daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM   #161
Chi649

Likes (Received): 8

And the river should provide an excellent view as well. I can't wait for Aqua to start. BTW, thank you Spyguy for creating this image.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2007, 07:47 AM   #162
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

that shot has decades over decades of architecture... from the old-skool NY style scrapers to the 70s boxes to modern-day glass.... that's something no other city (except NY) can brag about...
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:04 AM   #163
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
that shot has decades over decades of architecture... from the old-skool NY style scrapers to the 70s boxes to modern-day glass.... that's something no other city (except NY) can brag about...
Uhh...what? Plenty of cities have very old skylines.
BalWash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM   #164
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 59

I think he's saying that very few cities have a complete "catalogue" like NYC of Chi.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #165
sl64

No cities were building as tall, as early as NY and Chi, so their older 'scrapers are more in keeping with the scale of future developments. In cities that grew in the latter part of the century, the older buildings are dominated by larger, newer buildings, while in cities that declined, the older buildings dominate the skyline and there are not enough significant newer buildings. Chi and NYC have the perfect balance. Just my 2 cents.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM   #166
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl64 View Post
No cities were building as tall, as early as NY and Chi, so their older 'scrapers are more in keeping with the scale of future developments. In cities that grew in the latter part of the century, the older buildings are dominated by larger, newer buildings, while in cities that declined, the older buildings dominate the skyline and there are not enough significant newer buildings. Chi and NYC have the perfect balance. Just my 2 cents.
Baltimore's Bank of America building stands over 500 feet and was completed in 1924. 1924 was the same year that the Chicago Temple Building was built as Chicago's tallest, standing less than 60 feet taller than Baltimore's Bank of American building. That 60 foot difference is mostly if not completely due to the Chicago Temple Building's crown. Detroit's Penobscot building was completed in 1928 and stands at 565 feet making it only 3 feet shorter than Chicago's tallest at the time. So yes, other cities were building talls very early too.

BTW, the Empire State Building was completed in 1931 and stands at 1250 feet and the Chrysler Building was completed in 1930 and stands at 1046 feet. Similarly, the Chicago Board of Trade was completed in 1930. Thus, from 1931 to 1965, NYC's second tallest building was 441 feet taller than Chicago's tallest. NYC's tallest was over twice as tall as Chicago's tallest. Only recently have NYC and Chicago been in the same league in terms of height of skyscrapers. Before the late 60s they were in completely seperate leagues, lets not mistake the facts by grouping them together.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM   #167
spyguy
Expert

^We're not talking about height. Every city has a couple of old skyscrapers, some tall, some short, but few cities have so many of these towers that are notable for their style.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #168
BalWash
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^We're not talking about height. Every city has a couple of old skyscrapers, some tall, some short, but few cities have so many of these towers that are notable for their style.
And according to some Chicago forumers, those few cities only include Chicago and New York; however, that is just not the case.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM   #169
spyguy
Expert

^Alright then, show me some skylines where you can find multiple prominent buildings from each style and decade that follow the entire history of the skyscraper, and not just a few landmark towers.
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #170
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 1

Any updated additions for this awesomely animated thread?

Welcome To The Whitehouse

the biggest house in college football
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #171
tigerboy

Likes (Received): 2

Just how stunning is that skyline going to look? I am so excited about going back now. So excited I'm like a child. What is so great for me is that the majority of the talls seem to be going up or planned for that area between the "shoulders" provided by the Hancock and the Sears which frame the skyline so well. It is really filling out and getting denser without - one hopes - losing that huge airy spacious feel that no other city matches.

I realise every city is building. i realise everyone says "Oh wait til 2012 or 2015" or take your pick but truly and honestly if it turns out like we all hope the Chicago skyline is going to be staggeringly gigantic and varied and wonderful.
tigerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote