still there.
This photograph taken by myself Sunday 25/08/13 approx 1300 - image hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2245
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
This photograph taken by myself Sunday 25/08/13 approx 1300 - image hosted on Photobucket

KEN
They ve taken the ads down. Funny enough I emailed on Friday to see if they had applied for permission on the glassed off area and if not if NCC proposed to enforce. Also to check how much of the paved area they were entitled to rope off... film at 11 as they say
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2246
Superunknown90

Likes (Received): 35

Yo! Shushi's pretty good. They often do deals.
Superunknown90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2247
NewcastleStu

Quote:
They ve taken the ads down. Funny enough I emailed on Friday to see if they had applied for permission on the glassed off area and if not if NCC proposed to enforce. Also to check how much of the paved area they were entitled to rope off... film at 11 as they say
Let us know the response NP. I only care because I walk past on a workday and it's blocked my walking route
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2248
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
Let us know the response NP. I only care because I walk past on a workday and it's blocked my walking route
Mine too. I recommend my technique....

My reading is that the [formerly] illuminated line of glass tiles forms the edge of their plot. If the seats and rope barriers intrude over that line I simply unclip the rope [without re clipping it] and walk through. The rope has been known to be carelessly dropped to the floor several feet from the original location.
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2249
Squipper

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:

My reading is that the [formerly] illuminated line of glass tiles forms the edge of their plot. If the seats and rope barriers intrude over that line I simply unclip the rope [without re clipping it] and walk through. The rope has been known to be carelessly dropped to the floor several feet from the original location.
I like it!

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2250
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 914

Swan House - Public Right of Way

Quote:

The matter of whether the precincts of Swan House (55 Degrees North) is a public right of way was discussed back in August 2011 and the chain of thought was that it wasn't so.

Therefore any incursions into any pre-described walkways would be at the discretion of the landlord of the building

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2251
Squipper

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
The matter of whether the precincts of Swan House (55 Degrees North) is a public right of way was discussed back in August 2011 and the chain of thought was that it wasn't so.

Therefore any incursions into any pre-described walkways would be at the discretion of the landlord of the building
Although having a pub/restaurant there and Metro Radio would give an implied permission of access. Using it as a shortcut is a slightly different matter however.

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2252
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:

I remember doing a bit of digging with NCC with regard to the stairs. There are [I think] two dimensions to it. I am operating on the basis that Bob S essentially has title to [or control over] the area to the north of the line and mainly to the west of the the front of the building [if that makes sense] but that the areas outside of that boundary are owned by someone else, so without the someone else's consent it can't be blocked. When he tried to build his glass covered area to the south of the bldg it was shifted at warp speed .

I'd need to do some serious digging into rights of way, property law etc. There's none of the usual 'courtesy' signs, private land and no right of way etc. My guesstimate is that under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 where a right of way has been actually enjoyed by the public as a right and without interruption for a full period of 20 years, then the way is deemed to have been dedicated as a highway unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary.

There's also the question of easement, as if the landowner [whoever it might be] suddenly closed the paths then it would render parts of Newcastle east of the roundabout almost inaccessible by foot from the west [and vice versa] or rather it could require a pretty substantial detour. though that depends on where the boundary of the site might be. Less clear cut tho'.

Anyway - I've asked NCC for some clarification.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2253
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
I remember doing a bit of digging with NCC with regard to the stairs. There are [I think] two dimensions to it. I am operating on the basis that Bob S essentially has title to [or control over] the area to the north of the line and mainly to the west of the the front of the building [if that makes sense] but that the areas outside of that boundary are owned by someone else, so without the someone else's consent it can't be blocked. When he tried to build his glass covered area to the south of the bldg it was shifted at warp speed .

I'd need to do some serious digging into rights of way, property law etc. There's none of the usual 'courtesy' signs, private land and no right of way etc. My guesstimate is that under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 where a right of way has been actually enjoyed by the public as a right and without interruption for a full period of 20 years, then the way is deemed to have been dedicated as a highway unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary.

There's also the question of easement, as if the landowner [whoever it might be] suddenly closed the paths then it would render parts of Newcastle east of the roundabout almost inaccessible by foot from the west [and vice versa] or rather it could require a pretty substantial detour. though that depends on where the boundary of the site might be. Less clear cut tho'.

Anyway - I've asked NCC for some clarification.
I can recall a discussion,. not sure if it was on this forum about the closure of one of the pedestrian underpasses a number of years ago (from memory its a one that came out close to Cale House). Anyway its closed and boarded up - owners of Swan House closed it as they didn't want the additional maintenance costs for a subway that wasn't much used.

Not sure if they are there now but there used to be numerous signs around Swan House saying no public right of way.

Here are the contact details NP - Phone: 0191 277 8955
Email: rightsofway@newcastle.gov.uk

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2254
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
I can recall a discussion,. not sure if it was on this forum about the closure of one of the pedestrian underpasses a number of years ago (from memory its a one that came out close to Cale House). Anyway its closed and boarded up - owners of Swan House closed it as they didn't want the additional maintenance costs for a subway that wasn't much used.

Not sure if they are there now but there used to be numerous signs around Swan House saying no public right of way.

Here are the contact details NP - Phone: 0191 277 8955
Email: rightsofway@newcastle.gov.uk
That was the crew that I contacted.

You re right regarding the boarded up tunnel, and I am sure it was here with maps etc.

I'm pretty sure the signs are not there now, or rather they re not on my usual route [Holy Jesus - Moseley St crossing, and I am pretty sure they're not on the Northern ext to Pilgrim St. I ve been at this address for about 10 years and I'm fairly confident they ve not been there for that time but you never know....

This was a posting of yours I found, the link is now dead as a dodo...

Quote:
Found this @ http://www.55degreesnorth.co.uk/?page_id=2

Historically, in order to negotiate the surrounding road system, pedestrian access to the site was via 4 subways, one from the north between the sub-station buildings, two from the west either side of Moseley Street and one from the south east corner. Of the two subways from the west the southern most one has been filled in and a new at-grade pedestrian crossing located at the end of Mosley Street. The other subway remains, but on a 24 month trial basis to see how the at-grade crossing operates. The subway north has been enhanced and shortened in length by removing the section of unnecessary roof spanning the two substation buildings, whereas the access from the south-east remains structurally unchanged.

The space created around the southern and western edges of the building provides a new public pedestrian route through the site and represents a well used link between the city centre and the quayside. The area to the south of the building has a resin bound gravel surface with elements in the space aligned to direct the flow of people.

A 46 metre long, pulsing LED lighting strip runs from the at-grade crossing leading pedestrians ‘around’ the building. This directing of pedestrians is augmented by a line of black concrete benches and finally, for the avoidance of doubt, by a stainless steel arrow set into the wall at the entrance point to the south-eastern subway.
It's the illuminated strip I ve regarded as being a sort of 'boundary'. It is a hypothetical but if 'Swan House' [as opposed to just fat Buddha] wanted to [and could] 'gate' the path limiting access to tenants and customers it would present some interesting pedestrian problems for the city.

Last edited by newcastlepubs; August 26th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2255
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

55 Degrees Update.

Quote:
Sent: 27 August 2013 14:01
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 55 degrees

Hi xxxxxxx

You are correct in your understanding that the footways in question are classed as 'highway by use'

The Highways Act 1980 states;

"Where any way over land, other than a way of such a character that use of it by the public could not give rise at common law to any presumption of dedication, has been actually enjoyed by the public as of right and without interruption for a full period of 20 years, the way is deemed to have been dedicated as a highway unless there is sufficient evidence that there was no intention during that period to dedicate it"

I have passed your comments about blockages on to the highway inspector for that area. However enforcement of the width of a right of way over private land is more difficult to carry out than that over adopted highway. Providing there is still a through route available there will be little he can do to remove any items.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just walked thru the ropes
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2256
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
55 Degrees Update.

Just walked thru the ropes
Bit of a minefield from a legal/enforcement perspective then

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2257
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
Bit of a minefield from a legal/enforcement perspective then
I'd say there's some very lucrative chargeable units lurking if someone put their mind to it . In reality [as we're talking about a 4ft incursion south of the line it's probably a visit from highways where it might be suggested over a coffee for all to have any easy life they move the ropes [frankly moving them west slightly would leave a straight walkway].
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2258
NewcastleStu

Ha ha, I noticed the rope was unclipped tonight and made use of the fact it was down. I don't care about the tables as such it's just that they put up that rope/sign barrier to block off the public right of way.
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2259
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Quote:
Ha ha, I noticed the rope was unclipped tonight and made use of the fact it was down. I don't care about the tables as such it's just that they put up that rope/sign barrier to block off the public right of way.
That rope being unclipped might not be entirely unrelated to my passage at about 3pm . They re not that attentive at putting it back
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2260
NewcastleStu

Article about micro businesses in the NE on the Journal. Mentions that 99 place that replaced Ma Provence. Anyone checked it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journal
Boom for North East's micro businesses

By Adrian Pearson
Comments

Boom for North East's micro businesses
28 Aug 2013 14:00

Figures released show that the region is at the forefront of new small firms with more people in Newcastle taking the chance to set up their own business
Jamie Mussett and Annelies Mackay, who run Ninety Nine in the centre of Newcastle Jamie Mussett and Annelies Mackay, who run Ninety Nine in the centre of Newcastle

More micro businesses are setting up in Newcastle than anywhere else, research shows.

Despite a reputation for having a dominant public sector, new figures suggest many in the North East are taking the chance to set up their own business.

Micro businesses, typically with just a few employers and an initially low turnover, are on the rise despite continuing economic uncertainty.

Freelancer.co.uk, an online market place for small firms, said Newcastle and Brighton has seen the highest annual growth in new micro businesses, at 24%.

Bill Little, the website’s European director, said: “This has been different from other recessions in that people can set up businesses really quickly.

“People are being made redundant and there has been a huge boom in self-employment. Even though the recession was difficult, it gave an opportunity to lots of people starting up businesses.”

One of those hoping to make a success of it is Jamie Mussett who, eight weeks ago, opened the Ninety Nine fast food venue in Newcastle’s Central Arcade.
More at: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...s-rise-5793751

Tags
café, cafes, chinese restaurants, chip shops, fast food, food, indian restaurants, mcdonalds, newcastle, newcastle retail, restaurant, restaurants, take away, take aways, wimpy