daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:46 PM   #61
pharmj

Likes (Received): 66

Dan did you get ure little booklet in the post today about the development? I had this little booklet using the same renders we have seen already...but really doing well to see the development. The marketing guys for this development have really hit the nail on the head!

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:53 PM   #62
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 28

nooo??? I've just moved out, but haven't found anywhere to live yet...so all my mail is being redirected to my warehouse my warehouse, i'll go down inabit and pick it up.

I've never seen anyone push as hard with the marketing for developments like they have with this scheme.

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #63
danz013
Robin Hood

Guys... i've got this friend. Can't remember who he works for but I know he's doing some work on southreef.

He's doing a thermal model of the development. The purpose of this is to work out whether the development will need air conditioning or not. You might ask why are they doing this...well... their trying to save money where they can (guess they've spent to much on all these leaflets lol)

He's going to try and get me some plans this week, all the stuff he has by email so I should have some interesting info soon.

By the way, pharmj, I got that leaflet, these guys are going all out aren't they!

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #64
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 113

I personally don't think air con is needed in an residential development as most of the time it's cold here. This years summer is a prime example.
My cousin also works for Thomas Fish who are building Southreef, so I'll also try and get some info off him. I don't see him very often so it might be quite difficult.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #65
danz013
Robin Hood

crazy....

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...reply&p=254849

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine.cura View Post
Ok, it's Nottinghams only doable* tower crane, a Comedil CTT331. Height Under Hook = 56.6m / 185.695 ft

I spotted this being erected before I went to Chornobyl and this is the first opportunity I've had to do it.

After a daytime recce I sussed out a route onto the site. Probably not the easiest but it worked for me.

After a brief climb I was almost on site. Panic ! A bloke in hi-vis was over the road, bang opposite me ! Had he seen me ?
No, but he was security, only for another building. He finished his fag and went back inside. I quietly went for the crane.

Looking South:

Crapital One:

Looking East:

Lace Market, (R to L) St Marys Church, Victoria Flats, Council House:

Weekday Cross:

Broadmarsh & Nottingham Castle:

BBC Television Centre:

Tram System:

Northern Monkey:

I had a wander out to the counterbalance weights and discovered that cranes are a bit wobbly.
I've no problem with heights but it's quite disconcerting to look down through the steel walkway
whilst the crane gently sways. Job done I descended and departed without incident. So far.

*happy to be proved wrong.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #66
danz013
Robin Hood

Found this one the site...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Is this the the foundation? Are we going to see it rise now then?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #67
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Could be the foundation. Doesn't Southreef have basement parking?
If so it could be that.
I don't think the core will be easily recognisable for a while yet tbh.
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #68
danz013
Robin Hood

Yeah it has underground parking.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #69
danz013
Robin Hood

From southreefs website...2 days ago...

Quote:
City centre apartment living is no longer the phenomenon it once was, however, finding a residential development that provides a management service with which you are happy seems to be the exception rather than the rule!

A city centre skyline filled with tower cranes signifies the rebirth of many inner city areas, which can bring with it new or revived social and economic benefits. Nottingham is no exception, but with so many apartments and locations to choose from, how do you decide which is best?

Just imagine … you’ve found the perfect pad! It’s in a great location, the living space is fantastic and it provides the lifestyle you’ve always wanted. You move in and for the next couple of weeks everything is rosy, until … you wake one morning and the lift is out of order!

You place a call requesting that the lift be fixed and you’re assured that it will be done in the next 24 hours or so. Okay, so that’s not too bad, walking the 4 flights of stairs for the next day won’t be too hard and it will give you that exercise you’ve been promising yourself. A few days later, the lift still isn’t working - what did you expect? Sound familiar?

Directors of Southreef Properties Limited, developers of Southreef, a new mixed-use city centre development in Nottingham, were interested to find out residents’ views on the management service they received, so they initiated a survey to see whether residential and estate management is a ‘real’ issue.

Southreef Properties asked students studying for an MBA at the Nottingham University Business School to undertake a survey, which formed part of a larger management project. The survey was sent to residents living in apartment developments in the NG1 postcode and respondents were entered into a prize draw.

The winner of the £250 cash prize is Victoria Stevenson who has lived in the city’s historic Lace Market for the past 3 years. Victoria, who also works in the city, said: “I viewed several apartments before finding the right place. My decision was based not only on the style of the apartment, but how the communal areas were maintained. It was definitely part of the decision-making process.”

Andrea Richardson, Sales and Marketing Director of Southreef Properties Limited, who has worked for several years on city centre residential developments, is aware that some standards in management leaves a lot to be desired. She commented: “We undertook the survey to see whether our views at Southreef were correct. We can’t wait to find out the results.”

“We are aware that a good on-site management service is a key component to successful apartment living; we believe it also helps in sustaining apartment values – the management sets the standard for the whole development. Some developments do suffer from poor management – when this is the case, they appear tired and unloved. At Southreef we are striving for excellence, we want our residents to be proud not just of their apartment but the development as a whole.”

With so many apartment developments in the city, Southreef believe that the management service will be one of the key aspects that will influence purchasers when making a decision on which apartment to buy in the future.

Southreef will be launched later this year when a selection of waterside apartments, from studios to 3-bed duplexes, will be released. To be kept informed of apartment releases and other news, register your interest at www.southreefproperties.co.uk

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #70
danz013
Robin Hood

Just drove by southreef and noticed they've put up this enormous hoarding... much bigger than the one that was there before...they've pushed the sight out a little as well... any ideas on what this is for?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #71
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Maybe they need some more room to pour concrete into the foundation or to excavate the side of the site closest to the road?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #72
danz013
Robin Hood

Update: 21/09/2007

Heres the Hoarding I was talking about...

image hosted on flickr

It was definitely the foundation I saw the other day. Stef.. what was your estimation of when you though we'd start to see this rise?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #73
danz013
Robin Hood

Woops... I forget the rest of the pics...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #74
danz013
Robin Hood

Photo Update

Southreef is rising!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #75
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Presumably that'll be the basement for the carpark. Im not sure if they'll build the core first then do the floors. They didn't use that technique with Jury's Inn either the core was only about 3 floors above the current floor during the construction process if that makes sense.
It'll probably go up floor by floor but with the core only a couple of floors above it, rather than building the core to it's full height then building the floors.
It's hard to tell unless they release info on the construction process of the project.
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM   #76
Furrydice

Likes (Received): 5

The EP are doing a series this week on the new developments in the city.

Today's article mentions Southreef

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/di...pNodeId=133951

It talks about a 5* star hotel. Dont know if its just the Post getting its facts wrong but this was never part of the approved scheme. The city desperately wants a 5* star though so perhaps they are losing the office space for this??
Furrydice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM   #77
danz013
Robin Hood

Furry, I've read this and didn't bother posting because I thought it was nonsense. I don't mind them finally covering developments like this but they need to get their facts right and do this more often. People want to know about this stuff and that is clear, we have loads of guest on the forum viewing, we have loads of members who sign up looking for more info.

These evening post people need to get us to do a weekly supplement to talk about development in the city (and when you guys from evening post read the forums today.. which we know you do!.. i am not joking when I say that... i'd do it for free!). They have no idea what they're talking about and always seem to get things twisted.

Southreef has NO hotel - It is apartments, offices, a few shops and restaurants.

They've also got a section for the Trent Bridge Stand, CCAN, (In which it talks nothing about the lace panels and calls is a glorifies shoe box?), River Crescent, and Trinity Square, In which it still believes curry's are signing up (even though the evening post previously reported dixons had pulled out) It calls it a courtyarded scheme and says very little about the restaurants, car parking, or the square itself.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM   #78
mph12

Likes (Received): 13

Reader comments
These monstrosities are going up everywhere - there's a rabbit warren of flats being constructed in The Park Estate off Lenton Road - resplendent with uPVC windows it looks completely out of place. A grade A carbuncle if ever I saw one & rumour has it the result of a very "cosy" relationship between the City planners and a firm of architects whose plans in the Park always receive approval. Disgraceful.
Bob, The Park

The new developements in Nottingham city centre and the areas around the centre and along the river banks are ugly monstrosities, i cannot believe this is called architecture they look like cycle sheds and plastacine sheeting. All our beautifull buildings gone forever , all they needed was someone with imagination to bring them back to life .
Ann Worthington, Bilborough

237 flats for Canal Street. Great. Where will they find the mugs to buy them? There is already a massive number of unsold/unsellable flats in Nottingham. If any flats do manage to sell these days, they are going at prices a long way below what they were a couple of years ago. I hope the developers go bankrupt
R Hood, Sherwood Forest

I've heard that new developments include: concrete bunkers for normal people to shelter from flying bullets; sniper towers so that the drug gangs can pick each other off more easily; gladiator arenas where the residents of St Anns and the Meadows can fight it out to the death watched by thousands of cheering spectators; and new benefits offices combined with crack houses so the druggies don't have to walk around with all that cash.
student, nottingham

The residents seem upbeat about things

Live Map
mph12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:50 PM   #79
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 408

You could be standing on the top of the Victoria Centre throwing out free fifty quid notes to everyone passing below and Evening Post readers would write in to complain about the litter...
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM   #80
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 559

theres a handful of people who constantly write negative stuff in the post - they have to be the most boring bastards going
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: