daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #41
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 47

WOW!! The trains and the stations look very nice! Great job! I like everything except one thing, the language. I think they should at least put some english(or pingyin) station names inside the trains so foreigners or overseas Chinese can know where they're at.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #42
Hidden Dragon

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
WOW!! The trains and the stations look very nice! Great job! I like everything except one thing, the language. I think they should at least put some english(or pingyin) station names inside the trains so foreigners or overseas Chinese can know where they're at.
I think they have English under every Chinese station name. Also, they should have voice service to report the current and next station name in Chinese and English just like in Beijing subway.
Hidden Dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #43
zergcerebrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon
I think they have English under every Chinese station name. Also, they should have voice service to report the current and next station name in Chinese and English just like in Beijing subway.

I'm referring to this:

Old June 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #44
Clashman

Likes (Received): 15

Tianjin subway line one finally reopens...

...kind of.

I was walking by a nearby subway station this weekend when I saw a bunch of people handing out flyers and whatnot. I figured I'd go and check it out. Turns out that when I asked before and people said it would be opening on the 12th, they were right. The people handing out flyers were handing out little information brochures and letting people know that it the subway would be opening this Monday.

So I came back today and decided to check it out. It turns out that they were only opening it today for partial service, running from about 9 am to 4pm. I think they deliberately wanted to keep this kind of low key as I think they had some kinks to work out of the system yet. That's why you don't see many people on the trains in these pictures, I don't think anyone really knew about it.

For those of you not in the know, Tianjin's subway was actually the second one built in China, after Beijing's. It was shut down in 2001 and was basically completely rebuilt and extended, finally reopening today. Here is a map of the system:

http://www.johomaps.com/as/china/tia...njinmetro.html

Here is a map of the future system:

And here's also some information about the system and the planned completion dates:
http://tianjin.sina.com.cn/system/20...00027254.shtml
Line #-----------Length (km)---Stations------Cost (yuan)-----------Est Start Date-------Est Finish Date

No. 1------------26.2----------22------------7.87 billion------------2002-------------------2005
(Yeah, so this one is a little bit behind. It is opening this month!)
No. 2------------22.7----------19------------9.98 billion------------2004-------------------2007
No. 3------------28.4----------23------------10.99 billion-----------2004------------------2007
No. 4------------30.5----------23------------12 billion--------------2017------------------2020
No. 5------------35.5----------25------------12 billion--------------2009------------------2012
No. 6------------28.6----------23------------11 billion--------------2009-2012
No. 7------------24.2----------20------------8.5 billion-------------2013-------------------2016
No. 8------------23.7----------13------------8.5 billion-------------2013-------------------2016
No. 9*-----------14.9*--------12------------3.1 billion*------------2003-------------------2006
Total------------234.7---------180-----------84.01 billion yuan (About 10.49 billion dollars)

* The number 9 line is also known as the Binhai Light Rail, which goes out to the Tanggu and TEDA areas of Tianjin. It is most certainly longer than 14 kilometers, and according to urban rail is actually closer to 50. By the "Number 9 line" they must mean from Zhongshanmen or Xinlizhen to the Hai river, or basically the area of the line that falls within the city proper. I'm not 100% sure. This line is actually already in operation, although probably not so much within the city limits.

All that said, here are my general impressions:

Pros:
Extremely quiet and smooth ride. I've ridden subways in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, Beijing, Shanghai, as well as the elevated train here in Tianjin that heads out to Tanggu, and probably a few others on top of that; and I'd say the ride here was as good if not better than anything put forth by any of those systems. The only thing it was lacking was the nice commuter train style seats from the lightrail to Tanggu.
Stations were clean and nice looking. No real fancy extras or anything, but you could tell that this will be good and functional for some time. Having seats for people to sit on while they waited for the train was also a bonus. I also liked the glass doors to the trains, which should make sure that no one falls/gets pushed into the tracks.
Ticket buying system. Very advanced. You use a touchscreen in either English or Chinese to select the station you are going to. Feed your money in, and out pops a token with an electronic chip in it and your change. You flash the electronic chip by the gates to get into the station and drop it into a slot in the exit gates to get out. You can also use the new electronic bus card people they recently began using in Tianjin and just flash that into a separate terminal, and off you go. Edit: Upon riding it a few more times, it appears that about half of the stations have wheelchair access, which I guess is better than nothing. I don't retract the previous statement, but I would like to temper it a bit.

Cons:
Glitches: There were still a few things not quite working right yet, which is probably why they didn't aim to draw a big crowd on their first day. One or two ticket machines and escalators weren't working properly. The lights flickered on and off 2 or 3 times on the train. Some of the stations looked like they were still doing last minute construction work. Hopefully these will get better soon enough.
Photo: Ok, it wasn't that bad, but they weren't letting people take photos of the platforms and whatnot. Probably because of some of the glitches taking place. That didn't really stop me anyways, though. I would just take one or 2 pics at each station and then pretend no one had said anything before when they stopped me. However, I used my PDA to take some of those pictures, and it takes horrible indoor shots, which is why there aren't many of them shown here, (that, and for some reason photobucket won't let me upload them).
Wheelchair Access: Ok, this was the only one that really kind of ticked me off. Hardly any of the stations had elevators. If you look in one of the pics down there you can see part of a guy waiting for someone to come and help him, because there isn't even a ramp to get into the station. I know that most Asian subways don't include that, but I was hoping that since they had done a complete rebuild of the system that they'd have the forsight to add those in to all the stations. And the stations, (at least the above ground ones), are huge. You'd think they could add that in. I mean, it is the 21st century here, after all.

Other than that last problem I had, it was a pretty good ride. I look forward to us getting a few more of these. Anyway, now is time for some pictures:

Some TOD happening near the Yinkou Dao station. Nearly every station I've seen has a cluster or two of 20+ story apartment buidlings going up next to the station.:

Last edited by Clashman; June 25th, 2006 at 04:31 AM.
Clashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #45
SOLOMON
North America USA-Canada

Likes (Received): 672

cool....
SOLOMON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #46
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashman
For those of you not in the know, Tianjin's subway was actually the second one built in China, after Beijing's. It was shut down in 2001 and was basically completely rebuilt and extended, finally reopening today. Here is a map of the system:
The old one ...

... and here you can see other photos of today's Tianjin Metro (not taken by me):

http://www.ourmetro.org/cgi-bin/topi...ic=1335&show=0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| EXHIBITION HONG KONG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gakei; June 12th, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #47
Clashman

I walked by the station again today and it looks like they are still only running trial periods, say from 9:00am to 4:00pm. I wonder when they are gonna go full bore on this one.
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #48
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Tianjin Metro

The Train

Inside Train Compartment

On the platform with the "platform gate doors"

Automatic ticketing machine

[ MORE ... ]

| EXHIBITION HONG KONG

Highcliff liked this post
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #49
raymond_tung88

Tianjin recently re-opened their subway after renovations right? Are the pictures above from a newly constructed line or the renovated one? Also, could someone post a map of the existing subway network and another with the planned lines?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #50
Clashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond_tung88
Tianjin recently re-opened their subway after renovations right? Are the pictures above from a newly constructed line or the renovated one? Also, could someone post a map of the existing subway network and another with the planned lines?
I've already got you covered there:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=361420
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #51
zergcerebrates

The train is nice, so is the color scheme
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #52
Fusionist
unBANNED

looks cool

how do thay manage the electronic display in the stations and inside train considering the fact that Chinese characters are complex and no normal 5 or 8 row display won't do much good ?
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #53
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist
looks cool

how do thay manage the electronic display in the stations and inside train considering the fact that Chinese characters are complex and no normal 5 or 8 row display won't do much good ?
In HK a Chinese character is normally displayed using 16x16 pixels.

An example:

Don't know if there is a difference for the Mainland of China.

| EXHIBITION HONG KONG

Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:23 AM   #54
BJSH

Likes (Received): 0

nice pics.
BJSH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #55
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

TIANJIN | Rail Tram

http://www.gakei.com/tsn/tsnt.htm

| EXHIBITION HONG KONG

geometarkv, Highcliff, n20 liked this post
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #56
Mr.JACOB

Nice but i heard that the one rail trams are realy shity. There is such a tram in nancy france. My friend who lives there sad that they have to be very slow other vise they jump out of the track
Mr.JACOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #57
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JACOB View Post
Nice but i heard that the one rail trams are realy shity. There is such a tram in nancy france. My friend who lives there sad that they have to be very slow other vise they jump out of the track
Nancy has Bombardier's Guided LIght Transport system:

There were several derailments when the system in Nancy first started operation. The system seems to be more reliable now though there are segments along which the speed is severely restricted. A similar system in Caen has not expereinced these problems.

Tianjin has the Translohr system, which uses a different configuraiton for the guide rail:

Other Translohr lines are being built Clermont-Ferrand in France and Padua, L'Aquila, and Mestre-Venise in Italy. The first systems are just opening and there are reports of teething problems.

The major advantages claimed for both the Bombardier and Translohr systems are that they are cheaper to build and can climb steeper grades than traditional trams.

For more information, see the following links:

Bombardier Guided Light Transport
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?.../1_2_2_2_1.jsp
http://world.nycsubway.org/eu/fr/nancycaen.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard..._Light_Transit

Translohr
http://www.lohr.fr/transport-public_gb.htm
http://www.mitsui-tr.co.jp/english/goods/translohr.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translohr
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #58
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 506

F°°°ing Translohr, we're having lots of problems with it here in Padua, and also many other dumb towns have chosen it instead of a damn traditional tramway system.

Many accidents, we're still running with restricted service and we can count a really bad crash. A piece of stone has dazzled the stupid monorail, the last car has derailed and it has crashed against a traffic light pole.
A man seriously injured... and many thanks to the pole, without it the TL would have jumped upon the pedestrian walk, crushing them against the wall.

It needs a lot of manteinance and cleaning on the line, not just to work well, but to not derail!

Those idiotic politicians who chose this crap instead of a damn standard tramway should pay on their own to replace it with a decent and safe system... this thing should be banned from this Earth

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #59
cal_t
Transport Advocate

LOL blame the tyre companies. They're the ones who advocate GLT
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #60
Augusto

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
F°°°ing Translohr, we're having lots of problems with it here in Padua, and also many other dumb towns have chosen it instead of a damn traditional tramway system.
[..]
Those idiotic politicians who chose this crap instead of a damn standard tramway should pay on their own to replace it with a decent and safe system... this thing should be banned from this Earth

Here in Paris they are supposed to use those "tram" for the future extensions. They plan to build at least 3 new routes (Epinay-Villetaneuse, Chatillon-Vélizy and Boulogne-Meudon). I hope the problems there are in Padua, Nancy and Caen will help us to not make this stupid choice.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, tianjin, tram