daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old January 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #101
dengilo

Likes (Received): 776

Why in the world would they need a LRT system from air keroh to bandar hilir!!!All they need to do is upgrade the present road to 3 lanes and may be remove some of trafic lights!IT takes almost 30 min to drive the 17 km from town to the highway!!ON a slow good traffic DAY.
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #102
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 99

This is how our government spend the tax-payers' money!
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #103
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengilo View Post
Why in the world would they need a LRT system from air keroh to bandar hilir!!!All they need to do is upgrade the present road to 3 lanes and may be remove some of trafic lights!IT takes almost 30 min to drive the 17 km from town to the highway!!ON a slow good traffic DAY.
widening roads is not the only answer...

Besides, Melaka is a tourist place, so a monorail would fit in nicely with government plans to make it a tourist trap

Hehhehe I think that a monorail line from Ayer Keroh to Melaka Raya/"Pulau" Melaka would be far better than Ayer Keroh to Bandar Hilir...and it should link to a rapid tram line along the coast from the south end of the city to the north end. The Parking lot at Mahkota hospital becomes the interchange for the two lines...

the 3rd line would be an east-west Bus-rapid transit line, further inland.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #104
teckkang
Architect at KL

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengilo View Post
I totally disagree with you. WIDENING HIGHWAY IS NOT THE ANSWER!!! this will definitely encourage ppl to use cars, and all those cars end up overcrowding Melaka oldtown. THat's the least thing that I wan to see. Melaka oldtown was evolved organically in human scale, not motorised vehicles. N m i seriously concerned about the motorised lanes of Melaka oldtown, at anytime, Melaka most valuable assets (herritage buildings) are at risk of being destroyed by crash caused by motor vehicles, and safety of pedestrians in the old town is at risk as well.

There are only two ways in which Melaka government can go about this, revamp the aging and deterioting public transport system (rapid Melaka, maybe), or mini-monorail as mean to transport ppl into the city (but i think underground metro would be better since it won't spoil the existing cityscape as elevated monorail might be a little bit overpowering). I think the former suggestion will be the most viable one.

Another point is that (a litthe off-topic) All the old lanes of Melaka old town should be resurfaced with bricks and blocks (like that of in front DPMM) because this will discourage motor-vehicles from entering that area. and the car-parkings should be limited only to those staying there. cheers.

My Fotki Photo Page
http://www.fotki.com/alvinpoh

My Flickr Photo Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvinpoh/

Last edited by teckkang; January 14th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.
teckkang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #105
allurban
All Urban

instead of real blocks/bricks, it is better to simulate them

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckkang View Post
I totally disagree with you. WIDENING HIGHWAY IS NOT THE ANSWER!!! this will definitely encourage ppl to use cars, and all those cars end up overcrowding Melaka oldtown. THat's the least thing that I wan to see. Melaka oldtown was evolved organically in human scale, not motorised vehicles. N m i seriously concerned about the motorised lanes of Melaka oldtown, at anytime, Melaka most valuable assets (herritage buildings) are at risk of being destroyed by crash caused by motor vehicles, and safety of pedestrians in the old town is at risk as well.

There are only two ways in which Melaka government can go about this, revamp the aging and deterioting public transport system (rapid Melaka, maybe), or mini-monorail as mean to transport ppl into the city (but i think underground metro would be better since it won't spoil the existing cityscape as elevated monorail might be a little bit overpowering). I think the former suggestion will be the most viable one.

Another point is that (a litthe off-topic) All the old lanes of Melaka old town should be resurfaced with bricks and blocks (like that of in front DPMM) because this will discourage motor-vehicles from entering that area. and the car-parkings should be limited only to those staying there. cheers.
full agreement!

But, for your last point I would suggest that instead of using bricks/blocks, they replace the roads with concrete and simulate the appearance of blocks/bricks. A goode example is Jalan Masjid Kapitan Kling in Penang.

I fear that if they use bricks/blocks, things will be installed poorly, the blocks will get loosened, and it could be dangerous for pedestrians and cars as well.

If you have seen/know about the "SJ Uptown Street" you will know that blocks/bricks can turn into a mess if not done properly.

Cheers, m
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #106
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

why on earth nobody in malaysian government thinks of TRAM...?

should singapore do it first and than malaysian government will simply 'copy'...?

monorai,lrt,monorai,lrt, monorail, lrt.....bored already!!!

Last edited by OshHisham; January 15th, 2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: vocab error...
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #107
patchay

Likes (Received): 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshbgood View Post
why on earth nobody in malaysian government don't even think of TRAM...?
Once upon a time, there was a TRAM proposal for KL ...

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #108
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 110

Jalan masjid kapitan keling is not a good example. In fact many people complain about the bumpiness after they finished the job...it's really horrible ride on your car. Trust me...
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #109
teckkang
Architect at KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkdriver View Post
Jalan masjid kapitan keling is not a good example. In fact many people complain about the bumpiness after they finished the job...it's really horrible ride on your car. Trust me...
that's exactly why old towns need this, to discourage motorist from entering it. Im sure currently the authority has been preparing alternative roads that by-pass heritage zone of the city (Melaka and Georgetown).

I'll be pleased to see more pedestrians than cars and buses strolling in the old town no more gigantic tourist buses or fast moving cars zooming pass rows of old shop houses. In fact, slower traffic means livelier town (in this case pedestrians) and make trishaw the main transport in the old town. maybe melaka government can provide free bicycles to tourists.

My Fotki Photo Page

My Flickr Photo Page
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #110
teckkang
Architect at KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshbgood View Post
why on earth nobody in malaysian government thinks of TRAM...?

should singapore do it first and than malaysian government will simply 'copy'...?

monorai,lrt,monorai,lrt, monorail, lrt.....bored already!!!
tram is one of the cheapest ways, but after having seen many tram systems in europe cities, i think it's not as efficient as monorail or metro because it's sharing the roads with other motor-vehicles. It has to wait for traffic lights, and worst still is that it needs it's own lanes. so this means the roads hav to be widened or narrowed for this purpose. I think a revamped public bus service will do the job. and maybe bus lanes for important routes.

My Fotki Photo Page

My Flickr Photo Page
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #111
brain_failure

Likes (Received): 24

Monorel tingkat sistem pengangkutan di Melaka

Oleh Amirullah Andi Nur

TANDA RASMI: Tun Khalil menandatangani plak perasmian disaksikan Mohd Ali Rustam pada Majlis Perasmian Hotel Majestic Malacca di sini, semalam.

Projek mega RM1.5b dijangka ambil masa 6 tahun disiapkan

MELAKA: Projek monorel dirancang dibangunkan di bandar raya ini dengan kos dianggarkan bernilai RM1.5 bilion dalam usaha meningkatkan sistem pengangkutan dan menggalakkan pembangunan sektor ekonomi khususnya pelancongan di Melaka.

Ketua Menteri, Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam, berkata projek mega itu akan dimajukan oleh Pyramid Express Sdn Bhd milik Datuk Lim Sue Beng dan dijangka mengambil masa enam tahun untuk disiapkan dalam dua peringkat.

Katanya, syarikat berkenaan sudah menyerahkan kertas cadangan kepada Unit Perancang Ekonomi (UPE), Jabatan Perdana Menteri dan Kementerian Pengangkutan Rabu lalu dan dijadual mengadakan pertemuan kedua awal bulan depan.

"Menariknya mengenai projek mega ini, kerajaan negeri atau pun Persekutuan tidak mengeluarkan satu sen pun peruntukan. Apa yang saya dimaklumkan, kerajaan negeri hanya menyediakan tapak.

"Bagaimanapun kita perlu menunggu kelulusan EPU dan Kementerian Pengangkutan sebelum dapat melaksanakan projek mega ini," katanya selepas perasmian Hotel Majestic Malacca oleh Yang di-Pertua Negeri, Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob di sini, semalam.

Hotel klasik mewah yang menyediakan 54 bilik dan 150 kilometer dari Kuala Lumpur ini, dibangunkan oleh YTL Hotels and Properties Sdn Bhd dengan kos dianggarkan RM30 juta.
brain_failure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #112
teckkang
Architect at KL

Projek mega RM1.5b dijangka ambil masa 6 tahun disiapkan

MELAKA: Projek monorel dirancang dibangunkan di bandar raya ini dengan kos dianggarkan bernilai RM1.5 bilion dalam usaha meningkatkan sistem pengangkutan dan menggalakkan pembangunan sektor ekonomi khususnya pelancongan di Melaka.

Ketua Menteri, Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam, berkata projek mega itu akan dimajukan oleh Pyramid Express Sdn Bhd milik Datuk Lim Sue Beng dan dijangka mengambil masa enam tahun untuk disiapkan dalam dua peringkat.

Katanya, syarikat berkenaan sudah menyerahkan kertas cadangan kepada Unit Perancang Ekonomi (UPE), Jabatan Perdana Menteri dan Kementerian Pengangkutan Rabu lalu dan dijadual mengadakan pertemuan kedua awal bulan depan.

"Menariknya mengenai projek mega ini, kerajaan negeri atau pun Persekutuan tidak mengeluarkan satu sen pun peruntukan. Apa yang saya dimaklumkan, kerajaan negeri hanya menyediakan tapak.

"Bagaimanapun kita perlu menunggu kelulusan EPU dan Kementerian Pengangkutan sebelum dapat melaksanakan projek mega ini," katanya selepas perasmian Hotel Majestic Malacca oleh Yang di-Pertua Negeri, Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob di sini, semalam.

Hotel klasik mewah yang menyediakan 54 bilik dan 150 kilometer dari Kuala Lumpur ini, dibangunkan oleh YTL Hotels and Properties Sdn Bhd dengan kos dianggarkan RM30 juta.

My Fotki Photo Page

My Flickr Photo Page
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #113
allurban
All Urban

I hope they build this as a serious monorail and not play-play (like Sunway).

1.5 billion seems like a small amount for the length of this route...assuming a cost of about RM100 million per km....

so I hope they are really thinking carefully....about building real public transportation, not just something for the tourists.

Cheers, m
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #114
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1975

RM1.8b Aerorail plan for Melaka
by Nadia S Hassan, 28 Feb 2008 3:49 PM
THEEDGEDAILY

MELAKA: Little-known Pyramid Express Sdn Bhd is planning to build a RM1.8 billion Aerorail urban mass transit system in Melaka. In addition to the Aerorail system that would be completed in the next four years, the company is also planning to build a total of 10 hotels, all located at the stations along the track alignment of the Aerorail system.

“We are hoping to start construction in the next six months. We are currently seeking approvals from the relevant authorities,” said Pyramid Express managing director Datuk Lim Sue Beng.

Speaking at the groundbreaking ceremony of the first Aerorail Hotel and Station at Lebuh Ayer Keroh yesterday, Lim said that the state will provide the land while the company would fund and manage the project. Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam officiated at the ground-breaking ceremony.

Pyramid Express will build, operate and manage the Aerorail system, while technical and project management support will be provided by Pinggiran Pelangi Sdn Bhd, the local agent of US-based Aerobus International. If successful in its endeavour this will be the first system of its kind in Malaysia and Southeast Asia.

According to Lim, unlike monorail or light rail transit systems, Aerorail carriages are suspended from cables. He said that among the advantages of the Aerorail is its low-construction cost and low energy consumption.

All the hotels will be managed by Leisure Group Hotels & Resorts Sdn Bhd, which currently manages the Dynasty Hotel Kuala Lumpur and the Empress Hotel Sepang, among others. Both the hotels are part of listed Gula Perak Bhd, where Lim is the executive director.

According to Lim, the project will be carried out in two phases and will eventually stretch 18.4 km, starting at the Ayer Keroh toll plaza and ending at the Mahkota Medical Centre in Bandar Hilir.

Of the RM1.8 billion, the hotels are expected to cost RM500 million. According to Lim, the building of the second phase will only start after the first phase – which covers 9.6 km – has been fully repaid.

“Operational costs for the monorail are expected to be around RM600,000 per month. However a one-way ticket between Ayer Keroh and Bandar Hilir will cost only RM4.30,” said Lim. The Aerorail is expected to help ease traffic congestion in Melaka as well as cater to the booming tourist trade.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #115
allurban
All Urban

oh well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post

1.5 billion seems like a small amount for the length of this route...assuming a cost of about RM100 million per km....

so I hope they are really thinking carefully....about building real public transportation, not just something for the tourists.

Cheers, m
oh well...there goes that hope....

Cheers, m
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #116
Irwin

Likes (Received): 79

Is this an election gimmick??
Irwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM   #117
dengilo

Likes (Received): 776

There can be no doubt its a election sandiwara!!!
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:10 AM   #118
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1073

I dunno if anyone of ya remember.....last time I think Darjah 2 / 3 textbook got this Aerorail story because last time they proposed for KL. Anyway this Aerorail thingy is cheap but I dun think it is practical lah. Last time we had a thread (a long time ago) on Aerorail.......dunno if anyone remembered.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM   #119
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post

Cheers, m

Actually Sunway is not play-play actually, just that they have lack of stations and the location is not too good. The monorail at Sunway are as large as those Bombardier ones (maybe slightly smaller but almost the same) at Walt Disney World so they too could become serious people movers if implemented right. IN fact the monorail are used a lot by Sunway College and Monash University students to go to Sunway Pyramid.

In fact there are plans to add more monorail stations and the second monorail loop to the Sunway monorail (that interchanges with the Subang KTM Komuter station) but it did not materialised.
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM   #120
clarence

Likes (Received): 0

someone wrote a letter to the star newspaper:

Aerorail in Malacca – is this a right move?

WHEN it was announced that Malacca city would have a revolving tower and LRT or monorail, I was definitely intrigued by the proposal. After all, Malacca does need some improvements to public transportation and a revolving tower sounded like an interesting way to see this lovely historical city.

I am worried that the LRT or monorail would be designed with tourists in mind, instead of for the needs of Malacca’s population.

The Chief Minister recently announced the RM1.5 Billion “Aerorail” project, confirming that the urban transportation system that had been promised was not much more than a project for tourists.

The “Aerorail” is a name being given to the “Aerobus” technology built and marketed by Aerobus International.

The rail system is not an effective choice for an urban transportation system. What we have is a RM1.5bil “people-mover” system built to cater to the needs of tourists.

The design for the “Aerobus” shows a vehicle that is a combination of a cable car (like the Genting Skyway or Panorama Langkawi) and a small monorail system (like the Sunway monorail). This technology is interesting but largely untried.

There have only been two applications of the “Aerobus” so far. The first was a test line in Mannheim, Germany, and the other was at a ski resort in Quebec, Canada. Neither of these lines is still operating.

There is a tourist-oriented “Aerobus” under construction in Wei Hai, China.

Interestingly enough, the “Aerobus” was even proposed for Kuala Lumpur in the 1990s, but ultimately rejected in favour of the monorail.

I am not criticizing the Malacca Government for choosing the Aerobus system to build their “Aerorail” line for tourists. In fact, for a tourist-focused line, this technology actually makes sense.

However, what disappoints me is that the State Government has encouraged us to believe that it was building an urban transportation system to reduce traffic congestion in Malacca.

I am now concerned that the proposed “Aerorail” would do little to improve traffic congestion and also prevent a proper urban transportation system from being built.

The well-documented failure of the Las Vegas Monorail should be an example of what not to follow.

The last thing that Malacca needs is a poorly designed, costly, unpopular and unused system that only benefits tourists.

Also, what is going to be done to improve public transportation and traffic congestion in Malacca over the next six years, while the project is under construction?

Malacca still needs a properly organised bus system with decent, frequent service, as well as additional roads and flyovers to reduce traffic congestion in the urban areas.

MOAZ YUSOF AHMAD,
Subang Jaya.

theStar, March 1, 2008
clarence no está en línea   Reply With Quote