search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #1181
BlackFriars
BlackFriars

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post
I don't get it. Many people are always complaining there isn't enough green space in the city and now we have the opportunity to get some said people are moaning because its "such a waste!". Come on peeps make ya minds up.
I agree with you. Some green spaces are needed to balance out the buildings, otherwise they might as well just stick up samey style buildings cheek by jowl. And lets face it, the ones planned on the Salford side aren't much to write home about. Is there a flat shortish or summat.
BlackFriars no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #1182
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 830

What a great little open space that could be, sitting watching the river and trains running across the new bridge. Plus the view over Middlewood locks too.

jrb, VDB, GShutty liked this post
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #1183
yesevil

Likes (Received): 203

The next consultation...further details on the first plans to be submitted, no mention of where the consultation is though:

http://alliedlondon.com/public-consu...h-june-12-7pm/

Quote:
PUBLIC CONSULTATION ON ST. JOHN’S – WEDNESDAY 24TH JUNE

Allied London is holding a consultation event inviting local residents to share their thoughts on the future of St. John’s, the redevelopment of the former Granada Studios estate.

The St. John’s team continues to take all feedback it receives on board and has been working hard over the past two years to develop a masterplan that will guide the future development of this neighbourhood.

The forthcoming planning submission is a culmination of this work and sets out Allied London’s vision for a new place to live, work and play; a place for future enterprise and innovation; and for culture, entertainment and leisure.
yesevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #1184
trinityboy

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesevil View Post
The next consultation...further details on the first plans to be submitted, no mention of where the consultation is though:

http://alliedlondon.com/public-consu...h-june-12-7pm/
Drop in via the ITV Gatehouse on Quay St.
trinityboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:21 PM   #1185
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 3177

Michael Ingall has just tweeted this:

@stjohnsmcr Manchester's vertical village, now a serious proposition, in detail design. @alliedlondon

ThreeFour34, VDB, hulmeman2, heijbs, rolybling and 5 others liked this post
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #1186
ferge
Like 'Berg'

It's going in the right direction Far more realistic and refined than the pie in the sky concept that was first mooted. Still struggling to be fully enthused with it, mind (just because we see how these visions become value engineered and scaled back (plus I mean, come on.. is Manchester ready for a scheme of that scale?!)). But here is to hoping
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:35 PM   #1187
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 656

Is that taken from a yet to be developed park or existing?
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:56 PM   #1188
jimbo1991

Likes (Received): 5

so is this the redesign of the design that was shown a couples of months back. little gutted I though the previous design would be iconic worldwide this just seems to be a more or less generic skyscraper. does anyone no the hight of these?
jimbo1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #1189
jimbo1991

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post
Michael Ingall has just tweeted this:

@stjohnsmcr Manchester's vertical village, now a serious proposition, in detail design. @alliedlondon

Though I have to say this does look quite Impressive for Manchester anyway its about time we got some decent skyscrapers
jimbo1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #1190
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 2801

I suspect the original concept had some significant issues with its 'buildability'. Even if those shapes were achievable I suspect the cost would be far far beyond what even the most expensive apartments in Manchester would recoup!
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:54 PM   #1191
Uomo Senza Nome

Likes (Received): 901

London has boxes, Chicago has boxes, New York, LA famously (in high-rise world) to allow helicopter landing on all talls etc etc.

What do we expect from Manchester?

Christ, miserable lot posting tonight. Spoilt the lot of yer, not sure what with! This is awesome in this form. Period.

Jeez.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM   #1192
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 28783

Under the render he added.

The render is probably a semi-basic massing render with the detail to follow. Either way, how anyone can complain about the proposals beyond me. Ingall delivered Spinningfields, so there's absolutely every reason to think he'll deliver the Vertical Village proposal, along with St John's.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:06 AM   #1193
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Firstly, you'll have to forgive folk for not sticking the bunting up just yet.. It might surprise you to hear that this isn't the first vision for the city to have been posted on this forum in its history.

Vivo anyone?

Secondly, it is important to take these images at face value. They are still very early in the design process, I'm happy to be wrong, but it would not surprise me if in a year or two these visuals suddenly lose the stack of trees that align every atrium of the towers, then the curved roofs are scaled back...and it goes on. What you see is not always what you will get, that is the design process, that is life. It isn't being miserable, it isn't about throwing a tantrum. A little look through the archives of this forum will show you just about every facet of development that has been conjured in the past 20 years. A lot of people spent a lot of time getting very excited over a lot of visuals that never went beyond that.

I look forward to not only seeing the development of this scheme and hope it comes to fruition, but I'm not going to cartwheel about the daisies in the mean time.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1194
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferge View Post
Firstly, you'll have to forgive folk for not sticking the bunting up just yet.. It might surprise you to hear that this isn't the first vision for the city to have been posted on this forum in its history.

Vivo anyone?

Secondly, it is important to take these images at face value. They are still very early in the design process. What you see is not always what you will get, that is the design process, that is life. It isn't being miserable, it isn't about throwing a tantrum. A little look through the archives of this forum will show you just about every facet of development that has been conjured in the past 20 years. A lot of people spent a lot of time getting very excited over a lot of visuals that never went beyond that.

I look forward to not only seeing the development of this scheme and hope it comes to fruition, but I'm not going to cartwheel about the daisies in the mean time.
Just be patient.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:19 AM   #1195
Darude Sandstorm

Likes (Received): 268

Its a bit disappointing we've lost its jazzy shape, but then again the new design isn't too shabby. Will still be a very impressive development for an upcoming European powerhouse. We must think London lost its beloved pinnacle to what is a box. Being a new member, does anyone know what that green space is?
Darude Sandstorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:40 AM   #1196
jrb
10th February 2008

The proposed tower for the bottom of Quay Street.(I think?) In it's basic render form.

Darude Sandstorm liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:42 AM   #1197
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude Sandstorm View Post
Its a bit disappointing we've lost its jazzy shape, but then again the new design isn't too shabby. Will still be a very impressive development for an upcoming European powerhouse. We must think London lost its beloved pinnacle to what is a box. Being a new member, does anyone know what that green space is?
A proposed park fronting the River Irwell? I stand corrected.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:42 AM   #1198
VDB
Ed

Likes (Received): 24332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude Sandstorm View Post
I'm not certain, but I'm going to assume it's the riverside park proposed in the St John's masterplan, photographed here by ThreeFour34 last week:

Darude Sandstorm liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:17 AM   #1199
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 636

The Vertical Village images haven't changed much at all! OK, it's less curvaceous, but the tallest tower is still approaching 50 floors, with 2 clusters of 3 towers each! Just more detail has been added! (The top image is slightly larger than the top one, which you can tell by the clothing goalposts!)

GShutty liked this post

Last edited by Chogmook; June 23rd, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:31 AM   #1200
PJH2015

Likes (Received): 827

Even though it seems to have disappeared on the latest render, I hope the connecting bridge remains in the plans. That makes it feel more like a 'vertical village' than just a cluster of towers. Either way, I will be happy if the essence of this project gets built. Let's be honest, it's better than what's on this site at the moment.
PJH2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote