daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Old April 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #41
Jeff_of_Dayton

Likes (Received): 0

Just think, eweezerinc, since you drove to SuperJesus, just 15-20 more minutes more on I-75 and you would have been in donwtown Dayton, which does have a McDonalds.

[quote]Same with The Gramercy at Garfield Place and the Gramercy ON Garfield[/quote[

I thought these are low rise rowhouse type things?

Sponsored Links

Old April 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #42
Cardpooch

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Dude, which Cincinnati did you visit?! I can't believe I missed this comment! LOL!
My mistake..I thought we were talking about Cincinnati, Iowa.
Cardpooch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #43
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardpooch View Post
My mistake..I thought we were talking about Cincinnati, Iowa.
That's cool.

Quote:
Hey, when all ya got is 3 or 4 bucks, you'd be lookin for a Mcdonalds or Taco Bell or Wendy's too. All the local places looked like we would be short several bucks. Personally, I would have loved to have stayed DT, but it was freezing ass cold, so we also didn't want to go walking around checking prices.
eweezerinc, next time you come to visit Downtown Cincy, check out www.gototown.com ahead of time ...

For instance, lot's of places on this link that are restaurants to where you could've eaten with a $4 price rance:

http://gototown.com/cgi-bin/viewcat....gory=Daytimers

Honestly, the last time I ate at a McDonalds, was before I watched Supersize Me, after that, my appetite for MickeyD's was gone for ever ...
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #44
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Quote:
eweezerinc, next time you come to visit Downtown Cincy, check out www.gototown.com ahead of time ...
You can't plan out a spontaneous trip to the aquarium ahead of time. Gosh.

I will definately do so next time though. I'm thinking about a Reds game this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_of_Dayton View Post
Just think, eweezerinc, since you drove to SuperJesus, just 15-20 more minutes more on I-75 and you would have been in donwtown Dayton, which does have a McDonalds.

Well we ran out of time to keep going up (we thought about visiting a friend who's at school in Dayton) because as we were leaving our buttery Jesus friend, we saw this place called the Trader's Market, or something like that. It was full of all these giant giraffes and gorillas; zebras and elephants; hippos and horses. So we stopped, hopped the fence, and took lots of pictures of us riding the giant beasts.
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #45
ColDayMan
King of Flyover Country

One Lytle Place.....those are apartments, not condos.

They were built to be condominiums and were in the first couple of years.

Same with The Gramercy at Garfield Place and the Gramercy ON Garfield. One's a hotel/corporate apartments, the other strictly apartments.

Way to skirt around the main point.

And Adams Landing is hardly what I would consider a "high rise". Not on the same level as The Ascent or what is proposed for Ovation or South Shore.

You're right. Adams Landing has more housing units.

What does Le Corbusier have to do with anything? I'm lost.

And until I hear from official sources that Ovation is being scaled back, I won't believe it. Sorry.

The first line went over your head, clearly. The second line is inevitable.
ColDayMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #46
Cashville
BANNED

Quote:
Kentuckians love to see it's state do well (who wouldn't?), but the creditability is a little less when the reason is to please another state, another city ... Cincinnati, Ohio.

Fact is NOKY is Cincinnati, 150 years ago. That's all. End of story. By the way, I do have a lot of respect for Louisville, it is a cool-ass city that is old as hell and me being a Cincy booster, well you can't be one for the same reasons without being a Louisville one as well.

First thanks for the links about Cincinnati condos and what not, but I have to say you are not getting what this thread is about. Nobody is on here claiming that NKY is in anyway bigger or more important than Cincinnati, we all realize that Cincy is the center of the region.

The question is, is NKY stealing some of Cincys thunder and after reading this thread it appears yes. IF the aquarium was originally suppposed to be in downtown Cincy but ended up across the river then that is some thunder being stolen. Another poster brought up some other projects that could have been in Cincy but also ended up in NKY that Im not familiar with (not really that familiar with the area in general, only extensive amount of time spent around the downtown area was for a riverboat festival not to long ago in which both sides of the river were packed).
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #47
ColDayMan
King of Flyover Country

Well, I think if we are talking about stealing in THAT sense, I think West Chester (Ohio) would be far more worthy of the "thunder-stealer" of Metro Cincinnati.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #48
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Well, I think if we are talking about stealing in THAT sense, I think West Chester (Ohio) would be far more worthy of the "thunder-stealer" of Metro Cincinnati.
I see, but my point is that NOKY is going through what DT Cincy did ~150 years ago. As of late, I'll agree with ColDayMan on this one.
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #49
DaVilleisGr8

Quote:
Except that this thread is about downtown Cincy and the urban developments of NKY
DaVilleisGr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #50
ColDayMan
King of Flyover Country

Your point is valid except that I'm showing the inaccuracy of this thread and directing it towards a more realistic reality (or in this place, sprawl-burb).
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #51
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

God love that KY pride!
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_of_Dayton View Post
Quote:
Same with The Gramercy at Garfield Place and the Gramercy ON Garfield
I thought these are low rise rowhouse type things?
The Gramercy ON Garfield has some townhouses, sure, but the rest are studios and such. Plus, they're still rentals. And hardly highrises.

And the Gramercy AT Garfield Place is a hotel/corporate apartment building.
1012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #53

Quote:

They were built to be condominiums and were in the first couple of years.
Whatever. They're not condos now. Even still, wouldn't you think it's a bit deceptive to infer that we had a building boom of condo highrises in the 80's and 90's, when it was only ONE downtown highrise that was built in 1981? And I'm not so sure I'm inclined to believe OLP started as condos. I asked my Mom, and she said they were built as apartments. Do you have a link to some information that says otherwise?

Quote:
Way to skirt around the main point.
How so? You're giving inaccurate information to support your position, and making something out to be something it wasn't. I'm simply correcting you.

Quote:
You're right. Adams Landing has more housing units.
Hardly a highrise, though.

Quote:
The first line went over your head, clearly.
Apparently so. Maybe you could answer my question and tell me what Le Corbusier has to do with the supposed "high-rise condo boom" in Cincinnati during the past two decades.

Quote:
The second line is inevitable.
Well, if you're in-the-know, I'll accept what you're saying. But it sounds like you're simply expressing your opinion about the matter.
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #54

Quote:
Thank you. We try our best.
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #55
ColDayMan
King of Flyover Country

Whatever. They're not condos now. Even still, wouldn't you think it's a bit deceptive to infer that we had a building boom of condo highrises in the 80's and 90's, when it was only ONE downtown highrise that was built in 1981? And I'm not so sure I'm inclined to believe OLP started as condos. I asked my Mom, and she said they were built as apartments. Do you have a link to some information that says otherwise?

I knew someone that lived in the tower in 1985 and they said it was built and was condo until it was converted into apartments in '89, I believe.

How so? You're giving inaccurate information to support your position, and making something out to be something it wasn't. I'm simply correcting you.

Again, you skirted around the point.

And yet the Ovation isn't up and the Ascent isn't that much taller.

Apparently so. Maybe you could answer my question and tell me what Le Corbusier has to do with the supposed "high-rise condo boom" in Cincinnati during the past two decades.

I was directly discussing the Ovation in regards to LeCor. Again, went over your head. Don't worry about it.

Well, if you're in-the-know, I'll accept what you're saying. But it sounds like you're simply expressing your opinion about the matter.

Looking at the history of scaled projects in NKY (Ascent, Millennium Tower, the Corporex Tower, Rivers Edge), I'm sure this will be scaled down as well. Guess? Sure. Is history on my side? Sure. If its any consolation to your suburban isolationistic cynicism, the city won't be building an "Ovation" anytime soon either.

Didn't realize Fairfield was in West Chester. Talk about inaccurate information...
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #56
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1012 View Post
... I asked my Mom ...
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:43 AM   #57

I'll put my current response in bold blue, as I'm tired of typing the quote tags....

Quote:

I knew someone that lived in the tower in 1985 and they said it was built and was condo until it was converted into apartments in '89, I believe.

Uh huh. Interesting. My dentist lived there when they were first built, and continued to live there into the late 80's....and at all times while he lived there, they were apartments. Somehow, something is a bit screwy, don't you think? Perhaps the building had rentals and condos at the same time? Is it common for a condo building to convert into rentals? It's usually the other way around.

Regardless, one highrise hardly makes a condo building boom.

Again, you skirted around the point.

Again, how so? What is the point?

And yet the Ovation isn't up and the Ascent isn't that much taller.

So what? I asked you a question about the supposed Cincinnati "highrise" condo boom of the 80's and 90's. You fed me inaccurate information. So why did you refer to it as a condo boom?

I was directly discussing the Ovation in regards to LeCor. Again, went over your head. Don't worry about it.

You said nothing about Le Corbusier in anything you wrote regarding Ovation. At least not in this thread. Unless, you simply had him in mind, and expect us to be mind readers. But I won't worry about it.

Looking at the history of scaled projects in NKY (Ascent, Millennium Tower, the Corporex Tower, Rivers Edge), I'm sure this will be scaled down as well. Guess? Sure. Is history on my side? Sure. If its any consolation to your suburban isolationistic cynicism, the city won't be building an "Ovation" anytime soon either.

I didn't realize The Ascent had been scaled back from the original proposals for the project. Do you know what was originally proposed? Any links to that information?

I'll agree with you on the Millennium Tower.

As for the Corporex Tower, I'm not familiar with that project, or it's original proposal.

What is Rivers Edge?

My suburban isolationist cynicism? How am I isolated? I have all I want here in the 'burbs. Nothing in Cincinnati holds any appeal to me. Absolutely NOTHING. There simply isn't anything there I need that I can't find here (and find it more conveniently) in the suburbs.

And I'll consider your thoughts on "Ovation" to be simply your own skepticism - much as I'm skeptical about The Banks amounting to anything much.

Didn't realize Fairfield was in West Chester. Talk about inaccurate information...

Did I not update my profile? Oooops, my bad. I moved to West Chester in December.

Quote:

Hmmmm.....not sure what that's supposed to mean. But I asked my mom because I simply wanted to double check my information. She dated my dentist after my folks got divorced, and visited him on different occasions.

Last edited by 1012; April 21st, 2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #58
slumcat

N. Ky. stealing downtown Cincinnati's thunder? No, not really...

No, not really...the two areas are mutually beneficial. People cross the river without even thinking about it. I like Bellevue Ky., it has a very small "walkable" downtown with lots of interesting shops and restaurants.
Here's some pics from along the Ohio river a few years ago when the Great American Ball Park was under construction.
Coal and barge traffic is really important to the regional economy.
More typical Bellevue...
slumcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote