daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #1
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 14

Spanish-era Churches

ok. i'm making again a thread about this one because the other one was gone. yeah. hey, i asked permission in the what the? thread.

and of course i hope this will be more organisd. here's a format:

the name of the structure plus other names in the post title (in order that it will be in bold).

then the location (street or area name then city or area name then province).

then some description (if that is possible/available). could be about the structure's physical appearance, it's history...
please give credit to the source of the text/s

and then the pics come after those small things. again i request posters to give credit to the photographers and/or the site where the pics were taken.

the number of pics per posts depends upon the poster. my suggestion is at most 3-5 per post. maybe that'll help those with poorer connections (like me). i'm not very sure about that but maybe we can give it a try.

we can also review the 'items' once in a while. probably after several pages and several 'items' are added. i suggest we list them alphabeticaly or according to places (which would be in alphabetical order) in order to help posters from knowing which ones were already there.

later additions are welcome. i suggest that we give emphasis that there has been something about that structure that is already posted. like a post can have a title that goes like: more pics/more info on XXX church.

discussion is encouraged. doesn't have to be directly solely on the thread title but must at least be related.

links related to the thread topic are welcome. post it away.

regarding the thread title, i just added the word 'philippine' to the old title. if anyone comes up with a better suggestion, then it would be cool. maybe we can ask the mods to change it.

i hope i am not giving you guys a hard time with those set of rules. well, that's just a suggestion to make things go easy. i hope everyone will cooperate. thank you very much.

there. hey it's quite obvious that i had fun with this advanced posting thing.

Sponsored Links

Old April 16th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #2
weirdo
helter skelter

barasoain church (our lady of mount carmel parish)

malolos, bulacan

from wguides.com:
An hour's drive from Manila will take you to Barasoain Church where the first Philippine Constitution was drafted in 1898. Emilio Aguinaldo, the first president of the republic, proclaimed the ratification of the constitution from the balcony of the adjoining convent on 21 January 1899. The architecture of Barasoain Church engages the viewer for its curved facade, rose window and medieval bell tower. Floral motifs and frescoes of angels and saints adorn the interior.

from bworldonline.com

more pics taken april 2004:
here's the photo during malolos constitution. i took a photo of it. so you can somehow see me in taking a pic of it.

it may look/sound familiar because it's the xx on the ten peso paperbill

Last edited by weirdo; April 16th, 2004 at 10:10 PM.
weirdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3
weirdo
helter skelter

barasoain church pt 2

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #4
weirdo
helter skelter

barasoain xx pt 3

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5
weirdo
helter skelter

barasoain church pt 4

some details on the facade (in colour)

some info
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #6
weirdo
helter skelter

barasoain church part 5

to the right side of the church there's a small square. some pics of that area:

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Monkey
BANNED

A most excellent thread, weirdo--BRAVO!!!!

You set things out just beautifully and made a great start.

I'll visit here often because I just loooove churches.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #8
weirdo
helter skelter

thanks. that was fast. now i will be motivated to work harder here. thanks again.

barasoain church part 6 (last one)

there are some small historical monuments erected in front of the church within the compound. here are some pics:

emilio aguinaldo (the pres of the revolutionary govt):

bonus: a no parking sign sponsored by purina (hog chow)

i find that one funny. sorry for the number of pictures. i disregarded a lot. can't eliminate more.
by the way, there's a museum adjacent to the church (behind the monument post#8, pic#1). i don't have a decent pic of it. and it was closed when i came so no inside pics. no interior pics of the church too cos nothing that i tooked passed. neway, enjoy. and maybe i'd post some more later.
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #9
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 12

dont be silly, weirdo. You dont need to ask permission before you start a thread!! No way...

But awesome thread indeed! Good thing this is back. Now all have to do is look for my Manila Cathedral pic.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:29 AM   #10
weirdo
helter skelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyX
dont be silly, weirdo. You dont need to ask permission before you start a thread!! No way...

But awesome thread indeed! Good thing this is back. Now all have to do is look for my Manila Cathedral pic.
of course all those permission stuff were silly. it was a weird idea. but what's the use of having weirdo as username hehe. twas just for fun. hey, only between you and me, i'm still gonna make this thread even if my proposal is rejected. shh! don't tell the others. hehe.

good. we will be anticipating for your manila cathedral pictures. and probably some more.
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #11
ryanr
Registered non-User

lol... You are indeed "weirdo" hahaha... and just between you and me, you should have used invisible ink to write the above so that the others wont see
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM   #12
weirdo
helter skelter

basilica minore del santo niño (santo niño church)

cebu 10° 17.657N 123° 54.127E

from malapascua.de
Quote:
Santo Nino, is with Magellan’s Cross, the most popular symbol of Cebu. Expressive of the pleasing oppositions in Cebuano culture, it is at once both foreign and native. In history, it was made by Flemish artisans, brought to the island by Ferdinand Magellan in 1521. In local tradition, it is a miraculous piece of wood, cast out of the Visayan sea, worshipped from “times immemorial”.
SANTO NIÑO
Quote:
A Tale Of The Santo Nino

is told that when, in the days of Legaspi, the capital was moved from Cebu to Manila, the authorities decreed that the image of the Sto. Nino should also be moved to the new capital. So, the image was crated and shipped to manila, but the crate arrived there empty. The image miraculously disappeared, reappearing in its shrine in Cebu. It was recreated, and the crate placed inside another box, and then shipped to manila. Again, the boxes arrived in Manila empty. The image was crated a third time, and the crate placed not in one but in two boxes - but in vain. The Santo Nino was back in Cebu.

Eventually, the shippers sent the image out in a series of Chinese boxes, one inside another, with the seventh and inner-most box containing the image. In this manner, the image arrived in Manila and was enthroned in the Augustinian church of the capital city. The image, however, kept disappearing from the Augustinian church and reappearing in its shrine in Cebu. And so, it is told, the Manila Augustinians decided to cut off one of the Holy Child’s legs to stop it from escaping and returning to Cebu. This proved of no avail. The Santo Nino still kept on returning to Cebu

Manila finally gave up and Cebu kept its little Lord. Today, it is said, one can still notice how unevenly the Santo Nino stands. It is a sign of how, at one time, it had been amputated to keep it from returning to its beloved home.

In other versions of this story, the image was shipped not to Manila but to Spain. Whatever the version, however, it is a story told to show how intimately wedded to each other Cebu and the Santo Nino have become.

IMAGE OF SANTO NIÑO - Considered as the oldest religious relic in the Philippines. It was on April 14, 1521 that Magellan gave the image to Queen Juana as a baptismal gift. Forty-four years later, on April 27,1565 when Miguel Lopez de Legaspi arrived, Fr. Andres de Urdaneta who formally Christianized the Cebuanos, found the Native hostile. Legaspi besieged the settlement and set the village on fire. It was on one of the burnt houses that Juan Camus, a soldier, found the image of Sto. Niño unscratched. Since then, the miraculous image has been venerated by the Cebuanos as its patron saint. At present, the miraculous image is kept in the parish convent, and a replica is adorned with gold and precious stones and enshrined in glass. It is housed in a side altar inside the Basilica Minor del Santo Niño.
THE BASILICA
Quote:
his church was built by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi and Fr. Andres Urdaneta on the site where the image of Santo Niño was found in 1565. The first structure of the church was, however, destroyed by fire on November 1, 1568. It was rebuilt in 1602 under the administration of Juan Albaran and was rehabilitated in 1740. On May 1965, the church was conferred the title of Basilica Minor del Santo Niño Antonuitte, Papal Legate during the Fourth Centennial celebration of the Christianization of Cebu.
SINULOG
Quote:
Sinulog is a dance ritual in honor of the miraculous image of the Santo Nino. The dance moves two steps forward and one step backward to the sound of the drums. This movement resembles the current (Sulog) of what was known as Cebu's Pahina River. Thus, in Cebuano, they say it's Sinulog.
from cebuwebsite.tripod.com:
Quote:
The Santo Niño church, or more completely known as the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño, is among the most important religious pilgrim destinations of the Philippines. This church marks the seat of the Christianization of the country, which took place in 1565 with the conversion to the Christian faith of Rajah Humabon, the king of Cebu at that time, and his wife Queen Juana. In 1965, thousands of people from all over the Philippines and across the globe came to Cebu City for the celebration of the 4th Centennial of the Christianization of the Philippines. The bronze inscription at the right side of the photo commemorates the construction of the Pilgrim Center at the front ground of the church. This photo was taken at the side entrance leading to the bleacher seats of the Center
Quote:
Just outside the Osmeña Boulevard gate (the main gate) of Santo Niño church, along the concrete-and-iron grill fence, are dozens of stalls such as the one shown on the photo at the left, selling religious souvenirs like Santo Niño statuettes of various sizes, rosaries, crucifixes, missals, scapulars, medals and other related items.
from waypoints.ph (narrative by gblontoc):
Quote:
Getting there:
Being located in the same vicinity, at least three famous landmarks can be toured on foot: Fort San Pedro, Magellan's Cross and Basilica del Sto. Niño. Historically, these three are related to each other.

It is not difficult to find your way there. From anywhere in Cebu, the easiest is to take a taxi. You may also ask the locals which jeepney will pass near the area. Jeepneys in Cebu are coded with a number and letter combination depending on the route. The locals would guide you about those jeepney numbers. But as you may have difficulty familiarizing those codes, the simpler way is for you to just read the route written on the sides. You are sure to reach your destination if you find "Magallanes" written on it. Or you may have a map on hand and find which street are near those landmarks and take a jeepney with that street name written on its side. If that route would not directly pass by those landmarks, it is always fun to get off somewhere nearby and enjoy walking. Wherever you get off, find either Osmeña Blvd..or Magallanes St. which are the two streets flanking the Basilica. Magellan's cross is situated just at the south gate of the Basilica. Walking southeast either at Magallanes St. or Osmeña Blvd toward the port area and then through the pathways of Plaza Independencia will take you to Fort San Pedro.

If you can't speak Cebuano, I found that the locals are more comfortable answering if you ask questions in English.
links:
malapascua.de
cebuwebsite.tripod.com
angelfire.com/ky/dodone
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #13
weirdo
helter skelter

basilica minore del santo niño pics:

the altar is quite grand

pics from malapascua.de
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:16 AM   #14
weirdo
helter skelter

basilica minore del santo niño pics part 02:

pics and narrative from waypoints.ph by GBLontoc:
The Santo Niño Shrine as popularly known, was the Church of San Agustin before the title Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño was conferred to it in 1965 during the 4th centennial of Christianity in the Philippines. It is among the most important religious pilgrim destinations of the Philippines. This church marks the seat of the Christianization of the country, which took place in 1565 with the conversion to the Christian faith of Rajah Humabon, the king of Cebu at that time, and his wife Queen Juana. (Various accounts as to the year of conversion of the first Christian Filipinos are confusing. Another account points out that the baptism occurred when Magellan planted in 1521 his now famous cross.)

Old April 17th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #15
Francis20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

what's the thingy bet weirdo and greyX? so does that mean i can't join in this thread or what? tell me you guys or ill @#@$ ur @#@#$@. hahahaha...ill try to find one good pic of church, but i dun go there for the purpose of worship. and won't. im not amenable to making it alphabetical. weirdo, tho ur weird, ur such an organized poster and maybe a person in general. im more spontaneous and i hate rules sometimes. u belong to those types of person who would call a spade by its scientific name, who would go to the grocery and look at every products specs. and u wanna do things right the very first time. those are the East people. ok, bk to the topic.
Francis20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #16
ryanr
Registered non-User

well, u just did hahaah

nice pictures, weirdo. Churches in the Philippines are so old! (which is a good thing)
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #17
weirdo
helter skelter

this thing between greyx and me is a joke. and by looking at your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis20
so does that mean i can't join in this thread or what? tell me you guys or ill @#@$ ur @#@#$@. hahahaha...
it seems like you are joking too. lol. are we ? hehe.

oh same here. i come to such places to admire the architecture.

i really love organizing things. i have a format in naming my mp3 files and i've made one 'directory' in ms excel so i won't download the same thing again. too bad i forgot about our lessons in visual fox pro and i dunno things about databases. i also have some rules in naming image files and placing them on the right folder. names in my cellphone's phonebook should be complete (w surnames). same with my yahoo messenger friends. i am obsessed with organising. i'm not very succesful everytime. and it's hard because up to now i am not burning files yet to a cd-r because the files should be organised first. hehe. i feel so bad when i dun see my stuff organised: like imagestation. oh well. have a nice day!

and lately i've noticd ur so much into that north-south east-west thing. nice.
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #18
Francis20
BANNED

forget it. im spamming...
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #19
ryanr
Registered non-User

its way to early for us to be drunk...i'll prolly be drunk to night tho, coz im gonna party with my friends!

Opps, did i just say that in the Church thread? forgive me.
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #20
Francis20
BANNED

we once got drunk second time with these 2 roomies of mine...with that big sized Emperador ata. its funny how people get silly when drunk. u could talk things u cant imagine talking abt if ur on ur senses. the next morning, both of us weren't able to go to work early. ooopppsss...im sorry for this weirdo. im starting to make things disorganized here. mod, kindly delete this posts of mine.

Tags
churches, español, filipinas, iglesias