daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM   #61
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 1045

Every game sells out at Anfield and has done (with a handful of exceptions) for years, the attendance figures show the attendance - clciks through the turnstiles at Anfield. Some clubs Man United and Newcastle amongst them publish tickets sold.

Market research indicated that selling 80,000 tickets per game was achievable but the club chose to rip 60,000 of us off rather than introduce a more flexible and dynamic pricing structure.

Sponsored Links

Old March 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM   #62
Sparks

Likes (Received): 9

Liverpool haven't really ever had huge attendances, largely limited by Anfield never being a massive stadium, so it will be a real test of their fanbase in the new stadium. Not so much in the first couple of seasons, but when the new stadium factor where's off after a while.
It was only three years ago Liverpool had 34500 for a home league game against Portsmouth, that's 10000 under capacity.

Last edited by Sparks; March 1st, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Sparks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM   #63
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
I don't think they'll fill a 60k ground

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #64
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
arsenal rarely sold out their old stadium
BS

Dont know where u got that from, every game would sell out (bar early league cup fixtures). Top games sold out in a matter of hours.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #65
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
arsenal rarely sold out their old stadium that sort of told us they wouldn't sellout 60k each week but they have and its pointless comparing to manu when half their stadium is full of corporates
Arsenal alway's sold out Highbury in it's last configuration of 38500 except for the odd cup game and reduced capacity champions league games. You would have to go back to before the ground rebuilding of the early 90's to find many games where tickets would remain unsold. The jump to 60k means that this season will result in a record average attendance for Arsenal of around 60k for league games.
The danger of making a groung too big could be apathy where fans think there are plenty of seats so I can go when I please and in reality rarely go.
This was the case before all seater stadia. You'd wake up in the morning and decide that you would go to the Arsenal v Man U/Liverpool/Spurs game. Another week you couldn't be arsed to go vs. Ipswich. Consequently there always seemed to be huge swings week to week in attendances. Now that you need to book in advance and be a member at least to watch Arsenal it is more of a consciece effort to support the club the seems to be more stability in attendances and that is'nt just at the more succesful clubs.

I don't think Liverpool should pitch thier capacity above 65k max, that was the figure I thought Arsenal could support. Anymore than that would probably mean a huge hike in the cost per seat ratio, so it would make sense to see if Liverpool could sustain 60-65k first. Afterall Old Trafford has been expanded in increments rather than one huge leap.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #66
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 392

So we've all seen this video of the new stadium?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBAKhOcU3Qs

And is this the "new" design?
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #67
TheFly
BANNED

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadboy View Post
Every game sells out at Anfield and has done (with a handful of exceptions) for years, the attendance figures show the attendance - clciks through the turnstiles at Anfield. Some clubs Man United and Newcastle amongst them publish tickets sold.

Oh Dear more anti United Bo**cks.

The Bolton game in a few weeks is sold out.

I know because United say so.
I know because I had to sell my ticket on Viagogo (United's Official ticket re-seller) and it was the only one showing for about an hour, before it was sold.

So, based on your dumb logic. United will be declaring an attendance of say 76,200 (capacity) +1! (my ticket!)

Arf.

Talk sense.

The attendance is based on turnstile entrance.

Methinks you are getting Utd mixed up with some other fantasy.
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #68
Chrisyd

Some clubs have definitely been quoting tickets sold (that is why despite always being within a couple of hundred of capacity in the quoted attendance seats can often be seen at the Emirates for lesser games and hence Arsenal have now commenced an official ticket resale site).

I have no idea how Manchester United calculate this, although with a thriving ticket resale market, as shown above, already in place, both figures would be very similar. I doubt even if they are quoting exact tickets sold, they would count your resold ticket again.

I have a theory that United always release a few more tickets as the season goes on for each game as it allows more "highest ever Premiership attendance ever" headlines to be generated.
Chrisyd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #69
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2299

More than a new stadium

A – Liverpool FC’s new 61,000-seater stadium, complete with a replacement for the Vernon Sangster sports centre, higher education facility run by Liverpool Hope university, expanded museum and tour centre, conference suites, club offices and underground car park.

B - The restored Stanley park, which will feature new football pitches, tennis courts, lake and a repaired Isla Gladstone conservatory. Park bridges, walls, pavilions and the lodge will all be brought up to scratch.

C - Anfield Plaza, a new residential and commercial centre built on the site of the current ground. Created around a central walkway leading up to the new stadium, it will include shops, homes, restaurants and cafes.

D - Regenerated housing - streets of boarded-up homes around Anfield are due to be demolished and replaced with brand-new properties. Many others will be refurbished to create a 21st-century community around New Anfield.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #70
Dave_PAFC

I like the design, and it'll be something which will be of great benefit to the whole city. I'd have thought the capacity would be larger, but if expansion can be easily done then it shouldn't be a problem, unlike Arsenal I believe as the way the roof is designed it would cost alot of money to expand.
Dave_PAFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #71
TheBoy

Likes (Received): 2

Reds owners halt work on stadium
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Liverpool have put preparatory stadium work on hold
Liverpool's new owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have halted work on their proposed new stadium and ordered a review of the plans.
BBC Sport understands the pair want to examine ways of increasing the 60,000 capacity of the arena in Stanley Park near their Anfield home.

Preparatory work has started on the ground, but major external changes would need a new planning application.

Liverpool's new ground is currently expected to cost around £215m.

TheBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #72
embe
FuturePlanningConsultant

Excellent news, would love to see a new proposal of 70,000+, although this would definitely need a new planning application lengthening the process.
embe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #73
Sparks

Likes (Received): 9

I don't see how the current site could hold more than say 65,000, given the infrastructure limitations. Any increase in capacity would mean a new planning application and obvious local objection. It's going to be a long time before for the stadium starts construction.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #74
Dave_PAFC

It'll be interesting to see what happens, as already mentioned, a considerable increase in initial capacity would need a new planning application, which might take a while. I don't see how residents can object because the new stadium will be in Stanley Park, whilst Anfield itself is surrounded by houses with 44,000 people flocking there every other week. There's always a few stubborn gets though isn't there.
Dave_PAFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #75
*England*
Who Dares Wins

i think the yanks are more interested in their underground dining bunker than increasing the capacity, i hope they up the seating but i cant see it happening somehow.
*England* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #76
potto

Likes (Received): 2085

There must be a way of shielding say a top tier of seating during lower attendance matches and then revealing them for bigger games, maybe even something cheap and cheerful like a large advertising banner wrapped around the tier
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #77
*England*
Who Dares Wins

if they manage to increase it i think it will only be around 5,000 or so extra seats, so my guestimate will be 66,500, the closest guess wins my last Rolo!
*England* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #78
Agent Vengence

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
if they manage to increase it i think it will only be around 5,000 or so extra seats, so my guestimate will be 66,500, the closest guess wins my last Rolo!
With a rolo up for grabs??!! i will take a guess at 68,000
Agent Vengence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #79
beddiebyes

I think they were mainly concerned with the fact that with the way the stadium has been designed you wont be able to increase the size in the future. Maybe they wont even increase the capicity at all in the short term, just tweak the design so that at a future date they would be more able to increase capicity. Who knows what their plans are, we'll just have to wait and see
beddiebyes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #80
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 5

Reds to begin stadium work in May

Liverpool will start the development of their new stadium in Stanley Park in May after plans were agreed at a meeting held over the weekend...
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote