search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2017, 01:45 AM   #11961
log0008

Likes (Received): 422

Will be interesting to see the extent of code sharing between HX and VA. Looking at HX schedules some of the best connections (based on timing) for China include PVG, PEK, CTU, SYX, HGH, HAK, TSN and KWE (not all available each day). Outside of China there are also good connection times for TPE, ICN, NRT, KIX and BKK.

I don't expect code sharing but also some interesting options - especially for Japan outside of KIX and NRT with HK Express for those willing to connect with an LCC.

BITRE DOMESTIC TRAFFIC FULL YEAR:2016

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/on...vity_2016a.pdf

Melbourne Airport:
Passengers:

2015: 24,022,100
2016: 24,779,500
+3.2%
20.9% (share of Domestic network)

Cargo:
99,700 tonnes
123,700 tonnes
+24.0%
28.4% Share of Domestic freight network)

Monitored routes:

Very positive year achieving more than 3% annual growth for the first time since 2012. All major connections apart from Perth (-3.1%) saw Year on Year growth, lead by the Sunshine Coast (8.8%), Gold Coast (8.5%), Darwin (+7.7%) and Cairns (6.9%). Total passenger growth got most of its kick from a 3.4% increase in Sydney - Melbourne traffic - representing 1/3 of total passenger growth at Melbourne.

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JQ1 liked this post

Last edited by log0008; March 21st, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
log0008 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:16 AM   #11962
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ1 View Post
Pop the champagne!!!!!
Would you like a glass?
Are you really from Perth/NZ? That really wasn't necessary TBH.

Anyways, congratulations Melbourne & VA.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:18 AM   #11963
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Likes (Received): 882

Apparently under the Alliance with HNA Group, VA will also co-operate with other HNA Group airlines that fly out of MEL; Hainan Airlines, Beijing Capital Airlines and Tianjin Airlines. Could MEL become like a mini Hub for the HNA Group in Australia?
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:44 AM   #11964
log0008

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorox View Post
Apparently under the Alliance with HNA Group, VA will also co-operate with other HNA Group airlines that fly out of MEL; Hainan Airlines, Beijing Capital Airlines and Tianjin Airlines. Could MEL become like a mini Hub for the HNA Group in Australia?
Would defiantly make sence to co-operate/code share/interline, although not total sure I would call it a hub, HU also serve XIY and CSX from SYD and Capital has applied for PEK-TAO-SYD.

Also I believe some of VA's flights could provide for connections with VS to/from LHR, I wonder if they will code share too? Might get some traffic from Velocity card holders.

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 21st, 2017, 04:45 AM   #11965
Sunbus617
CAMCOS User

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by log0008 View Post
Very exciting Finally hey?!

Sure Is a confusing scheduled, on 3 days per week an A330 will be sitting in HKG from 8:15to 19:50.

VA89 and the return flights are excellent for connections with Hong Kong Airlines
VA87 will get some connections but not so many.

Oh an another morning arrival (and departure on some days) for MEL to find space for!
Congratulations to MEL and VA.

Although have to get in with one opinion.

For the three days the VA A330 will be sitting in HKG for the entire day, surely they could've apply for 5th freedom flights to one of the nearby (high yielding) cities rather than sit the a/c all day in HKG.

log0008 liked this post
Sunbus617 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 04:48 AM   #11966
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 2753

ICN could've been a good option
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:54 AM   #11967
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

I'm thinking that it's more of a slots issue, that's why we have 3 different departure times. Once HKG is more established, VA could possibly negotiate for better slots and potentially up to a more competitive daily service.

With all these new international flights coming online, maybe it's time for VA's own international lounge? The old EK space or the old UA space could be candidates.
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:56 AM   #11968
JQ1

Likes (Received): 99

Melbourne Airport press release

And the winner is...Melbourne!
Mar 21, 2017

Victoria’s travelling public is the real winner in today’s announcement that Virgin Australia will commence flights between Melbourne and Hong Kong. Melbourne Airport’s Chief of Aviation, Simon Gandy, said the announcement marked a new milestone in an important year for Australia-China tourism.
“This is wonderful news for Virgin Australia. We’re really pleased with the confidence the airline has shown, both in our destination and in our close working relationship, which has turned this opportunity into reality.
“Virgin Australia deserves a lot of credit for investing in this new Melbourne-Hong Kong route.
“As Melbourne Airport’s continued growth in international passengers has shown, our city is a destination that’s high on the priority list for millions of international travellers visiting for business, leisure, education and renewing family ties.
“As Australia’s fastest-growing capital city, Melbourne represents an incredibly sound, long-term investment market for international airlines.
“Hong Kong is undoubtedly a significant market for the Australian tourism industry, both in terms of a growing number of inbound travellers and as a destination for globe-trotting Australians. It’s also a great hub for connecting to onward services into mainland China and North Asia more broadly.
“The great news is there’s now even more choice for Victorian travellers heading to Hong Kong, but also the opportunity to experience the Virgin Australia product on this route for the first time.”

http://melbourneairport.com.au/news-...melbourne.html

judd77 liked this post
JQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:36 AM   #11969
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 527

“As Australia’s fastest-growing capital city, Melbourne represents an incredibly sound, long-term investment market for international airlines, however we remain committed to refusing to expand our terminal facilities and associated transport infrastructure for reasons only known to us."

KJBrissy, log0008, EK413, jarden, michael_n_ and 2 others liked this post
Qantas743 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:38 AM   #11970
KJBrissy

And the longer they leave it, the more disruptive it will be.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”

Ducko liked this post
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:03 PM   #11971
brianc68

Likes (Received): 223

While extra choice is good, I don't really get Virgin's strategy. To pick a destination like Kong Kong that is already well serviced from every Australian capital is "bold" to say the least. I get they're going to leverage HNA for connections into China but still... If they think they're going to get people from other Australian cities to hub through Melbourne to go to Hong Kong they'll be sadly dissapointed. All the other cities have direct flights with Cathay and Qantas. And Qantas and Cathay already have flights into major Chinese cities themselves or code share.

I think VA just pick tough battles. Why not try a route that isn't already served like Melbourne - Seoul or Sydney - Osaka.

KJBrissy, michael_n_ liked this post
brianc68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:14 PM   #11972
jarden

Likes (Received): 620

Yes I agree with those 2, they need to look at unserved markets. They could have done Canberra to Hong Kong even but only 2 per week to begin with. There is a lot of daily seats already between MEL and HKG. CX and QF will undercut them to force them out.

KJBrissy, Ducko, michael_n_, brianc68 liked this post
jarden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:28 PM   #11973
KJBrissy

I guess they're relying heavily on their interline services and FF members.

Agree it seems risky.

brianc68 liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:26 AM   #11974
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc68 View Post
While extra choice is good, I don't really get Virgin's strategy. To pick a destination like Kong Kong that is already well serviced from every Australian capital is "bold" to say the least. I get they're going to leverage HNA for connections into China but still... If they think they're going to get people from other Australian cities to hub through Melbourne to go to Hong Kong they'll be sadly dissapointed. All the other cities have direct flights with Cathay and Qantas. And Qantas and Cathay already have flights into major Chinese cities themselves or code share.

I think VA just pick tough battles. Why not try a route that isn't already served like Melbourne - Seoul or Sydney - Osaka.
Agree.

Brisbane - San Francisco and Melbourne - San Francisco.

I suppose it may be where the market is at the moment but overkill.

brianc68 liked this post

Last edited by michael_n_; March 22nd, 2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Bad Grammar
michael_n_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:32 AM   #11975
log0008

BITRE - Domestic Aviation Statistics for January 2017
Melbourne starts 2017 with a bang!

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/on...20Jan_2017.pdf

January delivered epic growth for Melbourne on the domestic market. Melbourne saw a 4.2% Jan 17 vs Jan 16 increase in domestic passengers, well above Sydney (1.6%) and Brisbane (2.3%)

Growth was lead by 20%+ growth from Newcastle and the Sunshine Coast. Extra capacity thanks to Tiger launched Canberra up 12% and Hobart grew at 9%. Importantly NO major markets monitored by BITRE from Melbourne declined, including 1.7% growth from Perth, on the back of December, this is the first time in 20 months Perth has seen 2 months of growth. The big increase vs Sydney enabled Melbourne to come within 1.5% of the market share for the first time (21.5% vs 22.8%)

Domestic Cargo in Melbourne continued to grow strongly at 15.0% well ahead of SYD, BNE, PER and ADL.

Load Factors also increased on many routes - Topped by Cairns at 87.2%,

Eagerly awaiting International results which should see massive increases based on airport released results.

Last edited by log0008; March 22nd, 2017 at 03:37 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:03 AM   #11976
Ducko

Likes (Received): 92

^ YOY means year over year, so Melbourne's YOY was 3.2% not 4.2%.
The 4.2% is month of Jan 17 compared to Jan 16.

log0008 liked this post
Ducko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:36 AM   #11977
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

VA's new MEL-HKG service is now bookable! Special launch fares from $759 return!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:16 AM   #11978
moz999

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorox View Post
VA's new MEL-HKG service is now bookable! Special launch fares from $759 return!
Just wait for the next Qantas $599 sale (like yesterday)

Flying Blind liked this post
moz999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:00 AM   #11979
L2
Next stop lysaghts

Likes (Received): 252

No codeshare with Virgin Atlantic for their HKG - LHR flights which were cut back from starting in Sydney a couple of years back? Disappointing.

The timing actually works too coming east (but not going west), about 2hrs 45 mins at Hong Kong to connect. But pointless if you can't book a through ticket.

As to the connections to mainland China, wow. Just what everybody in Melb has been crying out for.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:07 AM   #11980
log0008

We now have official delivery dates for QF's first 4 787's (subject to change)

LN 615: 12/10/17
LN 641: 1/12/17
LN 655: 31/12/17
LN 669: 22/2/18

QF will as expected have 2 787's when MEL-LAX commences and 4 when MEL-PER-LHR commences. Expect to see them on domestic flights right up until then.

Flying Blind liked this post