daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #41
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 17

Landscaping yes, Building the seawall no.

Sponsored Links

Old June 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #42
Dave01walk

Likes (Received): 1

Private funding steps up for Riverwalk project after veto
Tampa Bay Business Journal - June 2, 2006

TAMPA -- The group raising $20 million in private funds for the $40 million Riverwalk is on course, despite a veto of state funding for the project.

Friends of the Riverwalk has collected $1.5 million, an increase of $314,000 since officially kicking off a capital campaign March 14 when the group had about $485,000 in cash and commitments and $695,000 in in-kind contributions.

The private not-for-profit group continues to talk to businesses and individuals about lead gifts, those of at least $1 million, said Dan Mahurin, Friends chairman and president of SunTrust Bank, Tampa Bay.

This summer, the group will unveil a major donor program, providing recognition for those who contribute to funding the Riverwalk, a 2.4-mile continuous pedestrian walkway extending from Channelside to Tampa Heights on the banks of the Hillsborough River.

Mayor Pam Iorio has made Riverwalk a top priority and hopes to have most of it completed by 2009, when Tampa will host Super Bowl XLIII.

An effort already is under way to get in the state funding cycle for next year, Mahurin said.

Gov. Jeb Bush, who vetoed $5.5 million in proposed state funds for Riverwalk, is completing his second term in office and will leave the job in early 2007.

Bush vetoed $3 million for the Riverwalk and $2.5 million for parking improvements downtown that also would have benefited the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ben Wacksman, president of Capital Realty Investors and chairman of the Friends of the Riverwalk funding committee, said the project had tremendous support from legislators. Mahurin said he and Iorio met with Bush personally.

"We thought we did a good job telling our story to the governor," Mahurin said.

But he also said he knew the odds were against state funding.

Bush cut a total of $449 million from the $74 billion state budget, saying some of the projects circumvented the process while others did not serve a statewide interest.

"Many of these projects are worthwhile but are more appropriately funded by local government or through private sources," Bush said in a release.

Mahurin said members of Friends of the Riverwalk were disappointed at a meeting held after the veto was announced.

"That would be a good way to spike a campaign at this point," Mahurin said. "But it's just one 'no.' "

The state funding made up about one-third of the $16 million in public funds planned for the Riverwalk. The City of Tampa will contribute $4.6 million, including $1.74 million allocated in the 2006 budget, with $3 million coming from federal funds. Another $2.9 million potentially could come from public sources such as Hillsborough County, tax increment financing districts for The Heights and the Channel District and the Community Development District of The Heights.

Developers of The Heights, a proposed residential project north of downtown, and of Trump Tower Tampa would contribute an estimated $4 million, contingent on design and construction timing.

The governor's veto demonstrates the significance of private funding, Wacksman said.

"When the government funding doesn't come in, it just makes it that much more difficult to finance the project, and it makes the private side of the effort that much more important," Wacksman said. "We believe the private sector support is going to build the closer we get to 2009."

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...4.html?i=45821
Dave01walk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #43
tamparican

Likes (Received): 2

miight be old news, but I just recently joined this forum, and this is actually my first thread, so bare with me till I get around here.. I just moved to Tampa about 8 months ago, and i really feel it was a good move. I came down from new haven, CT. Now on to the thread, being new here I can really see how this riverwalk would greatly benefit all of downtown, and tampa should truly capitalize on the opportunities in this riverwalk. DO NOT simply just make a park, make it an additional section of downtown. Get tired of Ybor, go to channelside, get tired of there, go to the riverwalk.. There should be some river taxis right there on the water to get people back and forth the 2-3 miles. As far as hotels, who needs them, with all the construction of them and condos going on DT.. This riverwalk i feel is very important to tampa and its disctinction as a vibrant all-american city, as we dont have any beaches here in tampa, this riverwalk should at least be our water outlet to entertainment. st petes got the pier at least...i really believe all these new condos DT should also strive to make this thing great as it would only benefit them and grow interest in the night life there and DT itself. just my 2cents

Last edited by tamparican; January 19th, 2007 at 03:05 AM.
tamparican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #44
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

The problem is that the waterfront land in DT Tampa is almost all either owned by the govt, or is already developed with its ass ignorantly facing the river. There is little opportunity to commercially develop the waterfront.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #45
tamparican

yea it seems that one of the main problems holding alot of projects up here huh, the GOV...if its not some zoning issue...
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #46
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 42

Yeah, the only hope for redeveloping the waterfront right now seems to come from (gasp) West Tampa. If the Riverwalk could connect through the redev. programs, opening up the area near Ricks on the River would be FANTASTIC to developing the Riverwalk. It could be a new destination.... the government owns 95% of the land in the area, so rezoning and selling it off would be easy.... connecting it with West Tampa ala Ybor City could be quite amazing.

I'm a West Tampa fan and did a study with the AIA on the area regarding the Riverwalk, and it isn't as infeasible as you think....

There is still a chance to commercially develop the river...
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #47
tamparican

sounds interesting and if youve studied it and see a possibility for it to maybe happen in the future, it would def be interesting. The main point i see is trying to connect all the districts and sections of TAMPA...with mass transportation and as i see river taxis would be very beneficial. i went fishing the other day and was surprised to only see 1 restaurant by the water servicing boats, and i think it mite have been the ricks you talk about... its just surprising for me at least to see an area with so many boats, where its a common thing, YET barely see any benefits to them in the waterways at least in entertainment and dining? probably running off topic, but as you say connecting ybor and the west would be nice, as well as connecing those to DT
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #48
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 42

Well, the findings were submitted to the city but who knows....

You know how they are ;-)
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #49
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Tampa Riverwalk

Tampa conference to draw statewide waterfront interests together

Tampa Bay Business Journal

Tampa will host a 2007 Florida Riverwalk Exchange summit.

Representatives from Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Jupiter and other invited cities will all descend on Tampa March 29 for a summit aimed at fostering long-lasting and vibrant waterfronts, a critical mission as public access to Florida's waterfronts continue to disappear, a release said.

City and town officials, urban planners, environmental architects, business and cultural leaders, and other riverwalk proponents will join forces to communicate about creating successful riverwalks that serve as the heart of a city's urban setting. All of the invited communities are in various stages of riverwalk planning, development and preservation.

The collaboration represents an unprecedented initiative in Florida and even the nation, said a release from the Florida Riverwalk Exchange, a statewide think tank dedicated to creating and preserving public/private waterfronts as dynamic and economically viable.

Tampa is the summit host city.

Tampa's planned Riverwalk is a 2.2-mile waterfront promenade that will wind its way along downtown Tampa making its way past cultural and arts centers, retail, restaurants, hotels, residences, and parks and marinas. It is 20 percent complete.

"Our developments will forever shape our waterfronts. By sharing our experiences, both good and bad, we can learn from one another," said Lee Hoffman, Tampa's Riverwalk project manager, in a release.

Among those expected to attend the summit are: Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio, SunTrust Bank Tampa Bay President Daniel Mahurin; Jupiter Mayor Karen Golonka, Fort Lauderdale's Riverwalk Trust Executive Director Patsy Mennuti, Jacksonville's Downtown Vision Executive Director Terry Lorrince, Florida Riverwalk Exchange Founder Ben Wacksman and many more.

The summit meeting will include a boat tour of Tampa's Riverwalk hosted by Yacht StarShip followed by Riverwalk updates from each participating city/town and working sessions on best practices.

The Florida Riverwalk Exchange summit will convene at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel at 9:30 a.m.

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/tam...6/daily39.html
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #50
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Tampa Riverwalk

Riverwalk Project Scores In House, Blanked In Senate

By JOSH POLTILOVE The Tampa Tribune

Published: Apr 13, 2007

TALLAHASSEE - The House and Senate versions of this year's state budget were approved Thursday by their respective chambers, but there's still plenty of wiggle room.

That's good for fans of Tampa's Riverwalk project, because it hasn't received nearly as much funding in either chamber as members of the local delegation requested.

In the budget's House version, Rep. Trey Traviesa, R-Tampa, requested $4.7 million for the project but is scheduled to receive $2 million. In Senate version, Sen. Victor Crist, R-Tampa, requested $4.7 million but was slated to receive nothing.

"It's still premature at this point to worry about it," Crist said. "I hope we get it fully funded. It'd be nice to have the dollars to do the improvements downtown."

Crist pointed out that right now a chamber still may add, drop or change its budget request based on the figure in the other chamber.

Last year's budget included $5.5 million for the project until the funding was removed by then-Gov. Jeb Bush.

Traviesa said it's difficult for lawmakers to get everything they request but that he is happy with $2 million for the Riverwalk, which will link the Channel District with Tampa Heights.

"The Riverwalk will help impact economic development, and I hope we get the money for it," he said.

This year, Crist filed about $74 million worth of community budget requests for Hillsborough County - the bulk of the county's requests on the Senate side. Of that figure, he said, the Senate budget includes about $32 million.

"That is very, very good in a tight budget year," he said. "I was treated very well. Hillsborough County was treated very well despite shortfalls in the budget."

The status of other budget requests include:

• Moffitt Cancer Center: Senate: $14.4 million; House: $13.4 million

• University of South Florida Visual & Performing Teaching Facility: Senate: $14.9 million; House $14.9 million

• Tampa Bay Regional Transportation Authority: Senate: $1 million; House: 0

Dale Mabry Highway flood protection: Senate: $1 million; House: $2.5 million

Reporter Josh Poltilove can be reached at (850) 222-8382 or jpoltilove@tampatrib.com.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB7V6P0G0F.html

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #51
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 3

Interesting. One way or another it will eventually come together, though scaled back from the mayor's vision I am sure.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #52
smiley

Likes (Received): 103

Whatever. This is one of those 30 year tampa specials.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #53
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

Well, at least in this case, half-assed is still better than not at all...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #54
Quegiebo
SoHo

Riverwalk Marches Forward

Tampa Bay Business Journal - 4:07 PM EDT Friday, April 13, 2007

The city of Tampa will begin construction next week on the next segment of Riverwalk, a two-and-a-half mile walkway along the Hillsborough River from Channelside to North Boulevard.

