daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #1461
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
Centenary Square in Birmingham giving St Peter's Square in Manchester a run for it's money, it looks sublime.
Pretty standard office park imo. That little temple is cool though.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #1462
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Pretty standard office park imo. That little temple is cool though.
Before you 'put your foot in it' completely.

That "little temple", as you put it, is in fact the Hall of Memory, and is there to remember the dead from two World Wars.

Will forgive you for that, and Centenary Square will be quite splendid when the square itself and all of the developments are competed around it in a couple of years time. A Happy New Year to you.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #1463
Sandblast

Happy New Year from Birmingham

(Tony flickr)

Over the next year or two the image above should look a little different with the addition of the buildings below.

With the Commonwealth Games in 2022 and the arrival of the new high speed rail terminus in 2026 in the city centre, the next few years are going to be very busy!

Dichtefan, AbidM, MarkO, Bylina, aqeembayor liked this post
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:55 AM   #1464
blueboy

Likes (Received): 28

Looking at our skyline only reiterates how much a couple of 150 to 200m towers would enhance it. The density is already there but it severely needs some landmark talls standing proud.
The current crop of developments, while welcome aren't quite tall enough to do this, still I don't think it'll be too long before they start to come taller

aqeembayor liked this post
blueboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 01:45 PM   #1465
Mr.D00p

Likes (Received): 53

The fact that the supposed 2nd city of the UK still hasn't got a 150m+ office or residential tower by now is quite ridiculous and telling of the 2nd rate ambition of the developers active in Birmingham.
Mr.D00p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:34 PM   #1466
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D00p View Post
The fact that the supposed 2nd city of the UK still hasn't got a 150m+ office or residential tower by now is quite ridiculous and telling of the 2nd rate ambition of the developers active in Birmingham.
That aside, there is a phenomenal amount of development going on in the city at the moment, a lot of it putting right the mistakes by planners in the 1950's & 60's. The city will be unrecognisable in 10 years time.

A couple of really tall buildings will be nice, and I'm sure with the arrival of the new High Speed Train terminus in the city centre, and one 10 miles away on the outskirts of the city by 2026, will accelerate Birmingham's renaissance. The Commonwealth Games in 2022 won't do any harm either.

Old January 1st, 2018, 12:13 PM   #1467
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D00p View Post
Birmingham had a lot of issues in terms of layout from post war developments that are mostly being tackled now, this is where the investment in Birmingham is showing and having more of an impact than a regional skyscraper ever could, this is something thankfully most cities in the UK don't have to address to such as large an extent. When you are in Birmingham it definitely feels like a large city.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 04:34 PM   #1468
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 220

Happy new year to all, here's to a great and prosperous 2018, i'm still at my parents for xmas but I cannot wait to get back to beautiful brum and start posting pictures again

aqeembayor, Sandblast liked this post
Laurence2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:59 AM   #1469
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Birmingham had a lot of issues in terms of layout from post war developments that are mostly being tackled now, this is where the investment in Birmingham is showing and having more of an impact than a regional skyscraper ever could, this is something thankfully most cities in the UK don't have to address to such as large an extent. When you are in Birmingham it definitely feels like a large city.
REGENERATION

The scale of the redevelopment of Birmingham due to war time damage & bad planning after the war was a massive undertaking and started more than 25 years ago. The city is half way through a huge transformation period, which Brummies always knew would take a couple of generations to get the city back where it should be.

However, there is still enough left of Birmingham, along with the 'new' to make it extremely interesting, vibrant, unique and, in parts, quite beautiful.

(Ross Jukes)

(Ross Jukes)

(Ross Jukes)

(Ross Jukes)

(Ross Jukes)

.... but still a vibrant, bustling city too.

Here's to 2018!

Last edited by Sandblast; January 3rd, 2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:01 PM   #1470
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Great photos, thanks, but a lot of it has little context for me as I don't yet know this city. Could you add a short name under each photo of what the main subject is?

I especially am interested in what the building with the domes on the roof is.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:08 PM   #1471
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10056

It's the University of Birmingham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Birmingham
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:10 PM   #1472
Bligh

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
When you are in Birmingham it definitely feels like a large city.
Of course, everyone's entitled to an opinion... but I definitely feel that Manchester feels and looks like a bigger City than Birmingham.

My fiance and her family are from Birmingham and I visit a lot. From my humble experiences in Bham over the last 5 years I feel like Birmingham doesn't know what to do with itself. It doesn't help that your City Government has an awful reputation.

