daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #61
gunners

Likes (Received): 0

thats very true. it just doesnt make sense, all the other developments and reclads going on and this is getting left behind. although saying that. the area surrounding the building is enough to put anybody off of leasing it. its very dark and dingy and reminds me of a council estate with its very own drug dealers and chinese takeaway!

needs investment and needs it now not in 10 years
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM   #62
dom

Likes (Received): 7

I disagree. Paradoxically this is good news. First, the redesign was awful. Second, although this tower isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing it is a 1970s Seifert Tower.... which are quickly becoming a rare breed in London. With the demolition of Drapers Gardens and other Seifert buildings it is important to keep hold of some of our older buildings. The new design by Hamiltons, lets be honest, was hideous.
Third, and most importantly, this in effect means that 300,000 more Grade A office space is taken off the market for 2010/2011. I would prefer Heron, 122 Leadenhall, the London Bridge Tower and the Gem to be built instead of this design. So all in all, this is welcome news.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM   #63
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
First, the redesign was awful.
That's your opinion. Myself and others were looking forward to a lush blue reclad + taller height.

Quote:
Second, although this tower isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing
Drab, brown, and very dated... in a very prominent position on the skyline.

Quote:
it is a 1970s Seifert Tower.... which are quickly becoming a rare breed in London. With the demolition of Drapers Gardens and other Seifert buildings it is important to keep hold of some of our older buildings.
Centrepoint is grade 2 listed and won't be going anywhere soon. Tower 42 is a major skyscraper that would be difficult if not impossible to demolish. It will be here for decades, probably centuries. Drapers was a nice design but let's be honest, no major loss and it was too close to St Paul's anyway.

Quote:
The new design by Hamiltons, lets be honest, was hideous.
Perhaps you're thinking of the "stripey" version, which I agree was a little garish. However, they released another design some time after that, which was far better and less gaudy.

Quote:
Third, and most importantly, this in effect means that 300,000 more Grade A office space is taken off the market for 2010/2011. I would prefer Heron, 122 Leadenhall, the London Bridge Tower and the Gem to be built instead of this design. So all in all, this is welcome news.
Most of those towers are being built anyway - they're either spec builds, or have tenants lined up.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #64
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

The blue clad design was done by Make.

Hamiltons haven't released their design yet.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM   #65
dom

Likes (Received): 7

Most of those towers are being built anyway - they're either spec builds, or have tenants lined up -

No, in my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone here, I don't believe they will all be built. I'd like them to be, sure, but there is already an awful lot of development going on in the City and the pipeline looks considerable. Prepare yourself for at least another Minerva or two. There are no tenants lined up for 100 Bishopsgate, The Pinnacle, The Gem, Heron Tower, 20 Fenchurch Street or Riverside South. I would prefer any of these towers to be built over a distasteful refurb of a 1970s building that has architectural merit.

Granted, Heron Tower and 122 Leadenhall look as though they will be built, but losing King's Reach isn't a huge hammer blow.

As much as I like all the projects for the City, I'll believe them when I see their concrete cores and steel frames rising.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM   #66
gunners

Question

by the sounds of it hamiltons wont either! there web site isnt up and running yet is it?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #67
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 2

this might sound dumb... but what is the gem?
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #68
potto

Likes (Received): 2033

perhaps they envisage a time in 10 years after a mini cluster has emerged when they can build something even taller without a lengthy planning delay?
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #69
Jonny 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREAT_Britain View Post
this might sound dumb... but what is the gem?
The midrise next to London Bridge Tower.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #70
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Dom- Kings Reach is a different office market than the towers in the city so it has very little bearing, if any on projects in the city.

I quite liked the initial MAKE design- walked past there office the other week & could see it through the windows. Wasn't to keen on the 2nd draft with the overhanging crown. Still who know what for sure will be the next step. We should still see the new Hamiltons scheme at some point this year.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #71
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Granted, Heron Tower and 122 Leadenhall look as though they will be built, but losing King's Reach isn't a huge hammer blow.
Heron Tower, Leadenhall and Pinnacle are all spec build. They should all go ahead, infact shouldn't Leadenhall be starting in a couple of months? (When the base of the current tower is demolished?)
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #72
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 283

I must admit that Kings Reach is one of the last I would reclad...say like 10 years?...its really is not that bad and stands out in detail more than most all skyscrapers of its time....who would have thought that brown and beige would NOT be that an offensive sight on the skyline....and height!!!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #73
gunners

went into kings reach the otherday after the company i work for ipc moved out about 3 months ago. there half way down the tower and the low rise has been completely gutted.

i think this build will look so out of place when these towers that are either approved or in planning consent are built.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #74
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 202

Why is the Kings Reach Tower Redevelopment on hold?
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #75
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

Yes it's gone a bit quiet on this project. I don't know what is happening but a while back someone mentioned to me that there was a problem with where they wanted to put some piles as they interfered with the basment/carpark of the residential building next door. I dropped a woman off by there a couple of days ago and she said it was going to be apartments. This of course is just a bit of gossip.
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #76
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6440

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=56
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #77
london lad

Halabi has got Hamiltons to work up plans for the tower (they are also doing something similar on the Aviva Tower). It just further confirms IMO how he's more interested in holding onto sites & drawing up plans to increase there value rather than redevelopment them. The sooner he lets go of his 1/3 stake in the Shard the better.

The Kings Reach redevelopment , had it started on time would've been finished in time of very little supply in the Southbank area which is becoming an increasingly attractive area for businesses to relocate. GPE see this & have thus brought forward their 240 Blackfriars scheme by a year to start in early 2008.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #78
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3239

aviva had better be bloody listed.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #79
The Sage
I want my LBT

Seconded! I'm a big fan of that tower.
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #80
london lad

From an article on Southwark in PW.

Behind the Beetham Tower, Simon Halabi’s King’s Reach Tower has received planning permission to extend the building to 127 metres and refurbish 80,000 sq ft of office space. After media company IPC moved out of the tower last summer, talks of Halabi offloading his property on Blackfriars Road have been doing the rounds in the market

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: