daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #21
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Memorial Stadium had trees...it was almost a forest, actually. When the ballpark opened in 1954, the outfield fence was a hedge!! That didn't last long, though.
Camden Yards has trees right past the bullpen too...it's just a little hard to hit a ball that far.
pfd103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #22
RudyMoose11

Likes (Received): 0

O's

Go O's baby!

I'm actually heading down there tomorrow morning to hit some spring training games. I'll be sure to take some pics of the stadium at Ft. Lauderdale. No Camden Yards of course, it's more like a minor league stadium, however, you do get to get upclose and personal with the players a little bit more.
RudyMoose11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #23
pfd103
Bmore

Looks like there won't be much of the hilton project to look at for Opening Day at Camden Yards...I had this thought in my head last fall (not really sure why) that they would have part of the project that would be in front of the train station finished by now.

It would be nice if they throw something O's related up on the construction site for Opening Day.

Go O's
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #24
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
It's truly sad that the O's recent woes have begun to really affect surrounding businesses and attractions at Camden Yards..
xander, it may be one of the greatest ironies in baseball:

Baltimore, the inventor of the retropark, the city showed all the others to follow the way, the city that first truly benefitted from the advantage of a downtown park filled with fans..

...somehow missed the "bounce" the Orioles should have had when they openned the new place. So many of the first wave of new ball parks that followed Camden Yards saw success come...notably to teams like the Indians and Giants.

Remarkably the Orioles, for all there glory in the Memorial Stadium era have not been able to make the grade since the new park openned. That's a shame...it would be great to see what a place like Camden Yards would be like in a real pennant race.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #25
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
xander, it may be one of the greatest ironies in baseball:

Baltimore, the inventor of the retropark, the city showed all the others to follow the way, the city that first truly benefitted from the advantage of a downtown park filled with fans..

...somehow missed the "bounce" the Orioles should have had when they openned the new place. So many of the first wave of new ball parks that followed Camden Yards saw success come...notably to teams like the Indians and Giants.

Remarkably the Orioles, for all there glory in the Memorial Stadium era have not been able to make the grade since the new park openned. That's a shame...it would be great to see what a place like Camden Yards would be like in a real pennant race.
Excellent point, edsg25. By the way, I'm a huge fan of McCovey's Cove behind the Giants stadium. Barry Bonds used to hammer the ball into that body of water alot before it was discovered that he was hitting the 'roids.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #26
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Camden Yards is really w/ few rivals when it comes to having an electric environment during big games/playoffs/events. Even today, I don't think you need two hands to count the better baseball atmospheres that could compete w/ the Orioles of '96 & '97 playoff runs nvm Cal breaking the record in '95.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #27
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1329

I hear that the Nationals stadium will have cherry trees (with cherry blossoms obviously). Anyone know what that will look like or have any information to discuss about that?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #28
NovaWolverine

Not about the cherry trees, but we know what the stadium will look like.
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #29
HAudidoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I hear that the Nationals stadium will have cherry trees (with cherry blossoms obviously). Anyone know what that will look like or have any information to discuss about that?
Tons of pictures of the cherry trees here...

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...newstadium.jsp

Head over to JD's site for more information on the surrounding development if you're interested.

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm
HAudidoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #30
NovaWolverine

I think it looks good, we still need some more DC things in there though.
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #31
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1329

The cheery blossoms look nice.

I hope they're using a lot of marble for the facade of the stadium, that's the only way to go to have a distinctly DC ballpark.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #32
NovaWolverine

I think they're using some limestone or something that looks like limestone. I think they'll think of more things.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #33
micrip

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
Tons of pictures of the cherry trees here...

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...newstadium.jsp

Head over to JD's site for more information on the surrounding development if you're interested.

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm
Will look nice...but won't compare with this....

micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #34
edsg25
BANNED

the new Nats stadium looks like it is going to be a beauty. I noticed the the upper deck behind home plate is lower than it is along 1st and 3rd. Does anyone know if this is paying deverence to the same type of arrangement at Griffith Stadium?
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM   #35
micrip

Just noticed the seats behind home plate. They look like they are upholstered! No hard plastic for the DC crowd!!
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM   #36
pfd103
Bmore

Does it seem like the new Nats stadium will have a lot of room behind home plate? I'm not a big fan of tons of field in foul ground...I like being closer to the action.

Any idea on the naming of the new Nats stadium? Something like "Verizon Park"?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM   #37
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 125

The stadium is ok.. nothing spectacular about the way it looks.. I am a bit dissapointed.. I expected more...
Balmurfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:59 AM   #38
NovaWolverine

It's fine, it looks good and distinctive from the outside and if we develop the neighborhood nicely, it'll be a good atmosphere for baseball.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #39
micrip

It's definately not retro. It may appear that era may be ending. The new parks in Philly, Cincy, and DC all seem to have moved away from the Camden Yards look.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #40
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
The stadium is ok.. nothing spectacular about the way it looks.. I am a bit dissapointed.. I expected more...
did you consider the possiblity that the "nothing spectacular" might be an advantage. You guys in Baltimore developed a fine concept with Camden Yards; yours was the first retro parks and today remains one of the best.

but since your example, some of the over-the-top retroparks have gone absolutely overboard in putting every architectural element and every reference to the older parks of the 20th century into their new construction. The result: a hodge podge of overload as each tried to do the one before it.

In Chicago, we were unfortunate that the new Comiskey (US Cellular) openned the year before Camden Yards and the splendid example it set. The new park went from getting raves to boo's in a matter of years, its symmetrical layout and lack of the old fashioned feel made it seem lacking compared to the new parks.

And while it will never mean what Wrigley does to Chicago, the Cell has begun to regain favor now just because of how overdone some of the retroparks are.

Under those circumstances, it is very possible that Washington's more straight forward park might be a very good new additon for MLB >