daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #21
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Beijing is absolutely terrible when it comes to this. I believe they've done a bit to make the newest line (Line 5), as well as the lines under construction, as disabled-friendly as possible, but in most stations on the older lines (1, 2, 13), there's absolutely nothing. In a few stations, you even have weird situations like an escalator that goes nearly to the surface, then a few stairs to go the rest of the way.

And for the buses, don't even think about it. Even if you could get on, they're so crowded during rush hour that a wheelchair simply wouldn't fit. And it's a minor miracle if the people sitting in the "reserved for old/disabled/pregnant passengers" zone actually give up their seats for someone falling into that category.

I know that the city government is trying to make progress on this before the Paralympics next year, but they've a ways to go.
I don't think cities with fully accessible transit systems are the norm elsewhere around the world either. New York and London are obvious examples. I can't imagine what it is like getting into the older stations by wheelchair in either city.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old April 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #22
iampuking

Likes (Received): 2

There is a programme to equip all stations in London with step free access going on currently, as the system is mainly deep level, and some stations barely have enough space as it is, so it's quite difficult.

Stations which are planned to receive step free access:

Bond Street
Tottenham Court Road
Green Park (already is partially step-free)
Victoria
King's Cross
Finsbury Park
Highbury & Islington
Bank (W&C platforms)

and more...

Blackfriars and Farringdon will probably get step free access as part of the Thameslink programme, and others as part of Crossrail.
iampuking no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #23
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 9

Vancouver now has a fully accessible transit system. That includes SkyTrain, SeaBus, buses, and West Coast Express commuter rail. We're a young enough system that all but one of our stations were designed to be universally accessible with elevators, escalators, etc., from the outset. The one original station that did not have elevator access has been renovated to a universal access standard. The buses have been more problematic but the very last of the old unaccessible electric trolleys are being phased out and our new fleet of accessible buses is on the road.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #24
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 120

Ramps & low-floored trams:

Most trains here carry portable ramps to enable wheelchairs to be ridden in & out of carriages, but the trains have become so crowded lately, that even on foot it's difficult to get in.
Yardmaster no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #25
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 39

in Miami the metrorail stations are at the same level as the trains are but Tri Rail is a different story.

for Tri Rail i think is that at the end of the platforms there is a ramp that goes to the train so they use that ramp to get on the train with a bridge i believe.
Songoten2554 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #26
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
I have been having a long... looooooooong debate with my brother via e-mail on the issue of Universal Design and public transportation, mainly concerning train lines. This is exactly the kind of stuff I have been talking about. My brother is all like "elevators and escalators are fine" and I'm like "NO, they are not, while elevators are technically barrier free, they are at best only half-compliant with Universal Design, nevermind the mechanical complications both elevators and escalators are subject to as well as their huge costs". My ideal is that stations have no need for escalators and elevators. All access can be provided by ramps that are used easily by all (no segregation).
Of course, that is not entirely possible, but I agree with this. A conceptual illustration of the Broadway UBC M-Line Extension in Vancouver: if the SkyTrain tunnels underneath 10th Avenue, stations can be almost at level with Broadway Street, which is a major street for businesses and traffic.

Conceptual Drawing done in 1999 by Via Architecture ~ Source: City of Vancouver, Image hosted by Me

Our Canada Line is very close to the surface, but because of major cost cuts, we chose the cheap method of building our stations, only elevators. At some stations, you have to go down the elevator then up another elevator to get to the other platform. Isn't that stupid? Only one station, Broadway - City Hall has a ramp going into the station, but again, you must take an elevator to the platform. Oh well, at least that's a start?

Broadway - City Hall Plan ~ Source: InTransitBC, Image hosted by Mr.X

TransLink and Vancouver is also retrofitting some stations, including Main Street Science World which has a horrible elevator location, apart from the rest of the station, making it very unsafe. Basically, there is an elevator from Street to Ticket Concourse then to Trains. They got rid of the Street to Ticket Concourse Elevator, which is the unsafe segregated part, and replaced it with a ramp. Of course, they also improved the other entrance adding an elevator, which makes accessibility to that station even better.

Rendering of Main Street - Science World ~ Source: Mr. X

Floor Plan of Main Street - Science World Ground and Ticket Concourse Level~ Source: Mr. X

If they don't have ramps, they least they should do is have HUGE, glass elevators making it more friendly. All stations should be designed with CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design).

See Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_p...nmental_design

Example of station designed with CPTED:

Rupert Station ~ Source: Vancouver Transport

Sorry I just poured a bunch of Vancouver crap, but we are not close to achieving an the best accessible system although we are trying to improve.

Last edited by deasine; April 16th, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
deasine no está en línea  

Closed Thread