daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Old March 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nõgesh View Post
Well, it seems to me that many houses in Latvia are made of bricks, especially red ones and there aren't as many wooden buildings as here. Also private houses in Latvia seem to be a lot bigger anyways, don't take this too seriously, maybe I'm just used to seeing small wooden buildings which are common in that part of Estonia where I live
Actually compared with Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia have pretty similar architecture in towns to my mind. Apart from northern Estonia, where many buildings are built from lime stone, in southern Estonia and northern Latvia (I think the area used to be called Livland earlier) buildings are build from red bricks (cathedral in Tartu or Dom church in Riga) or stone. The manor houses build by germans in 19th century barely differ in Estonia, Livland or Kurland. And wooden farmsteads are different even within Latvia. Courland has one style, while Livland (we call it Vidzeme) farmsteads are pretty similar to the ones I saw in Rocca al mare museum.

Btw during easter time went from Nigrande to Pape (through Priekule, Barta, Rucava) the far south west of the country, I was fascinated how many wooden farmsteads from 19th century are there especially on the way between Priekule and Rucava. Somebody should get there to document then until it is not too late. It is better than open air museum.

Sponsored Links

Old March 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #22
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 515

As I promised, here is my second historical Bauska excursion from the Easter Day:

1. First picture taken from starting point looking in direction as white line goes. Some bricked buildings as well as some wooden ones. Interesting to note, entrance doors of the houses in the right side are only in their courtyards, not in street side.

2. When looking at this shot, one can be unaware that this is in town centre - it looks like some lonely farmsteads far away in the countryside:

3. However, only some 100 metres farther, and we are looking at the main street in Bauska - Kalna (Hill) street. Library, recreation centre, evening school as well as some youth hobby groups are located at these buildings you see on the right side:

4. Looking to Plūdoņa street, which is nicely renovated in the last years. Cafe builiding to the right, that white building in forefront. Cheap prices (there are no many places left in Latvia where you can take a meal for about 2-3 euros) and quite tasty, but meals are too cooled often

5. Town Hall square (although there is no Town hall located for a long time and the former Town Hall building itself is demolished):

6. Now we are on the Mēmele bridge and looking at historical district of Riga street built on the river bank:

7. Over the bridge and the view to the town as seen when driving in from Riga direction:

9. I guess, this was once a beer factory but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, very nice factory building. Bauska still produces popular beer, but that factory are built in Soviet times and is located on the other side of town, some 6 km from here. Another photographer with a very cool camera also took photos here at the same time when I.

10. Very untypical architecture for Bauska and for Latvia in general. This is some hotel building, renovated (actually don't know restaurated or newly built in such style). Just lovely!

11. Twin towers' composition:

12. We are back in the town and going along Riga street, and here we see another piece of interesting architecture:

14. That beer factory building from the front side - it was a wreck some years ago, but now capitally renewed:

15. That untypical hotel buiilding from street side looks very usual for Bauska:

16. Riga street continues for another kilometer, but this time we are heading back leaving eastern end of the town for some other time

17. I remember this house from my childhood - we used to buy fresh and warm bread here. Now it's a motoroil shop, but freshly baked bread you can still buy at least in one place in Bauska.

18. Plūdoņa street again - the opposite way. As you saw in other pictures, pavaments are mostly newly-cobled, but here are cobled also the street itself - like in most wealthy town in Latvia - Ventspils - where are many such streets:

19. Steps to the uptown:

20. View to downtown's rooftops - and here our fourth excursion ends.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #23
Vecais Sakarnis

This week was the best week so far this year in terms of weather and temperature in Latvia - around 10-15 degrees and sunny! Especially nice it was Monday, at that day I went to my 3rd Bauska excursion, this time you will see another pics from Old Bauska and beautiful Riga street and also from uptown. Here is the map (starting point where yellow placemark):

Excursion 5: Old & Uptown Bauska

Trip info

Date: March 31

Weather: sunny

Temperature: +14

Length: 3,5 km

But first some night pictures from previous day:

Lutheran church iluminated at night - the view from Kaleju street:

Now, let's go on our new excursion.

1. Here you see the older of 2 hospital buildings in Bauska.

2. I still can't figure out why those doors on the 2nd floor level? Doesn't make any sense...

3. Still on uptown. This is Bauska 2nd secondary school sports ground, with school's new building to the right:

4. Downside & older part of the town again.

6.Riga street. Nice weather, more people on the streets.

7. Bauska Old Town was formed from 15th till 19th century, but oldest currently existing buildings in Bauska Old Town is from 18th century - from simple wooden houses to quite posh masonry buildings:

8.Bauska elementary school:

10. He looks like a Gypsy boy - and Riga street is the main Gypsies area in Bauska for a long time:

12. Last picture from Riga street:

13. One can meet even a horse in Bauska:

14. Another surreal view - trees with blue "leafs":

15. Korfa manor house. Originally it was built in 19th century, but some years ago there was only complete wreck. Now it's restaurated:

16. Bauzes mart is the second and newer mart in Bauska - it was established some 10 years ago and serves for commieblock district people in the uptown. Mondays is only days when it's closed. The Old market is locatedd in old, down from hill part of the town.

17. Some new apartment houses:

18. Bauska could be described as the town with 2 separate centres (both of them in newtown) - this is area around the bus station, and here you see the hotel, 2nd secondary school, post and bank. Other centre I will show you in some next picture - it is located some 1 km away.

19. Don't know for sure but this could be the tallest house chimney in Bauska. But I know for sure that the commie building to the left is the highest in Bauska, at least of floor count - six floors.

20. Water tower:

23. This is the second Bauska centre - main shopping, administrative buildings, children library, 1st secondary school:

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; April 5th, 2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #24
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Bauska looks clean.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #25
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

This is great thread - and the last part of it has been the best so far! It is great pleasure to see Korf manor house renovated - I took a picture of it in 2002 - then it looked just sad. Here you see it.

Over the last years lots and lots of manor houses have been renovated!

Today was photographing Tukums - now that is impeccably clean town!!! Bauska also is clean.

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #26
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

Btw. - is it the same building (Korf manor)?

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #27
Vecais Sakarnis

Thanks! Yes, this is the same building! Thanks for sharing with picture from 2002 - I have no pictures of Korfa manor house in that condition, so it's interesting to see by comparison.

Old May 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #28
Vecais Sakarnis

deleted post

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; May 19th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #29
Vecais Sakarnis

Excursion 6: Sigulda

Spring has came in Latvia and finally here are more sunny days than cloudy ones, nature is beautiful everywhere and it's one of the best time when to go to one of the most beautiful places in Latvia - area between Sigulda, Krimulda and Turaida villages, which is visited by ~1.5 million tourists every year (only Riga, Jurmala and probably also Liepaja gets more). It's beauty is mainly in Gauja river valley and its nature monuments, but there are also quite many notable man-made objects. Here is the map with my route (length about 8 km):

1. Sigulda train station - built in 20ies, after the old station building was destroyed in the fights for Latvia's independence. This romanticism style building was considered to be one of the nicest train stations in Latvia at that time.

3. Sigulda lutheran church - the oldest building in Sigulda, it's first part built in 1225.

5. New Sigulda palace with its' park. It is built in 1878-1881, neogothic style.

7. Monument to Kronvaldu Atis - latvian literate, one of the creator of Latvian literary language.

8. Krimulda palace over there - we will be there later.

9. Sigulda old castle ruins

10. View from here to Turaides castle complex where our route will end today

12. I counted - there are some 450 footsteps!

15. Gauja bridge from air tram, which goes from Sigulda to Krimulda and is popular tourist attraction for decades

16. Krimulda palace - the Late Classicism style new palace was built on the place of old manor-house after 1848.

20. Gūtmaņa cave - largest cave in Latvia

22. Dainu kalns - sculpture park close to Turaidas castle

24. Turaida castle

25. Views from the castle tower

29. This wooden church is more than 250 years old - built in 1750.

30. Don't know why but stick is Sigulda's symbol for about 200 years.

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; May 19th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #30
Nõgesh

Fabulous nature and lots of great old buildings
Nõgesh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #31
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 4276

Don't know why but stick is Sigulda's symbol for about 200 years.

Easy thought - maybe it was an archbishop stick. After all Turaida and Krimulda castles were Archbishop of Riga strong-points against the Order of Livonia knights. Just a thought.
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #32
raz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Don't know why but stick is Sigulda's symbol for about 200 years.

Easy thought - maybe it was an archbishop stick. After all Turaida and Krimulda castles were Archbishop of Riga strong-points against the Order of Livonia knights. Just a thought.
Or could it be that all the middle-aged and older bourgeois gentlemen that went to relax there in the late 19th century were quite fond of their canes?
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote