daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #101
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 134

right well something else was afoot this week in the planning app, another part of this site has been aproved

approved this week!!!!!

Application number
C/00500/07/FUL

Date application received
31/01/2007

Date application registered
31/01/2007

Status
Defer for Sect 106

83-92 Bromsgrove Street, City, Birmingham,

Proposal
Erection of new building to provide 46 apartments and gf uses including A1 A2 & A3 new access and car parking

ok, you can see a picture of this building which is 8 floors (double height base) here...

but the interesting part is how this fits into the rest of the site...and its potential future massing!

(and here is one with this development highlighted in red)

i was totally unaware of the density of what was happenning here.... im liking what im seeing!

Sponsored Links

Old August 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #102
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 114

That looks excellent overall! Is this all Crosby?

I would prefer a walkway a la Southside to run through it though.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #103
feltip

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
Well this is on the corner next to I-land so it wont be totally enclosed like that as there is access requirement to telephone works.

Just the bit alongside bristol street to fill in but I don't think they ought to get rid of all the brick buildings for variety although I think there are more in the next section along Bristol street.

Perhaps someone could fill in the bit on left with planned bit.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #104
woodhousen

well ive been reading the statement that goes with the application and although it states that access for the BT exchange will be needed for the mean time, it ststayes that it anticipates the sale of the BT exchange very soon and that as a result, all applications for this area should conform to a wider proposal.... as you can see, both this and the other application for this block both correspond well to the massing study. also, as a result, with the sale of the bt exchange imminante, and the fact that nearly all the buildings on the bristol street frontage are empty, i can see this being one large crosby/glen howells village, and it has my support!
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #105
feltip

There will always be a small BT plot though as the anchor tunnel network has ventilation shaft there.

It is awesome and should put pressure on other plots for redevelopment and regeneration.

Glad theyre sorting out that gap between I-land and the other app as the gap was quite large.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #106
woodhousen

you should read the planning app, it makes for some interesting reading, and with the inclusion of ground floor commercia units, has the potential to add to the quarters divercity in terms of bars and shops and not hinder it too much....

exciting times for this!

and anyway, there is no reason they cant just incorporate the anchor vent into a piece of art, so no one would find out our secret!
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #107
feltip

Ooh forgot I found this in the Midland Zone magazine when went out at weekend - about armouries site (I think its not Unity site).

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #108
ShavenHeaden

Likes (Received): 0

Nightingale vs Crosby then - as I said in the Digbeth thread, Crosby's lawyers are arguing that Nightingales are breaching their licence terms as it states they're not to make a nuisance - the lawyers suggest that as sound from the club is audible from the outside they are making a nuisance.

Also interesting is that Crosby paid for and installed noise reducers, which the Nightingale then refused to switch on, and they have refused to meet with Crosby about other ways to reduce noise leakage (even though Crosby seemed to be willing to carry out the works themselves). That one puzzles me - it seems the Gale don't want apartments in the area whatsoever.

They also argue that the noise limits the council is insisting on are over the top. (It's on planning app C/03254/06/FUL - attachment named 71323 1 C/03254/06/FUL Supporting Information)
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #109
woodhousen

if this really is true, then i realy hope the the gale comes to its senses, and soon!
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #110
feltip

Another story in the Zone linked to that is the B5 business group (the gay businesses of the village) refusing to speak to Wetherspoons over their plan to change O'Neils on Hurst Street to Wetherspoons.

A letter written by someone who spoke to Wetherspoons said Wetherspoons were going to find gay manager or gay friendly manager too, in contrast to O'Neils.

B5 group have no idea, like the gale. A vibrant buzzing area is better for all concerned and they can all get along sensibly if they just talk to each other.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #111
ShavenHeaden

God why are they so short sighted? Obviously no chance of a BID for this area - the mere suggestion of extra costs would make them run a mile from the sound of it. It'd be okay if the village was thriving, but lets be honest, it's rather blah. No real selection, a handful of bars, fewer clubs and in a dodgy area. They're either deluded or in denial if they think they can carry on as is (well okay they probably can but they could do so much better working together properly)
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #112
Key_In_Dudley

Likes (Received): 1

A BID would be a great idea for the village but if you ever follow the politics and infighting as reported in the Zone you'd be lucky if they could all stand to stay in the same room as each other.

I can see the Gale's point as they were there first but the area needs dragging up by the neck i'd like to be able to go down there on a nice day and eat outside but as it stands I have no compulsion to sit outside Missing choking on traffic fumes, staring at a bombsite car park
Key_In_Dudley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #113
Biosonic
Second Citizen

So let me get this right - the gay businesses are refusing to speak to another business that is opening on their doorstep?

Why? Because it is straight? Because it is a chain? Because it is Wetherspoons are they are being snobby?

I tell you what, they will be hoisted by their own petard if they don't start being more co-operative because like it or not, the city centre will expand down to Opal Court and out through the wholesale markets, and they can either join in the fun, exist in an isolated run-down sector, or be driven out altogether.

Btw - did anyone notice that in a speech by Whitby (reprinted in the Post a couple of weeks ago) he mentioned the Gay Village as an asset to Birmingham that should be improved and promoted? The message is finally getting through!
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #114
blar

Likes (Received): 24

If Crosby get permission to build the Armouries development behind the Nightingale Club then Im afraid the Gay Village will be doomed. Gooch Estates have held on to all their property and land over the years just so it can increase in value. The Gooch Estate want to make as much capital as possible and unfortunatly that is in residenshal development. I wish they would now place all their existing property on the open market, this would allow for a mixure of development to happen.
blar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #115
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Well, the Gooch Estate is currently being masterplanned, by I think either Glenn Howells or BDP.

The council will not allow a purely residential development, and AFAIK the Gay Village is split across the Gooch Estate, Council land and whoever owns the Arcadian end.

I think Crosby will and should get permission to build the Armouries. The council need to play their part because, if it works right, this will then be the precedent the city needs for this kind of juxtaposition. If the Gale can stay, and apartments can be built next door or virtually next door, and the 2 exist side-by-side, then the same logic can be applied elsewhere. This is only going to happen more and more in the future so it needs to be sorted now.

The council have been a bit half-witted about this in the past (Abacus, King Edwards Wharf) and need to get their act together. If Manchester can do this, then why can't we?

Equally the developer and the existing tenant/business have to join in. The right measures should be taken by the developer to sound proof and minimise disruption, and the attitude of "I was here first" is not acceptable as otherwise Birmingham will remain the city centre with a patchy outskirt which lets it down so badly.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #116
ShavenHeaden

Why isn't DV8 figuring into this? It's next door to Unity House, yet doesn't seem to be causing issues. Actually come to mention it residential was approved all around Edwards Number 8.

So there's something specifically wrong with the Gale to be causing all these noise issues surely? Ah perhaps the outside space?

I hate the way this seems to be turning into a development vs non-development issue. Other cities can build residential next to entertainment, so I don't see why we have problems doing it.

On the village in general, I think they need competition. Everything has always been the same more or less. A new club, or just a couple of new bars in a different location will force their hand to improve.
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #117
Biosonic
Second Citizen

A couple of new apartment blocks with a good bar/cafe and maybe even a community facility (meeting rooms, coffee lounge, internet cafe) would do wonders
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #118
blar

Likes (Received): 24

From what I have heard, DV8's lease will expire soon so I think they will be glad of the money from Mr Crosby
blar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #119
woodhousen

i realy hope DV8 doesnt close any time soon, birminghams gay scene is quite small in comparison to cities like manchester, we need al the clubs we can get lol
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #120
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Do you know whether DV8 are sizing up another venue? It always struck me as odd being so close to the Nightingale.

Maybe they could have that lovely old swimming baths round the corner?