daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos.

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos. Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #21
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

I request the rule for crediting where found pics from be repelead, b/c there was no problem with this before and it's barely one right now, plus we don't need to place this just b/c SSP did this, which will make SSC a copycat of it.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #22
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,186
Likes (Received): 101

^These rules aren't being implemented so that we can be just like SSP, so please get past that strange mental block you have. These rules are being implemented because people rightfully deserve credit for their photos.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #23
Taller, Better
Administrator
 
Taller, Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61,657
Likes (Received): 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I request the rule for crediting where found pics from be repelead, b/c there was no problem with this before and it's barely one right now, plus we don't need to place this just b/c SSP did this, which will make SSC a copycat of it.
This is not being done to make us like SSP- this is being done to make ourselves more professional members of society. We are going to rely on you to responsibly credit where you found your pictures, in a normal professional way so that we can glance at the thread and know that it has been put in the right section. No detective work, no guessing, no esp..just a simple clear statement of credit. Acknowledging where I took a photo from, if it is not my own, has always to me been a most obvious and elementary thing to do. In the same way if I reprint a newspaper article, I quote the source and who wrote it, out of respect for the author, or the person who did the photography. It is an extremely easy thing to do, and those who post in this forum, from now on, are required to follow that rule.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #24
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

This is sort of similar to Hamas in no matter what land the Palestinains are given for their own, they would just want to have more, and that is making sure Israel never exists again.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #25
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,762
Likes (Received): 82



Please remind me of that at the end of the year. Quote of 2008.
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for fuck's sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #26
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,186
Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
This is sort of similar to Hamas in no matter what land the Palestinains are given for their own, they would just want to have more, and that is making sure Israel never exists again.
Oh puhleeeease. Why must you always resort to these Israeli-Palestinian analogies whenever you're trying to make a point? All you're being asked to do is provide the name of the photographer who took the photograph you posted. Spare me the histrionics.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #27
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

Consider the newly created Urban Showcase as the West Bank and Gaza Strip, which is probably from the photo contests. While you got your demand to have this, you want to change it so that the old way of posting pics must be changed as if you want your influence to dominate, which is what makes the photosnobs the Hamas. Another relation is refusing to listen to reasoning, which is why they are known to use acts of terror. Of course, since most of you aren't nerdy leftists like myself, I wouldn't be surprised if none of you got this analogy b/c they would understand it easily like I would.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #28
Kampflamm
Idai naru kōgan
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: راولپنڈی
Posts: 22,259

I think you should stick to posting WNBA news.
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #29
nygirl
Moderator
 
nygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,874
Likes (Received): 220

Yep and leave the "all over ny" tours to the folks that put in the leg work and don't need to credit anyone from google. Or you could still do your googled tours of NY's train stations and such but just add the photographers name to show credit. Not too hard to do that ya'know. If you want you can use some of my pics for your tours but you'd have to let me know which ones and of course give me credit. Also I wouldn't be able to let you have too many ( as I am doing the same tours and using the same pics) but I'd be willing to hand over your favorite 5 for each hood you do.
__________________
Completely attached to New York but completely in love with Chicago.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Taller, Better
Administrator
 
Taller, Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61,657
Likes (Received): 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
The "urban showcase" sounds like a good idea but it needs more traffic .
It is happening, slowly!! At first the traffic in the Cityscapes section was 10 to one... but more and more people are checking out the new section.
Eventually people are going to try having a look at the Urban Showcase and see all the amazing new threads there, and appreciate that these pictures were actually taken by our members!

Last edited by Taller, Better; February 17th, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #31
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

I say put it to a vote by the fourmers on whether the credit rule should be kept or not and decide by the majority, which shows true populism on SSC rather than elitism at SSP.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #32
Taller, Better
Administrator
 
Taller, Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61,657
Likes (Received): 6220

I think perhaps it is better that it be left as a decision made by the administration of SSC,
based on simple professional artistic acknowledgement of original photographs.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #33
nygirl
Moderator
 
nygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,874
Likes (Received): 220

How hard is it to credit century21 anyway?
__________________
Completely attached to New York but completely in love with Chicago.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #34
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

Taking your own shots isn't special, b/c anyone can do that, but hearing that there was a person who figured out how to do trigometric, logistical, and other calculus problems w/o a calculater is someone special, b/c that is one in a million.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #35
nygirl
Moderator
 
nygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,874
Likes (Received): 220

You make no sense. If someone taking their own shots isn't special why post at all? Screw pictures if were just going to bypass the person that took it to make it possible. I think you're really treading on thin ice with this one and you should let it go ( and consider your options). I completely disagree. I try to (as much as possible) credit the photographers and this new rule kind of reinforces that for me, and hopefully forces you to do so. It is courtesy to credit the author/ artist/photographer. Otherwise, one might assume you took the photograph. Come to think of it, I'd be pretty pissed considering all the gas money and leg work I put into my city and shots only to find out someone else may claim its theirs which is why I'm having my entire collection copywritten regardless of the quality. The same thing can be said of any photographer whose work is being used or portrayed as someone other than them. Taking your own shots is special. It may not be special to you because you apparently don't take any. It isn't special to you because while we go out and put in the time and effort you can just search google for the one you like best. There's no sweat/ or emotion involved with your method of producing a photograph so you really have no say in this at all. Why on earth should you, and why do you even feel the need to protest? Hydro your shots from the Aon are out of this world, the quality is sensational, the angle is rare, and the product is greatly appreciated by your fellow forumers. I'd like to think that if it is as special for us to view, it is as special for you to take.

Tal, give it up. This isn't Israel with the moderators and "photo-snobs" as you put them being hamas, and you the victim of their rules and regulations. It is a blog forum for the appreciation of skyscrapers, skylines, and cities in general and you should feel so lucky that they've been most lenient with you.
__________________
Completely attached to New York but completely in love with Chicago.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #36
Kampflamm
Idai naru kōgan
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: راولپنڈی
Posts: 22,259

The Urban Showcase forum had more viewers than the Cityscapes section today.
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #37
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,762
Likes (Received): 82

Cityscapes' frontpage still lists threads which were last replied to on Feb 17, while the Showcase only sees threads from today and yesterday. (At one AM!)
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for fuck's sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #38
Taller, Better
Administrator
 
Taller, Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61,657
Likes (Received): 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
The Urban Showcase forum had more viewers than the Cityscapes section today.
I know!! At one point there was well over twice as many viewers in the Urban Section!!

TalB, time to let it go. The forum has been split, and that is the way the cookie crumbles. If you are
not prepared to deal with the new and extremely simple rule to credit other people's photos when we swipe them off the internet, then we are sad to lose you as a contributor.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM   #39
TalB
BANNED
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,543
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
You make no sense. If someone taking their own shots isn't special why post at all? Screw pictures if were just going to bypass the person that took it to make it possible. I think you're really treading on thin ice with this one and you should let it go ( and consider your options). I completely disagree. I try to (as much as possible) credit the photographers and this new rule kind of reinforces that for me, and hopefully forces you to do so. It is courtesy to credit the author/ artist/photographer. Otherwise, one might assume you took the photograph. Come to think of it, I'd be pretty pissed considering all the gas money and leg work I put into my city and shots only to find out someone else may claim its theirs which is why I'm having my entire collection copywritten regardless of the quality. The same thing can be said of any photographer whose work is being used or portrayed as someone other than them. Taking your own shots is special. It may not be special to you because you apparently don't take any. It isn't special to you because while we go out and put in the time and effort you can just search google for the one you like best. There's no sweat/ or emotion involved with your method of producing a photograph so you really have no say in this at all. Why on earth should you, and why do you even feel the need to protest? Hydro your shots from the Aon are out of this world, the quality is sensational, the angle is rare, and the product is greatly appreciated by your fellow forumers. I'd like to think that if it is as special for us to view, it is as special for you to take.

Tal, give it up. This isn't Israel with the moderators and "photo-snobs" as you put them being hamas, and you the victim of their rules and regulations. It is a blog forum for the appreciation of skyscrapers, skylines, and cities in general and you should feel so lucky that they've been most lenient with you.
I could say that you're just fanning the flames like Ann Coulter, but then I would just be restating the obvious.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:46 AM   #40
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan
 
xzmattzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 13,294
Likes (Received): 1088

TalB, have you ever written a report for school or work? Did you have to include sources and citations?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu