daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #1
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 26100

OneTwoFive | 125 Deansgate | 49m | 12 fl | U/C

Plans for £70m office scheme in central Manchester
BDNW: http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/north...s_section=4150

17th September 2015

By Nick Jackson - Deputy Editor, North West

Quote:
Worthington Group's planned Lincoln House Square development

PLANS for a new £70m office scheme in the heart of Manchester have been submitted by Worthington Properties, part of the Lancashire-based Marcus Worthington Group.

The landmark office scheme will occupy a prime office location on Deansgate strategically positioned between the gateway to Spinningfields and Manchester’s civic core.

It will deliver 113,500 sq ft of Grade A office space and a further 12,100 sq ft of retail space over two units.

Replacing 123-127 Deansgate - also known as Lincoln House - formerly occupied by law firm Pannone, it will form an integral part of the wider redevelopment of Brazenose Street and Lincoln Square. Construction is expected to start in summer 2016.

Worthington Properties director Russell Worthington said: “This BREEAM Excellent scheme will deliver 113,500sq ft Grade A office floorplates on one of the busiest and most sought after locations in Manchester.

"It will make a welcome addition to this area of the city and will complement what is happening in Lincoln Square and its immediate surrounds.”

Glenn Howells Architects, which designed One St Peter’s Square and Vimto Gardens in Manchester and Salford respectively, was tasked with creating the impressive designs.

Dav Bansal, director added: “Paying homage to the industrial character of Deansgate with its red Victorian architecture, we are delighted with the contemporary yet strikingly calm approach to the design that compliments the centrepiece Grade I Listed John Ryland Library within this pivotal setting. It marks a significant opportunity on Deansgate and is a catalyst for the transformation of this area.”

Real estate agency Savills has been appointed to market the scheme.

James Evans, of Savills said:“The proposed building occupies one of the highest profile spots within the city.

"It will provide a visually stunning addition to Deansgate whilst offering occupiers highly efficient floorplates. We are of no doubt successful businesses within Manchester will recognise the benefits of locating to the development.”

Planning advice and guidance was provided by Deloitte Real Estate. Niall Alcock, assistant director added: “After a long period of relative inactivity, we are now seeing a number of commercial developments come forward to meet the strong demand for Grade A office space in the city centre.

"We expect that this demand will continue, bolstered by Manchester’s

iamtheSTIG, JBGee, AC1, Manc Guy, Bylina and 5 others liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #2
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

This looks quality.

Caiman, atharii liked this post
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 7704

It does look good. I've always quite liked the building that's currently there to be honest.

Develo liked this post
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #4
AC1
Alex

Likes (Received): 2903

Am I right in thinking this would involve the demolition of the two buildings currently fronting Deansgate?
AC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #5
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10842

It does indeed. I've decided upon seeing the larger render I like this even more (even if it is 1SPS's sister). This will be massive on Deansgate.

JBGee liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #6
he-bloke

Likes (Received): 450

Place North West says three interlinked buildings, are they wrong?

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...d-redeveloped/
he-bloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 223

like the open space at ground level. Hopefully will lead to an improvement in the Public Realm around there too. Lincoln Sq has looked tired for a long time now...
Gavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #8
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
like the open space at ground level. Hopefully will lead to an improvement in the Public Realm around there too. Lincoln Sq has looked tired for a long time now...
The open space is existing...
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #9
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 3752

Similar to above, having seen the larger render, I am not too worried about the existing building making way for this now. Very nice.
Caiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #10
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 31094

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post

Plans for £70m office scheme in central Manchester
BDNW: http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/north...s_section=4150

17th September 2015

By Nick Jackson - Deputy Editor, North West
Love that. Great addition to Deansgate. And compliments John Rylands as well.

Some cracking office buildings going up in Manchester atm.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #11
hifive605

Likes (Received): 354

superb. Took me a while to figure out where this is going.. The red brick its replacing has a decent historical facade that ruined by banal modenised ground level - so no fussed to see it go. The glass building going detracts from the character of the street as well.

I'd be sooo happy if this style became the new vernacular for Manchester - it seems a natural evolution of the historical warehouses - massive, blocky, handsome, awesome

JBGee liked this post
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #12
hifive605

Likes (Received): 354

necessary to point out that when built this with be flanked by 2 shit house buildings - hopefully this will speed up their demolition
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #13
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive605 View Post
superb. Took me a while to figure out where this is going.. The red brick its replacing has a decent historical facade that ruined by banal modenised ground level - so no fussed to see it go. The glass building going detracts from the character of the street as well.

I'd be sooo happy if this style became the new vernacular for Manchester - it seems a natural evolution of the historical warehouses - massive, blocky, handsome, awesome
Exactly Hi5.

Would love to see more of this copper-esc finish used on more buildings. It compliments Manchester's red brick perfectly. And I wouldn't be bothered if it was metal, stone, or both.
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #14
urbnist

Likes (Received): 654

Always thought this site, if incorporated with the block on the corner of John Dalton St, could have made for a decent location for a John Lewis.
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Nathan Dawz

Likes (Received): 2432

Love it, get it built!
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #16
Folly

Likes (Received): 816

I can't believe how people swoon over architecture like this, it's so utterly forgettable! A big fat boring box (though offering the attractive large/open floor plates the developer wants ), plastered with copy & pasted facades from other recent developments in the city that have won pp. What's the attraction? Seriously someone please tell me.

The present Lincoln House imo is on another plane - a playful ziggurat shape with shades of crystal palace.. dreamy use of granite and glass. The best of it's type in the city i'd say..

would be a massive shame.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #17
jrb
10th February 2008

TBF it is an attractive office block. And my claim to fame is going in it once. Had a great view of Spinningfilelds.

However, the thing that strikes me is the lost office space on the upper floors, as the building and floors become smaller and smaller. That isn't a good return for any property developer/owner.

Sad to see it go, but I think it's replacement is a striking, fitting, and a well designed proposal/alternative.
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3542

In my opinion it's only replacing the blandest of PoMo shite, but I'm still slightly disappointed that this development is being progressed independently rather than as part of a wider redesign of the area to allow the buildings to interact better with the public realm.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #19
kunalh

Likes (Received): 36

hope they demolish the building behind it too!
kunalh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #20
Folly

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
In my opinion it's only replacing the blandest of PoMo shite, but I'm still slightly disappointed that this development is being progressed independently rather than as part of a wider redesign of the area to allow the buildings to interact better with the public realm.
Read Hatherley then?
Folly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: