daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old March 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 46

LEXINGTON | CentrePointe | ? FT | 19 FL | U/C

Yet another redesign as well as a height reduction for Centrepoint. But it appears the project is firmly set to begin construction in late 2013 or early 2014.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

This project has veered from pre-recession skyscraping monumentality to starchitect Jeanne Gang's rectilinear tubes and now a final, approved stylistic goulash from EOP Architects. No word on when this much-anticipated project will begin.

image hosted on flickr

Centrepointe Rendering - Lexington, Ky. by kaintuckeean, on Flickr

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As first proposed:

$250 million tower would reshape downtown
By Beverly Fortune, Herald-Leader, March 4, 2008

A massive $250 million construction project would add a 40-story tower to downtown Lexington and reshape one of the best-recognized corners in town.

The developers, the Webb Companies, said the project would include a major four-star, 243-room hotel, 77 residential condominium units and 38,000 square feet of retail space. It also will have a 10,000-square-foot restaurant on the top floor.

The glass-and-steel structure would be roughly as tall as the Lexington Financial Center, known affectionately as the “Big Blue building.”

The project’s developers said they plan to have the new building completed in time for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in fall 2010.

The project’s reach would extend beyond the block bounded by Vine, Main, Limestone and Upper, where it will be built.

The project, known as CentrePointe, would require 1,100 parking spaces. About 650 of those will be in an underground parking garage on site.

To accommodate the rest of the parking, the developer will take some land out of Phoenix Park at Main and Limestone. Overall, the size of the park will be reduced by about one-third, they said.

With that space, they will build two levels of underground parking, 15,000 square feet of ground-level retail and a four-level parking garage above ground. They will then restore the remainder of Phoenix Park at grade level.

On the north-facing wall of the new parking structure in the park, the developers plan to add a Jumbotron screen that would allow for public showings of movies and other events.

The screens would be viewable from the courthouse plaza along Limestone.

Developer Dudley Webb said his company already has an option to buy two Jumbotron screens that are being used at the World Cup in South Africa in 2009.

The project would rely on Tax Increment Financing, which has been used to finance other mega-developments in the state, such as Louisville’s Museum Center project. In general, the program allows developers to recoup large portions of their investment in mixed-use commercial, residential and retail projects by keeping the income and property taxes generated by the project over a 30-year period. The financing would require state approval.

All of the buildings now on the site would be cleared, an idea that already has sparked some controversy among historic preservation groups. Harold Tate of the Downtown Development Authority said he has received numerous phone calls from people interested in helping existing businesses relocate, but he said those businesses also need to seek out the DDA’s help.

The Lexington Farmers Market, which is currently held on Vine Street on the block, would be moved to another site in the Vine Street area, officials said.

The developers said they haven’t decided yet what kind of hotel will be in the building; that will be announced in the next few weeks.

Developers said they hope to have excavation completed and start laying the building’s foundation in mid-August.

Last edited by desertpunk; June 14th, 2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: new design!
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 5

Rendering:

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #3
madtony8k

Likes (Received): 0

I posted a thread of this building in the highrise section. The news said it will be 430 ft. The businesses need to relocate.. what if some of them are just placed in the tower? The only difficulty there would be closing during construction.

So is this view looking from the Main street side? It kind of looks like it, since there would be a bridge going to the nieighboring buildings. I know the block is historic, but that rite aid and parking lot is just ugly. This is an empty spot downtown that i've always wanted to be filled in. I can't believe it's happening!
madtony8k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
Lexcity

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture on here without using photobucket- it asks for a url when I go to post one.??
Lexcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #5
seicer
Historian, photographer

This is a view towards the corner of Vine and Limestone. The pedway will connect to the two-story retail/four-story parking structure that will be connected onto Park Plaza.

Park Plaza (where I live) began renovating the former cafe in January after it went out of business late last year. They suddenly stopped work and completely pulled out, and I surmised that the interested party dropped out. Now I know why -- since a retail and parking structure will be in front of the cafe, major works are planned and the cafe would have had to been closed at any rate.
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #6
madtony8k

gotcha..
I thought it couldn't be that direction because of the park.. but i guess the front of park plaza is kind of close to limestone, so if the parking garage is built there, it can be reached by pedway. I wonder if a pedway will connect the other side. If so, this will connect more of downtown to the pedway system.

I was asking so i could make a rough model of the building for google earth. It would let you get a good idea of how it will change the skyline if you can view it in 3d
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #7
seicer
Historian, photographer

Now @ Google Maps
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #8
Ian604
Captain

A few quick facts

Project Name: CentrePoint
Developers: The Webb Company (Lexington KY)
Height: Approximately 430ft. - 450ft. (131 meters - 137 meters)
Floors: 40
Scope: $250,000,000

Mixed use office, hotel, condo, retail

Though not technically a TOD the project will be located one block from Lexington's transit hub in which from which nearly all the city's bus route begin and end.

The tower will be the largest LEED certified structure in the Kentucky.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #9
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 3

How on earth can it be 40 floors but the same size as the blue building? Isnt it like 125 meters?
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #10
madtony8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweezerinc View Post
How on earth can it be 40 floors but the same size as the blue building? Isnt it like 125 meters?
I think that's everyone's first thought when they hear the height. Floors in residential buildings can be smaller. If it's up to 450 ft, it will look noticably taller than the blue building.

Ian604.. is there a website where you go your quick info and that larger render? I wanna check it out. Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Ian604
Captain

No specific site. That info was compiled from the city's website and various Herald-Leader articles.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #12
seicer
Historian, photographer

406 feet of glass and steel

406 feet of glass and steel
Project would fill downtown block
By Beverly Fortune, Herald-Leader, March 5, 2008

A massive $250 million construction project that would add a 40-story tower to downtown Lexington and reshape one of the best-recognized corners in town was announced on Tuesday.

The developers, The Webb Companies, said the project would include a major four-star, 243-room hotel, 77 residential condominium units and 26,000 square feet of retail space. It also would have a 10,000-square-foot restaurant on the top floor.

The 406-foot-tall glass-and-steel structure would be roughly as tall as the 30-story Lexington Financial Center, known affectionately as the "Big Blue building." It will have 10 more floors than the Financial Center because a hotel does not require the amount of infrastructure, such as duct work, between floors that an office building does.

The building has a stair-stepped look, with the first street-level section at four stories, then sections of 12 and 13 stories, with the main tower in the center.

Architects say this approach will help keep the street-level building in scale with nearby older buildings on Main Street.

Developers said they plan to pursue "an aggressive schedule" to have the new building completed in time for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in fall 2010.

However, on Tuesday afternoon, when the developers presented their project to the Urban County Council, councilman Dick DeCamp said of the timetable: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." DeCamp said this will be a "landmark project, right in the center of our downtown."

The city needs to go slow and give it a great deal of thought, he said.

Councilman Jay McChord praised The Webb Companies for their "vision and willingness to take risks, especially in the downtown."

The project's reach would extend beyond the block bounded by Vine, Main, Limestone and Upper, where it will be built.

The project, known as CentrePointe, would require 1,100 parking spaces. About 650 of those will be in an underground parking garage on site.

To accommodate the rest of the parking, the developer proposed taking land from Phoenix Park at Main and Limestone. Overall, the size of the park will be reduced by about one-third, said architect Charlie Barnhart.

With that space, the developers will build two levels of underground parking, 15,000 square feet of ground-level retail and a four-level parking garage above ground. The remainder of Phoenix Park will be restored and include public art.

Webb said Phoenix Park was built as a temporary park to dress up downtown as the city got ready to host the NCAA finals in 1985. He said he was committing $4 million to improve the park. People will get from the Phoenix Park garage to the hotel via a skywalk, Webb said later.

On the north-facing wall of the new parking structure in the park, the developers plan to add a Jumbotron screen that would allow for showing outdoor movies and could be used during the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, and for other events.

The screens would be viewable from the courthouse plaza along Limestone.

The proposed mixed-use project is expected to have a significant economic impact on the local economy, the developers said. It will generate approximately 2,500 construction jobs annually, for two years. After it is completed, approximately 919 jobs will be generated annually.

Asked whether the city needs another hotel, Webb said it needs a high-end hotel. When the University of Kentucky and local law firms want to put guests in four-star hotels, they take them to Cincinnati, he said.

Success of the CentrePointe hotel project relies on Tax Increment Financing, which has been used to finance other mega-developments in the state, including Louisville's Museum Plaza project.

In general, the program allows developers to recoup large portions of their investment in mixed-use commercial, residential and retail projects by keeping the income and property taxes generated by the project over a 30-year period. TIF funds would be used to finance public infrastructure.

Darby Turner, attorney for The Webb Companies, said the TIF application requires a public hearing for citizen comment.

The TIF financing requires approval by the Urban County Council and the state. Louisville has five TIF projects, Northern Kentucky has two. A separate proposal to pursue TIF financing for a new basketball arena in downtown Lexington is currently being studied.

Webb said there is a "very good chance" that the project could draw international investors. Webb is chairman of The Webb Companies; his nephew Woodford Webb is president. The company has built several buildings downtown.

All of the buildings now on the block would be demolished, an idea that already has sparked controversy among historic preservation groups, including the Blue Grass Trust and Preserve Lexington. Music enthusiasts also are concerned about existing businesses such as the Dame nightclub.

Hayward Wilkirson, one of the organizers of Preserve Lexington, said in an e-mail on Tuesday that "the thousands of Lexingtonians that are contacting us, believe that the spirit of this development can be altered in such a way as to preserve the vital historic resources that already exist on this block." A project that showcases cutting edge architecture married to the preservation of historic architecture will enhance Lexington's legacy as a cultural center, Wilkirson said.

Harold Tate, president of the Downtown Development Authority, said he has received several phone calls from people interested in helping businesses on the block relocate, but he said those businesses also need to seek out the DDA's help.

Mayor Jim Newberry said the city was going to work "diligently" to keep businesses currently in the block in the downtown area.

Councilwoman Andrea James asked whether the development would include affordable housing units. Webb said no, because land costs were too expensive.

Vice Mayor Jim Gray applauded the Webbs for "aspirational thinking" and daring to dream big dreams but said he wanted more time to study the project. At first glance, Gray said, he was concerned about its size and whether it was inviting at sidewalk level.

"My concern is scale. We have a small downtown. This is a big project," he said.

The Saturday Lexington Farmers Market, currently held on Vine Street on the block, would be moved to a nearby site, Tate said. Possible other locations are somewhere else on Vine Street, in front of the new courthouses, or around the old courthouse.

Webb said an announcement on which hotel franchise will manage the hotel will be made in the next few weeks.

Teaming up with the Webbs on the CentrePointe development is J.H. Anderson Holdings. John Anderson is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and a national and international hotel developer.

Developers said they hope to have excavation completed and start laying the building's foundation in mid-August. The last skyscraper built downtown was the Financial Center in 1987.

How tall is it?
Lexington Financial Center 30 floors 410 ft.
Proposed CentrePointe 40 floors 406 ft.
Kincaid Towers 22 floors 333 ft.
Louisville Museum Plaza 62 floors 703 ft.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #13
madtony8k

It's dissapointing that they would build something 4 ft shorter than the current tallest. I don't know where the news got 430 ft or where 450 came from??
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 35

Nice-looking tower!!
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Ian604
Captain

Thanks Tricia!
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #16
gt7834a

Hey Seicer,
What is the 'proposed highrise' on High that I see on your map? I don't remember seeing anything on this.
Thanks
gt7834a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #17
seicer
Historian, photographer

That's been often discussed here as something of a curiosity. There were rumors floating around for years about a mid-rise (I should correct that) on the parking lot next to Common Grounds. I haven't heard anything regarding it in over a year though.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Lexcity

Ian, can you tell me how to post a picture directly on this forum?
Lexcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #19
seicer
Historian, photographer

Blue Grass Trust 'disappointed' in downtown project

^ Host it on a place like Photobucket, then copy the URL of the image and use the [ i m g ] URL [ / i m g ] function (or click the image icon above) to post an image.

Blue Grass Trust 'disappointed' in downtown project
By Beverly Fortune, Herald-Leader, March 5, 2008

The Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation issued a statement Wednesday saying it was disappointed that numerous buildings that "most agree have historical significance to Lexington will be destroyed" by a redevelopment of the Main Street block with a 40-story hotel tower.

"We hope that as the plans are further developed and the input of all of the citizens of Lexington is received, that the plans can be revised to accommodate the preservation of these historic structures," the statement said.

The hotel, condominiums and retail space in the $250 million CentrePointe project would take the entire block bounded by Main, Upper and Vine streets and Limestone. Among the businesses on the block are The Dame music club, Buster's bar and Mia's bar and restaurant.

Julie Good, executive director of the trust, said earlier this week that Lexington's premier historic-preservation group advocates redevelopment of the block, but in a way that blends the new with the historical.

The trust said Tuesday that it hopes to be invited to discussions with developers and the public to explain its position.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #20
Ian604
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexcity View Post
Ian, can you tell me how to post a picture directly on this forum?
Like Seicer said if you get a photobucket account and you'll have an IMG option below the photo. Copy the URL in that box and paste it here and that should work. If it doesnt work get back to me and i'll try being more specific.

Tags
centrepoint, kentucky, lexington