I need to look into this topic more, but I strongly feel like Manchester is a big city with a clear goal with a destination.. and Birmingham just doesn't have that right now. The Commonwealth Games should help a little.

I don't mean to offend because I love this City. But I really don't feel like it's the 2nd City anymore... it's becoming more and more obvious to me. The sooner Birmingham City realizes this surely it will spark more action.. right?
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:29 PM   #1473
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Great photos, thanks, but a lot of it has little context for me as I don't yet know this city. Could you add a short name under each photo of what the main subject is?

I especially am interested in what the building with the domes on the roof is.

The photos by Ross Jukes above are of the following:

Three Snowhill

Victoria Square

Grand Hotel Birmingham - Colmore Row

Gas Street Basin

Bullring

University of Birmingham

55 Colmore Row

Brindleyplace

Birmingham Cathedral

Cannon Street (off New Street)

The Mailbox - Suffolk Street Queenway

Sandblast, Justme liked this post
ellbrown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:09 PM   #1474
blueboy

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Of course, everyone's entitled to an opinion... but I definitely feel that Manchester feels and looks like a bigger City than Birmingham.

My fiance and her family are from Birmingham and I visit a lot. From my humble experiences in Bham over the last 5 years I feel like Birmingham doesn't know what to do with itself. It doesn't help that your City Government has an awful reputation.

I need to look into this topic more, but I strongly feel like Manchester is a big city with a clear goal with a destination.. and Birmingham just doesn't have that right now. The Commonwealth Games should help a little.

I don't mean to offend because I love this City. But I really don't feel like it's the 2nd City anymore... it's becoming more and more obvious to me. The sooner Birmingham City realizes this surely it will spark more action.. right?
I don't disagree with nearly all you've said there but I still think currently Birmingham feels like a bigger city, and in many respects it is. However Manchester markets itself much better, it has 2 top football teams that no doubt help with that, it has a brand almost.
Birmingham has nothing but years of ridicule, we are the place everyone loves to knock, most out of pure ignorance so we are constantly fighting against that but I think things are changing here.
We have a young population, there is massive investment in the city center (OK, so we aren't quite getting the talls that Manchester is yet) we will have hs2 10 years before Manchester and we have the commonwealth games before that. It's up to us to show a little but of bravado now.

Bligh liked this post
blueboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:41 PM   #1475
Sandblast

The only thing way can clearly measure "Second City Status" is by population, and not the metropolitan urban areas as a whole.

For people not familiar with city populations in the UK, the City of Birmingham has a population of almost 1,150,000. The City of Manchester has a population slightly less than half that of Birmingham, of just over 500,000. In fact, the City of Manchester, in population terms is less than Leeds, Glasgow & Sheffield.

However, the metropolitan areas of both Birmingham & Manchester are very similar with around 2.8 million people. But what differentiates Birmingham from Manchester in these metropolitan districts is that Birmingham, in population terms, is far bigger than it's surrounding towns & cities (there are 7 of them). The Manchester Metropolitan area contains 10 towns & cities to get to a population similar to 'Greater Birmingham' (West Midlands).

A minor point, that I'm sure our great friends in Manchester would argue. Both fantastic cities, both important commercial centres that need more help to compete with London on a global scale, which completely eclipses all UK cities on every level.

The West Midlands region, with Birmingham at it's centre, has a population of 5.5 million people, and contributes more than a quarter of all manufactured exports from the UK. Birmingham also is a big banking centre, was the birthplace of Lloyds Bank and also the Midland Bank (HSBC) and home to Deutsche Bank in the English regions, and soon home to the new HSBC commercial & personal banking headquarters, a huge coup for the city, and the Bank of England is considering moving out of London to the city.

On top of that, Birmingham is the second most important city for shopping in England after London's West End, the Bullring / Grand Central shopping centre attracts more than 42 million shoppers a year. Birmingham's New Street railway station is the busiest station outside of London with 43 million people passing through it every year. Birmingham is home to Britain's busiest exhibition centre, the 9th busiest in Europe, and a state of the art Convention Centre, home to one of the World's finest concert halls, Symphony Hall. With more live theatre outside of London's West End, the largest pre-Raphaelite art collection in the World, Europe's largest public library ....... how do we measure a Second City?!?

Symphony Hall

Bullring

New Street Station

Brindleyplace/ Deutsche Bank

International Convention Centre

Museum & Art Gallery

National Exhibition Centre

Library of Birmingham

WarwickDan, Conurbation 2 liked this post

Last edited by Sandblast; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:32 PM   #1476
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 637

People are just going to throw facts around that represent their city in a better light. Your not going to say how Manchester Airport handles 27 million passengers a year vs Birmingham Airport at 12 million. Manchester's much larger metro handling 40 million people a year against only 7 million for Midland Metro. The countless skyscrapers going up and planned for Man towards the little ambition for Brum.

In all fairness though I don't think it's down to the airports, or train stations or the stupid facts and silly numbers that get thrown around. If that's the case B'ham should be the capital with it's 1.2 million population. As you mentioned The City Of Manchester only has 550k, but The City Of London only has 10k.

People can clearly see what cities are doing better than others with all the updates on the forum. When visiting certain cities you can feel the real buzz in the atmosphere. People also have different opinions, some may hate Man but love B'ham and visa versa.

There are many cites around the world that are more well known than the capitals like New York for example. A certain city can be doing better at times than others and go back and forth. Does it really matter?

A second city isn't even a real title. B'ham get's classed as the Third City and there is anger and upset from locals. B'ham gets classed as the Second City then others refer it as the U.K's "Middle Chid".

There is no winning, it usually turns into a heated convo. Just support each other and enjoy all the amazing cities for their differences and individualities across the U.K.

(However just a word of advice. If it really does bother some people that much, I honestly think by having to try prove it rings alarm bells)

Lozzaboy liked this post
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:24 PM   #1477
Sandblast

The strange thing is .... whilst we are happily posting here on the Birmingham World Forum, minding our own business, someone comes along and tells us how they prefer Manchester to Birmingham. Not you, btw, mileymc. We were just posting informative images of our own city ... on our own forum. Note, we don't spam the Manchester World forum.

No-one (Birmingham posters) even mentioned Manchester .... what is it with these insecurities with some 'up North'?

I've travelled extensively across the USA, and know a few US cities well. My favourite two are Boston & San Francisco...... don't think either of these are the second, third or even fourth cities of the USA, and neither have the tallest buildings. Who cares if Los Angeles, New York or Chicago are the second cities or not ..... the residents of those cities couldn't give a toss!!!

Birmingham by population, by default, is the Second City ..... we haven't asked for it .... it is just the way it is. We don't really care, it isn't an issue. It is Manchester folk trying to challenge it.

Stick to your 'which is the most important Northern City' debate with your neighbour, Liverpool.

Any way, back to our city.

Birmingham CBD - Colmore Row

Conurbation 2 liked this post

Last edited by Sandblast; January 3rd, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:40 PM   #1478
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post
(However just a word of advice. If it really does bother some people that much, I honestly think by having to try prove it rings alarm bells)
In fairness all Sandblast has tried to do is highlight Birmingham's renaissance and the overall importance of the city to the country as a whole. The point was made that both cities are doing fantastically well.

Also I think it's unsurprising that Brummies appear to get offended easily regarding others' perceptions of their city. For decades Birmingham (along with Liverpool) has unfairly been the target of severe negative attitudes from other people within the UK. When you consider the city's significance to the country over the past 200 years, such prejudice is perhaps...unfortunate.

Ultimately, as in Manchester, something special is currently happening in Brum. Long may this "provincial" advancement continue.

Keep up the good work, Sandblast.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:47 PM   #1479
Sandblast

Thank you WarwickDan. I don't normally 'bite' to such comments, but with the efforts some of us here are trying to portray our city in a positive light, it sometimes doesn't go down too well with one or two in a certain Northern city ..... which is a shame, because Cottonopolis is no Xanadu either.
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:26 AM   #1480
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 637

Some people enjoy starting debates and like to stir the pot, not targeted to any individual posters on here. They know it will add fuel to the fire, however it shouldn't be such a sensitive issue in my opinion. I didn't realise when I first joined this forum how much tension and competition there is with U.K cities. I personally love keep updated and see what's going on in B'ham aswell as London, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, L'pool etc...

All I was trying to say is I wouldn't try to prove anything to those who are just looking for a response. (Not directed at Bligh either) People can clearly see with all the hard work keeping this page updated across the dozens of projects going on around B'ham how well the city is doing. As well as many other cites across the country.

Sandblast liked this post
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham