search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

Likes (Received): 2884

Lausanne: the faces of a city in 4 seasons

AUTUMN

My first encounter with Lausanne happened on a grey cloudy afternoon of late September. Exiting the impressive railway station, with its carvings in the main hall:

and heading somewhere to stay, the first image I got was that of an orderly but empty, green but mundane city:

Over the next couple of days, I set off to explore the surroundings, and my first steps expectedly took me to Flon, a centrally located area experiencing a wave of urban renewal. The M2 metro line was still under construction, and the station was guarded by this nice guy:

To the North of the square, past the arches of the Grand-Pont bridge, one of the most classic views of downtown Lausanne caught my eye, with the famous cathedral and the huge CHUV university hospital:

To the Northwest was La Banane (The Banana), a renovated, evocatively shaped industrial building of the late 19th century, with the Bel Air tower, the first concrete highrise built in Switzerland (in the 1930s) looming above it:

But the square's true jewel is undoubtedly this magnificent fairytale palace, whose name and function I still haven't managed to discover:

50m to the East lies the grandiose Saint Francois square:

with its two landmarks, the BCV bank headquarters:

and the Central Post building:

Heading below the railway station, past several building with characteristic Lausannois architecture:

I managed to pay a quick visit to the botanical garden before it closed for the winter season, a peaceful and charming place with a nice little pond and an impressive collection of cacti:

Last edited by WasabiHoney; May 23rd, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
WasabiHoney está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6209

Great idea! I enjoyed the pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing the contrasts between the seasons in your following posts.

WasabiHoney, Japanac liked this post
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:38 PM   #3
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 229697

Great, very nice photos from Lausanne indeed!

christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:53 PM   #4
viesis

Likes (Received): 447

I like the photos.
Can't wait for the next season. Hope to see some pics of the lake

viesis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Japanac
L'amour du risque

Likes (Received): 22777

WOW Cat, you are really great photographer! :chers:

Systeme scolaire mal foutu a lallure dusine a adulte meme format pour tout le monde leducation tmodele a la rue te fait perdre ta nature humaine, rentre dans la classe afin de rentrer dans une caste tempeche de penser par toi meme!

Japanac liked this post

WasabiHoney liked this post
Japanac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Brazilian001
carioca

Likes (Received): 30279

Great photos cat, I really liked them! And I totally agree with Japanac, you're a great photographer man!

And wow, just look at that, 24 viewers!!

Japanac, WasabiHoney, mb92 liked this post
Brazilian001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

Thanks for the kind words guys! And yes little brother, there will be plenty of photos of the lake later! Meanwhile, I'll continue the story:

AUTUMN

The sun was back, and I decided to visit the ruins of the Roman military camp of Lousonna, located in the lush area of Vidy:

In Ouchy, right by the lakeside, I briefly visited the gardens of the Beau Rivage Palace:

where I saw a handful of palm trees, apparently tough little suckers that can resist the cold of the winter months:

And what about this giant chessboard, reminiscent of the one in the first Harry Potter movie?

Something that particularly intrigued me in that area was the Chateau d'Ouchy, a beautiful castle that had been renovated and converted into a hotel:

There were apparently quite a few interesting things to be seen in the city. In the meantime however, being unable to find accommodation, I had to move temporarily to Morges, a sleepy town on the shores of Lake Geneva, 10km West of Lausanne. I particularly enjoyed its central cobbled street with its picturesque fountains, where the Saturday market was held:

The town hall of Morges can also be found on the same street:

as well as its Protestant church:

Last edited by WasabiHoney; May 22nd, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Japanac
L'amour du risque

When did you took this pics?
You said they will be in ond style, but acctualy they don't like so oldie?

Systeme scolaire mal foutu a lallure dusine a adulte meme format pour tout le monde leducation tmodele a la rue te fait perdre ta nature humaine, rentre dans la classe afin de rentrer dans une caste tempeche de penser par toi meme!

Japanac liked this post
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Brazilian001
carioca

Great cat, I specially like the way you describe your journey! Keep the pics coming!

And heck, you liked every single comment on your photos except mine!

Japanac liked this post
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Japanac
L'amour du risque

Wow, 200 views in 3 and half hour. I needed 2 days for that in UT section.

Japanac liked this post

Wapper liked this post
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM   #11
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanac View Post
When did you took this pics?
The ones I'll be posting now are from 2007 to 2010

Quote:
You said they will be in ond style, but acctualy they don't like so oldie?
I didn't say that, you misunderstood me. I was referring to some other photos taken earlier (between 2000 and 2006) by an analog camera, that remain to be digitalized before I can post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilian001 View Post
And heck, you liked every single comment on your photos except mine!
Just a slip of the mouse while I was pressing the like button

AUTUMN

I finally moved back to Lausanne, to this bizarre round building located at the corner of the Cedars park:

Below my window was this delightful little pond, which would become one of my favorite spots in the city. I would witness it switch to completely different "outfits" as the seasons changed!

Although the sun was still there, the weather had become noticeably cooler, and the city's wooded streets were now full of golden and reddish hues:

as were the walls of my school:

Close to school was also the wood of Dorigny, where I went for a walk to savor the autumn's atmosphere:

Passing through the wood was the peaceful Chamberonne river, which added a unique touch to the green and golden colors:

The parks in Lausanne had also worn their autumn outfit, with their fountains still dozing off before the cold weather shut them down:

Of all the fountains I had seen in the city, my favorite was probably this one, hidden somewhere inside the Olympic Park, where the frog seemed to tell the snails like a good teacher: "And that, my children, is how to be as slick and slimy as one can be!"

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:12 PM   #12
Brazilian001
carioca

I'm loving your thread cat! Now with your detailed description, the photos I've seen got a totally different flavor!

Cheers, cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasabiHoney View Post
Just a slip of the mouse while I was pressing the like button
OK, I'll believe you cat

WasabiHoney liked this post
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #13
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread! But that's it for tonight. I'm tired, so I'll continue tomorrow with the remaining autumn pictures
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM   #14
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

AUTUMN

Autumn had set in by then, and rain had become a more regular occurrence:

I still wandered around on the dry days however, from the shopping streets of the old city center:

to the suburban area of Ecublens, where I stumbled upon this house besieged by an overzealous ivy:

Somewhere around, this little fireball amidst the rusty autumn colors caught my eye:

The days were becoming greyer, with the first traces of snow appearing on the Alps across the lake:

As winter neared, the nights were also becoming chillier, occasionally drenching the city in fog, like here on Geneva street:

on Chauderon square:

or on Bel Air square and its homonymous concrete tower:

To escape the depressing greyness, I went once up to Sauvabelin wood above the city:

and all the way to the top of the landmark wooden tower. The city, the lake, the sky... everything was grey, as far as the eye could catch!

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM   #15
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

WINTER

As December advanced, the days were becoming increasingly shorter, and temperatures plummeted below zero at night, causing the little pond below my window to freeze:

Heating worked round the clock in every building. Even the churches were "smoking", like St Francois church on the homonymous square!

Fortunately, Christmas lights and decorations were springing in various locations around the city, adding a little touch of warmth to this cold and dark period, like here on Chateau d'Ouchy:

Chauderon square:

St Francois square:

with its cozy little Christmas market:

The Lausanne Palace:

Coop City:

The main hall of the railway station:

Le Flon:

And my personal favorite, the fountain of lights on La Riponne square:

Last edited by WasabiHoney; May 22nd, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM   #16
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

WINTER

After the holidays, the sun was back for a while, although the bitter cold remained. I took advantage of this to stroll again around the center and take some more photos, like this one of the Bel Air tower:

A couple of beautiful buildings near Saint Francois square (both housing the local headquarters of banks):

Below them was this funny frog fountain, which looked as it had just swallowed a particularly juicy fly:

I also passed through Chauderon square and its impressive modern buildings:

and went down the LEB train station below it, where I was pleasantly surprised to find this beautiful waterfall amidst surroundings of granite:

The lakeside area of Ouchy was also nice to pass through despite the cold and the nude trees. Here is one of its landmarks, the Hotel du Lac, looking great under the bright sun:

Of course, the sunny weather doesn't last forever in winter, and the dark clouds and strong wind were soon back:

as well as occasional snowfalls that made the city look even greyer:

and turned "my" little pond into a dark patch on the white ground:

As February came to an end, the cold slowly started to recede and the days became noticeably longer, so I resumed my explorations in the old center. This time I discovered the city hall on La Palud square:

and the neighboring Fountain of Liberty:

as well as this architectural masterpiece on St Laurent square:

I was also lucky enough to immortalize this magnificent fiery sunset over Lake Geneva:

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:28 PM   #17
Japanac
L'amour du risque

Awsome sunset!

Japanac liked this post

hugodiekonig, WasabiHoney liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:01 PM   #18
viesis

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Awsome sunset!
I second that!
The pics of the lake is awesome! Thank you, Wasabi.
And the frogs are absolutely adorable, just saying.

viesis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #19
Brazilian001
carioca

Great cat! I loved your night shots, and what to say about this sunset? I'm speechless!

Japanac, WasabiHoney liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #20
WasabiHoney
Feel the pungency!

SPRING

As April neared, the weather was getting gradually warmer, and when the first sprouts of new grass started to appear below the dead leaves on the university campus, a flock of sheep was there waiting for them!

The sun had gotten back, and the city slowly started to wake from its hibernation, under the watchful eye of the snow-covered Alps:

One day, I went out to find the nearby lawns carpeted in little white daisies:

It was the start of a flowery explosion all around the city! Trees were in full bloom on the streets:

and on campus:

and swarms of little purple and yellow flowers were taking over the walls:

The parks were turning into paintings with vivid colors, like the small Derriere-Bourg promenade:

with its magnificent floral map showing the 26 cantons of Switzerland:

Last but not least, my little pond had become natural piece of heaven, covered in flowering water plants and surrounded by greenery. I took this picture the day a young heron decided to pay us a visit:

The city looked and felt different. "Is that even the same place where I have lived until now?" was I thinking one day on top of Montriond hill, as I my stare wandered once over Lake Geneva and the Alps:

and once towards the city center: