daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:20 PM   #1381
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Sutton is often compared to Solihull but goodness knows why. Sutton will never be able to compete against a borough and town.

There is room for improvement, but landowners are slow and are seemingly reluctant to invest in the town. Hell we can't even get a decent bus station. Cradley Heath has had two in the time we've been trying to get TfWM to support.
It's cause Sutton is posh innit...er excuse me. Seriously though Sutton Coldfield is basically a Town/Borough in (Greater) Birmingham, similar to Solihull (which is all but in 'Greater' Birmingham...and should be!). It must be said though Solihull leaves Sutton standing though when it comes to Shopping/Leisure Facilities.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY Conurbation
WEST MIDLANDS County, UK
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:29 AM   #1382
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhite View Post
It's cause Sutton is posh innit...er excuse me. Seriously though Sutton Coldfield is basically a Town/Borough in (Greater) Birmingham, similar to Solihull (which is all but in 'Greater' Birmingham...and should be!). It must be said though Solihull leaves Sutton standing though when it comes to Shopping/Leisure Facilities.
Indeed, Sutton town centre should improve as footfall will increase a lot. As mention previously there are a lot of cash around and thus spending power is already there. Just look at the improve house of Fraser, more people in there now

I do think transportation like the m42 helped Solihull, if only the m6 toll was free..
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:56 PM   #1383
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2833

Quote:
Sutton is often compared to Solihull but goodness knows why. Sutton will never be able to compete against a borough and town.
It will if Sutton becomes it's own borough and town-proper in the future. Talk down a town with ideas of independence at your peril.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:34 PM   #1384
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3967

I think sutton won’t really compete with Solihull because of the closeness to the city centre but also the surrounding areas, people in Solihull dorridge Knowle Henley in Arden tanworth in Arden etc. Are likely to go solihull, the surrounding areas of sutton, it’s probably easier for them to go the city centre perhaps?
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #1385
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
I think sutton won’t really compete with Solihull because of the closeness to the city centre but also the surrounding areas, people in Solihull dorridge Knowle Henley in Arden tanworth in Arden etc. Are likely to go solihull, the surrounding areas of sutton, it’s probably easier for them to go the city centre perhaps?
Not forgetting of course people in Coventry seem to prefer Solihull (Warwick or Leamington too) to their City Centre...at least at present.

However on the other side of the coin there isn't all that much difference in mileage between Sutton Coldfield and Solihull (from Central Birmingham). I remember Sutton used to be popular in the 80's and early 90's though this was before the redevelopment of the Bull Ring etc...

WEST MIDLANDS County, UK

hoody liked this post
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:56 AM   #1386
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Not forgetting of course people in Coventry seem to prefer Solihull (Warwick or Leamington too) to their City Centre...at least at present.

However on the other side of the coin there isn't all that much difference in mileage between Sutton Coldfield and Solihull (from Central Birmingham). I remember Sutton used to be popular in the 80's and early 90's though this was before the redevelopment of the Bull Ring etc...
And the Fort
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #1387
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Quote:
And the Fort
And One Stop...

Both of these Retail offerings are also not great despite the likes of Primark at The Fort...

WEST MIDLANDS County, UK
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:27 PM   #1388
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 6533

I know people that trek from Tamworth to The Fort for Primark, they'd make a killing in Sutton Coldfield! The former BHS unit is still empty. The Parade really needs to be pedestrianised, or at least remove the tarmac for brickwork much like how Solihull have improved their main Bus interchange.

Rijowhite liked this post
ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:32 PM   #1389
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I know people that trek from Tamworth to The Fort for Primark, they'd make a killing in Sutton Coldfield! The former BHS unit is still empty. The Parade really needs to be pedestrianised, or at least remove the tarmac for brickwork much like how Solihull have improved their main Bus interchange.
Being honest I'm one of them! You are right, Primark would surely be successful in Sutton Coldfield...though Tamworth could do with a branch too.

WEST MIDLANDS County, UK
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:14 AM   #1390
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Being honest I'm one of them! You are right, Primark would surely be successful in Sutton Coldfield...though Tamworth could do with a branch too.
Totally! I see Toys'R'Us are closing their Tamworth branch, and the whole row of shops will be getting the Next treatment, I could see Primark opening there, probably extending upwards.

Primark would really be a savoir for Sutton Coldfield though, I know some may think it would bring the 'riff raff' in but I think many other retailers would follow.

Rijowhite liked this post
ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #1391
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
The former Dorothy Perkins has a planning application in Primarks font and there's a blog post from before that was subbed saying "stop Dorothy Perkins becoming a Primark". Only a small unit though (16k sq ft).

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #1392
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3967

Touchwood should let primark take a pre let on the large unit there if they’re struggling to get it let/move forward

I think primark are strong enough to have a presence across a few regional centres, I think they’d gain more sales overall than they’d lose from nearby store sales reducing as customers switch to their nearer store
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote