daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland

Queensland Brisbane

Old August 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1241
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 784

I wonder if they have signed up a hotel and this would impact on the staging? It could help the tale tower get up, especially as there isn't a massive need for office space currently (this was meant to be stage 2 after the competition of the car park.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1242
bribri

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
I wonder if they have signed up a hotel and this would impact on the staging? It could help the tale tower get up, especially as there isn't a massive need for office space currently (this was meant to be stage 2 after the competition of the car park.
I thought they had signed up Four Seasons.
wasn't that announced some time back?
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1243
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 1694

It would be the first I've heard of it. You're not thinking of what will be a Four Points by Sheraton hotel next door are you?
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1244
gerryt1

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaran View Post
Maybe they are waiting for the change of CBD height limit.
As the developer said on the day of approval, they would continue to try to get approval for the original design with 293m resi tower.
I hope the airport authorities accept increasing the height limit of the CBD to 350m.
It's nearly 10 months the Mayor has submitted the request to aviation authorities but no news on that yet.
When the Mayor said he had written to CASA requesting that building heights be allowed to 300-350m he mentioned that he wanted to get it in in time for when they handed down their decision in Feb 2014. (I think)
gerryt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1245
bribri

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
It would be the first I've heard of it. You're not thinking of what will be a Four Points by Sheraton hotel next door are you?
Might have been Shangri La, pretty sure someone mentioned a hotel commitment for this some time back but my memory could be faulty.
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1246
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 239

There has been no decision of the hotel operator yet unfortunately.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1247
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 784

I think we were just trying to guess who it may of been that they were in negotiations with. I remember us talking about some operators, but I do not remember anything about contracts being signed.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1248
Timothy

Likes (Received): 48

I remember Four Seasons, Westin and Shangri-La were discussed as the potential calibre of what they were hoping to get, though Four Seasons is actually much nicer than the other two to be honest. I'd like an Intercontinental.

Last edited by Timothy; August 27th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #1249
opinions are my own

Likes (Received): 83

i think i read somewhere that the backside has fallen out of the brisbane hotel market in the last 6 months. a hotel might not be too easy.
38921111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1250
chrisco

Likes (Received): 0

Rumour has the hotel as Conrad....
Doubt Four Seasons would open another hotel in Australia

Shangri-la already has traders operating in Roma street
Intercontinental....don't think so
chrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1251
DQ

Likes (Received): 118

Does anyone know if they've actually started pouring the basement floor yet?
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #1252
Timothy

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisco View Post
Rumour has the hotel as Conrad....
Doubt Four Seasons would open another hotel in Australia

Shangri-la already has traders operating in Roma street
Intercontinental....don't think so
Why Conrad? Why wouldn't Four Seasons open another hotel in Australia? Why does Shangri-La having traders prevent them from opening a Shangri-La? Why not Intercontinental, given they have a hotel in ADELAIDE?
Timothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1253
brissieroy

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38921111 View Post
i think i read somewhere that the backside has fallen out of the brisbane hotel market in the last 6 months. a hotel might not be too easy.
I read a similar article recently...I think its just media scaremongering
brissieroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1254
gerryt1

I hope this doesn't get you horny because it's nothing spectacular. Seeing as we haven't been fortunate enough to get any pics posted for a long time I thought I'd share with you what I found out today from one of the concrete workers.

Two floors of the basement have been completed. The lift core,( framework can be seen just beside the crane tower from Mary Street) is up to the sixth floor. He said that there was still a bit of digging to do on the Margaret Street side (something to do with allowing water to be pumped away more easily if needed). There are only two excavators on site now compared with what he said was about eight initially (I think that might be a bit exaggerated).

They are working on the Mary Street side first so I'm not sure if the completed floors go right across the basement or not (never thought to ask until later) but if there is still some digging to be done on that side..........

There are a couple of columns can be seen over on the Margaret Street side which were not visible to me at the weekend so maybe they miraculously appeared today.

He seemed to think that they are on track to fit in with Billbergia's prediction of completion early 2014. That still means twelve months from Feb this year when they got going in earnest. Seems a long time.

It would be lovely if somebody could get us some photos. Nudge,nudge, wink,wink.

KJBrissy, plaran, PeterJackson, fish.01, squid and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by gerryt1; September 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1255
PeterJackson

Likes (Received): 1323

Some good news,I hope they sell the hotel very soon
Quote:
Hotel sale sees future emerge out of Vision
BILLION-DOLLAR plans for a mixed-use development on the Brisbane site that was once home to the Vision project have received a shot in the arm with the $200 million hotel component going on sale.
Joint venture partners AMP Capital and private developer Billbergia are looking to pre-sell the five-star hotel at 222 Margaret Street, with most of the interest tipped to come out of Asia.
Agents McVay Real Estate and Savills are offering the hotel, which will be inside what will become Brisbane's tallest tower.
The planned development in the city's heart will incorporate a 274m mixed-use tower, including the five-star hotel and up to 850 apartments.
A second tower, fronting Mary Street, will house up to 35,000sq m of A-grade office space. If a Queensland government lease can be tied down, that element of the project is also expected to come to market.
The 380-room hotel is being pitched as the city's first five-star in 14 years, though it will face some competition as rival developers have projects in the works.
The key attraction is the offer of a hotel with vacant possession, which could see operators that are under-represented in Queensland -- including the likes of Starwood, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Park Hyatt or even Mandarin Oriental -- team up with real estate investors to secure a hotel.
Selling agent Dan McVay of McVay Real Estate said that several global hotel brands had already expressed interest in operating the hotel, which demonstrated the strong demand for a new Brisbane CBD hotel.
Michael Simpson of Savills added that the tightly held Brisbane market had an acute shortage of luxury hotel accommodation.
http://m.theaustralian.com.au/busine...-1226709346886
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1256
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1467

todays finrev

KJBrissy, gerryt1, plaran liked this post
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1257
gerryt1

Maybe, just maybe, those revised DA changes that are being processed do have something to do with the revised staging (in progress) of construction and for the reasons that we are hoping.

Last edited by gerryt1; September 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:16 AM   #1258
brisbane123

Likes (Received): 1

Finally some news... Uuuggggghhh I just want to see this tower constructed already
brisbane123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1259
finn

Likes (Received): 546

Wow, can't believe the Marriott was completed in 1999. It's such a late 80's early 90's cookie-cutter post modern design.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1260
opinions are my own

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Wow, can't believe the Marriott was completed in 1999. It's such a late 80's early 90's cookie-cutter post modern design.
i think that applies to the marriott brand in general
38921111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, tallest