daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #61
globetrek

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
I think some one could make nice $$$$ by making stylish yet informative coffee table books about the history of LA's building boom... It would be like SSC but in hard cover.
globetrek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #62
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrek View Post
I think some one could make nice $$$$ by making stylish yet informative coffee table books about the history of LA's building boom... It would be like SSC but in hard cover.

There is a book called "Picturing Los Angeles"... by Jon & Nancy Willkman.
It's covers a little more than just the building boom. It tries to capture the history of the city through photography. The book starts with a picture of LA believed to be from late 1850s or early 1860s and takes you to the city as we know it today.

I really enjoyed it... great book for any LA fan.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #63
soup or man
Diamondz...

Likes (Received): 175

LA Now is the BEST book about Los Angeles. Period.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM   #64
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 12

...i want this sticky

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #65
jumping jupiter

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCaliBrotha View Post
That'd be pretty awesome to live across the street from the Wiltern. I think thats what it was in that picture. It was like the Wiltern then across the street big single family houses. Niice. If it was still here today you could walk across the street for concerts. But then again where would the Metro station go?
my husband's grandmother used to say ..."I was born in the parking lot of Wilshire Bullocks." Her beautiful huge craftsman was torn down to build it.

also, her brother when they lived near vermont and wilshire was in the backyard when the barn started to shake......it turned out to be the San Francisco Earthquake.

wow.
jumping jupiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM   #66
ETOA906
ETOA906

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYofDREAMS View Post
There is a book called "Picturing Los Angeles"... by Jon & Nancy Willkman.
It's covers a little more than just the building boom. It tries to capture the history of the city through photography. The book starts with a picture of LA believed to be from late 1850s or early 1860s and takes you to the city as we know it today.
There was a similar book published during the early 80's building boom titled "Views of Los Angeles". The author who was from Europe was very impressed with how this city's landscape has changed over the years. In the book he used photos taken around Los Angeles from years past and re-shot the picture from the same exact spot the original was taken. One of the photos he used showed a large house at 555 S Hope St on Bunker Hill in the 1880's. He re-shot the photo which showed the Security Pacific Bank skyscraper on that site in the early 80's. Another one I remember was at Third and Hill facing West where Angels Flight used to be. He used three photos for this one since the area changed many times. One photo from the 1800's showed Third St as a dirt road going up and over the hill. Homes could be seen along both side of Third as well as a horse pulling a carriage. The next picture from about the 1930's showed the Third Street Tunnel with traffic and office buildings where homes used to be. The last photo showed the new Angels Plaza housing complex and a missing Angels Flight. Anyone remember this book?
ETOA906 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #67
lovecharlie

Likes (Received): 6

Art Deco that makes others turn green with envy!

Here are two historic blue/green turquoise Art Deco skyscrapers of Los Angeles. To be honest black n white photos for a change do these no justice.

The Eastern Columbia Building

Built in 1930, the 13 floor turquoise skyscraper is capped by a four sided clock tower trimmed with gold leaf, and a wealth of motifs . Rising 264ft the Eastern Columbia features a two story main entrance spectacularly decorated by a blue and gold terra cotta sunburst. It is no wonder it's considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco Architecture.

Designed by Claud Beelman the building located in the Broadway Theatre District of downtown Los Angeles reopened as condos earlier this year (2007)

The Pellissier Building & Wiltern Theatre

Built in 1931 the Pellissier Building is home to the Wiltern Theatre and together they are both commonly known as The Wiltern. This 155ft, 12 floor blue/green turquoise terra cotta skyscraper is designed in a French Zig Zag Moderne style and features detailed metal panels

Threatened with the wrecking ball twice in the late 1970s, the building was saved by a local group of preservationists and was listed on the National Register Of Historic Places in 1979. Renovation started in 1981 and by 1983 the Pellissier Building was back to its former glory the theatre proved a more difficult job and took a further two years to complete.

Reciving the Los Angeles Historic Preservation Award of Excellence 1994, and after receiving a face lift, it reopened in 2002.

Orginally opened as a Vauderville theatre the Warner Brothers Western Theater, the flagship for the theater chain, reopened in the mid 1930s as the Wiltern Theatre receiving its name from the intersection on which it is located WILshire Boulevard and wesTERN Avenue.

My Photos On Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22743973@N08/

Agustin_M liked this post

Last edited by lovecharlie; July 15th, 2007 at 12:09 AM.
lovecharlie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #68
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecharlie View Post

Wow thanx "Charlie" for that! Really interesting. Notice the "auto park" sign up above.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #69
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 105

I was unaware that "The Wiltern" was known as the "Warner" back in the days. I like how it lite up at night, wish they would do that now. Especially when they have concerts or events. The inside is beautiful and well preserve, I had the chance to check it out when I attended a concert a couple of weeks ago*
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #70
losangelino

Likes (Received): 2

Wrigley Field

I don't know how to post pictures yet but someone mentioned how the Hall of Records was one of the buildings LA never should have destroyed. I'd say that this Stadium is right up there as well. What must they have been thinking to destroy something like this:

http://www.sportshollywood.com/lawrigley.html
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #71
eyeguy

great thread & photos here. one correction....

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox View Post
richfield towers 1970
this actually arco plaza aka city national plaza - paul hastings tower & city national tower. see #19. LA central library can be seen to the right, and 611 Place to the right of that. acro plaza is also on the board here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=56750

this is the former site of Richfield Tower (1928/29-1968), the building I was looking for when i found this thread. I was wondering exactly where the Richfield Tower was on this block, and where the other buildings in this photo were. I'm also turning up very few pictures of Richfield Tower. As far as it's only appeared in one film, Zabriskie Point (1970), which must have been shot just before the tower's destruction.

and one clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox View Post
i dont know... no title
this one is 611 Place - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/611_Place, circa 67, probably before the destruction of Richfield (behind 611 in this photo). To the immediate right is LA Central Library, and to the right of that is the current location of US Bank Tower.
eyeguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #72
eyeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
Thank you!!! That almost looks like a satellite picture. How was this possible in 1887????
i seriously doubt that is 1887. it would be interesting to see the source of the photo.
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #73
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 12

ha, i just write what the library tells me

thanks for the clarifications though

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #74
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 7

More pix...
Wilshire

Spring and 2nd 1934

Grand Av. 1982

Grand Av. circa 1984

Figueroa 1968

Dodger Stadium

South Park 1984

Downtown 1930

City Hall construction

Broadway 1940s

Cal Plaza 2 1992

6th st 1913

3rd st 1973

And something a little newer
Elleven 2005

Agustin_M liked this post

Last edited by FROM LOS ANGELES; July 30th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
FROM LOS ANGELES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #75
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 154

LA has really been slow to build vertically. Even Texas cities had more skyscrapers than LA by the mid 80's.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:56 AM   #76
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 105

This is actually a great thread and seriously needs to be sticky to showcase our lovely history here in Los Angeles....

LASF, can you do us the honor!!!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM   #77
losangelino

Likes (Received): 2

Neon signs on Broadway

Fascinating. Any plans to restore them to all of their former glory? What a shame that we do away with things like this.
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:48 PM   #78
GilbyDM101

I think there was a legitimate reason for taking down most if not all neon signs in L.A. During WWII, the military worried that we would be bombed/attacked by the Japanese. The neon signs would’ve made it easier to hit desired targets. Last time I checked, the war between Japan was over so, yeah I think we should put the signs back up!
GilbyDM101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM   #79
eyeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbyDM101 View Post
Last time I checked, the war between Japan was over so, yeah I think we should put the signs back up!
either that or the Japanese should bomb Vegas
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM   #80
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 5

seeing that the japanese own most of downtown LA now I don't think it would be in their best interest to do that
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles