daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #301
Steppish

Likes (Received): 152

The canal is amazing. This time of year especially, but even in deepest winter I love it. I'll grant you your concerns about it being cut off or remote though. I've lived in Glasgow since 97 and never more than 15 minutes walk from the canal. Yet it was only the last couple years I even set foot beside it. Nothing draws you to it unless you decide to explore.

It's like the Clyde itself until recent years - Glasgow seems to have a bad habit of turning it's back on what should be it's strongest assets. Especially when the canal runs through/beside so many of Glasgow's deprived northern areas - it could be the key to helping start the regeneration of them.

Not sure maryhill locks development is cut off though - it's on the city centre side, nothing is cutting it off from the centre. If anything it's the north side areas that are cut off.

Still, the more they develop along there the better. It has so much potential. Hope to **** that substandard 'it'll do' shite doesn,'t get built over from Firhill - it deserves better.
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 19th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #302
Charlie_

Likes (Received): 1570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppish View Post
The canal is amazing. This time of year especially, but even in deepest winter I love it. I'll grant you your concerns about it being cut off or remote though. I've lived in Glasgow since 97 and never more than 15 minutes walk from the canal. Yet it was only the last couple years I even set foot beside it. Nothing draws you to it unless you decide to explore.

It's like the Clyde itself until recent years - Glasgow seems to have a bad habit of turning it's back on what should be it's strongest assets. Especially when the canal runs through/beside so many of Glasgow's deprived northern areas - it could be the key to helping start the regeneration of them.

Not sure maryhill locks development is cut off though - it's on the city centre side, nothing is cutting it off from the centre. If anything it's the north side areas that are cut off.

Still, the more they develop along there the better. It has so much potential. Hope to **** that substandard 'it'll do' shite doesn,'t get built over from Firhill - it deserves better.
Yeah sorry, after posting that I googled the locks and realized I was describing completely different flats - some (really nice) newish flats with balconies on the northside just after Ruchill street. The fact they weren't at the locks should really have tipped me off
Charlie_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #303
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Celebrating heritage along Scotland’s waterways

Historic Scotland and Scottish Canals are to embark on a new project to evaluate the buildings along Scotland’s canals – eighty buildings will be assessed to see if they meet the criteria for listing.

Scotland’s network of canals stretch 137 miles from coast to coast and attract millions of visitors each year. The project, which has just begun, will also review around 40 listed buildings in Scottish Canals’ ownership along the Forth and Clyde and Union canals in the Lowlands, the Crinan Canal in Argyll and the Caledonian Canal in the Highlands.

The review of the listed buildings associated with the canals will also help to shape the implementation of Scottish Canals’ heritage strategy, which lays out the organisation’s 25-year vision to preserve the cultural and natural assets of the waterways through positive heritage management.

Elizabeth McCrone, Head of Listing and Designed Landscapes at Historic Scotland said: “We are excited to announce this project with Scottish Canals. Scotland’s canal heritage spans the centuries and an enormous variety of building types - from industrial to domestic such as Bona Lighthouse at Loch Ness, based on designs by the renowned engineer, Thomas Telford; Applecross Street Workshops, the oldest surviving canal related building in Scotland and the Union Inn on the Union Canal in Falkirk. These are just a few of the 40 listed buildings owned by Scottish Canals along our waterways.

“At the end of the project we will have an in-depth understanding of the relative importance of Scottish Canals’ estate and the best of these canal buildings will be recognised through listing. We hope to celebrate the results of our findings in a joint publication.”

Dr Sabina Strachan, Heritage Team Leader for Scottish Canals, said: “We’re delighted to be working with Historic Scotland on such an exciting project, as the vast majority of canal-side properties are a vital part of Scotland’s rich cultural heritage and contributes to the unique character of the nation’s waterways.

“This project will enable the partners to better understand the importance of the canal buildings in our care. This project will complement baseline condition surveys and together form a strong basis as we implement our Heritage Strategy.”

The results of the project will be announced next year.

www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:18 AM   #304
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

13/01688/DC | External alterations to existing buildings, and landscaping alterations including installation of lighting and erection of new boundary treatments. | 1 Applecross Street Glasgow G4 9SP

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #305
Xtreminal
Freethinking Anarchist

Likes (Received): 1773

Yesterday I went to Port Dundas and so far none of the works have been started.
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #306
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
Yesterday I went to Port Dundas and so far none of the works have been started.
Any update on WEST Bar up there? Looking forward to it arriving.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #307
Charlie_

Are the art school student digs still going ahead?
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #308
Xtreminal
Freethinking Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_ View Post
Are the art school student digs still going ahead?
I actually went there to see that but so far nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
Nope.

If anything changes, I will definitely update in here. Does anybody knows when actual construction starts?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #309
Charlie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
I actually went there to see that but so far nothing.

Nope.

If anything changes, I will definitely update in here. Does anybody knows when actual construction starts?
i was down late last week and there was a construction team and some JCBs digging up the land between the chinese warehouse/supermarket and the canal. Maybe thats the student digs starting?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #310
Charlie_

http://speirslocksstudentcampus.com/design/

This would be absolutely amazing for the canal and Garscube road.
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #311
allanglens

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Walked down from the Business Park this morning to find three or four architects / engineers (ok, guys with plans) standing on the pathway looking up at the wall and shaking / scratching their heads.

I assume that this is related to the WEST Brewery development, but they will need to do a lot with that building - there has been bits falling off various parts of it for a while now, and I am sure that some of the cracking on the north elevation is getting worse...

But at least something seems to be happening!
allanglens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:40 AM   #312
Xtreminal
Freethinking Anarchist

Plans unveiled for £10m whisky distillery on banks of River Clyde

Plans have been unveiled for a new £10m whisky distillery on the banks of the River Clyde in Glasgow.

The facility would include the revamping of the pump house building at Queen’s Docks in the city, located near the Riverside Museum.

A planning application has been lodged with Glasgow City Council by the Scotch whisky businessmen behind the project, which is supported by Scottish Enterprise.

Backers said the development would create 300 construction jobs and the distillery and visitor centre would employ up to 25 workers.

Tim Morrison, who is formerly of Morrison Bowmore Distillers and is current proprietor of the AD Rattray Scotch Whisky Company, is among those behind the proposals.

He said: "We see this project as having huge potential – not only for Glasgow, but for the tourism industry, the Scotch whisky trade and the whole Scottish economy. Our vision for the new distillery and educational visitor centre is that it becomes a part of Glasgow’s busy tourist trail – we anticipate it will attract more than 50,000 visitors each year.

"We’ve had a great deal of support for this project so far – from local businesses, the public sector and those within the industry, and we have taken the next important step in helping to make this project a reality by submitting a full planning application to Glasgow City Council for consideration."

The plans include a visitor centre and small batch single malt Scotch whisky distillery that backers believe could be completed by mid-2015.

Glasgow Kelvin MSP Sandra White said: "Having met and discussed these proposals with a delegation representing the proposed ‘pump house’ development, I was extremely impressed with the plans and enthusiasm shown.

"I truly believe this is a fantastic opportunity to re-establish Glasgow’s historic whisky heritage. Not only this but it will also greatly improve the regeneration of this area of Kelvin, while also benefiting the whole of Glasgow through increased tourism as well as a much welcomed influx of both construction and service industry jobs."
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/243858-q...de-in-glasgow/
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:43 AM   #313
Charlie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_ View Post
i was down late last week and there was a construction team and some JCBs digging up the land between the chinese warehouse/supermarket and the canal. Maybe thats the student digs starting?
Found out what this is btw. In case anybody else cares.....

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3861/...dio_plans.html
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #314
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 314

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile...0065n.22478174

New footbridge over city canal set to get go-ahead
Published on 22 October 2013

Vivienne Nicoll

A NEW pedestrian bridge is to cross the Forth and Clyde Canal at Glasgow's growing artistic quarter.

City councillors are today expected to give the go-ahead to the new bridge, despite 37 objections from local people.

They are concerned about security and the impact of the new structure on wildlife.

In 2007, a development plan covering a 42 acre site was drawn up for the canal in a bid to turn it into a vibrant part of the city.

The aim of the masterplan is to create a mixed use area creating more jobs, an attractive residential environment and improved public realm.

In recent times, the area has developed into a cultural quarter with Scottish Opera, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, arts venue the Glue Factory and Glasgow Academy of Music and Theatre Arts all moving in.

In June this year, council planners approved plans for a five-storey block and 11-storey tower which will provide accommodation for 570 students.

The 100,000sq ft development, which will have 235 rooms, will be built just 60m south west of the new bridge.

A towpath cafe with outdoor seating will be provided and a sculpture garden created with Speirs Wharf Developments hoping the first residents will move in by September 2015.The bridge, which will have a span of about 20m will open for canal traffic and will be made up of two platforms, one of which will be able to slide back to allow vessels through.

Richard Brown, the council's executive development and regeneration director, said: "While the canal is an excellent amenity, it also forms a barrier between communities on either side of the canal.

"The proposed bridge would deliver an east/west connection between Speirs Locks and adjacent neighbourhoods of north Glasgow and open up pedestrian and cycle connections to the city centre."

The Forth and Clyde Canal is a scheduled historic monument, the nearby Wheatsheaf building is category C listed and Speirs Wharf to the east of the canal is B listed.

Mr Brown said the bridge will be built on the footings of a Second World War lock which was built to prevent the area from flooding if the canal was hit by a German bomb.

He added: "The proposed design of the bridge is contemporary and uses a palate of high quality durable materials.

"The proposal is considered a low key intervention which is sympathetic to its sensitive historic setting and does not detract from the character of the canal or the nearby listed buildings."

However residents of Speirs Wharf said they were unhappy that the bridge would lead directly to their properties and as a result, a security fence with a locked gate will be erected.

They were also concerned about the impact of the new bridge on local wildlife including nesting swans.

But Mr Brown said care would be taken to ensure lighting on the bridge did not affect nocturnal animals and that building work did not disturb swans during the nesting season.

Katie Hughes, director of estates and commerce at Scottish Canals, said: "The proposal for a new footbridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal is an integral part of our plans for the wider regeneration of the North Glasgow area."
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #315
Steppish

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:

However residents of Speirs Wharf said they were unhappy that the bridge would lead directly to their properties and as a result, a security fence with a locked gate will be erected.
Dafuq? How's that work? A security fence where exactly?
Steppish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #316
istananwe

Likes (Received): 25

Surprised this hasn't been spoken about, will bring lots of life and business to the area. Kayakers are a very keen lot.
https://www.facebook.com/paddlesportsglasgow
istananwe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #317
drjimmy

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile...0065n.22478174

He added: "The proposed design of the bridge is contemporary and uses a palate of high quality durable materials.

tie Hughes, director of estates and commerce at Scottish Canals, said: "The proposal for a new footbridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal is an integral part of our plans for the wider regeneration of the North Glasgow area."
A what?
drjimmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #318
Chris99

Likes (Received): 334

Pinkston Paddlesports under construction

Monkey9000 liked this post
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #319
Chris99

Likes (Received): 334

Speirs Wharf

New Footbridge to be built on old piers bottom left

Old Canal Manager's house

Soon to be West Brewery

Ultima, heresjohnny liked this post
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #320
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 151

Not Strictly Glasgow but pretty close - found this proposal for Bowling Harbour:

Image Credit: Michael Laird Architects
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: