daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6361
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch

Likes (Received): 2993

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #6362
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I couldn't find the power button on my iphone within 0.6 seconds so I threw it in the river, piece of junk!
If trying out the power button was a priority for people who are trying to check out a new phone, that'd actually be a design fault. There's nothing wrong with making something new as long as it's intuitive. I knew the Metro thing is new and different, but the whole screen didn't give me a clue at all about where to find what I was looking for. The only clue was the Windows button but that didn't bring up apps. I then looked for an icon for apps and didn't find one so said fuck it and that was it.

To give you an example of someone getting it right, when the iphone launched it had just one button unlike phones of that time that had several buttons. But the role of that button was always intuitive. Anyone who's never even seen a touch phone could guess what it'd do and it's role would always switch to what a person would expect it to do.

And since it might sound like a pro-Apple spiel, I am actually frustrated anytime I have to use my friends' macbooks. Whenever something doesn't work the way I hope it would I say fuck it and move back to my beloved Windows machine. Of course, the cool factor of Apple attracts many people to its PC products.

Metro is all good, but it's really frustrating to a lot of people. I get this again and again thru research. You can poke all the fun at me but it won't sell many WP8 devices. "Windows" doesn't even have the appeal to attract people just coz of hte name.

To show you Apple puts effort into it, when the ipad was launched Jobs emphasized a lot on the fact that even a kid could use it it's so intuitive. They go to great lengths to make sure their mobile devices work how you'd expect them to work. MS designs stuff for baldy boy Ballmer.

Also, although I guess you could change it, when the Nokia guys finally showed me how to view apps, it was a scroll list. WTF. Are we back to the days of DOS? Even Windows 3.1 had icons so I don't have to read. Why not just have the default view in metro style?
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6363
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 3711

To be fair Siamu it did also take me a short while to figure out how to get to the app list in WP when I first tried it, but only a few seconds, and once you know you know, that's that.

A lot of it is what you are used to I think, I know many people who use Numbers on their Apple devices and say it is great, but it has stayed there virtually unused on my ipad for the past 3 years as I just can't figure it out and things that I can do in two seconds on Excel seem completely unintuitive and require a trawl through the instruction manual with Numbers.

But that's probably because I've been using Excel for years and I'm used to it.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6364
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
To be fair Siamu it did also take me a short while to figure out how to get to the app list in WP when I first tried it, but only a few seconds, and once you know you know, that's that.

A lot of it is what you are used to I think, I know many people who use Numbers on their Apple devices and say it is great, but it has stayed there virtually unused on my ipad for the past 3 years as I just can't figure it out and things that I can do in two seconds on Excel seem completely unintuitive and require a trawl through the instruction manual with Numbers.

But that's probably because I've been using Excel for years and I'm used to it.
There you have it. Because you're used to Excel, and Numbers wasn't designed to be intuitive to you, it's just lying there unused.

Point I am trying to bring home is that when you're really on the back foot and have nothing going for you, you must do something to attract people and piss off as few as possible. All it'd taken was a single metro tile that said APPS or the Windows button doing it. That's it. Thing is, a lot many people don't want to put in the effort to figure things out if there's nothing in it for them. For example, Windows to Mac switchers put in the effort because of the cool factor.

MS just doesn't have that pull. Sadly, Nokia also lost its appeal and became grey-haired people's phone.

Look at Samsung, it's No. # 1, but it started 6 years ago by unashamedly copying Apple (screw you AltinD). Once they had the foot in the door, they diverged. Now their phones and iphones have nothing in common and Samsung is ruling the world along with Apple.

Long story short, MS should've provided a bridge for people who were swithing from icon-based (Android and Apple) OS to Metro. Just don't piss people off. There're a lot of people who actually find Metro phones very beautiful, but they just don't wanna use it.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6365
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
There was no maps icon on my set, so I tried looking for a list of apps and couldn't figure how to get there. So gave up after 2 seconds.
Swipe your finger from right to left ...... which is basically what you do on any OS
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6366
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I've not had a problem using Google Maps for navigation..?
And I have no problem using WP8 ...... oh, and Nokia uses the same navigation that cars and vehicles use. Navtech, they own it
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6367
kix111

Likes (Received): 1891

I prefer Google maps over in-car navigation. Also just because you have no problem using WP8 or Nokia Map doesnt mean others wont, nor does it mean there are no better counterparts.

I would almost always use my iPhone as GPS. In-car navigation is pretty shit tbh. You cant do searches like "McDonalds at Queen Street, Auckland".

The only time i use in-car GPS is when i travel to another city, where the route is less complex and it is simply easier to have a larger screen sitting next to you when you drive for over 3+ hours.
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #6368
kix111

Just installed iOS 7.

All i can say is oh. my. god. it is so beautiful!@!!

It is 100 times better than what you see on the screenshots posted online. Loving the translucent menu bar and task bar!
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6369
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

Sony to offer free accidental damage warranty in certain regions for the Xperia Z1

"This Accidental Damage Cover indemnifies you from the losses/damages which is/shall be occasioned to the product due to physical breakage/damage, liquid spillage and short circuits due to electricity voltage fluctuation."

"This Accidental Damage Cover shall provide you Free of Charge (“FOC”) repair or FOC replacement of your product."

Source

Toshiba has something like this with their laptops... but this is the first time I hear of a mobile phone manufacturer offering to repair/replace your device for free if you drop it/break it/shatter it etc.
Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #6370
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Just installed iOS 7.

All i can say is oh. my. god. it is so beautiful!@!!

It is 100 times better than what you see on the screenshots posted online. Loving the translucent menu bar and task bar!
Were you one of those people who probably waited hours for it to download?

Apple's severs have been continuously slammed since it was released at 10AM California time.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6371
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Nikon 1 AW1 underwater mirrorless camera and two 1 Nikkor AW lenses officially announced

This is interesting. I can certainly see myself buying this. Mirrorless that you don't have to worry about!

Cytokine liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #6372
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 99

I doubt Windows on mobile will takeoff.. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but Android has much momentum these days and this will be hard to stop.. I predict Android will be to mobile in the mid to late 2010s what DOS-Windows was to the desktop in the mid 1990s -- all over the place .
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6373
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 461

New OS to challenge the big 3?

Big news coming out through CyanogenMod (Custom ROM for android), they are making massive changes!

They have just secured $7million in funding for the project!

Atm they have a predicted 15-25 million users already, and that's even while people have to unlock, root their phones and then install the ROM. (Risky process = majority of people not actually installing it even though they want too, including my self)

They will be releasing a new app in coming weeks that will clean the install process up so that the rom is available to many more people!

They also have backing from a manufacturer! No names have been said yet but info should be released soon.

So CyanogenMod could potentially become the 3rd largest OS on the market very soon! That is what the team is heading for and it looks to be very achievable!

Exciting times!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6374
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Were you one of those people who probably waited hours for it to download?

Apple's severs have been continuously slammed since it was released at 10AM California time.
No, i just woke and checked the settings and it says update available and just went ahead and installed it.

:/

I did this 8am NZT so probably around afternoon time the previous day in cali.
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6375
AltinD
The Modecator

I doubt Apple would have only one set of servers worldwide
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #6376
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 133

The future of mobile?

Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6377
kix111

A lot of my friends who switched to Samsung last year when iPhone 5 was announced are now lining up for 5S next week.

They said Samsung gets unbearably slow after a few months of use.
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #6378
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 4224

That is a problem with garbage memory collection. As of version 4.3 Android has a subroutine that cleans the memory when the phone is idle.

Quote:
Google has had a lot of success with their Nexus line as many have shown great interest in using a pure version of Android. Even without all of the clunky overlays, however, Nexus devices have fallen victim to performance degradation over time. Sure, this can be remedied with a full system flash but that’s not exactly the best answer to the problem.

As it turns out, Nexus devices (and probably many others) suffer from the same issue that plagued early solid state drives: garbage collection. Flash memory works differently than traditional spinning disc storage in that when you delete a file, the space is freed up as far as the user is concerned. The internal workings of the I/O storage system, however, still treat that section of memory as if it contains data.

Rinse and repeat this cycle over the course of several months and the storage system takes a serious performance hit as it is still tracking “empty” blocks as if they have data associated with it.

That’s where TRIM support comes in. TRIM acts as the middleman between empty blocks of storage and the controller in charge of everything. It tags these empty blocks as ready for garbage collection / recycling at which time the controller knows it will no longer need to track those blocks. As you can imagine, not having to track empty blocks keeps the storage system running at peak performance.

Having said that, Android 4.3 will bring TRIM support to Nexus devices (and others as the software update trickles down). Fortunately, users won’t need to perform any special tasks as TRIM will work automatically in the background, notifying the storage controller about garbage collection / recycling every 24 hours or so depending on device usage.
http://www.techspot.com/news/53426-t...gradation.html

Cytokine liked this post
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6379
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 3711

It does happen eventually with ios devices, my ipad often lags write badly these days when typing etc but it took 2.5 years to get to that stage. Upgrading to a new version of ios seemed to help a but but it still lags.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6380
kix111

Ouch Samsung. And android is supposedly to be way more spec hungry than iOS.