daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
joamox

Likes (Received): 151

FJORDCITY | Tjuvholmen

- Island of Thieves
Click logo for Official website

Presenting Tjuvholmen. A project masterminded by one of Norway's most respected architects, Niels Torp.

In 2002 he conceived of this plan to turn an old industrial pier, adjacent to Aker Brygge, into a landscape of islands, canals and the latest in Norwegian modern architecture, housing top-end apartments, top-end boutiques, top-end office space and also a museum and a hotel, both top-end of course. The project also piqued the interest of starchitect Renzo Piano, who leaped at the opportunity to design the museum. Selvaag Gruppen and Aspelin-Ramm gruppen are the joint construction firms behind the project, which was originally named 'Utsyn'

Tjuvholmen is only the first part in a wider vision known as 'Fjordbyen' or the Fjordcity. The plan is to turn all the old industrial harbour areas in the inner city into new centres for commerce and recreation, as well as housing in general. The image below should help you to identify the Tjuvholmen project within this wider scheme.

For more information on other Fjordcity projects, click here

Akerodden

Construction Phase 1 (F2)

Construction phase one was completed in 2007, It is of mixed use, including apartments, office space and shops. The buildings were designed by Norwegian architectural firms Kristin Jarmund, Kari Nissen Brodtkorb, HRTB and MAD. Their designs were developed independently and only very loosely coordinated in the final stages, an approach that has resulted in much variety in the buildings' appearance. The city block is triangular in shape and is located on Akerodden, the part of Tjuvholmen closest to Aker Brygge. The streets surrounding the block are Lille Stranden, Bolette Brygge and Tjuvholmen Alle.

The building with the greatest impact as seen from Bryggetorget at Aker Brygge will be the cornerbuilding designed by Kristin Jarmund. The building uses so-called bubbledeck technology in its construction.

HRTB architects designed two buildings, both very similar in appearance and both 8 stories high, with 18 and 17 apartments respectively. HRTB architects have previously designed such works as Grünerløkka Studenthus and Porthuset.

Kari Nissen Brodtkorb has designed this building facing Olav Selvaags Plass, as well as the corner-building at Bolette Brygge and Lille Stranden. Brodtkorb has also designed buildings at Aker Brygge, more specifically Stranden just across the canal, or Dokken as it is known.

MAD (Moderne Arkitektur & Design) is behind this 8 story infill project which among other thing includes duplex apartments, i.e. apartments covering two floors.

Construction Phase 2 (F3, F1 North)

The buildings in this phase have been designed by Niels Torp and Finnish architectural firm Gullichsen Vormala Architects. F3 covers the southwestern part of Akerodden in a semicircular shape. F1 North completes the view of Tjuvholmen and its central allé from Bryggetorget at Aker Brygge. These phases were completed in 2008.

Construction Phase 3
(F1 South)

Construction Phase 3 includes a oval building designed by Niels Torp and an L-shaped building designed by Hammer Schmidt Lassen. Originally some of this building-mass was intended to house Tjuvholmen Hotel but these plans have since been altered. This is the last phase of construction on Akerodden and is scheduled to be completed in 2010.

Tjuvholmen Island

The "Flatiron" block (F7)

This will be the first block to be completed on the island itself. It is seperated into three different units:

Tjuvholmen allé 9 is designed by Dark architects and will be the first to be constructed on the island of Tjuvholmen. Construction is scheduled to start in 2009 and to finish in 2011. The building is intended for office space.

The next unit, Tjuvholmen allé 21, is designed by architects Hansen/Bjørndal. Its purpose is primarily residential and the facade has a distinct curve. Scheduled completion is for 2012.

The last unit facing west is designed by architect Jensen/Skodvin. It is also scheduled to be complete in 2012.

Tjuvholmen Museum Complex (F4, F5, F6)

The museum complex will be designed by Renzo Piano and house, among other things, the Astrup-Fearnley collection of modern art, which is currently on exhibit at a different venue in Oslo. The collection includes works by Andy Warhol an Jeff Koons. The concept is being developed in co-operation with Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen. The complex will also include a so-called event centre or Exploria, developed in co-operation with Event Communications Ltd., London. In addition to this, an observation tower is planned built.

The museum will span over a canal to the small island of Skjæret. The plan is to have a sculpture park on the island. The artists to be included are Anish Kapoor, Franz West, Louise Bourgeois, Peter Fishli & David Weiss, and Ellsworth Kelly, to name a few of the planned works. The island will also have a small beach for swimming.

Tjuvholmen Hotel + adjacent blocks (F8)

According to the new plans, the hotel will be on the opposite side of the canal, and will only be built in the later stages of construction. The original design by Hammer Schmidt Lassen will be used for mixed office/residential use only. The hotel will be run by the chain Choice hotels, and designed by Mellbye Arkitekter.

The block will also include two additional units. These will not belong to the hotel. The architects are HRTB for the unit immediately adjacent to the hotel and Lof architects for the curved facade (Landgangen 3). The block is expected to be complete in 2013.

Remaining construction Phases

The two blocks at the furthest end of the island (F7) have been designed by Torstein Ramberg (Kavringen Brygge 2-4) and Lund Hagem (Kavringen Brygge 3). Both are scheduled to be complete in 2013. The Lund Hagem block will also include a seperate unit by Jensen & Skodvin (Kavringen Brygge 1).

The last construction phase will consist of four blocks located behind the hotel block as from the perspective of Aker Brygge. The first two of them will be designed by Narud Stokke Wiig and Torstein Ramberg. The remaining two are by Hammer Schmidt Lassen.

Learn more about Historic Kristiania. Buy my Book!

