daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old July 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #21
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 1158

but that road 7C isn't for transit, right? it is more like some turistic route. road 7 has transit meaning at that section
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #22
lpioe

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The highest road is in the Sierra Nevada, Southern Spain, leading up to 3400m, well over 700m higher than the highest Alpspasses.
The highest point of Sierra Nevada is at about 3500m, I highly doubt a road is going up to 3400m there.

As for Romania, the motorway shown in the pics is in a really awesome condition, I hope more will follow soon.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #23
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 3748

The road to the Pico de Veleta (Mulhacen) is going up to 3396m.

In German;

Quote:
Der Pico del Veleta ist mit 3.396 Metern der zweithöchste Berg der Sierra Nevada und der dritthöchste der Iberischen Halbinsel.

Eine Besonderheit stellt die bis zum Gipfel führende höchstgelegene Straße Europas dar.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #24
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
but that road 7C isn't for transit, right? it is more like some turistic route. road 7 has transit meaning at that section
Yes, it's mostly for tourism. Trucks can't actually climb the steep slope. But I started with it as it is the most impressive road in Romania by far. I'll see if I can find pics of the A2 on the Eastern European subforum when I return from my trip, I also remember seeing a video.

Radi, actually I've been planning to visit Rila for quite some time, it must be awesome. The Pirin Mtns. are interesting too, right?
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #25
x-type
con los terroristas

can you describe us Bucureşti's bypass? or if you have some pics of it?
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #26
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
It looks fucking awesome, the crashbarriers look really new, it looks very modern, well done.
This section has been re-surfaced around 6 years ago, this is what I've been told by one romanian guy, when i visited Bucaresti.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #27
lpioe

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

In German;
Wow, that's quite spectacular. In the alps you have quite a few mountains of 4000-5000m but theres no road even close to that height.
Do you have pics of the road in the Sierra Nevada?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #28
radi6404

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Yes, it's mostly for tourism. Trucks can't actually climb the steep slope. But I started with it as it is the most impressive road in Romania by far. I'll see if I can find pics of the A2 on the Eastern European subforum when I return from my trip, I also remember seeing a video.

Radi, actually I've been planning to visit Rila for quite some time, it must be awesome. The Pirin Mtns. are interesting too, right?
The Pirin mountain is interesting, too but it hasn´t so big rockwalls and the amount of valleys is way less, the valleys are what a moutnain make a real mountain, not some little rocks in a height of 2400 m like it is the case in most of Pirin, but it also has valleys, do you have enough information for visiting the rila mountain, do you know where to go, best start google earth or even better Nasa worldwind iwth the good 15 m per Pixel layers and see which valley you like most.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #29
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

In German;

Well, there may be a trail or dirt road to Pico Veleta, but the real road (paved, used all year long) only goes as far as Pradollano (about 2200m).
The rest of it I think it's a dirt road, or at least a narrow paved road that it's probably not opened to traffic and it's completelly covered in thick snow in the winter. Because the road goes through a ski resort.
Pradollano is the base city of the ski resort.

As for the stretch from Granada to Puertollano (~2200m) it's quite good for a mointain road, with many 2+1 sections.
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #30
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Do you have pics of the road in the Sierra Nevada?

I've used that road several times, but only have a pair of pictures from somewhere between Granada and Pradollano (between 1000 and 2000m), but I'm unable to use photobucket at the moment, so...
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #31
radi6404

Quote:

In German;
the fact that a road can go up directly to the peak shows that the mountains there obviously aren´t so stepp and so spectacular.

I think no one single road could clim any of these peaks:

Altough they are no higher than 2730 m.
(This is a ridge with peaks in the Rila mountain)

Last edited by radi6404; July 27th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #32
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
can you describe us Bucureşti's bypass? or if you have some pics of it?
Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately ), the last time I've been to Bucharest was in 2001, and we didn't use the bypass then. I've never been on the Bucharest bypass. Now that I think of it, I've been more times to Budapest than Bucharest. Better to drive a 200 km distance, mostly on M5 Autopálya (motorway), then a 600 km distance on 2-lane roads!
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #33
radi6404

That´s because the fucking bad situation in Romania and bulgaria, if i imagine someone who lives in Vidin and wants to go to Serbia via Sofia will not enter one single motorway i think it is very poor, and it wont change any time soon.
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #34
x-type
con los terroristas

it is really weird for such a large cities as Bucureşti and Sofija to have regular roads for bypasses. i think it is unique because such large cities or doesn't have bypass at all or have 4 lanes road for bypass
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #35
radi6404

Quote:
it is really weird for such a large cities as Bucureşti and Sofija to have regular roads for bypasses. i think it is unique because such large cities or doesn't have bypass at all or have 4 lanes road for bypass
Sofia has Bypasses, they are sometimes 2X2 and some are still 1X1
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #36
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sofia / Bucureşti needs at least a 2x4 bypass for the future. Look at Western European cities of that size, and their traffic jams. Same thing will happen in Sofia and Bucureşti one day, maybe not tomorrow, but in 20 years or so.

Old July 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #37
Nephasto
Enlightened user

So they better build a 2x3 bypass or something like that, but prepared to 2x4 or more(probably no need to 2x4 at the moment).
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #38
twinsen
dark avenger

Likes (Received): 0

[RO] Romanian motorways

As there was no thread about them, I'm starting this one

Romania actually has two operational motorways and three planned (info from Wikipedia):

A1: Bucharest - Piteşti - Râmnicu Vâlcea - Sibiu - Deva - Timişoara - AradNădlac > Hungary - 620 km, 113 km in service between Piteşti and Bucharest
Sibiu and Piteşti bypasses are under construction; funding is ensured for the Arad - Timişoara and Deva - Orǎştie sections.
A2 ("Sun motorway"): Bucharest - Feteşti - Cernavodă - Constanţa - 225 km, 151 now in service, between Bucharest and Cernavodǎ -

Cernavodǎ - Constanţa and Constanţa bypass to be completed in 2010

A3 ("Transylvania motorway"): Bucharest - Ploieşti - Braşov - Sighişoara - Târgu Mureş - Cluj-Napoca - Zalău - Oradea - Borş > Hungary - 545 km, 0 km operational - this road does not exist yet, however Section Braşov - Oradea is under construction

A4 (East-West Motorway): Moldova > Iaşi - Roman - Piatra Neamţ - Bicaz - Gheorgheni - Reghin - Târgu Mureş > junction with A3 - 300 km, planned

A5 (Moldova Motorway): Ploieşti - Buzău - Focşani - Albiţa > Moldova - 314 km, planned

Does anybody have any photos of A1 od A2 motorways, especially from construction works, as of August 2007?
twinsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen View Post
As there was no thread about them, I'm starting this one
There is already a thread about Romania. You could have checked the list from the sticky thread.

Romania

So this one can be closed.

Old August 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #40
wyqtor
Coexist

Some pictures of A3 - Autostrada Transilvania construction work, from the EE subforum. Thanks to Nebunul for pictures & information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebunul View Post
Quote:
more

Quote:
Transilvania Highway Project (A3), Romania - June update

Quote:
Romania to have longest viaduct in Eastern Europe
28.06.2007 - Gardianul

The largest viaduct in Eastern Europe, 1.8 km in length, is to be erected in the neighborhood of Suplacu de Barcau settlement, on the Autostrada Transilvania alignment. The viaduct will be built by the Bechtel Company, following an investment of approximately 60 million EUR (Mediafax). “This viaduct was not included in the Feasibility Study and thus it will increase cost by approximately 60 million EUR, representing the value of the works“, declared Mihai Grecu, general manager of the National Company of Motorways and National Roads. The official also mentioned that the Suplacu de Barcau-Bors section of Autostrada Transilvania is to be finished in 2009, together with the viaduct. According to the official, Bechtel works on this section are progressing at the pace established with the authorities.

and more old news ...

Tariceanu satisfied with Bechtel: "You go ahead and start, we'll bring in the money"
18.05.2007 - hotnews
Prime Minister Calin Popescu Tariceanu declared himself satisfied with Bechtel's pace of works on the motorway section between Turda and Cluj
details

Multicultural 1st of May picnic at Bechtel
02.05.2007 - Can Can
Everyone together. Turks, Indians, Canadians, Americans and Romanians together spend Labor Day with traditional food and games
details

Asphalt works on Transilvania motorway will start this summer
27.04.2007 - Gandul
Bechtel representatives presented yesterday to journalists of Cluj details related to the status of works on Autostrada Transilvania and promised that this summer asphalt casting works will start as well
details

Bechtel promises motorway next year
27.04.2007 - Ziarul Clujeanului
The sub-section Câmpia Turzii - Gilău of the Transilvania motorway might become functional starting with 2008

Amen to that last piece of info. I am not sure about the accuracy of the article with the longest viaduct, as it is human nature to boast, though I think they are right. I would like some opinions on the accuracy of that claim.

Last edited by wyqtor; August 25th, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania