daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Old January 31st, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 24

NEW YORK | 30 Park Place | 286m | 937ft | 82 fl | U/C

New thread, this old one can be deleted.

99 Church Street (286m /937ft /67 floors):

5-Star Power at WTC

January 30, 2008

The super-luxe hotel - the Four Seasons' second venture in the city - is expected to open in three years and will include a mix of swank hotel rooms and high-end condominiums in an 80-story tower at 99 Church St.
Designed by architect Robert A.M. Stern, the 912-foot-tall building will be the tallest residential tower in the city and is designed to serve as a bridge between the futuristic style of the planned Freedom Tower and the classic Woolworth Building on the same block.

"The task was an architectural challenge," Silverstein said of the effort to make the building fit in with its surroundings.

The Four Seasons, which already operates the city's most expensive hotel, on 57th Street, will include 175 hotel rooms and 143 condominiums in the downtown venture, which is being billed as the first five-star hotel in lower Manhattan.

It will be the first luxury chain hotel built downtown since the Ritz-Carlton opened at Battery Park City six years ago.

Construction of the hotel tower, clad in stone, will begin in June and is to be completed in 2011. By then, the five office towers at Ground Zero are expected to be nearing completion. Silverstein is building three of the new World Trade Center towers.

Silverstein said the arrival of the Four Seasons comes as the neighborhood is going through a transformation from a stodgy financial center that shut down at 5 p.m. to a mixed-use community brimming with new residents, stores and restaurants.

"Downtown has emerged as a prosperous community where the average household income is $242,000," Silverstein said.

Lower Manhattan is now home to 10 hotels with a total of 2,474 rooms. Officials at the Downtown Alliance said there are now eight hotels under construction, with a combined 1,972 rooms. Another 10 hotels with 1,700 more rooms are planned.

"The amount of investment pouring into downtown's hospitality industry is further proof that lower Manhattan is now New York's most desirable and dynamic destination," said Elizabeth Berger, president of the Downtown Alliance.

Kathleen Taylor, chief operating officer at Four Seasons, said Silverstein approached the company about three or four months ago to pitch the site.

The expansion of several financial firms downtown along with the booming residential nature of lower Manhattan was the key selling point for Four Seasons, Taylor said.

"The overall mix of what's happening in this exciting part of the world - exciting part of New York City - was really an attraction for us," she said.

The Four Seasons will go up on the site of the former headquarters of Moody's Corp., which has relocated to Silverstein's 7 World Trade Center. The site is now being cleared and construction of the hotel is expected to begin in June.

Silverstein will own the building and Four Seasons will operate the hotel and condos.

http://www.wtc.com/news/5star-power-at-wtc
* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." - In record numbers, city's residents say they 'love' New York

Highcliff, singoone liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; October 9th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

All of this can't be topped.

A supertall is totally hidden, along with several other new tall towers. From the other angles, you'll be able to see other new towers.

Don't forget - from that picture:
The Beekman Tower (75 fl)
123 Washington (50+ fl)
WTC Tower 5
WTC Tower 4
50 West St. (60+ floors)

Many others, and I am pretty sure that there's another 800 foot tall in the area going up now, but no know knows about it and there's not even one rendering currently.

Last edited by Ebola; January 31st, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:29 AM   #3
MDguy
Balto

Best Rendering ive EVER seen! The Area will be beyond worlds! I can't beleive it will look like this! Its gonna be great! I never imagined the area would ever look as amazing as it will! With ALL of these additions to LM, im pretty sure NY will reclaim worlds best skyline, well for me at least!
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 4

You know, I am glad it was by Stern. People today hate Postmodernism so much, any larger firm would have designed a blue box with awkward balconies...you know the style I mean. I liked that old 'fake' render better, but I guess it was irrelevent all the while. I am slightly concerned about this tower's relation to the shorter Woolworth - the one of the only perfect 10.0 buildings anywhere. I thought Stern's Mansion in Atlanta would be incredible, but the finished product was only average. This tower has a similar massing theme. Would like to see it from east/west angles.
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Zollern

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
All of this can't be topped.
A supertall is totally hidden, along with several other new tall towers.
Impressive indeed, but which supertall (over 1,000 ft) is hidden?
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6
TallBox

Likes (Received): 127

LM is once again, going to look AMAZING. I can't wait.

99 Church Street is also a welcome addition, and change from all the drab glass buildings going up elsewhere in the world.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7
TallBox

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollern View Post
Impressive indeed, but which supertall (over 1,000 ft) is hidden?
I think it's WTC4?
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM   #8
nygirl

Likes (Received): 219

Yep you should be able to see a little of 4 wtc right behind 3 Wtc

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #9
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
I think it's WTC4?
WTC is not a supertall, but is hidden behind WTC 3

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM   #10
eddie88

Likes (Received): 40

i love this building! and the render is beautiful
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Boogie
keep jaywalking

Likes (Received): 111

Future skyline looks great, but Stern's tower does not suit me at all.
Boogie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:02 PM   #12
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
WTC is not a supertall, but is hidden behind WTC 3
Its only 9 feet short of a supertall.
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM   #13
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 3991

i know

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM   #14
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 97

stick a tall guy and top of wtc4 and you'll have one.
xXFallenXx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:57 AM   #15
R@ptor
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 4297

Nice. It has a bit of a classical look which fits perfectly to all of Lower Manhattan's Art Deco skyscrapers.

My Flickr Account
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM   #16
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cadillac View Post
You know, I am glad it was by Stern. People today hate Postmodernism so much, any larger firm would have designed a blue box with awkward balconies...you know the style I mean. I liked that old 'fake' render better, but I guess it was irrelevent all the while. I am slightly concerned about this tower's relation to the shorter Woolworth - the one of the only perfect 10.0 buildings anywhere. I thought Stern's Mansion in Atlanta would be incredible, but the finished product was only average. This tower has a similar massing theme. Would like to see it from east/west angles.
Yes more renderings are in order, however my concerns where as yours, in so far as it's relation to the Woolworth, it looks to be cladded in materials similar in color and context to Woolworth, and the compostion seems to be complemetery to it as well, and best of all it's placement as far as the site will allow is also a plus, as not to overpower it.

I'm glad it was Stern as well, i don't think anyone else could pull it off, except maybe Johnson & Burgee.. When the renderings of Comcast center came out i thought "looks alittle bland" but now that its up, and in the context of the Philidelphia skyline it looks fantastic. (although, what the final thing that sold me on that tower was the "people in motion" sculpture in the lobby, and has little to do with skyline presence)

looks as though it pays homage to 20 Exchange place too....
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM   #17
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 153

fantastic, another very tall slender building to add to that amazing future skyline!
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 6894

It looks great, but a lot taller than 900 ft in these renders.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #19
Zollern

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
Its only 9 feet short of a supertall.
According to the WTC 2-4 thread WTC 4 is either 975' or 947' tall. Close, but no cigar.

Regarding 99 Church St it would be good if a render was provided by Silverstein or the architect showing the tower from another angle. The building appears slim in these renders, but that's all we've got to go on. We don't know yet if it is to be square or rectangular. To use an extreme example, the GE (ex-RCA at Rockefeller Centre) building looks quite different when viewed side-on to front-on.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #20
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 1640

the best thing of that building is that it's near the WTC
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 church st., 30 park, lower manhattan, new york, nyc