daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South East

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #41
HerachioBlo
MajeOfficial.com

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessBeggar View Post
And what gave you the idea that Nigerians do not excel at home?

Bro, you obviously have a distorted view of Nigeria, so perhaps you should actually try living here for a while. In the meantime, posting out of context pictures (yet again) does little or nothing to advance your positions. The same Addis Ababa has LESS paved sidewalks and streetlights than Lagos (not quite sure where you came up with the notion of a sidewalk-less Lagos). Nevertheless, your picture post would be akin to someone selectively posting a picture of the Abuja Stadium or the Airport Expressway as evidence of the state of Nigerian public infrastructure.
Lagos shouldn't have a worst airport than Addis. Period. I don't care if Lagos has move paved roads. It should have more paved roads/sidewalks and a better airport. Stop making excuses. Can you compare MMA to Ibrahim Babangida's home?

nothing in Nigeria has this level of quality and you know as well as I that i can go on and on with political opulence. But this same person will call this an airport.

both built with public funds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ours.
HerachioBlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 28th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #42
Daverytimes

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerachioBlo View Post
Lagos shouldn't have a worst airport than Addis. Period. I don't care if Lagos has move paved roads. It should have more paved roads/sidewalks and a better airport. Stop making excuses. Can you compare MMA to Ibrahim Babangida's home?

nothing in Nigeria has this level of quality and you know as well as I that i can go on and on with political opulence. But this same person will call this an airport.

Jesus! that is Babangidas home? my god . imagine if they (the government) were actually serious about making our Airports nice, if i was President i will start building a state of the art Airport right away. The first impression anyone has of Nigeria starts from the Airport, when that impression starts with MMA then that person will definitely go home with a sour taste left in their mouth.

Last edited by Daverytimes; March 28th, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Daverytimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #43
Tbite
Expert

That is not Babangida's home
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #44
Tegh7

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:

I don't quite know how best one can get through to you. Consequently, I'II leave you to your inanity.

Last edited by Tegh7; March 28th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Tegh7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #45
Arinze

Likes (Received): 2108

Lol you have graced by the Heratioblo/Ajepako experience

To be honest the airport that disappoints me the most is the one in Abuja. Upon all the money that reach that place the end result is very very very basic or maybe I've only been privy to a few lackluster photos.
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #46
JoblessBeggar

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
First, that's not Mr. Babangida's house.

Nevertheless, returning to the substance of the matter under discourse, you posted yet another out-of-context picture of one new terminal in Addis (which btw is hardly better than the MMIA that was built about 40 years ago) in a misguided attempt to show how other countries are supposedly more ambitious than Nigeria (never mind that Nigeria is presently modernizing 22 terminals simultaneously, rather than one relatively small terminal), but yet you proclaim not to "care if Lagos has more paved roads!" SMDH

PS: Btw, would it surprise you if you found out that there are more strip malls in the US (the same US that you want Nigeria to be like) than fanciful ones.
JoblessBeggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #47
Tegh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post
Lol you have graced by the Heratioblo/Ajepako experience
Indeed!

Quote:
To be honest the airport that disappoints me the most is the one in Abuja. Upon all the money that reach that place the end result is very very very basic or maybe I've only been privy to a few lackluster photos.
The terminal is nice, just not large enough. Plans are afoot toward addressing the situation. I think the Abuja airport was "earmarked" as one to get a BRAND NEW terminal; alongside MMA, Port harcourt and Kano.

Last edited by Tegh7; March 30th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #48
Rossike

Likes (Received): 49

That picture of Enugu airport juxtaposed with what the poster claims is IBB's house, is outdated.

15 airports including Enugu, are being remodelled, and contracts are out to build 6 brand new terminal buildings at key airports in the country.
Rossike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #49
Tegh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossike View Post
That picture of Enugu airport juxtaposed with what the poster claims is IBB's house, is outdated.
15 airports including Enugu, are being remodelled, and contracts are out to build 6 brand new terminal buildings at key airports in the country.
True!
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:08 PM   #50
JoblessBeggar

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossike View Post

Exactly.
JoblessBeggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #51
Madubaymi

Likes (Received): 5

Proposed Aba Mega Mall by the Abia State government/private partnership

Quote:
Abia partners Greenfield Assets on world-class mega mall
August 26, 2013 | Filed under: Company News | Posted by: Editor
Leading real estate investment and infrastructure company, Greenfield Assets Limited, in consortium with its development partners from Canada, US and UK, was recently granted the development lease agreement right to build the Aba Mega Mall by the Abia State government.

The Aba Mega Mall is a spirited effort by the Abia State government under Governor Theodore Orji to utilise the entrepreneurial spirit of the average Aba resident to its advantage by encouraging development of modern shopping centres as decent alternatives to what obtains at the present.

To be erected on 23 hectares of land, in 12 months, the Aba Mega Mall would consist of 5,830 ultramodern shops which will come in four sizes of 12 sq. metres, 16 sq. metres, 24 sq. metres and 48 sq. metres.

The facility will also have provisions for banks, security post, petrol station, 25,000 sq. metres of climate-controlled warehouse space, restaurants and a massive parking space for over 5,000 cars.

The Abia State governor, Theodore Orji, said that when completed, the mall would be capable of “generating employment opportunities, as the new businesses and the mall facility management will require considerable manpower in excess of 20,000 direct jobs and over 100,000 indirect jobs”.

According to him, “The conception and realisation of the need to build a modern mega shopping mall in the city is a part of my administration’s drive to transform the landscape of Abia through our Urban Regeneration Policy, thereby providing a decent life for the people of the state.”

The governor, while extolling Greenfield as a company that seeks to empower the lives of the people, said, “If you want to see Aba, you have to bend down to discover it. Greenfield came, bent down and discovered Aba, unlike others in the past who have come standing.”

Speaking at the signing ceremony, CEO Greenfield Assets, Paul Obanua, said to develop the mega mall, the company would be working with its development partners, one of which is JK Structures UK Ltd to introduce cutting edge concrete building technology.

“Tried and tested in various parts of the world, the technology, for example, was used in developing the Euro Disney, Paris, the largest amusement park in Europe,” said Obanua.

“This system entails the use of three dimensional galvanised steel meshes reinforced with galvanised wire beam and alleviated concrete. The JK Structures system can deliver top quality mass housing and other civil works in a fraction of the time it takes using conventional building methods,” he further said.

Source; BusinessDay

Last edited by Madubaymi; August 26th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Madubaymi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #52
Madubaymi

RENDERING FILM FOOTAGE OF THE PROPOSED ABA MEGA MALL PROJECT

Last edited by Madubaymi; September 9th, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #53
ekezeaso
BANNED

Likes (Received): 65

As much as I hope and pray that this project comes to reality I just don't trust the Governor of Abia State. The man is just so backward thinking, clueless and corrupt that I will be highly surprise if this project sees the light of the day. Gosh how I hope that this project was going on in Enugu, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Rivers, or even Imo State. Orji is just too corrupt and incompetent to pull it off, But I pray and hope that I am wrong. Guys is this project a private sector funded project or a government project?
ekezeaso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #54
Madubaymi

I hear you bro, but this is a private initiative. I pray it will manifest.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:46 PM   #55
Naijaborn

Likes (Received): 2207

N50bn Aba Mega Mall: The World’s First Smart Mall is Taking Shape in Eastern Nigeria

Quote:
VENTURES AFRICA – Greenfield Assets Limited, in partnership with the Abia State government is currently developing the first purpose-built Smart Mall in the world and the largest Mall in Africa – Aba Mega Mall. The N50 billion ($260 million) project is driven by the company’s belief in the African potential, and in Public Private Partnerships (PPP) as a panacea for rapid development in Africa.

Sitting on a 280,000 square meter space in Osisioma Ngwa LGA of Abia State, Nigeria, the Aba Mega Mall will be one of the largest in the world. The Ultra-Modern Trade and Distribution Centre will comprise of 5,830 shops, with amenities such as 24 hours power supply, Water & Waste Management, Banks, Game Arcades, Petrol Station, Cinema, Climate Controlled Warehouse, Bus Shuttle etc., all managed and maintained by world class Facility Managers.

These facilities are connected to an e-commerce hub to enable physical and online visitors fast access to information and services for business activities without being physically present in the mall. As stated on it’s website, the Smart Mall concept is all about harnessing the potential of technology to enhance leisure, shopping and business efficiency. This will ultimately translate into better use of resources, less impact on the environment, a more interactive and responsive administration, as well as a safer shopping and business experience.

The mall will no doubt boost commerce in Nigeria; expanding economic activities in the south-east and south-south region of the country. As Managing Director of Greenfield Assets, Paul Obanua, told Vanguard, “the Mega Mall project is geared towards creating a commercial hub for the entire eastern and south-south regions of the country, designed to stimulate the urban renewal of Aba city, by providing a structured facility where trading and other commercial activities can be done in an orderly manner. This project attempts to sanitise the city by giving the people of Aba a dignified trading centre, which from a survey conducted by us, the traders and dwellers in the city are eager to have operational.

Infrastructural Development

Nigeria’s economic growth is partly dependent on the availability of functional commercial infrastructures like the Aba Mega Mall, Palms Shopping Mall, Ikeja City Mall, and a host of others that converge to provide a healthy environment for the free flow of goods and services across the country. Such infrastructures are at the forefront of the expanding retail market in the country, and are key elements in diversifying the opportunities which can bring about shared growth.

“Infrastructure is the cornerstone of the African economy and it is crucial for African governments to step up their investment in this sector if poverty is to be eliminated in Africa. Africa has undergone fundamental changes over the last decade which in turn has fuelled demand for infrastructure services including energy, transportation, ICT, water supply, growing agriculture and urban infrastructure,” as stated by New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD).

Public-Private Partnership (PPP)

The idea of public-private partnership (PPPs) is fast becoming a debate of interest in the world, especially in developing countries. In most developing countries, the government alone cannot afford provision of standard infrastructures needed for the economic development, hence the call for the intervention of the private sector. Private owned companies like Greenfield Assets Limited, in partnership with the government, play a significant role in the reduction of infrastructural development problem for sustainable growth.

When asked whether or not PPP would enhance development in Nigeria, Paul Obanua said that it would, but that the government should always fulfil their end of the bargain by keeping to agreements. “The government alone does not have the money and all other resources to develop the country …. Hence governments across the country should do everything possible to encourage private investors and keep to PPP agreements.”

Retail Revolution

According to reports by The Sun, mega malls led Nigeria to a retail revolution in 2014. The increase of shopping malls helped redefine consumers’ lifestyle in the areas where they are established. The Aba Mega Mall project shows there’s no end to the surge in the growth of the county’s retail sector.

Nigeria represents one of the largest opportunities for the Africa’s retail sector, owing to its huge consumer market and increasingly urbanised population base. In an interview with BusinessDay, Japie Swart, Chief Operating Officer of Resilient Africa, said “the potential of this market is unlimited and it is relatively immature. We see big international retailers coming here in the next two to three years. I think Africa is the flavour of the moment and it is only natural for international investors to migrate to the continent.”

The Aba Mega Mall is not the only commercial infrastructural project to be launched in Nigeria this year, the Delta City Mall located at Effurun, Delta State, is expected to open in March 2015. The mall is said to occupy 14,000 square metres gross lettable area, with 65 individual shops.
Ventures-Africa
3InvestOnline

1WindyCity, ekema liked this post
Naijaborn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:47 PM   #56
Naijaborn

It's just Amazing how little buzz or information there is online and in the media about such an important project .... chei
http://www.abamegamall.com/Home

Last edited by Naijaborn; March 1st, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:53 PM   #57
kingcharlz87

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naijaborn View Post
It's just Amazing how little buzz or information there is online and in the media about such an important project .... chei
Welcome to nigeria were outsiders know more about eko atlantic than nigerians. The level of schepticism toward any developement in nigeria is unhealthy and dangerous.

Naijaborn, mekon liked this post
kingcharlz87 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM   #58
1WindyCity

Likes (Received): 283

Naijaborn, why are you surprised? Or are you being cynical with that statement? We all know how little information gets disseminated in the country. But I think quite honestly, it's the duty of the developers of this project to do the selling through all means to get the buzz out to the people.

Naijaborn, mekon liked this post
1WindyCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:57 PM   #59
Naijaborn

More on the Aba Mega Mall U/C

ONITSHA BUSINESSES LOOK TO ABA FOR SOUTH-EAST CORRIDOR EXPANSION -

Quote:
Trading businesses in Onitsha, which has one of West-Africa’s largest concentraton of commercial activities are looking to Aba for a south-east expansion, on the back of the imposing Aba Mega Mall, which is currently under construction in Abia state of Nigeria.

The $300 million Aba Mega Mall project, promoted by Greenfield Assets Limited, an infrastructure development firm, to boost commercial activities in the region, sits on 25 hectares land and will on completion, consist of 5,830 ultramodern shops in four sizes of 12sq meters, 16sq meters, 24sq meters and 48sq meters respectively.

The facility will have provision for banks, security post; 25,000sq meters climate-controlled warehouse space, restaurants, entertainment centres, childrens’ play area and a massive parking space for over 5,000 cars.

Meanwhile the South-East Amalgamated Traders Association (SEAMATA), an umbrella body of traders in the South-East region of the country, has endorsed the project, which they describe as laudable. The traders body urged their members across the country to support the project which they say is good for the region, as it is providing the needed infrastructure to ensure that they regain their place in commerce in Africa.

Also on Sunday, over 120 business leaders, cutting across various markets in Onitsha, Anambra State and representatives of the business section of Onitsha Sports Club, took a tour of the facility, located at Osisioma area of Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State. Innocent Agudiegwu, chairman, Onitsha Main Market, who led the group to Aba, to ascertain the extent of work at the facility, argued that it would change the face of trading and commerce in the South-East region.

“I am very impressed with what I have seen here today. What they are doing here is fantastic. You cannot get something like this in Onitsha. We have been expecting this kind of thing and God has brought it to our doorsteps and we are going to buy into it, “Agudiegwu said.

Ugo Umeseaka, managing director, Aba Mega Mall Limited, told BusinessDay that about 1,000 traders in Onitsha have indicated interest in buying shops in the mall. Umesiaka further said a cross section of traders from various markets in Onitsha had been taken to see the extent of work at the mall. These, he said, included those who have collected their allotment papers to identify where their shops are. He attributed the fast pace of work at the mall to hard work and the grace of God. “We also believe that this project is a vision for the entire South-East and we are custodians of the vision and we are working hard to make sure it is realised and in good time, knowing that it will affect trade and commerce, it will drive poverty away and improve on the way people live in the Southeast.

“It will also attract foreign patrons and improve international trade, as many people from all parts of the world would trade comfortably, because of the facilities we offer.

He further said, “This is not your normal open market structure. There is security, constant power supply and a bonded terminal. It comes with a total package that supports any level of commerce all over. “They are happy with the quality of work and we are assuring that we would maintain it and that in the shortest possible time, they would be buying and selling in the mall,” he promised.

Tony Orji, branch manager, First City Monument Bank, Faulks Road Branch, one of the major financiers of the project, assured the traders that the sum of N3.6 billion, the total money for the first phase of the project is ready. Orji however explained that the project money was being released in tranches, and that the first tranche of N725 million has gone into the project already.

He commended the management of Green Field Assets Limited, owners of the mall, for prudent management of According to him, they have been frugal and transparent in the deployment of the money released to them. “That money was meant for ten structures but we are seeing is 15 structures springing up, which means that they have utilised the money well. “
The second tranche will be released soon. So the issue of funds has been taken care of, because we are seeing what the money is being used for. And we are happy that they have even surpassed what they were given. “We are excited; doing this shop has given us that comfort that everybody will get their shops as they make their contribution. Another good thing about this project is that the company is not using off-checkers money to build. The money they pay is in their account and will not be touched until they complete their contribution, “he affirmed.

Old March 1st, 2015, 09:01 PM   #60
Naijaborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlz87 View Post
Welcome to nigeria were outsiders know more about eko atlantic than nigerians. The level of schepticism toward any developement in nigeria is unhealthy and dangerous.
I saw that headline today in a pro-Black website online, and went to research deeper about it... still I couldn't get decent pictures of the site.
developmental awareness among Nigerians is just low generally... the would rather be interested in Tonto Dike