daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #61
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

Remembering Bok House

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../bokstart.html

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #62
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 6

Old December 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #63
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 26

Some developers see only money. Heritage mans nothing to them.

In the 1980s, Singapore lost our grandest villa, Eu Tong Sen's Eu Villa which is much grander than Bok. It sits on Mount Sophia, looking over Orchard Road. I can't believe it had been overlooked for preservation. It was a very very sad lost, a grand domed brick mansion with Roman decorations.

But I'm glad this mansion got saved, the old mansion of Tan Kah Kee and later Tan Chin Tuan:

redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #64
extintpunk
First of the Fallen

extintpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #65
XNeo

Likes (Received): 134

so sayang!.

they can save the building through architecture wise...

like this ke :

XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM   #66
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNeo View Post
so sayang!.

they can save the building through architecture wise...

like this ke :

Malaysian architects still not reached that level lah!!...they are not that genious.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:49 AM   #67
XNeo

Likes (Received): 134

and we didn't have any expert house movers.
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #68
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 514

Very Tragic.....My heart bleeds to hear that......I will boycott that new building built there!
Vince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM   #69
AhChuan
Your life is in my hand

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Very Tragic.....My heart bleeds to hear that......I will boycott that new building built there!
Hahaha...you think they(people who construct the new building) will care what you complaning meh. Once saw money, other things they ignore. But still, I also join you to boycott the new building.

Error occured, reformat system
AhChuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM   #70
OshHisham
BANNED

let's boycott it!!...never make any threads for it..
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM   #71
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

Xneo> if ur idea was materialised means that they will have to demolish wisma bsn and zouk lah!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM   #72
Greg

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshbgood View Post
let's boycott it!!...never make any threads for it..
Great idea, but can we resist the temptation to monitor the progress of a 60 storey tower?
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM   #73
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 26

Can build the new tower over Bok. Even a few hundred sq m still must develope. Sigh
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:42 PM   #74
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 2

Just afraid that they face financial problem later and then turned it into an open-space carpark... disaster!

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:13 AM   #75
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Just afraid that they face financial problem later and then turned it into an open-space carpark... disaster!
hah! That is what happened to a lot of heritage building sites being demolished.

A good example would be the Pavillion Theatre site.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:19 AM   #76
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

FROM MALAYSIAKINI.COM

Rais: Bok House issue closed

Bede Hong

Dec 21, 06 4:45pm

The Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry today closed the chapter on the demolished palatial Bok House, deeming rehabilitation costs as prohibitive and that the structure never had any historical or aesthetic value to begin with.

The 77-year-old two story structure, located in downtown Kuala Lumpur, was torn down over the weekend despite concerted efforts by conservationists, historians and activists to get the government to recognise it’s historical significance.

Minister Dr Rais Yatim said he wanted to put the matter behind him and that there would be no change to the National Heritage Act, gazetted last year, in the foreseeable future.

“The ministry tries to be empathic but objective. There was no need to look at the Heritage Act, we feel sorry for people who are expressive... but the building had no overpowering aesthetic value,” he told reporters in Kuala Lumpur.

“The matter is closed,” he said, adding however that the public ‘must continue to petition’ on buildings deemed fit to come under the protection of the Act.

It is said the Bok House, located along Jalan Ampang near the Petronas Twin Towers was built by tycoon Chua Cheng Bok to please the father of a woman he was courting.

Chua made his fortune as the sole distributor of Mercedes Benz vehicles in the region for several decades under the Cycle & Carriage company. He passed away in 1940.

Private property

Rais reiterated that the Bok House was located on private property and the action to demolish it could not be stopped as it is not registered as a heritage building.

Badan Warisan Malaysia had petitioned the Bok House in Jalan Ampang as a national heritage site in April.

The structure was torn down by the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) on Sunday. Chua’s family, who own the property, had ordered the demolition.

“The main factor we have to consider is the safety and soundness of the structure. Major parts of the Bok House have been subject to severe deterioration. Rehabilitation costs would have been severe,” said the minister.

Rais said the information was based on a report made by the ministry last September, which found many parts of the building dilapidated and in need of repair.

“It was built by a wealthy man. I don’t want to irk heritage lovers, but it was just one house in town that was defective,” he added.

Rais said the ministry is open to public petitions to place buildings under protection of the Heritage Act, naming the Central Market and the Majestic
Hotel as beneficiaries of such requests.

“If the public is interested, please contact the heritage commissioner (Prof Siti Zuraina Majid ) or myself,” he said.

Activists have been calling for the amendment of the National Heritage Act, warning that more historical buildings would be torn down heedlessly.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:28 AM   #77
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

^ This fella isn't fit to be the minister of the Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry

How can he said something like "the structure never had any historical or aesthetic value to begin with" ?

I would accept the reason that it is a private property and that they had no jurisdiction over it or something but certainly not this explanation. Nor that I am gullible enuf to believe that an old mansion like The Bok House isn't structurally sound. Such old mansions are built to the highest and most stringent quality of its time and they are built to last.

The ministry could have done something and they had the power to preserve the building even when it is under private hands. That is how they nearly wrestle Coliseum Theatre out of the hands of Dr. Chua which incidently is the grandchild of Chua Cheng Bok

So yea......they would wanna spend 400million on a useless sports complex in UK and also a redundant Istana but they wouldn't wanna spend a cent on preserving the country's heritage. Is this what Malaysia is coming to?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:40 AM   #78
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
actually when government took control of Colliseum Cinema(by force), the owner plays racial issue, telling that government wants to 'rampas' chinese ownership in KL.but this will happen if government doesn't take any action.

Actually you've been mislead. The owner had not said anything racial (as far as the various sources I've had my hands on) and on the contrary of what you've said, the owner wanted to preserved Coliseum Theatre.

It is the govt which intended to destroy the heritage of the cinema. Look......it is indeed rare to find a 'living heritage'. That means that this heritage building still functioned as it is intended to be - as a cinema! But the govt wanted to turn the building into a museum which hardly would reflect what the building is and a major part of its beautiful interior would have to be retrofitted and demolished to accommodate the spanking new museum.

So in this case, it is better for the govt not to be a busybody and leave this building alone. But for the Bok House.....they could have intervened but they didn't. Same case and incidently - same family which owns both properties. I wonder what is the ministry doing man
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:41 AM   #79
OshHisham
BANNED

if he says that the BOK HOUSE was just a 'house built by a wealthy man'...how about Istana Negara?...same what??
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:49 AM   #80
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
yeah...now i blame the owner.greedy!!!!!!...

As much as I would love to blame the owner for being greedy.......I couldn't entirely fault them. Okay.....imagine yourself in their shoes, your property is sitting on a land worth RM1000/sq ft.......would you sell esp when you do not have any substantial income? What could have they do with a nice old mansion? Soem people might suggest turning it into a hotel or a restaurant (like Le Coq D'Or before) but the renovation and rehabilitation cost would be too expensive.

Only a white knight in the form of a rich corporation or tycoon could save the building. Or better still the govt. Somehow a white knight failed to emerge and the govt is saying that the building do not have an aesthetic and heritage value (I am still wondering how could the well-learned minister could say such thing?). In many instances around the world, it is always the govt that steps in. So I would put the blame squarely on our govt for not taking the initiative to stop the demolition.