daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #21
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
I dunno I'm thinking pretty wild here but maybe just maybe the fact Hamilton has "affordable houses, good transit and commuter service, safe, and an urban chic mixed with a small town soul you will not find anywhere else near Toronto" is because it's not a suburb of Toronto? Call me crazy!
Read my sig. Those are your words, not mine

But yes, while we could argue whether it is its own independent city or a suburb (which we have already), there are suburbs of Toronto that do have similar designs of old 19th/20th century downtowns with mcmansion and box store outskirts. Oshawa, Brampton, Newmarket, Mississauga (Port Credit/Streetsville), etc. all have similar infrastructure designs as Hamilton does.

Also, if there is a reason why people have poor opinions of Hamilton it is cause all they see of it is from the QEW on their way to Niagara, which goes through the industrial outskirts of the city. If they took the 403 in, they'd have a much different opinion of it.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #22
TheCanadianEuro

Likes (Received): 2

Fantastic!! When I visited last summer I absoloutely loved the grit, architecture, street, grid, density, people, the mountain but not so much the skyline..
TheCanadianEuro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #23
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

wow, those streetscapes look different from Toronto, in a good way...it's almost like being in another country...maybe Hamilton will be my next stop after my northern exposure in Grand Sudbury...

and i see that there are a lot of asians too...lovely...
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #24
skyscrapers17

Likes (Received): 0

Hamilton has a truly good density even through there was not much of newer developments lately.
skyscrapers17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #25
xtraxxl

Likes (Received): 50

I really like Dundas & Ancaster, but downtown Hamilton is quite sketchy, especially along Barton and on the other side of downtown. No offense.

rychlik liked this post
xtraxxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #26
xtraxxl

Likes (Received): 50

I'm not very familiar with Hamilton's history, but judging from the amount of skyscrapers and the age of them, it seems like Hamilton had enjoyed some glorious growths a few decades ago.

It's a good thing that the Hammer is in transition from a steel based industrial city to a high tech and service industry based city led by McMaster & the Hamilton Health Sciences. Hamilton is in a great location, very strategic to the golden horseshoe. It also has very beautiful sceneries from waterfalls to valleys. Hopefully the transition will go smooth and fast and the government can start building the LRT lines & renovate some of the buildings and streets in downtown and attract more capital investments and professional/management class families.
xtraxxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM   #27
miss_elizabeth

Likes (Received): 0

I have to say that I like parts of Hamilton since moving here in 1994. The city reminds me of what Toronto was like in the 70s.

With that said there are parts of Hamilton that I can do without (like the nauseating stench of cigarette smoke in the Gore park/downtown area) and the run down areas that just creep me out but for the most part it is a pretty nice place to live (even if I do plan to move to Burlington or back to Stratford sometime in the future).
miss_elizabeth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #28
MegaCity416
LakeshoreWest

Likes (Received): 8

Personally I love Hamilton and I think it's "bad" reputation isn't fully deserved. Impressive and very flattering photos of Hamilton flar!
MegaCity416 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #29
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

NO! Other than the Steel Mills, most of the city is nice and Hamilton certainly doesn't deserve its negative reputation. I know this, because I experienced my first true weekend in Hamilton in February and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #30
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Which waterfall is that in pic 25?
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #31
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani01 View Post
Which waterfall is that in pic 25?
I believe those are the Tew's Falls.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #32
CoronaYEG
ssc noob :D

Likes (Received): 23

As soon as people start to take interest in Hamilton and people realize that it's more than a whole bunch of steel mills, hopefully there will be more new condos going up. Love the early 1900s buildings and the parks.
CoronaYEG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:52 AM   #33
Skyline Myline
Altitude Attitude

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaYEG View Post
As soon as people start to take interest in Hamilton and people realize that it's more than a whole bunch of steel mills, hopefully there will be more new condos going up. Love the early 1900s buildings and the parks.
What a beautiful city blending the old with the new, never seen pics of Hamilton ONT before. I guess you could call me a virgin looker of Hamilton. It looks like a great size not too big but not too small. What is population? 500,000? My Home town is an ex steel and shipbuilding City, at one stage had 3-4 blast furnaces and built good size ships. All gone now to Korea etc. Newcastle in state of New South Wales, Australia. Don't lose your steel making capacity, it also, believe it or not gives the city a good vibe, another dimension. Would be empty without.it. Newcastle is virtually now an outer suburb of Sydney, about 160km North (100 miles ) even has a major suburb called Hamilton. Newcastle is definitely not as pretty as Hamilton. You really have a gem there and it appears a few people do not realise. Admire it and be proud of it. Hamilton is a very picturesque City with all its facets and people,. an industrial city to boot.. Oh and all the people look a very handsome race esp. The ladies. Love Hamilton ONT. Skyline looks very photogenic blending old with new. Those older scrapers are good on the eyes.
All the best from downunder

Last edited by Skyline Myline; February 1st, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Skyline Myline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #34
PlanetMan

Likes (Received): 1

Wow, great pics!
PlanetMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote