daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Likes (Received): 1

Peel Holdings

A lot of people seem to have a lot of gripes about a lot of things that Peel Holdings have done/do in and around the Greater Manchester area.

What (if anything) do you admire or are pleased or are impressed with what they've done/do?

And what is it that you most dislike or are most disappointed by regarding their activities?
insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
ScouseinManc
Violently happy

Likes (Received): 36

I really do hope the 'Wirral Waters' scheme is pulled off. Wirral have always had a much better view across the Mersey than my fellow Scousers on the Liverpool side!
On a more serious note though, the Wirral waterfront is in dire need of investment & has been for many years, ever since the ship building trade ceased years back, the area has fell into total decline. Places like Woodside were once a hive of activity. Folk would commute to & from Liverpool via the ferry, for work 'over the water' or to work just down the road at Cammel Lairds. There was even a grand terminus railway station, where one could catch the train all the way down to Birmingham & on to London, until Dr. Beeching wielded his axe in the 60's. Further up the road in New Brighton, tourists flocked in their thousands to use the open air swimming pool, go on rides at the fun fair or just take a stroll down the pier. Now these places are a shadow of their former selves. If you take a walk around Birkenhead Docks, there are huge rusting cranes & boats, sad reminders of how grand the place once was. However, on a brighter note, there is room for so much potential & if Peel invest & undertake the transformation as they have said they would, the Wirral waterfront may again be busy with people & life, providing (and I do hope local) people with a much happier place to live & work & provide prospects for them for years to come.
To this end, I think the scheme is brilliant. I've looked over the renders & read as much information as there is to read & I really do like it. I so hope for the Wirral that this is pulled off. Given some of the Peel schemes I've seen so far (& i've also done a little business with them) I'm very impressed with them.
I am now looking forward to seeing the transformation of Wirral's waterfront. Come on Peel - show us what you're made of!!

Last edited by ScouseinManc; December 21st, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
ScouseinManc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

You would have to think that Peel, being a Manchester-based company would have to have the interests of Greater Manchester at heart.

The head honcho (Whitaker?) from a mill-owning family of Bury has obviously demonstrated that he is an outward-looking businessman. The irony of him coming from a mill-town (the folk that scousers always like to marginalise) to being the owner of Liverpool's two largest pieces of infrastructure, ie. the rapidly expanding airport and the revitalised docks ffs!!

You add that to the other massive projects in Peel's portfolio, namely the Manchester Ship Canal and the hugely successful Trafford Centre. It would seem that considering the way Salford docks went from Cinderella to Queen of the Ball almost overnight, it could be feasible for Wirral Waters to happen.

I have however, heard it mentioned that the Wirral thingy could be some sort of a political football, and the 'proposal' will be used for leverage purposes.
I'm sure though that redevelopment will eventually come to fruition in and around Birkenhead. Whether it will be as grandiose as what is touted as Wirral Waters will be anybodies guess. I suppose it depends on the scale and progress of the local Merseyside economy.
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Likes (Received): 0

I think Peel are great, really I do.

Few (if any) other companies have created quite as many new jobs across the region over the past 20 years. OK for most of these Peel were only indirectly responsible, but so what. The fact remains that without Peel, unemployment queues across Greater Manchester would have been much longer over the last couple of decades.

I could probably evangelise about Peel for paragraphs, but I won't.

Instead I'll leave you with Salford's mid 80's vision for Salford Quays. This was published shortly before Peel took control of the Ship Canal Company (and with it most of the land around the Quays). I’ll then leave you to makeup your own mind about what peel have done for our city.

As an aside, anyone know when a decision is due on the Forrest Park Racecourse?
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 308

Those plans look very similar to the way that the Preston Docks redevelopment turned out. Damn good job that yours didnt go ahead. Ours are pathetic.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6
b4mmy
ride the ripple

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Man View Post
I think Peel are great, really I do.
im glad you said it first cos i think they are brilliant... i never begrudge a man a living... top drawer
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:52 AM   #7
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy View Post
im glad you said it first cos i think they are brilliant... i never begrudge a man a living... top drawer
Hmm!
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #8
b4mmy
ride the ripple

Likes (Received): 193

Peel take a 10% stake in Shepperton Studios

Peel in Bond maker stake

PEEL Holdings, the property giant owned by billionaire John Whittaker, has taken a 10 per cent stake in Pinewood Shepperton, the company which owns the famous Pinewood Studios, home to the James Bond films.

The Manchester company, which is behind the landmark MediaCity:UK development on Salford Quays, which will be home to the BBC's northern operations from 2010, says the stake is `strategic' and fits well with its growing interests in the media sector.

But analysts believe that a bid is `entirely feasible', given that Peel needs to find occupiers for MediaCity and the attractive land assets held by Pinewood Shepperton.

One close watcher of Peel said: "Peel is definetely interested, but the price has begun to move up and it won't bid at this level."

Peel's stake had reached more than 13 per cent, but it sold three per cent of its holding last week, leaving it with 10.9 per cent. This holding is worth around £13m.

The news came as it emerged that Peel has raised £360m to fund the first phase of the ambitious MediaCity:UK development.

The first phase of the project will see the construction of office buildings, broadcast studios, post-production facilities, a hotel and residential apartments, as well as infrastructure.

Bank of Scotland is funding the deal and was advised by law firm Pinsent Mason.
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Metrolink

Peel

Given the amount of stuff they do around our area, some of which is not worthy of it's own thread, here is one.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r_golf_classic

Quote:
Salford tees off for golf classic

Neal Keeling
8/ 3/2008

A WORLD class golf course fit to host the Ryder Cup is being planned for Salford.

The championship course would be built on land close to the M60 motorway near Worsley under proposals drawn up by Peel Holdings, the developers of the Trafford Centre.

Once completed, the firm intends to bid for the rights to host the Ryder Cup between Europe and the USA, which would be worth more than £115m to the local economy.

The plans are more good news for Salford, coming after the BBC announced the city would be the destination for its big move north.

The broadcaster will shift five departments and 1,500 posts to theMediaCity site in Salford Quays. The development is expected to draw production and research companies that will be worth £1.5bn to the regional economy and provide up to 15,500 jobs.

Peel had already drawn up plans to develop Salford Forest Park on land around the Bridgewater Canal near Leigh Road, Worsley. The £100m scheme included proposals for a golf course, but senior bosses have now decided to submit a more ambitious plan to officials at Salford council.

One senior council source said: "The Ryder Cup is something Peel want for the course. If it was anybody else I would say it was a crazy idea - but it is Peel."

The current proposals for the golf course includes an 18 hole, par 72 championship course. A new clubhouse and practice ground is planned for the north side of the Bridgewater canal.

There is an 18-hole golf course at the nearby Marriott Worsley Park Hotel and Country Club. Peel owns the freehold on that but could not interfere with it as it is the subject of an 80-year lease.

The Ryder Cup is held every two years with the venue alternating between Europe and the US. The 2006 event held at the K Club in County Kildare, Ireland, generated about £115m for the local economy.

The only British course to host the Ryder Cup in the last 20 years was The Belfry, near Sutton Coldfield in the Midlands, where the competition has been held four times.

If planning permission is given for the course at Salford Forest Park this summer it will still be the subject of a public inquiry due to its size and because it would be built on green belt.

The inquiry would not be held for at least a year and, if approved, the scheme would take three years to build.

Plans were first unveiled six years ago and submitted for planning permission in July 2004. It stalled after the council insisted on changes to the proposals. It was resubmitted last year.

The development would create a leisure park, featuring a horseracing track and 6000-seat grandstand, a hotel, equestrian centre, and overnight accommodation and camping facilities.

It will be on a 1,690-acre site, owned by Peel.

Phil Rothwell, from Peel, said: "Any discussion of the Ryder Cup venue is pure speculation. We have a firm proposal for a high quality golf course which is part of the application being considered by Salford council."
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #10
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1599

Incoming fire! Take cover. Perhaps the Grand National should be moved to Forest park as well. (joke)

I have to admit for every negative agenda they pursue, they counter that with a positive one.

Sounds like a great idea and should have no problems getting through planning and overcoming residents concerns/objections. (house prices will rocket in that area) Buy now.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Metrolink

My only comment I'll make on their negative side in this thread, but the fact that even they will not fund Metrolink extensions does show how adverse private companies are to investing serious money in such schemes.
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #12
jrb
10th February 2008

Carrot and stick springs to mind.

The majority of residents in Worsley are opposed to the racing track, (apparently) but would no doubt welcome a Ryder Cup golf course on their doorstep. Salford Council and local business would love them both.

Peel are playing very clever mind/games. Slow, slow, drip on their proposals.
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #13
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

The MEN and Peel love-in continues.
Can they get any further up Peel's arses i wonder?
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #14
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
The MEN and Peel love-in continues.
Can they get any further up Peel's arses i wonder?
Welcome back Eddie. (asking about you the other day)
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Metrolink

You do have to wonder how that article came about.

How on earth they can go from golf course being built to hosting the Ryder Cup I don't know.

Having said that, did holding the Ryder Cup in Newport a couple of years ago do that much for Newport?
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #16
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink View Post
How on earth they can go from golf course being built to hosting the Ryder Cup I don't know.
Having said that, did holding the Ryder Cup in Newport a couple of years ago do that much for Newport?
The Ryder Cup is now being rotated around Europe and with the crowds it generates there is a lot of money to be made in hosting it and, yes, it has done a great deal for the South Wales tourist industry. The venue, Newport, Mons., was used by the tourist board to showcase other courses in the area and points of interests to tourists other than just golf.

Building an "Arena" course to host tournaments would, if not attract the Ryder Cup or Open Championship, after all golf is a very traditional sport and Lytham, Hoylake and Birkdale will always have the tradition and allure, certainly European tournaments and might even force it's way onto the European Tour rotation. Also, golf tourism and tourists are above average spenders and will certainly add another reason for tourists to visit the area.

As for the original question; How they can go from building a course to hosting the Ryder Cup? A faint heart never won the maidens hand.

PS: The good thing going for Lytham, Hoylake and Birkdale is that it is the Royal & Ancient at St. Andrews that decides the Open venues and not the NWDA.
sloyne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #17
retep68

Likes (Received): 2

OK back from the match (fucking ref ) so a few pints worse for wear, but when did Newport host the Ryder cup? They're due to hold it in 2010, but haven't hosted it yet. Or am I more pissed than I thought?
retep68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #18
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyne View Post
The Ryder Cup is now being rotated around Europe and with the crowds it generates there is a lot of money to be made in hosting it and, yes, it has done a great deal for the South Wales tourist industry. The venue, Newport, Mons., was used by the tourist board to showcase other courses in the area and points of interests to tourists other than just golf.

Building an "Arena" course to host tournaments would, if not attract the Ryder Cup or Open Championship, after all golf is a very traditional sport and Lytham, Hoylake and Birkdale will always have the tradition and allure, certainly European tournaments and might even force it's way onto the European Tour rotation. Also, golf tourism and tourists are above average spenders and will certainly add another reason for tourists to visit the area.

As for the original question; How they can go from building a course to hosting the Ryder Cup? A faint heart never won the maidens hand.

PS: The good thing going for Lytham, Hoylake and Birkdale is that it is the Royal & Ancient at St. Andrews that decides the Open venues and not the NWDA.
I think you'll find this decides where the Ryder Cup goes and Peel have plenty of it.

One more thing. You could hold the Ryder cup in my back garden and it would still be the Ryder Cup. Anyway the 'Worsley 2016 Ryder Cup' has a nice ring to it.
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #19
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep68 View Post
when did Newport host the Ryder cup? They're due to hold it in 2010, but haven't hosted it yet. Or am I more pissed than I thought?
Oops! Thanks, I'm getting ahead of myself and getting mixed up with another tournament (PGA Master Card) that was played at Royal St Davids in Harlech about six or seven years ago. But never the less gave great exposure for South Wales, inclding Newport.
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #20
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
I think you'll find this decides where the Ryder Cup goes and Peel have plenty of it.

One more thing. You could hold the Ryder cup in my back garden and it would still be the Ryder Cup. Anyway the 'Worsley 2016 Ryder Cup' has a nice ring to it.
You could be right, I am not to familiar with how the rotation is decided in Europe. I do know on this side that IBM and the Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu have been trying for years to get to host the Ryder Cup but it still goes to mainland courses with Kiahwa Island in Charleston, SC., in the forefront. It would seem that Warickshire's Belfry parkland course in England now has a strangle hold on the tournament when it is played in the UK. A shame as there are some excellent courses throughout Britain and not all are Links courses.

Last edited by sloyne; March 8th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.