daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Sim City

Sim City Discussions and showcase

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #1
queetz

Likes (Received):

Bridges and Ferries

Is there any advantages and disadvantages for choosing a much more extensive Ferry system than relying too much on very long bridges when crossing large bodies of water? Also, is there some things that we need to be aware off when building bridges but also taking into account a large maritime traffic?

Sponsored Links

Old December 26th, 2003, 02:51 AM   #2
Brizbane2

Likes (Received): 1

Sometimes I find that Ferries are a far more direct way of getting people around the place. In a couple of my cities, I have an industrial area on one riverbank, and a series of residential pockets along the opposite bank. Bridges are not a direct enough method for movement, particaularly for wide bodies of water. However a ferry system, having a capacity for direct point to point, diagonal travel, offers a far more efficient method for travel.

Also I find that Ferries area great for long distance travel between cities in a region.

Although in the manual, Maxis pushes the ferry as a tool to use if you dont have enough money for a bridge, I find that the ferry is actaully on equal footing with bridges. Great innovation in the game.
Old December 26th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #3
Style™
King of the Queen

Likes (Received): 3

Ok. Here is the bridge side of the equation. I will post the ferry side in a bit.

When creating a bridge make sure that the bridge is long enough to go across the place you want it to.
If you jsut drag it into the water it will get you nothing.

Drag it all the way across until it turns from red to the type of structure that may exist there.
If it does not look like what you want, don't worry. You can pick what
you want it to look like from a screen that pops up after you let go.

Here is a sample screen of what it may look like:

Note: There are different types of spans for each type of road.

So, you have the window up that lets you slect the type of bridge. Here you can also choose how
high the bridge needs to go. Some bridges will not have boats pass under them and some will.
If it will make sure it is tall enough!

To change the height taller drag the bar to the right. Shorter is to the left. The bar looks like this:

If it is tall enough it will say Heigh OK for ferries

If it is not tall enough then it will say Too low for ferries.

More information about bridges:

When creating a bridge be sure not to drag your span too long. If you do and you raise the height of the
bridge you could get some results that you may not want. If this happens press cancel and simply start over.

This is too long:

Some thing like this is fine:

Here is an example of what could happen if you drag it too long:

Here is a comparison screen to see what happens. If it is
too long nothing can go under or over it.

When creating subway underground:

Another option you have other than a rail bridge is to make a connector and have it go underground.
To do this simply put in a rail to subway connector and go from there!
Drag it from one connector to the other.

Note: When you are making your region be sure the edges under the water are not too steep!
If they are then you can not put subway underwater and you will have to go with a rail bridge.
You still have your beach or clif but it will just be much more deep.

An example of something that can work:

An example of too steep:

As you can see you get nothing done if you have too much fun with
your landscaping tool. Do not press down for too long or it will be steep!

Hope I helped!
Old December 26th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #4
queetz

Likes (Received):

WOW! This is awesome, Style. So the height limit, is it only measured for Ferries or will the height for freighters and other ships also be judged by?
Old December 26th, 2003, 03:02 AM   #5
Style™
King of the Queen

Yes, if ferries can get under it all other ships can too.

If not, blame what I said.
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #6
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 124

Blah. The ferry port is too hard to place... everytime I do it I have to reshape the land. Is there a better way?

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #7
Style™
King of the Queen

It depends. If the area around the water where you wish to place the ferry port is too steep then it will not place and you will have to change the land. When making your city, if you plan it out right then you will not have to change the land (that much). Sadly, there are just too many things you have to remember to do when starting your city!
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #8
AG
Engineer in training

Likes (Received): 5

Bridges usually work best on spans where both sides of the waterway are in the same city, unless you make a small island in between the two cities you are trying to connect, then make two bridges. Because my region is muchly water, and they act like roadways in getting from one place to another, there are ferry crossings everywhere, not neccesarily nearby or directly across the water from each other, all over the place. When the ferry terminals get busy I usually double up and place more nearby.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote