daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2641
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by АмУх View Post
#5 SW
(...isn't it actually #5 SE? Maybe I'm wrong...)

I think they managed to place #6b at the other side too...
StavrosG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2642
АмУх

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosG View Post

As far as I can see they have 6+5 at W and 5+4 at E installed
АмУх no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #2643
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 4660

Westfield in Frenzy landing WTC shops
http://nypost.com/2013/09/09/westfie...-retail-deals/

Quote:
World Trade Center shopping-mall owner Westfield Group is furiously chasing Brookfield Properties in the race to be the king of downtown retail.

Westfield, which controls all the retail space at the WTC, has already lined up retailers for 90 percent of the first sites to come on line — about 360,000 square feet at the 16-acre site, including in the Transportation Hub Oculus and in the lower levels of Larry Silverstein’s office towers two and three, sources said.

Westfield is said to have signed a lease with Victoria’s Secret — and is said to be close to deals with dozens of retailers, including Apple, J. Lindberg, Tory Burch, Theory, Michael Kors, Swatch and Abercrombie & Fitch, as well as several glamorous international brands.
Asking rents are in the $500-to-$600 a square foot range.

Meanwhile, Brookfield, which relaunched the World Financial Center a short stroll west of the WTC as Brookfield Place, has already lured a batch of high-end boutiques including Hermes, Burberry and Salvatore Ferragamo, as Lois Weiss first reported.

Westfield is paying the Port Authority $612 million for a long-term controlling interest in a joint venture for the WTC’s retail. New York dealmakers irked that Westfield handles leasing in-house rather than use outside brokers were nonetheless impressed with its prowess.

Despite skepticism about designers and mass-marketers taking the plunge into untested waters at the WTC, one broker noted, “Westfield has extraordinary leverage over stores which are already tenants in their malls around the US and the world.

“The implied message is, ‘If you want to be at Malls X, Y and Z in the future, we need you at the World Trade Center,” the broker said. “It’s the way mall-owner leasing works.”
Another downtown dealmaker said, “Not all the Trade Center space is in the same demand, but the Oculus is on fire.”

Australia-based Westfield is one of the world’s largest shopping-mall developers, with over 100 centers generating more than $1.1 billion in annual sales. “You’ve never seen a leasing machine like Westfield,” said one retail sage.

But in the short run, Brookfield has stolen Westfield’s thunder.
It had a head start because its 200,000 square feet of shopping and eating space will be ready starting in 2014. The first of Westfield’s eventual 460,000 square feet won’t be open until 2015, or later.

In addition to the boutiques, it’s also signed a big Equinox Fitness club and operators for a 25,000 square-foot gourmet food marketplace and for a 35,000 square-foot dining terrace.
CBRE regional CEO Mary Ann Tighe said FiDi’s swelling ranks of high-income residents guarantees success at both the Westfield and Brookfield projects.

“Think about this simple equation,” she said. “There are 899 new apartments at the Frank Gehry building [8 Spruce St.] and 800 more coming at the Rose Associates conversion of 70 Pine St., plus all the new hotels.

“Where will they all shop? Retail in the area is still very poor.”

Douglas Elliman retail chief Faith Hope Consolo also said there was enough business to go around for both projects. She wasn’t surprised at Westfield’s full-court press. “They want to make sure Brookfield doesn’t eat their lunch,” she said.=

Hudson Yards mega development Map: September 2014
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/or...27e0af1f45.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

spectre000, Swiddle liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #2644
АмУх

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosG View Post

It appeares that you were right

StavrosG, oli83, ChuckInTN, Swiddle liked this post
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #2645
АмУх

East nine

StavrosG, Thatonegirl liked this post
Old September 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2646
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 122

Anyone know Citibike's plans for the WTC area? Have they been in talks with the Port Authority about docking station locations? I think there are something like 118 bike docks around Grand Central Station, and the Transit Hub area will need a similar number of docking stations I think ...
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2647
wtcforever
Skyscraper Stoner

Likes (Received): 550

#5 NE!!

АмУх liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2648
АмУх

One per day?
#5 NE

Better quality - later tonight
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #2649
АмУх

East Ten

Swiddle liked this post
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2650
chazmania

Likes (Received): 21

west entrance

Did anyone notice they installed the half cone over the west entrance? Looks like the cone of silence.

ChuckInTN, StavrosG liked this post
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2651
АмУх

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2646
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2652
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmania View Post
Did anyone notice they installed the half cone over the west entrance? Looks like the cone of silence.
Right! And it's kind of interesting how they assembled the three parts of the half cone... We'll definitely have a nice angle to watch that happening at the east side, the earthcam gives us a really nice view... Let's see!
StavrosG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #2653
towerpower123

Likes (Received): 670

They were still welding at 10 PM on 9/11 (Yesterday).
[IMG]image hosted on flickr

WTC Transit Hub 9 11 13 by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image hosted on flickr

WTC Transit Hub 9 11 13 by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

It is currently looking more like the Chitauri (alien) battleships from the Avengers movie than a bird, but it still looks spectacular!

If I don't say otherwise, all of my images are on my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

АмУх, Swiddle liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2654
АмУх

Six new pieces arrived overnight!
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2655
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 81

I keep watching the slow progress and complexity of this building and keep thinking to myself why? It's very needed to provide transportation to and from the complex and downtown Manhattan but why does it need to be this fancy and expensive? Wouldn't the area and New York in general be better off if the money had been spent building WTC 2 instead?

Maybe I'm being a little too conservative but it seems like having more usable office space would have drawn more people and businesses to the area!
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2656
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I keep watching the slow progress and complexity of this building and keep thinking to myself why? It's very needed to provide transportation to and from the complex and downtown Manhattan but why does it need to be this fancy and expensive? Wouldn't the area and New York in general be better off if the money had been spent building WTC 2 instead?

Maybe I'm being a little too conservative but it seems like having more usable office space would have drawn more people and businesses to the area!
Not when you think about the center as a hub (it will be connected to the WFC and Fulton Center, right?). It may not be office space, but is going to make a handsome profit in terms of commercial space.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; September 12th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #2657
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 4660

Quote:
Wouldn't the area and New York in general be better off if the money had been spent building WTC 2 instead?
Agreed, but PA is not going to give that $$ to Silverstein so he can build his trophy tower.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2658
oli83

Likes (Received): 734

They probably install the half cone on the eastern side in the near future, the eastern crane just lifted one of the three subpieces from the center of the oculus close to the location where it will be needed..

Also good to see so many new upper portals arriving, hopefully they increase their speed after having gained some practice.

ChuckInTN liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2659
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Not when you think about the center as a hub (it will be connected to the WFC and Fulton Center, right?). It may not be office space, but is going to make a handsome profit in terms of commercial space.
The commercial space would still be there anyway because it's all in the subterranean portions of the transportation center. The part I'm referring to is the entire above grade level of the structure that is extremely complex and expensive to construct. It's space that is totally useless except for something to look at. Maybe it would have served everyone better if it was left of a large expanse of open space with trees etc. like the memorial area.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2660
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:

WTC 2 needs a robust transportation hub to be built to service it, and not building the Transit Hall wouldn't have any bearing on Silverstein finding tenants for WTC 2.

The Hub is a Port Authority primary project and a VERY secondary Silverstein project.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
port authority, santiago calatrava, world trade center, wtc