daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Karachi Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #181
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 409

Have you not been following this thread and the threat to the Mangrove forests which we have constantly cited. I consider that the Indus delta!

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #182
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 326

I am glad there are other people that agree with me on this.

Its too easy to forget the importance of something basic and earthly when you are dreaming of space. Same is the case with global warming. Humanity has broken down the system of the earth to a point of collapse out of their blindness caused by the glittering profits they could get through pollution.

This isnt global warming, but the threatening of an entire ecosystem that is unique to the whole world by this project IMO should justify it getting sacked. We need more natural areas in Pakistan, not less.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #183
mehdi_cs
Physicist

Likes (Received): 306

i was with this logic of saving eco system by opposing this project initially. but i had been doing a quiet study of this area for a few weeks. my ideas are changing.

1- its not the indus delta. its part of the creek that runs from southern karachi city to the Gujrat area of India. river indus pours into the sea at around 90Km from these islands.

2- human household wastes are not of much disaster than the industrial wastes. we can see that most of the mangroves is around korangi, Steel Mill and Port Qasim. a few of it is near Karachi port, Mai Kolachi region and near the bank of lyari and malir rivers. please visit for my analysis:
http://beta.pixsense.com/publicGridV...8681&type=true

3- only around 5-6 percent of the total mangrove forest around karachi is on bundal and buddo islands collectively. more are towards the indus delta.

4- there is activity in Islamabad that must be condemned more severely than this. we are cutting big forests there for construction of large residential, commercial and monumental projects. these forests include big trees unlike mangroves and add to the oxygen of the world more than these small quantity of mangroves.

5- its not unique to this area only. please visit this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ove_ecoregions
Also, it is stated in Wikipedia :
The Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest in the world, located in the Ganges delta in Bangladesh and West Bengal, India.

i have not concluded any opinion out of it in this post and leave it to you people to get to some by yourself. these are only the facts that most of the people either distorted or hide.
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #184
asfar
-----

Likes (Received): 41

great post dude...finally some logic...i am totally for favoring this project...we need projects like these...its good for the economy good for pakistan...
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #185
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1827

if the islands are eco-friendly shouldnt fishing be banned there?
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #186
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

I think Bundal Island has no ecological significance whatsoever. I dont think it will damage any fishin ecosystems either.

Buddoo Island is still ecologically more sensitive so if the government wants to do the right thing, they would just develop Bundal. That should satisfy everybody.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #187
Metropole

Likes (Received): 18235

People have been saying that somehow any development on Bundal and Buddo islands will destroy not only the ecosystem in Karachi/Sindh/Pakistan but maybe even the whole world. And not only that, but the livlihoods of millions upon millions of fishermen would be destroyed and they'll all starve to death.

Just to keep things in perspective I'm posting a picture of the Indus delta. The islands represent a tiny fraction of the whole delta and will make only a marginal impact on the ecosystem. Compare the 10-15,000 acres being used to the millions of acres of tropical rainforests being lost every year in other parts of the world.

We certainly need to look after our natural environment but within reason. The environmentalists are better off trying to persuade the govt. in Islamabad to fund the treatment of sewage before it is dumped into the sea. Anyone who's been on the beach near Korangi Creek, that is near Bundle Island, should be aware how the whole area stinks of sewage.

Karachi badly needs at least one neighbourhood that is developed to international standards. The best area in Karachi now, DHA, is a dump and only a foreign company is capable of the delivering. We are very lucky that such a capable company is coming to Pakistan. We should be giving them a red carpet treatment.

At the moment there's no guarantee that this project will take off. Emaar will be building Crescent Bay with 4000 homes first and if that's all sold out then we can talk about Diamond Bar, which may be several years away.

The fact is that there's no environment reason to abandon this project. However like other projects in Karachi and in Pakistan, protestors come out of the woodworks. Many are ill informed people with good intentions but most are just negative characters with an agenda. Like getting a share in the bribery pie that will be shaken out of the sheikhs.

Metropole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #188
pakboy
London is London

the mangroves on bundal island and buddo island isnt very much, the main mangrooves are towards the indian border and there is a huge one near hawks bay.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #189
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 1779

Now, now! Don't let facts come in the way of a good discussion.
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM   #190
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 78

Haha I think its rather silly to call us "Children" if we support this project. Why do I support this project? Because the benefits of $43 billion in investment FAR exceeds the mangroves, which will become destroyed soon anyways because the formerly brackish waters of the delta are becoming saltier by the day because the Indus river waters are diverted heavily to agriculture.

This sums up my view: Jobs for the people are more important than plants for the birds.

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:19 AM   #191
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

I think I will decide completely after reviewing the plans for the project since the indus's water levels are dropping. Which is a HUGE concern because it will lead to further desertification.

Old November 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM   #192
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

well, Indus waters retreating fast is a cause for concern cause the lower parts of the delta have already become infilterated with salt water.

However @Khanrak: your logic is disturbing. By that logic, you will support the deforestation of the entire northern areas cause it will clear the land for farming so people can earn and also provide valuable timber. The fact that deforestation can cause massive landslides, destroy the natural beauty of the area and the habitat of the endangered mountain lion should be of least importance cause valuable land will be gained.

I do agree with RiwayatShikan that there are some anomalies in the pattern of mangrove growth around the city, but it needs to be studied fully by environmentalists and ecologists to prepare a full enviromental impact assessment study before the project should be given a full go-ahead. I will never support destruction of natural environment for human gain. It takes millions of years to form, and once its lost, its lost forever. We should protect the space God has given to other creatures and not invade it.

This whole thing reminds me of an idea a conservative scientist from the US proposed to counter Global Warming: put more pollution up in the high atmosphere so it will reflect sunlight and cause cooling -- effectively, countering pollution with even more pollution. I always thought that guy had lost his head.
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #193
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Actually, that is why there are so many land slides in Naran area now.

Old December 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #194
pakboy
London is London

Development work started on twin islands

* Three helipads, rough path connecting both islands under construction

Staff Report

KARACHI: Development work had started on one of the twin islands of Bundal and Buddo late Thursday night, eyewitnesses told journalists on Friday.

According to the eyewitnesses, who belonged to the local fishermen community, six tractors and other construction machinery already in use on Bundal. The construction of a rough path between the two islands was in process and Buddo Island was already being levelled. The construction of three helipads was also underway, they said.

A controversy was created last September when the media reported that the federal government had leased out both islands to UAE construction company Emaar Properties for developing Diamond Bar Island City.

Muhammad Ramzan, a person involved in the development work, told a group of journalists that the staff working on the island belongs to a local contracting company. He claimed to not know what project was going to be constructed.

“We have just been asked to finish levelling the land before December 16”, he said.

Syed Muhammad Ali Shah, chief of the Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF), told Daily Times that the staff involved in the development work has also demolished all the shanty settlements inhabited by fishermen at Bundal Island. “They have also asked to Mai Raheemi, whose family had settled there two centuries ago, to vacate the island.”

Shah said there was much unrest among the local fishermen community since the development work began. He said Sindh Chief Minister Dr Arbab Ghulam Rahim had also assured them that no work would be started without first placating the fishermen’s reservations. He had called a meeting on Saturday to chalk out their strategy. “We will also stage a demonstration on the day the foundation stone of this controversial project is laid,” he threatened. Shah said he had also contacted some nationalists leaders, including Mumtaz Bhutto, and appealed to them to support their cause.

A PFF press release issued later condemned the razing of the fishing families’ settlements which forced them to vacate “their birthplace”. It said the project, which will cover over 12,000 acres of land, is being developed at the cost of the poor fishing families.

Earlier, the Sindh government had objected to the federal government leasing out the islands. Land Utilization Department officials had also called on the Sindh governor in October and briefed him on the provincial stand. They had apprised the governor that the Port Qasim Authority had no right on the land and hence could not lease it out to any firm.

The Sindh chief minister had also repeatedly said that the land was provincial property since his visit to the islands on October 30 to listen to the reservations of the local fishermen.

Home | Karachi
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...12-2006_pg12_2
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #195
pakboy
London is London

Huts at twin islands razed, three injured

KARACHI: The demolition of settlements at the twin islands have, so far, resulted in injuring three people, including one child, prompting workers of the Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF) to stage demonstrations on the islands. According to a PFF release on Friday, officials had arrived on Bundal Island around noon and forced the local fishing families to vacate their huts. In a two-hour operation, over 50 katchi abadi houses on the island were razed, resulting in injuries to Bashir Ali and two fishermen, Rajab Ali and Gul Hassan, while other locals who refused to leave their homes were subjected to torture. It also reported that Amman Rahima, a woman whose family had lived on the island for more than a century, vehemently protested to the operation but her hut was demolished. On the other hand, it was announced that President Pervez Musharraf would inaugurate the Diamond Island City in January 2007, for which a contractor and 20 labourers arrived on the island in tractors and road-rollers to commence work on it. The PFF has since called for a meeting on the issue, which will be attended by the PFF’s governing body members. The basic objective of meeting is to condemn and sort some action against the government’s recent brutal move of razing settlements of fishing families and forcing them to evacuate their birth place. ppi
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...12-2006_pg12_3
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #196
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Its really sad to see people losing their homes to heartless develpers... Its easy to brush it off if your not in their place.
NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #197
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 7244

The people residing on the islands could have been removed in a more humane manner. When will Pakistan learn?
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #198
pakboy
London is London

well they were living on the island illegaly, they should have been removed without the trouble but encrouchements must also be removed.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #199
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork-wala View Post
Its really sad to see people losing their homes to heartless develpers... Its easy to brush it off if your not in their place.
Some here would probaly even sell their mothers for these developments.

Old December 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #200
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 1779

YES, YES, YES, YES, YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Oh, baby. I am so happy. Screw the damn villagers there. And yes, I just said that. Screw them! And please no moral lectures for me. I don't care. screw them. Screw the mangroves.

FINALLY, some good news. God bless you, Emaar. God bless you. And God bless everyone who made it happen. Amen.

Here's hoping no monkey-wrenches would be put in the works now.

P.S. Screw all the detractors, too.

More seriously, thanks goodness. Has someone had a look at our trade deficit? We really fucking need some foreign investments. Rupee is about to be devalued by 20%. That's crazy. Our exports are going down. We need industries in the long-run. But these dollars would help a lot, too (real estate is not industry).

Talking of this, I kind of was expecting these good news soon. Emaar just updated its billboard across FTC and put up Burj-Dubai. So I knew they were active in Karachi.
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
karachi

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: