daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #21
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
What about Universal Studios? They were talking about that a few years back but nothing ever seem to materialize. There have been a few theme park projects in Johor that never seem to get off the ground???

Well.....Renong Group is supposed to bring Universal Studios to Bandar Nusajaya. But we all knew what happened to Renong

Sponsored Links

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #22
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
Well.....Renong Group is supposed to bring Universal Studios to Bandar Nusajaya. But we all knew what happened to Renong
It will turn into something like "merenong" bulan.
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #23
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
I guess because American malls which are similar in size to the ones here are built on 50 acres of land or more and they have plenty of space to build horizontally. The parking is always FREE too. Unlike here where the developers are so kedekut and allocate less then 10 acres for the malls. Maybe we should learn from the Americans?

Well......the US had a much higher landbank compared to Malaysia to begin with. Land here (and even in the US) are not 'given' so there are always limit to the land the mall are located on. I dun think the developers here are kedekut lah cos we're not Americans which love sprawling malls which aren't as environmentally friendly and efficient as stacked-up malls. We must also take into consideration that most malls in the US are single storey with of course the exception of some big ones and also those downtown in a city.

And parking is free because the Americans are a noisy lot if there are such charges. Furthermore open-air parking require minimal construction cost thus there isn't any need to charge for carparks. Open-air carparks in Malaysia like those of Tesco, Makro and Carrefour which adopt the Americanised concept have no charges for parking too. But one can't expect well-managed carparks like those of Berjaya Times Square, Lot 10 and KLCC to do the same as the maintenance is much higher for multi-level carparks. We must also look at the ROI for these carparks. I personally preferred malls with smaller footprint and have multi-level carparks because it is less sprawling. I do not like walking for 'miles' to my car. Furthermore our tropical weather isn't that suitable for outdoor carparks

Seriously....parking here is very very cheap compared to many countries. During the weekend, the most expensive parking in the city is just RM5 & 6 per entry (KLCC and Bkt Bintang area). So I dun think we should rant about not having free parking especially when our cars are shaded and sheltered. And how many times you go to a mall in a week?

I just do not think the American system is suitable for Malaysia
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #24
yung85

Likes (Received): 0

american system is unsustainble and bad for the environment.... bigger doesnt mean better... all u do is damage the environment... and den its so big tat it makes it very hard for us to get from one place to another... therefor needing to drive... look at europe which i think is much better than US... everywhere is just walking distance...
so the americans has much more to learn.... they have lived a very good and wasteful life... its time for them to do something about it before its too late... btw i have been to america and i have lived in europe for more than 10 yrs now and i have lived in malaysia before so i do know wat i am talking about.... well the exceptions in america is the north east part around new york

Last edited by yung85; June 8th, 2005 at 12:32 PM.
yung85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #25
weiaze

Likes (Received): 74

Ah Sheikh - you must be a recent grad from an American U? I was like that too when I first finished college in the states. But I don't think Malaysia can afford to have car parks like the US - it will trap too much heat and we already cut too many trees down. But I must say I did enjoy the free and ample parking during my time in the US.
weiaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #26
weiaze

Likes (Received): 74

"europe which i think is much better than US"

You mean the old parts? It's not really fair to compare Europe which is like thousands of years old to the US. The old parts of US are pretty intimate too - as you mentioned Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston, Charleston, New Orleans, Savannah all are great for pedestrians. I think the new suburbs of Europe are just like American suburbs where you have to drive everywhere and with strip malls.
weiaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM   #27
tahoo

Likes (Received): 0

Lagenda Tasek @ JB

Any comment on Lagenda Tasek @ JB?

I am looking for investment in JB.

Any take for rental returns and capital gains?

Thanks.

http://'ijmproperties.com/projectdetail.php?projectid=lagendatasek&&type=Residential#01
tahoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #28
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 6

ISKANDAR DEVELOPMENT REGION | Johor ( Southern Johor ) | General News & Updates

IRDA Is Sole Decision-making Authority Over Investments In IDR

KUALA LUMPUR, May 17 (Bernama) -- The Iskandar Regional Development Authority is the sole decision-making body on all issues pertaining to both domestic and foreign investments flowing into the region, Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said today.

"Be they local or foreign direct investments from all sources including Singapore, it is the IRDA which will have jurisdiction over issues pertaining to investments," he said.

Allaying concerns and some confusion that the proposed Malaysia-Singapore ministerial committee on Singapore's participation in IDR could lead to excessive focus on Singapore, he said the committee "is neither consultative nor has decision-making powers in its role."

On the contrary, the committee will be optimising the synergies of growth and investment in the region, he told Bernama when asked to respond to such concerns.

It would facilitate economic cooperation between the two countries in the development of the IDR, he added.

Despite such concerns, numerous quarters have welcomed the formation of such a committee as it augurs well for increased commercial linkages between Malaysia and the island republic.

The committee was announced after discussions between Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and his Singapore counterpart, Lee Hsien Loong, in Langkawi earlier this week.

Although informal, the cordial talks were fruitful and successful, setting the stage for taking bilateral ties, especially in economic cooperation and development, to a significantly higher plane.

Elaborating on Johor's and Singapore's synergies and potential complementarities, Ghani said: "By virtue of the location, the area encompassing both IRD and Singapore is a region of growth and investment.

"We (IRDA) are not going to give up jurisdiction of the region."

IRDA is the statutory body responsible for overseeing the development of the IDR, encompassing 2,217 sq km and covering five local authorities - Johor Baharu, Johor Baharu Tengah, Kulai, Pasir Gudang and Pontian.

With a population of 1.4 million, IDR is three times the size of Singapore and 48 times the size of Putrajaya.

IRDA's objective is to develop IDR into a strong and sustainable metropolis of international standing.

It will also establish national policies, directions and strategies for IDR, with studies showing that south Johor and its populace would immensely benefit from the IDR initiatives.

-- BERNAMA
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #29
pedang
One Malaysia

IDR MASTERPLAN

Danga Bay

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #30
forrestcat

Ekonomi
Pengangkutan multimodul di WPI

JOHOR BAHRU 19 Mei – Kerajaan negeri sedang merangka pelan induk untuk mewujudkan sistem pengangkutan multimodul di Wilayah Pembangunan Iskandar (WPI), kata Menteri Besar, Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman.

Beliau berkata, kerajaan negeri telah merumuskan sistem pengangkutan multimodul di WPI yang akan meliputi aliran transit ringan (LRT), bas, teksi, tren komuter dan trem.

Menurut beliau, pihaknya juga telah melantik jururunding sejak enam bulan lalu untuk melakukan kajian kesesuaian pengangkutan yang perlu di WPI.

‘‘Jururunding yang kita lantik adalah daripada syarikat tempatan kerana mereka begitu memahami keadaan di WPI dan memudahkan mereka untuk melakukan perancangan yang perlu.

‘‘Pada Selasa depan, saya akan menghadiri taklimat mengenai perkara ini (sistem pengangkutan multimodul),” katanya kepada pemberita di sini hari ini.

Sementara itu, Abdul Ghani memberitahu, menerusi peruntukan Rancangan Malaysia Kesembilan (RMK-9) sebanyak RM2 bilion, kerajaan negeri akan mempertingkatkan infrastruktur termasuk persimpangan-persimpangan bertingkat yang menghubungkan WPI.

Tambahnya, sebahagian besar pelaksanaan projek itu telah mula dijalankan termasuk pengeluaran tender projek di samping reka bentuk.

‘‘Tahun ini, kita akan mula mengeluarkan tender-tender untuk projek jalan pesisir pantai dari Johor Bahru ke Nusajaya (pusat pentadbiran kerajaan) selain melaksanakan projek meningkat keupayaan pihak berkuasa dari segi pengawasan dan keselamatan.

‘‘Selain itu, hampir RM1 bilion dari peruntukan berkenaan adalah untuk membersihkan sungai-sungai di WPI khususnya di Sungai Skudai, Sungai Tebrau dan Sungai Segget,” ujarnya.

Dalam pada itu, Abdul Ghani turut memaklumkan bahawa akan terdapat lebuh raya secara terus dari Pasir Gudang ke Pelabuhan Tanjung Pelepas (PTP) dalam usaha meningkatkan urusan pemunggahan kargo di kedua-dua kawasan pada tahun 2008.

Menurutnya, pada masa ini, terdapat kapal kontena yang agak sukar untuk memasuki perairan di Pasir Gudang dan dicadangkan supaya menggunakan kemudahan di PTP.

‘‘Saya harap, PTP boleh digunakan secara optimum bagi urusan kapal kontena dan pemunggahan kargo dalam usaha menjadikan negeri ini tumpuan utama bagi industri berkenaan,” katanya.

UTUSAN(20 May)
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #31
nazrey

Likes (Received): 2149

Chinese business circles keen on IDR
Updated : 25-05-2007
Media : The Star

JOHOR BARU: The Chinese business communities in Malaysia and Singapore are keen to explore opportunities in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR).

Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) president Tan Sri William Cheng said co-operation between the two governments would create a common market in the region.

Then it will be easy to make the IDR a success, he told a press conference here.

Cheng, who headed a delegation from ACCCIM, visited Sentosa island in Singapore before crossing over to Nusajaya and Danga Bay on the Malaysian side.

He was joined by a delegation from the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #32
pedang
One Malaysia

PM: IDR special committee to facilitate implementation

PUTRAJAYA: The special committee set up for the Iskandar Development Region is meant to facilitate the implementation of decisions by Malaysia and Singapore, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said.

Stressing that the committee was not taking on a consultative role, the Prime Minister explained that the committee would look at implementation issues of the decisions made by Malaysia, particularly Johor, and Singapore.

"It is to look into, among others, how to implement the smart card for travellers from Johor to Singapore and vice-versa so that people can travel easily and smoothly, without having to waste their time queuing up for hours," he said.

He said this in his opening remarks at the 2008 Budget Consultation Council which was held here Tuesday.

Abdullah said the committee would also be responsible for looking into joint tourism promotions, environmental matters and other issues which might crop up.

"(Singapore) Prime Minister Lee Hsein Loong and I cannot look into the details on how to implement all these, hence the setting up of the committee," he said.

Abdullah said Malaysia’s lead representative in the special committee was Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Effendi Norwawi.

He said Malaysia did not have any problem with Singapore’s intention to participate in IDR, especially when efforts were being made to encourage investors from across the globe to participate in the development.

“Why should we not welcome our neighbour’s participation. It has the means to participate, the money to invest and skills to ensure that investments made will be successful,” he said.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #33
pedang
One Malaysia

IDR policies will be consistent: Najib

From Shahriman Johari
ashahriman@nstp.com.my

May 30 2007

SINGAPORE: Malaysia has assured investors that it will maintain the consistency of its policies and will not flip-flop to make the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) a success.

"We are committed to seeing it succeed. We will not flip-flop," Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak told a media briefing here yesterday.

The IDR, an area almost three times the size of Singapore, is being promoted as a special economic zone in south Johor, and it is set to lure billions of ringgit in fresh investments.

Najib, together with Second Finance Minister Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop, Khazanah Nasional Bhd managing director Datuk Azman Mokhtar and other government officials, was on a one-day investment roadshow to promote Malaysia to foreign investors.

The event attracted massive interest from large fund managers like the US-based Fidelity, The Capital Group, mutual fund GMO, and even hedge funds like Tribeca.

The IDR was a favourite topic, according to those who were present at the meetings with the money managers.

"I gave assurances to them that the development of IDR is a concept that has the support of not just the Prime Minister, but one that has the support of the Cabinet," Najib said.

In March, Malaysia announced a package of incentives to attract investors to the IDR. One of the main sweeteners was exemption from complying with a rule under which Bumiputera investors must be given equity interest in foreign businesses, a common bugbear among foreign investors.

The investment roadshow comes after a high-level meeting between the leaders of Malaysia and Singapore earlier this month. Both countries agreed to set up a joint ministerial committee to study ways to cooperate and develop the IDR.

On Monday, the Malaysian delegation had dinner with heads of government-linked companies (GLCs) from Singapore.

"Obviously, we're looking for high levels of investments from Singapore. There's always been a spillover effect from Singapore into southern Johor," Najib said, adding that Singapore GLCs were looking for a long-term policy commitment.

Malaysia will also announce the amount of investments that have been committed for the IDR in the third and fourth quarters, Najib said.

"We have already secured these investments and they're quite a substantial amount," he added.

Investors also asked for an update on Malaysia's plan to reform GLCs, an indication that these state-owned companies have started to become more attractive.

The market value of Malaysia's top 20 GLCs has increased by RM106 billion since the programme started in May 2004, Najib said.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #34
pedang
One Malaysia

Smart Card For Easy Passage At Causeway

PUTRAJAYA, May 29 (Bernama) -- Malaysia and Singapore are looking into the possibility of introducing a smart card to facilitate travelling across the causeway linking Johor and Singapore.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the flow of people would increase once the southern Johor development corridor project gathered momentum.

He said that such a card would prevent people from being stuck in long queues.

"Everyone will need to show their smart card to enable them to cross into Singapore or Johor," he said at the annual Budget 2008 Consultation session here today.

Referring to his meeting with Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in Langkawi recently, Abdullah said the republic would like to participate in the southern Johor development project.

"We've no problem because we're encouraging investors from all over the world (to come). Why shouldn't we welcome our neighbour," he said, adding that investments from Singapore would go through the proper channels.

The Iskandar Development Region in southern Johor is a 2,217 sq km area that sprawls across several districts, including Johor Baharu, Kulai, Kota Tinggi and Pontian, and is just across the causeway from Singapore.

Abdullah said he and Lee also discussed ways to promote tourism.

-- BERNAMA
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM   #35
forrestcat

Can some of you guys give some comments on the IDR, coz from the government,they say it OK...but when u read public opinion..everyone seems pessimistic.

It trust the forumers here can give a more neutral view.
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #36
nazrey

One-month approval for IDR projects
Thursday June 7, 2007
TheStar

JOHOR BARU: Applications for development and investment projects in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) will be approved within a month.

Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said this was in line with the upgrading of the public delivery system through one-stop centres as discussed in the National Physical Planning Council chaired by the Prime Minister last month.

Under the new system, which would commence on June 13, Abdul Ghani said that a “simultaneous application mechanism” would be implemented.

“Applications for land approval, planning permit and building plans can be done simultaneously, and not consecutively as was the previous practice,” he added.

Besides projects in the IDR, development applications involving the build-then-sell concept, high-impact projects, foreign direct investment projects and government public projects would be processed within four months.

“Meanwhile, development based on the sell-then-build concept will take between four and six months,” Abdul Ghani said in a statement read out by State Secretary Datuk Abdul Latif Yusof.

Abdul Latif said at present applications took up to a year to be processed.

Each local authority in the state will have a one-stop centre, which will receive and direct the proposals from developers to the relevant authorities.

“The centres will also monitor and get feedback from the technical agencies, and deliver the decision (made on the applications) by the one-stop centre committee,” he said.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #37
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedang View Post

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #38
pedang
One Malaysia

Country View project to gain from IDR

By ZAZALI MUSA

JOHOR BARU: Country View Bhd sees the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) creating a chain of economic opportunities for many businesses, including property developers.

Marketing manager Andrew Tan said the opportunities would come from the multi-billion ringgit development activities expected to take place up to 2025.

Tan said the property market would benefit from the IDR with demand for residential and commercial properties in the area likely to go up in the next few years.

The IDR covers 2,217 sq km from Senai-Kulai in the north, Gelang Patah-Pontian in the south-west and Pasir Gudang-Tanjung Langsat in the south-east of the state.

Andrew Tan
“Nusajaya is the key element in the IDR and in fact, in the last nine years developers had already started projects within the development circle despite the uncertainty over whether the IDR would take off,” Tan told StarBiz recently.

Tan said the company was currently developing its Nusa Indah property project in Nusajaya, comprising some 1,000 units of double-storey terrace houses and double-storey shop houses on 120 acres.

“The take-up rate for the project is good, including from Singaporeans due to its close proximity to the second link crossing,” he said.

Tan said visitors going to the State New Administrative Centre in Nusajaya would have to pass through Nusa Indah via a new linkroad, adding that the on-going housing projects by more than 10 developers in the area would further boost demand for properties there.

The company will be launching its 12 high-end bungalow houses on two acres in Jalan Straits View by the end of the year.

He said the project, billed as the last piece of residential development located on a prime land in Johor Baru, is about 3 km from the city centre and the causeway.

Tan said the company was also looking at the possibility of buying land for industrial development as demand for industrial properties within the IDR was expected to grow.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #39
forrestcat

June 12, 2007 17:46 PM

Several Consortiums Eyeing Projects In IDR

PETALING JAYA, June 12 (Bernama) -- Several consortiums are currently negotiating with Khazanah Nasional to undertake projects in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) in southern Johor.

The negotiations are expected to take six months and the projects are set to start next year, Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) president Tan Sri William Cheng said today.

"Each consortium is likely to be given between 400 and 800 hectares to be developed," he told reporters at the Golden Bull Award 2007 roadshow here today.

Cheng said members of the consortiums included Malaysian tycoons and also groups from West Asia and Western countries.

ACCCIM is an umbrella organisation comprising more than 15 Chinese chambers of commerce.

The government via Khazanah has drawn up a comprehensive development plan for IDR, which is being planned as a metropolis of international standing.

Occupying 2,217 square kilometres of land, IDR is the single largest development project in the region.

Among the projects being planned for the IDR are the new state administrative centre for Johor, an EduCity which will be a hub for universities and industry-centric research and development clusters, colleges and international schools, a medical hub, a halal hub, a biofuel hub, a transport and trans-shipment hub, a creative and entertainment hub, a commercial, sports and recreational hub, an Islamic financial hub, a waterfront city and three cyber cities.

The total investment targeted for the IDR during its first five years was reported to be US$15 billion (US$1.00=RM3.40) and is expected to be around US$105 billion in 20 years.

Meanwhile, ACCCIM is one of the supporters of the annual Golden Bull Award which is intended to recognise the achievements of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) in Malaysia.

The award is categorised into two segments to recognise the 100 outstanding SMEs and top 20 emerging SMEs.

Nomination forms can be obtained from Nanyang Siang Pau at Tel: 03-78726888 or Expomal International Sdn Bhd at Tel: 03-80246500. The forms can also be downloaded at the Golden Bull Award website, www.goldenbullaward.com.

Deadline for the nomination forms is June 30, 2007.

-- BERNAMA
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #40
pedang
One Malaysia

Malaysian tycoons in talks to invest in Iskandar region

By Sharen Kaur
sharen@nstp.com.my

June 13 2007

A GROUP of local tycoons are in talks with Khazanah Nasional Bhd to develop a large piece of land in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR), a special economic zone in Johor.

Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry Malaysia (ACCCIM) president, Tan Sri Williem Cheng, said a consortium has been formed to negotiate the development plan for a proposed project.

According to Cheng, Khazanah will allocate some 405 to 810 hectares of landbank to the consortium.

The group will then decide on the project, which may comprise service apartments and houses, shopping centres, hospitals, universities, schools, and a logistics hub.

"It will take six months to finalise the development plan and we expect the project to kick off early next year," Cheng told reporters after attending the Golden Bull Award 2007 ceremony in Petaling Jaya yesterday.

The IDR, an area almost three times the size of Singapore, is being promoted as a special economic zone in south Johor, and set to attract billions of ringgit in fresh investments.

Cheng said a group of investors from the Middle East and a consortium from Europe had been recently invited by the Government to invest in the IDR.

"Khazanah has allocated up to 810 hectares of landbank to each group to develop a project. They are currently negotiating the development plan," Cheng said.

He said the two groups are planning to build properties in the education, medical and logistics centre of the IDR and are expected to commence work early next year.

Cheng said the local consortium could buy the land from the State Government, or it may buy it from the private sector or the IDR's main developer.

The ACCCIM is also encouraging investors from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and Singapore to participate in the development of the IDR.

Cheng said several groups of investors have expressed interest and may likely form a consortium soon to start negotiations with Khazanah.

Tags
johor bahru