SkyscraperCity Forum banner

One Commercial Street | Aldgate | 84m | 21 fl

124K views 397 replies 123 participants last post by  archoptical 
#1 ·
There's been some activity on this site for the last couple of days.

It looks as though a trench is being dug around the entrance to Aldgate East underground station, which sits on the corner of the otherwise vacant site. Hopefully this is some kind of preparatory work for the new building.

The building is by John Seifert and partners and is to be a 17-floor office block. There seems to be just one outline drawing of it:

It doesn't tell us a lot though there are some further drawings online at Tower Hamlets's planning website, http://194.201.98.213/WAM/findCaseFile.do?appNumber=PA/02/00074&action4=Search

See less See more
#5 ·
^^^ Not sure...I recall this little project at the time it was approved and wondered what had happened to it.

#60 ·
#12 ·
There's been some activity on this site for the last couple of days.

It looks as though a trench is being dug around the entrance to Aldgate East underground station, which sits on the corner of the otherwise vacant site. Hopefully this is some kind of preparatory work for the new building.

The building is by John Seifert and partners and is to be a 17-floor office block. There seems to be just one outline drawing of it:

It doesn't tell us a lot though there are some further drawings online at Tower Hamlets's planning website, http://194.201.98.213/WAM/findCaseFile.do?appNumber=PA/02/00074&action4=Search
I hate to be negative, but it's more likely to be part of the Aldgate East tube station work that is going on at the moment. They were on the site a few weeks back cutting up steel wires and making mesh boxes for reinforced concrete which they carried off into the tube station.

#19 ·
I fear you may be right, though I took a shot from a colleague's office window this afternoon and the excavation looks rather over the top for the Aldgate East refurbishment. If they go much further they're going to catch a train to Barking.

#14 ·
The two storey building left of the ugly lloyds has an interesting feature at the moment, for those who care about history, the banner has been punched through and 4 different banners from different eras are masquing the preceding one. Not significant for many but i find fascinating of what survives behind facades and shop banners, if you pass by, check it out.

Also, the new glass/metal tube station on the opposite site has been covered and protected as if something was going to be built close to it.

#15 ·
I find that interesting...without sending us off topic, I once saw some old underground station poster adverts pealed right back to a 'War Bond' advert!

Perhaps somebody who is nearby to this site could ask what is being constructed?

#21 ·
Nice image for orientation

#25 ·
if we end up with what the drawings indicate and it is built to high standards, i think that this building will be a definite plus to this old gateway to the city. the height is a well judged step-up to the big boys in the city from the residential and commercial victorian legacy to the east and immediate south (eg leman st).

this area has been sadly left with no focus and no cohesion by the 20th century - maybe this building is the start of redressing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.