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr

Galro liked this post

Last edited by Þróndeimr; July 26th, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: La inn to bedre oversiktsbilder øverst
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #2
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 186

Nice tread Joamox. Good idea as well. Lots of things going on on Tjuvholmen at the momement.
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #3
muster

Likes (Received): 112

Nice. I have been thinking of an own Tjuvholmen thread myself. When the development starts,I guess we need own threads for Sørenga, Filipstad, Barcode etc aswell..

PS! For my photos, you can send my royalty money to bank acc: 0666 10 11111

muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 11

I just love this project!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #5
joamox

Both Muster and I have been following the development with our camera

Photos by Muster: Construction phase 1 seen from the north

Construction phase 1 and 2 as seen across Pipervika.

Some of my own photos: August 2007 - Construction Phase 1 nearing its completion

From the north, Construction Phase 3 is already making visible progress

At the opening of Tjuvholmen phase one, our field reporter Muster was at hand with his camera. August 23, 2007

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr

Last edited by joamox; May 2nd, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #6
joamox

Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
Nice. I have been thinking of an own Tjuvholmen thread myself. When the development starts,I guess we need own threads for Sørenga, Filipstad, Barcode etc aswell..

PS! For my photos, you can send my royalty money to bank acc: 0666 10 11111

I suggest you contact Tjuvholmen AS directly for your money. Also, tell them they owe me as well for all the efforts we take to promote them.

I was also thinking about a barcode thread but Im not excited enough about that project to bother

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #7
muster

This thread keeps getting better. I`m not sure if I agree this is more exciting than the Opera or the Barcode projects, but dont mind that, it`s great anyway!

But what I miss though, in the intro-post, is some words and a map showing that Tjuvholmen is a part of the Fjordcity project. I think it also would be nice if there was a link to the great Fjordcity-thread. And maybe (Northstar?) a link in the Fjordcity-thread to the Tjuvholmen-thread. That would be sooo great

Its fantastic with some nice threads while we are waiting and waiting for some action in the city development...
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #8
wolkenkrabber
Expert

Likes (Received): 2

looks like a really nice place, kinda reminds me of luxparken in stockholm....

btw, dues tjuv mean thief in norweigan as well?

who got the keys to the jeep?

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
wolkenkrabber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #9
muster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenkrabber View Post
looks like a really nice place, kinda reminds me of luxparken in stockholm....

btw, dues tjuv mean thief in norweigan as well?
Yes, tjuv means thief.

Do you have a link to some photos or renders of Luxparken? I havent heard about such a project in Stockholm..
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #10
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 3

Great initiative to start this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
I think it also would be nice if there was a link to the great Fjordcity-thread. And maybe (Northstar?) a link in the Fjordcity-thread to the Tjuvholmen-thread. That would be sooo great
No problem, I will edit the opening-post in the Fjordcity-thread I should really have been more active updating the opening thread there more often. I apologize for beeing just too lazy.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #11
safta20

Likes (Received): 0

I like what I see here. All buildings look different but they still look good together. I'll put Niels Torp in my mind. Oslo seems to have a lot of plots by the water that is vacant for residential construction right? That opens up for the opportunity to make Oslo look modern from the sea! It's interesting!
safta20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #12
joamox

Here are some images I believe have not been posted on SSC previously

From the official site of Kristin Jarmund Architects: The office building featuring so prominently in construction Phase 1. The building is the first in Norway to make use of Bubble Deck, which is a new concept in concrete constructions to make the bearing elements lighter with the use of air bubbles. It was invented by a Danish engineer and has been hailed as a great innovation.

From the website of Perry Frisor, which now have opened a salon in Bolette Brygge

Also now open at Tjuvholmen is a bookstore, of the Norli branch, and a new restaurant called Flukt. For more on this restaurant, check out their website here

Some Tjuvholmen trivia: Tjuvholmen already has the most expensive apartment ever sold in Norway. It went for 40 million NOK, that is €5 million or $6.7million, to an anonymous buyer.

Some more images, from www.bygg.no

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr

Last edited by joamox; November 4th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #13
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 6

Cool area, I really like it. It's got a good density and variation of the buildings which makes it interesting to look at
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #14
NiceGuy
Freedom will prevail

Likes (Received): 0

I went by the place today:
NiceGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #15
muster

3 photos from today:

Old March 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #16
muster

The restaurant chain Bølgen & Moi will establish at Tjuvholmen.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #17
joamox

Some information about Bubbledeck in this article, a new method used to save on concrete and make buildings lighter, employed first time in Norway at Tjuvholmen. Bubbledeck was invented by a Dane.

http://www.tu.no/nyheter/bygg/article55318.ece

In other news, it seems that neighboring Filipstad might join Tjuvholmen in having a museum of modern art.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2008/05/02/534177.html

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #18
sapmi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Sweet! Thanks for the pics!
sapmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #19
joamox

Just received an email from Tjuvholmen KS concerning building phase three.
No information about the buildings along Tjuvholmen alle, as they seem not to be considered part of phase three, but I can confirm that the so-called L-building is the one designed by Hammer Schmidt Lassen, but its not the hotel. It will be mixed office/residential, offices facing the street, apartments facing Filipstad. The oval building was, as was known already, drawn by Niels Torp.
The location of the hotel is not definite and will be built in one of the later phases, somewhere opposite the canal and the canal-bridge. No architect has been chosen as of yet and there is no definite time frame.

Additionally, here are some views of the interiors of building phase 2. Interior architect: Riss Architects.

OSL-ARC

Mexichino
Mexichino Flickr

Last edited by joamox; May 7th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #20
muster

Article in Dagbladet about the Astrup Fearnley museum and Renzo Piano. Nothing new really, but it has this great photo of Tjuvholmen:

Here are two photos from my walk to Tjuvholmen today. Seems that phase two soon wll open for public

Tags
oslo