Mayor Pam Iorio will hold a sign unveiling ceremony April 17 to mark the start of construction of the Platt Street Bridge Segment, a link connecting USF Park with the Tampa Convention Center.

Construction of the segment should take about a year, with completion slated for March 2008, according to a release.

Russell Engineering Inc. has a contract with the city to complete the construction of the segment for $2.6 million, with funding through a partnership between the city of Tampa and the Florida Department of Transportation. FDOT awarded the city $600,000 this year through the Transportation Enhancement Program and will reimburse another $860,000 in 2010 for the Platt Street Bridge segment, the release said.

The sign unveiling will take place at 2 p.m. April 17 at USF Park at 233 South Ashley Dr.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #55
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 225

Riverwalk Dream To Finally Step Out

By ELLEN GEDALIUS The Tampa Tribune

Published: Apr 17, 2007

TAMPA - Cruising in a Tampa Police boat along the Hillsborough River, Lee Hoffman looks at land he hopes to shape into the city's Riverwalk.

By January, he says, at least four segments will be under construction and at least another four will be designed.

"I'm getting there," he said.

City officials haven't touted the Riverwalk much in recent months, but that approach changes today when Mayor Pam Iorio holds a ceremony to mark the start of construction on the Platt Street Bridge segment.

Hoffman, the city's Riverwalk manager, is charged with bringing the project to fruition, no easy task when money is tight and state funding is questionable.

The entire project is expected to cost about $40 million, with $16 million coming from public sources and the remaining $24 million from private donations. To date, the city has secured about $5.6 million on the public side and about $7.4 million on the private side.

The city also has requested $4.7 million from the state Legislature, but early budget proposals aren't generous. The House budget plan gives $2 million to the project; the Senate plan gives nothing.

The half-mile Platt Street Bridge segment will connect the Tampa Convention Center with USF Park and will cost about $2.6 million. Much of the money comes from the Florida Department of Transportation.

Mayors for years have tried to build a Riverwalk. On a recent boat tour, Hoffman pointed out that the names of those who donated to the project in the 1970s have their names engraved on a wall near the Tampa Museum of Art. Their money went to wooden planks, which deteriorated through the years.

Hoffman and Iorio say they are determined to have much of the Riverwalk completed by 2009, when Tampa hosts the Super Bowl.

For the first time, the city has a Riverwalk master plan, which calls for linking the Channel District with Tampa Heights via a 2.4-mile walkway.

Developers along the Hillsborough River are responsible for paying for segments near their projects. Bill Bishop and Don Wallace, the leaders developing the Heights project, will finance a segment near North Boulevard.

Developers of Venu, a condo proposed for the southwest corner of Kennedy Boulevard and Ashley Drive, also are to pay for a segment. They also plan to open an outdoor cafe with seating along the Riverwalk.

Trump Tower Tampa developers are supposed to pay for a segment, but as doubts persist as to whether the condo will be built, Hoffman worries about that piece.

"If for some reason Trump Tower doesn't go, I'm going to have to look at a design over the water," Hoffman said. "That's expensive."

The city has hired grant writers to scour federal, state, local and other sources for money.

Money aside, Hoffman envisions at least half a dozen restaurants - including a soon-to-open Malio's - and cafes along the 2.4-mile stretch.

Some entrepreneurs already have said they are interested.

Traci Rinoldo, who owns an ice cream shop on Davis Islands with her fiance, Eddie Montalvo, lives in the Tampa Heights area. She bought her home several years ago and has watched dilapidated homes give way to new development.

"Watching the whole Tampa Heights area develop, I thought, wouldn't it be awesome to have a little coffee shop, ice cream shop, on the Riverwalk?" Rinoldo said. "How much more involved in your community can you be than being on the Hillsborough River?"

Reporter Ellen Gedalius can be reached at (813) 259-7679 or egedalius@tampatrib.com.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBDXQCUL0F.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #56
Tampa on the move.

Looks like Venu is going to help in the financing.. Very nice.. And add in the Cafe on the river, that's what the new Tampa is all about..

2009 Superbowl here we come!!!!!!
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #57
tamparican

finally more things are beginning to actually happen.....I wish more $$$ was put towards this and the mass transit, two things which i feel this city really needs.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #58
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamparican View Post
finally more things are beginning to actually happen.....I wish more $$$ was put towards this and the mass transit, two things which i feel this city really needs.
More money and time would be put towards things like the riverwalk and mass transit, if it wasn't mindlessly used on suburban beltways. IMO.

Still, it is good to see the rivarwalk will be largely U/C soon.
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #59
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Over on the Tampaciti.com blog is an interesting link to the "Riverwalk Review" a news letter regarding the riverwalk, was posted. A lot of it we already know. But there is also rendering for the Water Works Park in Tampa Heights and even a drawing of an Elementy Student's ideas for the Rivarwalk, containing a dog park.

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_riverwa...iew-June07.pdf
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #60
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

This site contains several images from other parks throughout the world that are being used for inspiration, and also some add'l renderings that should give a pretty decent idea of what Curtis Hixon Park could look like when completed at -
http://www.tampagov.net/dept_contrac...xon_Images.asp
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa