search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Galleries and Creative Corner > Showcase Gallery

Showcase Gallery Have your own photos of India? Showcase them here

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #1
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Sudheesh Nair's Mysore Photos

Planned a trip to Mysore during the Deepavali holidays. Landed in Bangalore on 7th Nov night. My flight was delayed by one hour and I reached my Apartment near Airport by around 11.30 PM.

The Mysore Trip was planned on 9th and 10th. It was suggested by another SSC forumer Robin (We became friends through SSC). It was a little after 12 noon on 9th November we started from Bangalore. Four of us, Robin & wife, myself and my wife were in the touring team.

We enjoyed the trip well. It was a nice drive for two days in Robin's Santro. I liked the state highway SH 17 between Bangalore and Mysore which is four laned. The distance of about 150 km can be covered easily and comfortably in 2 hours. There are junctions and towns in between, with speed breakers & humps also. But overall it is a comfortable drive.

The places we visited were the Krishna Raja Sagar dam over river Kauvery, Brindavan Gardens, Chamundi Hills, Sreerangapatna and Ranganathittu bird sanctuary.

I had carried a KODAK Easy Share 330 camera as well as my mobile Sony Ericsson k750i. Kodak was meant for personal moments while k 750i was used for the highway and other city shots meant for SSC. Robin had another Sony digital cam, had taken pics also, hope he posts it all in the forum.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs; November 14th, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
sudheeshnairs

The drive starts from Bangalore..Airport Road, at about 12 noon

Turn to 'Mysore Road'

Its peak noon, so sun/light is strong and against the frame as we are moving in the south west direction, hence the hazy effect in photos..

Over Kalasipalayam flyover, would be second longest one after Hebbal flyover.

Stop for fuel at a SHELL fuel station

A complimentary windscreen wash..

Now entering the Bangalore-Mysore state highway SH 17..

Old November 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 340

3 Cheers Sudheesh!

Mysore is a charming place with princely palaces and architecture. Fast becoming an IT centre and a twin city of Bangalore. I last visited Mysore in 2003. It had a single line railway connection and an intermittently 4 laned highway to Bangalore at that time. Things must have changed much in 4 yrs time, I presume. The NICE Corridor must be a big leap in infrastructure.

Waiting for more pics!
scorpiogenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
bflychaser

Likes (Received): 0

Sudheesh

You have a classic way of presenting... Good job so far. Couldn't wait to hear more. Right now I am stranded at the toll gate. Please take me to Mysore. thanks.
bflychaser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #5
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflychaser View Post
Sudheesh

You have a classic way of presenting... Good job so far. Couldn't wait to hear more. Right now I am stranded at the toll gate. Please take me to Mysore. thanks.

hahahahaaa...lol..

B/w do we have Toll gates on the Mysore Road? I thought it was a toll-free road. So we will be having toll both on NICE corridor and Bangalore-Mysore Highway? Thats not fair..
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #6
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 812

SH-17 is a toll-free road.. its a world bank project
robin_a_p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #7
sudheeshnairs

Highway is pretty good to cruise at 100-120 kph.

Here SH 17 meets BMIC. There was an interchange under construction here. We just drove past it.

Btw we didn't stop for any photo. Just clicked it on the move. I clicked with one hand, even when I was behind the wheel, keeping above 100kph..

I was not sure about the need for speed breakers/barricades like this. There were some along the route, with some humps also.

But for a person who is used to driving at speeds up to 100-120 kph in congested two lane highways, driving here is not an issue.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #8
sudheeshnairs

Thanks for the comments scorpiogeni and bflychaser.

BTW scorpio, bflychaser was using an ornamental language. Sure, we will take you to Mysore..

Ya, as Robin said SH-17 is a toll free road. Mysore is gifted to get two nice highways, one of them toll free. Those who want to burn rubber would be getting BMIC soon..

Scorpio, we did see some electrification going on the railway line close to Bangalore. And some doubling works till Mysore.
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #9
sudheeshnairs

The water theme amusement park 'Wonderla' is near. You have to take a right turn a little ahead from here. The skywheel was visible from the highway.

The shoulders were not good always. But in some stretches you would be getting three lanes in one direction.

Noticed that most of the heavy vehicles won't budge from the right track, forcing you to overtake from left.

Nearing Kengeri town. Even though it is barricaded, sometimes people jump across. On the right side it is part of the town. You can also see a foot overbridge ahead..

Old November 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Illusionist
India under construction.

Likes (Received): 1560

looking forward to see more pics..
great updates
Illusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #11
sudheeshnairs

Thanks Indrajaal..

We move on...Kengeri is just about 12 km from Kalasipalaya. From here it is 33 kms to Ramanagara.

'Brand Bangalore' is being extended to Ramanagara, touting it as Bangalore South City. Ramanagara is the constituency of ex Chief Minister Kumaraswamy.

I was going through the distance log book I had prepared for the trip, from the car's odometer. As I said earlier, it is 33 km from Kengeri to Ramnagara. Then I checked the time stamps in the photos from my cam. 1.31 PM, reaching Kengeri, then 1.41 PM approaching the entry gateway of Ramnagara, 1.49 PM at the exit gate. I am not sure at which point I noted the distance, anyway if we take the exit gate timing, the time taken was 18 minutes for a distance of 33 km. So the average speed works out to be around 110 KPH.

The synonym given to Ramanagara is 'Silk City'.

Robin had told that some large extent of land is being earmarked at Ramanagara for some IT development. Perhaps this 'Knowledge Park' would be a part of it.

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #12
sudheeshnairs

Now we are heading towards Mandya, which is at the 95th km from our zero km mark set at Kalasipalayam, Bangalore.

Old November 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #13
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Good job Sudheesh

Im eagerly waiting for the real Mysore pictures. As I told I had visited Mysore in 2003 as part of our college excursion. My wife (my love at that time) also with me... So some nice comfortable nostalgic memories associated with Mysore

Keep the pics coming!
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #14
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 319

Informative narrative....and wonderful pics
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13732

Looking forward to this trip..
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #16
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post

Robin had told that some large extent of land is being earmarked at Ramanagara for some IT development. Perhaps this 'Knowledge Park' would be a part of it.
not the right place to post this.. but thought will fit into the context
http://www.rndindia.info/newslet/new...E%20R&D%20PARK

Quote:
Gandhi City, at Ramanagaram near Bangalore, is a 1,000-acre knowledge special economic zone (SEZ) project for advanced research and development (R&D). Gandhi City intends to raise $25 million through divestment of 5-10 percent stake and is in talks with global infrastructure funds like Singapore-based Jurong and Macquarie for this purpose. The promoters of Gandhi City are also likely to go in for debt financing to the tune of $100 million. The project is carrying a valuation of $500 million and Avendus holds the mandate for raising funds.
robin_a_p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #17
sudheeshnairs

Ya Robin, it definitely fits in to the thread. We get to know the places more in depth.. Thanks for the comments sun, arijeet and scorpio.

Mandya is the major town enroute. Perhaps, in future a bypass would be need for the this town as the traffic slows down here only. Anyway the road is wide enough, Robin told that this was indeed the 'bypass' which later grow in to a part of the town. S M Krishna, the another ex chief minister hailed from Mandya. Now the present Chief Minister Yediyurappa also has its roots in Mandya even though he represents Shimoga in the assembly.

As the traffic was dense I was not able to click any photos since needed both hands at the wheel and gearshift.

So after Mandya, we race on..

I liked this stretch. The topography became beautiful and green as we moved closer to Mysore. And yes, it is Kaveri delta.

We are at Sreerangapatna, the seat of Tipu Sultan.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs; November 16th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #18
sudheeshnairs

Sreerangapatna is just 15 kms from Mysore city centre. So as we leave Sreerangapatna, 'Welcome to Heritage City Mysore' greets us..

Canal carrying water from 'Krishna Raja Sagar' dam over Kauveri.

Coming to the end of the four laned highway. Mysore city centre/Palace is about 5 kms ahead.

The road cuts the Outer Ring Road. Turn left for Ooty & Calicut, and turn right for Infosys Campus, Mangalore, Madikeri and Nagerhole. (I had driven to Nagerhole during a trip to Wayanad through Calicut, from Kochi in 2001).

Two lane road to city centre

Old November 17th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #19
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 616

wow - really fun trip Sudheesh!! you guys must've had a blast...

awesome pics as always - can't wait to see Mysore now...

ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #20
sudheeshnairs

Yes, had a nice time, the drive, the climate, the stay were all good.

Mysore is not a congested city, laid back, with no highrises nor heavy crowds. For a Bangalorean, Mysore will give an ideal weekend break.

Our destination was Hotel Ginger, at Vasanth Mahal Road. We seem to have circled a bit in the city to find the Hotel. And it was not much easy as in Bangalore to communicate.

Now we seems to be at the backyard of the Palace. The city seems to be built around the Palace.

We are nearing our Hotel. Office of the Police Commissioner, Mysore is just ahead on the left.