search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #741
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 207

Pocket Parks? - The kids would love em - I know I did when travelling over to see my nan and grandad at the weekend, thought they were awesome!
LocalVernacular no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #742
mikey23

Likes (Received): 123

The King's Cross one by the canal is being landscaped into public space I believe, quite successfully too. It was dismantled and sent off for conservation work, but, amusingly, so the story goes, on return the contractors had a game re-erecting it, as a result of the Victorian's having utilised waifs, strays and street urchins to shimmy up the hollow tubes to tighten the nuts and bolts.

There are also some excellent examples of reuse, with Dublin springing to mind
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #743
Spaceman!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Definitely should save them - what harm are they doing? We need some reminders.
a) taking up space.
b) reminders of what?

although, if they could do something with it as above then by all means keep them. as i said, if they're being used, its fine.
Spaceman! no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #744
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1271

Creative housing yes - if the lower 3m were clad in brick and were the garden boundary then we could build round apartments to sit inside them. I think they're magnificent structures and are a reminder of what we have built through our engineering history.
I'm still pissed that Modwen took away all of Longbridge's monuments - they could have saved certain bits / facades.

Urbanicity, LocalVernacular liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #745
Spaceman!

Likes (Received): 129

Thats what photographs and the Black Country museum are for
Spaceman! no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #746
Urbanicity

Likes (Received): 123

I think these gasometers are icons in their own right - they act as landmarks in this part of town, and can be seen for miles. There's a sense of history and identity that would be lost if they were replaced by anonymous could-be-anywhere Barratt boxes or warehouses. Why not redevelop it as a park or even new buildings, and give Birmingham something unusual?
Urbanicity no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #747
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 1629

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...g-sold-8480920

Quote:
Birmingham's O2 Academy building sold for £3.15 million

Bristol Street venue let to entertainment group for 19 more years has been snapped up by a private investor

The home of the O2 Academy in Birmingham has been sold for £3.15 million.

The building in Bristol Street, officially called 16-18 Horsefair, has been acquired by a private buyer from property investment company Riverside Capital.

16-18 Horsefair is let to O2 operator Academy Music Group and has 19 years to go on its lease, providing an annual income of £230,000. The deal represented a net initial yield of 6.9 per cent.

Property consultancy Colliers International acted on behalf of the vendor.

Alex Titheridge, director in its national investment team, said: "As investors continue to look outside of the capital for better yield opportunities, Birmingham has emerged as a real hot spot for investment activity with its sophisticated infrastructure programme setting it apart from other regional cities.

"At the same time, investor demand for the leisure sector is stronger than ever and we are seeing a large amount of institutional and non-institutional investors seeking access to the leisure marketplace.

"These two aspects, combined with the secure income stream and reversionary prospects, meant that 16-18 Horsefair proved a very attractive opportunity for prospective investors."

Academy Music Group also operates O2 Academy venues in London, Bristol, Glasgow and Sheffield among others.

The long leasehold for the property was held by Costree Properties for a term of 999 years from October 23, 2012.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #748
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3611

Appears the people in the city talk thread don't appreciate a birmingham update

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...69123&page=280

fruit&nut liked this post
sefton66 está en línea ahora  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #749
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 559

Lol - some people are so pathetic.

Well done Sefton.

sefton66, Brum X liked this post
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #750
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Appears the people in the city talk thread don't appreciate a birmingham update

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...69123&page=280
Sefton I ignore them and just stick to the Birmingham threads these days it's pointless too much arrogance hot air and delusions of grandeur at least that's how it was.

So much coming up in brum to even blink up north, is exciting times here I'd say we could be only one or two years away from the biggest boom ever seen in a regional city so not interested in what's happening elsewhere to be perfectly honest ��

BlackCountryAl liked this post
PSS1980 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #751
sefton66

agreed I just find it amusing to disprove them though when they try to write us off, Birmingham is booming we can't stay quiet forever like they'd hope
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #752
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3941

It'll shock them. I have noticed that we've had towers like Left Bank proposed, the Conservatoire etc etc and we don't seem to be post in the proposals thread where as every man and it's shed proposed elsewhere has multiple posts. You can see why people might get the impression that Birmingham might be dormant, however, I like to think it's because we know a lot's going on and moving now, if people are interested they'll come on here.

Once a few biggies are proposed it'll start people talking again. 20+ midrises between 50-110m obviously doesn't do the trick.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #753
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 218

It would be good to see someone it vision do someth9ing with those gas holders. I did some work on this converted Gas holder in Moscow

van heckler, fruit&nut liked this post
U475 Foxtrot está en línea ahora  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #754
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
agreed I just find it amusing to disprove them though when they try to write us off, Birmingham is booming we can't stay quiet forever like they'd hope
Yes agree I think by 2017 we could be seeing the biggest boom ever seen...

The guys in the north seem to be quite anti brum and extremely deluded at times mixed with utter arrogance...

joshwebb liked this post
PSS1980 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #755
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
It'll shock them. I have noticed that we've had towers like Left Bank proposed, the Conservatoire etc etc and we don't seem to be post in the proposals thread where as every man and it's shed proposed elsewhere has multiple posts. You can see why people might get the impression that Birmingham might be dormant, however, I like to think it's because we know a lot's going on and moving now, if people are interested they'll come on here.

Once a few biggies are proposed it'll start people talking again. 20+ midrises between 50-110m obviously doesn't do the trick.
Trouble is I think we will see shed loads between 50 and 100 Mtrs but yet to see where we will get anything much above 100 Mtrs in reality ....
PSS1980 no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:15 AM   #756
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3941

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/...-seven-tweets/

Interesting last tweet.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:00 AM   #757
CL81

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
You referring to the two major announcements? I hope it's more than just a scheme that we already know about going in for planning, or getting planning approval.

Last edited by CL81; January 21st, 2015 at 01:51 AM.
CL81 no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:01 AM   #758
Nacho

Likes (Received): 254

That's a good one Foxtrot ;I was quite impressed by the work in Kings Cross too.I wonder what are the future plans for the Black Lake (West Bromwich) ones.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:39 AM   #759
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
It'll shock them. I have noticed that we've had towers like Left Bank proposed, the Conservatoire etc etc and we don't seem to be post in the proposals thread where as every man and it's shed proposed elsewhere has multiple posts.
Lol, I saw one list from one of our northern friends that included a kitchen extension in Moss Side. Exciting stuff indeed...
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:11 PM   #760
sefton66

£20m life science campus investment by BCU

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...l-life-8486042

Closed Thread