daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Korean Forum 한국 공개토론 Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Old April 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

Korean New Architectures

Many new architectures can be seen in korea these days. and more and more will be shown before our eyes. (A guy has eagerly posted those newly uprising scrapers and architectures in SSC) I'd like to arrange those cool stuffs in here this new thread. (that is, 'feedback')

firstly, I put down two conditions.

: just recently completed architectures. and at least almost completed one at its facade.
: just aesthetically meaningful and significant architectures, that is, just 'COOL' stuffs

I know, these two conditions are quite subjective to estimate. But solution is simple. Just do as your will and standards. that'd be very controversial, but that's not bad.

Actually, I don't know well about architecture and construction. so I waited this kinda thread would be made by anyone who knows well about it. But not yet. so I made this thread and wait their participating in.

Last edited by Mussoda; April 7th, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

"Post Tower" : Seoul Central Post Office (SCPO)

* location : Chungmuro-1 ga, Jung-gu, Seoul (commonly-called 'Myeong-dong' area)
* architects : SPACE (S.R. Lee, S.I. Kang) + Heerim (Y.G. Jeong, N.S. Cho) + Hangil (H.S.Kim, S.R. Kim) + DeStefano Keating Partners, LTD.(James R. DeStefano, Scott Sarver)

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

CONCEPTS :

The site of Central Post Office forms a triangle with Seoul City Hall and South Gate (Soongryemun), taking an important role as a symbolic gate of the city. The district, located in the Myungdong shopping arcade which is connected to Sogong-dong, is expected to absorb a large number of people.

Thus, the public, social, and historical quality of the site, based on the temporal and extensive context had to be consistently preserved from the design phase to the landscape design phase of the project.

The entire mass is stepped back to form a connecting square with the empty sites around the rotary, so the square takes a central role as a connecting bridge or as a node for the site.

The post booths for users were arranged on the first floor and the second floor, which are connected to the front square through Sunken Garden, and the external spaces such as Central Fountain Plaza at the rotary were designed to interact with the internal spaces of the building as an open garden for citizen. In addition, an urban garden and a reception center were constructed on the 10th floor to provide the users with a space for relaxation and meeting. Considering the symbolic role of the post office as a center of the city, the vertical sides of the building were designed to embrace the two towers standing in symmetry, therefore it looks as if the towers are veiled by the overlaid skin.

The skin of the building, which is emphasized by the space due to the mixture of the contrary materials such as high-tech materials and the natural materials including stone and punch window, makes a great harmony with the surroundings.

(from www.archious.com)
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

other pics

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #5
chang4
South Korea

Likes (Received): 26

The Central Post Office looks nice. There is also a green building with a 'hole' near Insadong I particularly like.

I wonder about the ability of South Korea to differentiate itself thru architecture. In some ways I think Songdo could well be a missed opportunity for Korea ... if it's not careful it could be 'just another Asian city'. My friend in HK often tells me that HK is starting to get to be a bit like 'just another big Chinese city'.

The Shanghai Bund district is something that gives Shanghai a kind of gravity that generic post modern architecture can't generate IMO. I love the Hanok architecture style, and was really please to see a thread that highlighted some modern offices built in the Hanok style. I've witnessed parts of Singapore and KL lose so much of their traditional identity with colonial era architecture being replaced by bland generic post modern stuff.

Would anyone like to comment on my thoughts that perhaps Songdo being influenced by Gale's architectural outlook, may be too much a replication of American preferences and that it possibly lacks European or even Middle Eastern dimensions. I'm old enough to remember the construction of 1 O'connell St in Sydney and if I remember correctly it was leased fast or sold to Middle Eastern players partially due to it's mildly Islamic architecturual disposition. I might check on that with someone who may know better.

chang4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

SKT tower

* use : SK Telecom, main office
* floor : -6 ~ 33th floor.

* design concept :
△ 휴대폰 Folder의 모양을 상징 (symbolizing cell phone folder shape)
△ 고객을 향해 고개 숙인 모양 (looks like bowing attitude to customers)
△ 창들이 엇갈림으로 인한 다양한 반사각 - 유리창의 물결치는 듯한 느낌 - 바라보는 각도에 따른 여러 가지 질감 → 고객, 직원등 이해관계자들과의 다양한 커뮤니케이션 (I can't interpret these. lol)

night lighting,

* 일요경제 2005.04.15 기사 중에서

SK텔레콤 휴대폰을 사옥으로 표현 -

서울 중구 을지로2가. 변변한 볼거리 하나 없던 이곳에 요즘 명물이 하나 생겼다. 휴대폰 모양을 한 SK텔레콤의 신사옥 ‘SK T-타워’가 그것이다. 불과 얼마전까지만 해도 무미건조한 (주)선경의 사옥이 위치해 있었다. 그러나 지난 2001년 SK텔레콤이 인수, 현재의 인텔리전트 빌딩으로 변신시킴으로써 상당한 광고 효과를 내고 있다. 지하 6층, 지상 33층, 연면적 2만7,000여평의 규모인 SKT타워는 27층을 기점으로 15도 정도 기울어진 형태를 띠고 있다. 회사 제품인 ‘폴더형 휴대전화’의 외형을 고스란히 차용한 것이다. SK텔레콤은 이 사옥 덕분에 상당한 광고효과를 누리고 있다. 높이만도 150m에 달해 멀리서도 눈에 띈다. 이 건물은특히 건물을 바라보는 각도에 따라 여러 가지 질감을 느낄 수 있도록 건물 외부에 유리패널을 채용했다. 이는 통신 서비스 회사로서 고객과의 커뮤니케이션과 함께 고객에 대한 SK의 자세를 나타낸 것이라는게 회사측의 설명이다. 회사 내부적으로도 시너지 효과가 기대된다. SKT 관계자는 “불과 얼마전까지만 해도 본사 직원들이 SK 서린빌딩과 서울파이낸스센터, SK남산빌딩 등에 흩어져서 근무했다”면서 “SK T-타워로 본사가 통합 운영됨에 따라 경영 효율성과 함께 부서간 시너지 효과가 극대화될 것으로 기대하고 있다”고 전했다.

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang4 View Post
The Central Post Office looks nice. There is also a green building with a 'hole' near Insadong I particularly like.

I wonder about the ability of South Korea to differentiate itself thru architecture. In some ways I think Songdo could well be a missed opportunity for Korea ... if it's not careful it could be 'just another Asian city'. My friend in HK often tells me that HK is starting to get to be a bit like 'just another big Chinese city'.

The Shanghai Bund district is something that gives Shanghai a kind of gravity that generic post modern architecture can't generate IMO. I love the Hanok architecture style, and was really please to see a thread that highlighted some modern offices built in the Hanok style. I've witnessed parts of Singapore and KL lose so much of their traditional identity with colonial era architecture being replaced by bland generic post modern stuff.

Would anyone like to comment on my thoughts that perhaps Songdo being influenced by Gale's architectural outlook, may be too much a replication of American preferences and that it possibly lacks European or even Middle Eastern dimensions. I'm old enough to remember the construction of 1 O'connell St in Sydney and if I remember correctly it was leased fast or sold to Middle Eastern players partially due to it's mildly Islamic architecturual disposition. I might check on that with someone who may know better.
I missed your post during my posting work.
well, actually, Songdo had failed my expectation by half. but these days new projects has shown stunning renderings. maybe, time being flies, the consciousness about design must be grown and progressed. so, I'm now watching them again now.
Of course, specific 'character' has not enough shown yet. But it's hard gotten from 'traditional' stuffs, i guess. Hanok style will be not easy to be applied at modern-use skyscrapers. although I back that up as indispensable elements of architectural culture still this time.
well,, it seems sensitive and needs many discussion.

Last edited by Mussoda; April 5th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Depotmaster

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. Each city has its own special techniques. I'm
pretty sure HK will always be more than "just another big Chinese city".
Just think of its banks, just think of the quality of the universities, just think of its position in science.
Are really all 7 billion people conscious like me, or are we only a few? Is individuality an illusion?
Depotmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Trutec building

* use : office of Trumpf Korea - Sang'am (a German laser device company)
* floor : -5 ~ 12th floor.
* outside : Aluminum Curtain Wall with 3D Elevation.
* architects : Frank Barkow, Regine Leibinger (Barkow Leibinger Architects) / B.H. Kim (Chang-jo Architects)

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

* words from architect :

The sure footing that we have enjoyed in the European building culture is giving way to new challenges in places like Asia where site, history, or methods may be irrelevant, transitional or appropriated from other places. The question of site-ed-ness is in itself a work-in-progress. Having relied on site as a key condition to which an architecture might react dialectically we have found ourselves in a position where site may not so much inform an architecture as simply receive one.
In this sense our building for the Digital Media City is unabashedly self-referential. With neighboring buildings yet unplanned or unknown we found ourselves with no local context to respond to other than local zoning ordinances. Located in this new high-tech work-live center, one of the last remaining open sites in Seoul, the project is 11 stories of office and showroom space over a 5 level underground parking structure. The exterior cladding is a mirrored fractal glass articulated into a series of crystalline-formed bays projecting 50cm. These three-dimensional forms refract light and image, rendering the facade as a fragmented and abstract surface. Any less-than-fortunate examples of architecture surrounding it will be reduced to fragmented pixels upon its surfaces. Reciprocally from the interior, window bays act as kaleidoscopes offering multiple views and orientations through the facades. This way the building acts as a phenomenal filter, effecting both vision and how it is viewed. The other significant decision is to offset the building core to the probable lightless eastern corner of the building. The core is clad in a polygonal-shaped zinc shingle. This location of the core allows for a large representational building lobby to occur at the ground level with a mezzanine coffee shop above. A large triangular indentation marks the formal entrance to the building. This offset entrance also sets up a strong relationship to the park located diagonally across. A triangular suspended steel stair to the mezzanine flanks this entrance. Sectionally the building expands toward the lower levels, with higher spaces given for the ground floor (6m clear) and 1st and 2nd floor showrooms (4.5m).

Barkow Leibinger Architects

* Words about Curtain Wall
from construction company, Dongbu Construction co.

Construction_ Curtain Wall
트루텍 빌딩에 사용된 알루미늄 커튼월 시스템은 국내에서 시도된 최초의 3차원 입체 형식으로, 알루미늄 바의 3차원 가공을 위한 별도의 장비에서부터 유리 취부로 인한 설계 및 Mock-up 단계의 집중 관리가 요구됐다. ‘elumatec Profile machining Centre SBZ 151’이 3차원 알루미늄 바를 가공하는 장비로서 기존의 4축(4 axis) 가공과는 달리 5축(5 axix) 가공이 가능하고 이와 동시에 드릴링, 라우팅 테이핑, 컷팅 및 노칭이 가능하다. 가공전에 있어 설계의 정확도를 위해서 Design mock-up을 먼저 실시하였으며 이 단계에서는 유닛 제작시 문제가 될 것으로 예상되는 3차원 부재 연결부의 마감 및 시공성을 검토했다. 모델링은 3차원 기계설계 전용프로그램 중 하나인 Inventor를 이용해 가공기구 및 클램프 위치, 가공기기의 회전속도, 이동속도, 작업순서등을 계획했다. 시뮬레이션을 통해 가공된 알루미늄 바는 각종 3차원 연결부를 많이 포함하고 있는 관계로 성능 검사에 있어서도 기존의 2차원 평면형태를 평가하던 것과 달리 몇가지 성능 시험에 대한 반복시험이 요구되었다. 사이즈 및 3차원의 형상으로 인해 기존의 단일 팔레트에 다량 적재가 불가능하여 1회 2개 유닛씩 고정하는 전용팔레트를 이용해 운송하였다.
현장의 커튼월은 크게 북동측, 북서측 및 남서측 일부구간이 3D 입면이며 잔여구간이 2D 입면 구간으로 전체적인 가설계 획 및 마감 공정 일정을 고려해 2D 입면 구간을 선행했다. 설치는 유닛의 사이즈, 형상 중량, 가설장비 사용의 난이도를 고려해 모노레일이 아닌 타워크레인을 이용하고, 타워크레인 해체 후에는 유압식 크레인을 이용해 시공을 완료했다.

홍두표(동부건설(주))

(sorry, i can't interpret this article)

Last edited by Mussoda; April 5th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 482

Love the CPO
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #12
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 9916

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang4 View Post

hi, not sure about islamic influence but the position and design of 1;0connell st was mainly due to the Dept of lands tower directly infront.
The architect turned the tower northwards and gave the top a green spire to reflect the copper onion dome on the 18thC dept of lands tower.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #13
chang4
South Korea

Quote:
Just think of its banks, just think of the quality of the universities, just think of its position in science.
Hard to say ... in my mind HK has a different feel about it than it did 15 years ago when I first spent time there. As far as buildings go - while I've always liked the Bank of China Tower (more so than the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank) and Two International Finance Centre is wicked, a lot of the newer buildings being completed when I was there last (in August) didn't resonate with me much. That's just my opinion tho.

Walking around the new Hong Kong China ferry terminal area - I did think just that ... this is a pretty generic place. From the outside it looks like anywhere else in the world despite being right on the tip of Tsim Sha Tsui, which is a 'dress circle' HK waterfront location. The Hanoi Rd building in TST is cool tho IMO.

Same night I met someone for a drink at the Peninsular Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui 10 minutes from the new HK/China terminal and what they did in 94 there with the new tower is really much better in terms of reflecting the uniqueness of HK's identity.

My friend in HK goes to China a lot especially Shenzhen/Guangdong so that's probably the source of his take on things. And my view is just an offhand opinion not something definitive.

Kind of agree that The C. U. of H.K. , H.K. U. of S & T, etc are top tier academic institutions, but I doubt they trump Tsinghua or Peking University. And quite a few Chinese universities are emerging and consolidating their reputations. re banking - yep I agree with you on this front - for the moment.

All this is way off topic tho - and probably best expanded if need be within
a different thread. In a bit of a rush - so pls excuse any typo's etc.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #14
chang4
South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
hi, not sure about islamic influence but the position and design of 1;0connell st was mainly due to the Dept of lands tower directly infront.
The architect turned the tower northwards and gave the top a green spire to reflect the copper onion dome on the 18thC dept of lands tower.
Thanks ... I'm not 100% sure on the Islamic influence/Islamic clients thing ...
just something I vaguely recall coming up in conversation a long time back.

Old April 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #15
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Korea National Housing Corporation, branch office in Daegu.
(대한주택공사 대구경북지역본부)

* floor : -2~13 floor
* architect : Wonyang Architects
* construction : Daelim

* This building adopted 'suspension structure', which is mostly applied to suspension bridge. So, 6~13 floor is hung (suspended) on the truss of core top part. then, load converges upward, not downward. (so we nickname it as '공중부양' building)
This kinda highrise building is the first in korea.

Old April 6th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #16
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

detail shots

Old April 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #17
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussoda View Post

This one reminds of the People's Liberation Army Forces Hong Kong Building -- except with glass. I do prefer the glass version, howsoever, this type of design is just not my taste.

Haha! Bowing to customers! That's quite neat. I would never expect a company to design a building with this in mind. I like the facade though.
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #18
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

I seem to have seen that comparison between them somewhere. How about the structure inside. ?
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #19
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

NCSOFT R&D center

NCsoft built its own R&D center building at Teheran-ro (Tehran Street), Seoul, lately.
the company staffers have dispersed at four buildings along Teheran-ro. but now they can get together this new building.

* floor : -7~15 (totally 22 floor)
* architect : Park Seung-Hong,. (he designed 'National Museum of Korea' at Yongsan, Seoul)

* feature, : No one can see how tall or what story building it is from outdoor, on the street. because the building got specific facade,
They intend a facade screening out direct ray of light, considering the R&D functional purpose.

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #20
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

detail

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.