daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #81
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

it's one reason i like urbanity!

and i don't see what the big deal is, he started the thread and now he turned the conversation to talk about trees. off-topic happens all the time and it's not like a flame war or anything. but wuteva
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #82
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 164

I remember long time ago when I first moved to Seattle and read Seattle Times that Paul Allen wanted to build a shopping mall in South Lake Union neighborhood. I haven't hear anything about that since. Anyone knows about this? Is this project still alive or what?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #83
taiwanesedrummer36

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I remember long time ago when I first moved to Seattle and read Seattle Times that Paul Allen wanted to build a shopping mall in South Lake Union neighborhood. I haven't hear anything about that since. Anyone knows about this? Is this project still alive or what?
Yeah, like that's going to happen!

There is just no feasible way a shopping mall is going to be built down there. There's just not enough development that has occured or is dense enough to support a shopping center occupying a city block or two (assuming). When did you hear of this?
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #84
tablemtn

Likes (Received): 69

With the strength of the Canadian dollar, I'd expect cross-border shopping trips and purchases to rise. Bellingham gets the benefits first, but we'll see how much of it trickles down into Seattle.
tablemtn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #85
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1456

i am going to the seattle outlet on friday!

yay

if anyone likes shopping talk there is a forum for Seattle-Vancouver google "mallvibes"

anyway I heard there is going to be a Saks 5th ave in bellevue square - is it taking over one of the dept stores or are they building more mall for it?

and there is rumour of a large mall in Blaine - mainly aimed to Canadians - anyone hear that one? something about going on indian reserve land
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #86
spongeg

what if they were to develop a mall like walnut creek in the bay area? in south lake union... or any area in seattle
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #87
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
i am going to the seattle outlet on friday!

yay

if anyone likes shopping talk there is a forum for Seattle-Vancouver google "mallvibes"

anyway I heard there is going to be a Saks 5th ave in bellevue square - is it taking over one of the dept stores or are they building more mall for it?

and there is rumour of a large mall in Blaine - mainly aimed to Canadians - anyone hear that one? something about going on indian reserve land
I really doubt the possibility of a large mall in Blaine. If you have driven past the Peace Arch Outlet Mall a couple miles south of Blaine, you know what i'm talking about. That mall is so.......just.........GHETTO (I know I said I wouldn't use that word anymore, but it really is)! The entire mall is vacant. Anyway, a drive down to Bellis-Fair or even the Seattle Premium Outlets isn't that bad, with the Canadian Loonie so freaking strong.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #88
jiggawhat?

Likes (Received): 69

tiwaneese.....the outlet mall which was known to be the peace arch outlets is now the birch bay square. They have completely redone it and it looks good.
jiggawhat? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM   #89
sequoias

http://birchbaysquare.com/ Here's the link of the new one that moved to a different location. I read that Peace Arch lost lot of stores and they moved away because of less people shopped at Peach Arch outlets, now they only have few stores open. It seems they're redeveloping the area to attract more people again with more general stores, not just factory outlet stuff.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM   #90
spongeg

yeah the one half looks nice and the other is still needing a makeover

I drove past last week

looks like they have or are adding a hotel, bobs burger n brew will be there soon as well as a grocery store

Yeah I can't imagine Blaine being home to a huge mall but there has been talk up here about something going on in Blaine - of all places

maybe they could add a Trader Joes - trekking to Everret to get a trader joes fix sux
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM   #91
taiwanesedrummer36

That's right, I forgot they changed the name. I haven't been to Vancouver in almost a year.

There is absolutely no way Blaine can support any major growth of any kind. The strong Canadian Loonie cannot last that long, and once the Canadian dollar busts, Blaine might become a ghost town. I mean, Canadians in Vancouver already have plenty of (cheap) retail and living opprotunities, especially in suburbs like White Rock, Surrey, Langley, and Abbottsford.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #92
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 1119

Trader Joe's opens in Bellingham soon, so no drive needed to Everett. Opening on the corner of James. St. and Alabama.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #93
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 1119

Back on to the shopping centers. If anybody has been to Factoria lately, they have drawings and diagrams up showing the changes that are going to take place, without any specifically named tenants. However, these signs have been up for quite some time, and there hasn't been much news lately about when this will be occuring. Anybody else heard anything else?
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #94
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 668

I've heard that the 400 housing units at Factoria might start soon. Anyone keeping an eye on it?
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #95
spongeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Trader Joe's opens in Bellingham soon, so no drive needed to Everett. Opening on the corner of James. St. and Alabama.
hot
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #96
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesedrummer36 View Post
Yeah, like that's going to happen!

There is just no feasible way a shopping mall is going to be built down there. There's just not enough development that has occured or is dense enough to support a shopping center occupying a city block or two (assuming). When did you hear of this?
That was over two years ago. I have been living here for almost three years now. Wow time gone fast by! Anyway, last time I heard that Paul Allen wanted to build around four stories shopping mall at somewhere in South Lake Union neighborhood. He didn't release the details of it and exactly location it would get built. I have a feeling that he might want to build it right next to S.L.U.T.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #97
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Back on to the shopping centers. If anybody has been to Factoria lately, they have drawings and diagrams up showing the changes that are going to take place, without any specifically named tenants. However, these signs have been up for quite some time, and there hasn't been much news lately about when this will be occuring. Anybody else heard anything else?
After reviewing development plans for Factoria on the city of Bellevue's website, I have a guess that Bellevue plans to turn that area into an urban village. I remember images that showed pedestrian bridges connecting several mixed-use buildings at least 4 or more stories tall along Factoria Blvd.
Check it out....
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #98
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

Sorry to bring up the tree thing again but no one answered my questions.
Are trees cut down for development used for timber?

Is the shopping center situation pretty much the same in Portland?
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #99
citruspastels

shopping? portland?

portland is all house parties and biking. damn hippies (coming from a seattlite, that's saying alot) ;-)

not really a shop-till-you-drop kinda place in my experience. some fun shops around downtown though. they don't have any sales tax, which is kinda neat.

but yeah good question about the trees. i'd assume sometimes it is used as timber if there is enough of it.
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #100
seattleist

Likes (Received): 4

To answer your question (and hopefully this will be the end of it): of course trees cut down for development are used for timber. Mature trees can be worth tens of thousands of dollars each, especially cedars.

A heavily wooded lot may be assessed by a professional to estimate the worth of the trees on the property. A tree's height can be estimated using simple trigonometry, the circumference of the tree is measured, and the market value of each type of wood is then applied to an equation to estimate the value of each tree.

Again, though, there are not many heavily wooded lots for development left in the area, and it is discouraged to cut down too many trees during development. For instance, I think the Redmond Ridge/Trilogy master planned community was able to keep around 60-70% of its original trees.
seattleist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle