daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old July 19th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1021
SuttonBaggie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
Surely they must consider building a station in Mere Green in the next few years? It would be great for the local community with regards to local retail developments such as mulberry walk etc. Waitrose site or the estate angents would be decent locations. Even Lichfield road.
The other issue with creating a new station on the Lichfield to New Street Cross City Line is there are capacity issues:

Up to 15,900 new homes proposed near busy Lichfield to Birmingham rail route

By now you should be aware of the Birmingham Development Plan 2031, which includes the proposal to build up to 6,000 new homes (c.15,000 residents) and industrial zone on the Sutton Coldfield green belt over the next 20 years.

But did you know Lichfield District Council, just 15 miles north of Sutton Coldfield, have published a Local Plan? They are proposing to build 9,900 new dwellings increasing the population by 15,500 in the District over 20 years.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; June 6th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
SuttonBaggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1022
minus90

Likes (Received): 2

Four Oaks

An Application has gone into demolish the Petrol Station in Four Oaks and replace it with a Sainsbury's Local.
Walsall Road by the Crown

See details here http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...APP&key=597215

Last edited by minus90; August 5th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
minus90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1023
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus90 View Post
An Application has gone into demolish the Petrol Station in Four Oaks and replace it with a Sainsbury's Local.
Walsall Road by the Crown

See details here http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...APP&key=597215

...But there's a tesco's literally right next door.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1024
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBaggie View Post
The other issue with creating a new station on the Lichfield to New Street Cross City Line is there are capacity issues:

Read Story: http://www.suttoncoldfieldrural.com/...ail-route.html

Sutton Coldfield Green Belt Campaign
http://www.suttoncoldfieldrural.com
Ah right, thanks. Something is going to have to be done soon. When I used to get rush hour trains into brum (Blake Street to New Street) at about 8am, there were already very few seats available, and even with 6 car trains.

Surely it wouldn't cost an awful lot to introduce 9 car trains? Extend some of the key station's platforms for example, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Chester Road... and add some 172's to the line. Well maybe it might cost a bit, but they really do need to look at it.

Also what came out yesterday regarding prices, I'm not complaining too much beacuse I use a student railcard, but if you take it like this, think how far you travel in miles, and then compare that with the price it would cost to take your car to the destination and park it for the time etc. Car will usually be more expensive. Even with a relatively 'green' one.

For example, Recently I have made a few trips down to Bodmin from Brum. It cost me about £90 in fuel there and back. Then I had to pay £32.50 parking charge whilst I was down there. compare this with train prices. My colleague who doesnt drive got the train down and back for £66.50 return! It was on a student ticket too but normal prices were at the time £115 return. Slightly cheaper on the train it turns out.

With this said, does anyone think the prices will have a major impact on passenger numbers?

Old August 16th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1025
SuttonBaggie

Quote:
Ah right, thanks. Something is going to have to be done soon. When I used to get rush hour trains into brum (Blake Street to New Street) at about 8am, there were already very few seats available, and even with 6 car trains.

Surely it wouldn't cost an awful lot to introduce 9 car trains? Extend some of the key station's platforms for example, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Chester Road... and add some 172's to the line. Well maybe it might cost a bit, but they really do need to look at it.

Also what came out yesterday regarding prices, I'm not complaining too much beacuse I use a student railcard, but if you take it like this, think how far you travel in miles, and then compare that with the price it would cost to take your car to the destination and park it for the time etc. Car will usually be more expensive. Even with a relatively 'green' one.

For example, Recently I have made a few trips down to Bodmin from Brum. It cost me about £90 in fuel there and back. Then I had to pay £32.50 parking charge whilst I was down there. compare this with train prices. My colleague who doesnt drive got the train down and back for £66.50 return! It was on a student ticket too but normal prices were at the time £115 return. Slightly cheaper on the train it turns out.

With this said, does anyone think the prices will have a major impact on passenger numbers?

Could of eventually operated passenger trains on Sutton Park line if they hadn't sold off a section of land near Bordesley.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; June 6th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1026
Qoasis777

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:

Could of eventually operated passenger trains on Sutton Park line if they hadn't sold off a section of land near Bordesley.

http://www.suttoncoldfieldrural.com/...e-buffers.html

They can ways CPO it if its needed
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1027
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 175

Two bits of movement in Gracechurch.

Lakeland are coming to Sutton, they are advertising in the Observer this week.

Monsoon/Accessorize is closing at the end of the month. That's a prime (yet small) plot empty.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1028
nigeman

Likes (Received): 59

Beginning to get a bit concerned about the Mulberry Walk development in Mere Green. signs up one year now saying units available Spring 2014 and 40% prelet?
1.Never going to meet that deadline
2.Surely the pre lets were signed into an opening date
My concern is there appears obviously to be no more pre lets triggering a build start and will those signed up walk away?
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1029
Writer14

Apparently M&S have pulled out of Mulberry Walk, so there'll be even less chance of it starting now.
Writer14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1030
minus90

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer14 View Post
Apparently M&S have pulled out of Mulberry Walk, so there'll be even less chance of it starting now.
Great ... nice one Sutton Municipal Charities
minus90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1031
Writer14

I genuinely can't see anything ever being done with the site now. It probably would have been better if they'd demolished all the buildings years ago, as at least we wouldn't have to look at them decaying even more. They could have then just turfed over the site like they did with the old Library land, and it would look half decent.
Writer14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1032
nigeman

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus90 View Post
Great ... nice one Sutton Municipal Charities

Don't know what problem is with Sutton Municipal Charities, great location, massive catchment area...with money. Retailers and bars/eateries, even hotels should be queuing up to locate here. Could be a real challenger to Sutton Town centre itself...something doesn't add up
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1033
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer14 View Post
Really? Seems a shame. Maybe waitrose would consider moving into the new unit?

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #1034
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 36

The new restaurant/extension at the cup looks like a nice bit of design. Quite refreshing to see.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1035
SuttonBaggie

Fears Sutton Coldfield’s Education facilities won’t be able to cope if more homes are built on the green belt

Fears Sutton Coldfield’s Education facilities won’t be able to cope if more homes are built on the green belt

A Freedom of Information request to Birmingham City Council, Sutton Coldfield Rural has discovered what residents living in Roughly and former green belt site, Harvest Fields, have known for some time – transferring children to the nearest secondary school - a single bus journey 1 mile away, is already a challenge today.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; June 6th, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1036
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Quote:

http://www.suttoncoldfieldrural.com/...reen-belt.html

They can't cope as it stands.

They must have schools and other amenities planned along with the development

Old September 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1037
SuttonBaggie

Quote:
They can't cope as it stands.

They must have schools and other amenities planned along with the development
Cabinet Member for Children and Family Services, Brigid Jones said of the situation in an email

“When housing developments are planned, a formula is applied to determine pupil yields i.e. the numbers of students expected to live in the area once the housing is fully populated. For a new 10,000 house development (using three bed houses as a marker) we would expect a yield of 325 pupils per year group equating to a new 10FE all-through school.

However, housing developments can often take many years to be completed and will be phased. Such developments are taken into account with our pupil projections to allow for planning. Where it is expected that a new development will create a pupil yield, we would request contributions from the developer to allow us to meet the needs of the influx in population.”

325 pupils from 10,000 houses (c.26,000 residents) doesn't enough places to me.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; June 6th, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #1038
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 96

Pupils per year group, not pupils total. A new 10 form entry school will cost millions, for which the developer will have to pick up the tab
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #1039
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Quote:
Cabinet Member for Children and Family Services, Brigid Jones said of the situation in an email

“When housing developments are planned, a formula is applied to determine pupil yields i.e. the numbers of students expected to live in the area once the housing is fully populated. For a new 10,000 house development (using three bed houses as a marker) we would expect a yield of 325 pupils per year group equating to a new 10FE all-through school.

However, housing developments can often take many years to be completed and will be phased. Such developments are taken into account with our pupil projections to allow for planning. Where it is expected that a new development will create a pupil yield, we would request contributions from the developer to allow us to meet the needs of the influx in population.”

325 pupils from 10,000 houses (c.26,000 residents) doesn't enough places to me.

Read full story:
http://www.suttoncoldfieldrural.com/...reen-belt.html

325 per year though.

A few schools would be needed, when I was at school years ago we had about max 150 students per year. So 2-3 schools would be about right.

Edit-just read what spread put

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1040
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 111

That would be a pretty small school, as mine was the same, 150 per yr group with 6 forms. That's small compared to a lot of schools which have 1000+ pupils.