daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Old December 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #81
Paddington

Likes (Received): 779

Your stupid if you think that French language in Quebec is an asset to Canada as a country. Quebec threatens to leave Canada all the time because of the French language issue, and is paid off by the government in a number of ways to stay, which makes all the English speaking Canadians grumble. Even then, many think that eventually Quebec may leave.

Very few people in New Orleans actually speak French, BTW, including those who are authentic Cajuns.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #82
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Your stupid if you think that French language in Quebec is an asset to Canada as a country. Quebec threatens to leave Canada all the time because of the French language issue, and is paid off by the government in a number of ways to stay, which makes all the English speaking Canadians grumble. Even then, many think that eventually Quebec may leave.

Very few people in New Orleans actually speak French, BTW, including those who are authentic Cajuns.
I hope you know that Quebec does not equal French. There are native quebecers who are Anglophones, in fact there are many. I also hope you know that all francophone are not only in Quebec. Quebec is simply the where the majority is. There are many francophone communities in New Brunswick, Ontario and Manitoba. The most are not quebecers that moved, the most are communities that have always been French but are in a predominantly english-speaking province. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadiens

Quebec is not separate from Canada. Quebec is Canada. Canadian history practically starts in Canada. The national anthem was first written in French by a quebecer.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #83
Manolos

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I don't know if you've ever been to Quebec or not but they will only speak English if forced to and many will not speak it at all. From my experience Parisians try to help people with language issues more than residents of Quebec.

Many articles state that Quebec's use of the French language drives tourists away not encouraging them. Yes the heritage is attractive by the communication issues drive many away. If Quebec was English speaking they wouldn't have room for all the tourists!
Have you ever been to the province? Thats not how it is at all. Coming from the East Coast, we go to Montreal all the time, and other cities in the province. "Not speak it at all?"
Manolos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #84
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 3

yeah, i would say go ahead puerto rico #51. and while they're at it, make USVI #52.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #85
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

I Don't know why boricuas("puerto ricans" if some of you don't know)get offended when someone calls them Americans.HELLO!!THEY'RE U.S. TERITORRY which makes them Americans.Yes they are hispanic,but they're also americans too.Trust me,my sister's husband is boricua and he gets kind of offended when I call him american.Face it, without America's help, Puerto Rico would be nothing and they should be greatful for that.They shouldn't get offended when someone calls them American.I Mean hey, my parents are from the Dominican Republic which makes me Dominican but I don't get offended nor do I deny that I'm American since I was born here in America.

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
WWW.MySpace.com/RDLatino430RD
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...03&ref=profile
DrzBrooklynChulo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:09 AM   #86
Bori427

Likes (Received): 603

Most of us don't get offended,your sisters husband is weird definitely...

And yeah we get many things from the US but they also take many things from us so no,we'd most likely still be better than most LatinAmerican countries.
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:51 AM   #87
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
The United States should not become bilingual under any circumstance. We are and always have been a country based on a single language. That is one of the greatest things that has strengthened the United States. Everyone has come to America has become an American, not a Frenchman, German, Irishman etc. who happens to be living here. Many maintained speaking their native language for several generations but they all learned English. We've never needed a formal law making English (American) an official language but maybe now we do to insure that all future immigrants truly become Americans by learning our language and traditions!

Canada is having many problems with the bilingual atmosphere. Quebec has tried several times to succeed from the country and has lost a lot of tourism because of its language attitude. In Canada's case being bilingual has become a factor splitting the country not unifying it and being bilingual would do the same for the United States!
Just as long as you realize that English is NOT the official language of the USA. There is NO official language for the US. The Supreme Court long ago determined that the "language of the people" is determined by the people who speak it. That's the basis of democracy. The US is on track to becoming a Hispanic speaking country. So it would be in your best interest to learn Spanish.
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM   #88
snookums
history craver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Just as long as you realize that English is NOT the official language of the USA. There is NO official language for the US. The Supreme Court long ago determined that the "language of the people" is determined by the people who speak it. That's the basis of democracy. The US is on track to becoming a Hispanic speaking country. So it would be in your best interest to learn Spanish.
I strongly disagree
English is the de-facto language here. The only reason we have so many Spanish-speaking people here is because many are here illegally......
Not to get too political, but Bush, the neo-conservatives AND the neo-liberals have done a TERRIBLE job about illegal immigration. They are lax on it for different reasons. The neo-cons are OK with illegal immigrants because it gives them CHEAP labor. The neo-libs are OK with it because they want to appear "accepting" of all people

This country was largely settled by the British. I am a descendant from the British settlers/colonists and they would probably be turning in their graves to see the issues we have today. Some of my other ancestors came from Germany and they learned English. And we all know that other immigrants learned English when they came here. Why is it that many Mexicans and other Central and South Americans are having issues with this?
I think it is because they want us to cater to their culture, lifestyle, needs etc instead of really integrating into our society. That is sad, but true.

Some of what I say here may "offend" people, but I really dont give a damn. This is what I think about it.

Sometimes, democracy is overrated.....

Happy 2008!
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM   #89
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
English is the de-facto language here.
This is what has made America great. Immigrants from Germany, Ireland, China etc have all come to America and learned English to become Americans! They are not Germans (or whenever) living in America, they are Americans. This is something that the recent wave of Hispanic immigrants have not done this. Instead they are Mexicans (or whenever) living in America. While they may be Americans in name a truly will not become Americans until they speak English as their primary language of their own accord.

Maybe we should pass a law making English the official language of the United States but this alone will not make these people Americans. We cannot make people become Americans they have to want to buy until then they shouldn’t be a major influence on American!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:38 AM   #90
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3017

What really would be the point of making English the official language really?

I mean, English really isn't in any threat of losing it's status, in spite of all this hoopla, English is still the language of the country, and making it official would just be an expensive way of stating the obvious...I believe that the only reason to make it official would be because of fears that have not materialized yet.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM   #91
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

What does all this have to do with Puerto Rico potentially becoming a U.S. state? Let's get back on topic or this thread will be closed.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #92
Double

I'm most concerned about the flag. How would it look to add another star? I think it would totally throw the pattern off.
Double no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #93
koolkid

Likes (Received): 55

I say no. Let the little guys go on their own...
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #94
snookums
history craver

Quote:
This is what has made America great. Immigrants from Germany, Ireland, China etc have all come to America and learned English to become Americans! They are not Germans (or whenever) living in America, they are Americans. This is something that the recent wave of Hispanic immigrants have not done this. Instead they are Mexicans (or whenever) living in America. While they may be Americans in name a truly will not become Americans until they speak English as their primary language of their own accord.

Maybe we should pass a law making English the official language of the United States but this alone will not make these people Americans. We cannot make people become Americans they have to want to buy until then they shouldn’t be a major influence on American!
I agree with you and koolkid. I don't think Puerto Rico should become a US state..........leave them as they are. We already have 50 states; we are big enough.
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #95
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
I'm most concerned about the flag. How would it look to add another star? I think it would totally throw the pattern off.
IIRC, the USA DoD's (Department of Defense) Office of Heraldry (they design most of the USA's Federal and military logos, patches, etc) has star patterns set for up to 56 stars. I would expect it to be a staggered pattern on the lines of when it was 46 stars (1908-1912).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #96
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

wouldn't Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state in the United States sort of be like the person who took the life boat into the ocean to get on board the Titanic right before it hit the iceberg?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #97
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Keep Puerto Rico as it is.I think the Puerto Ricans would like it that way anyway.

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM   #98
DrzBrooklynChulo90
Javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Most of us don't get offended,your sisters husband is weird definitely...

And yeah we get many things from the US but they also take many things from us so no,we'd most likely still be better than most LatinAmerican countries.
Your from Mayaguez?That's kool cuz he's from there too.Maybe you guys are family..lol.I think I should ask his opinion on whether he thinks Puerto Rico should become the 51st state.Supposedly he's going to Puerto Rico with my sister and kids in August and I would definitely love to go to Puerto Rico.I heard its very nice over there.I hope to find some Dominicans over there too if i go.Lol.

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM   #99
Bori427

Likes (Received): 603

Family no lol,we're too many over here,it's not a village haha...

It's pretty nice,kinda like Honolulu...
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:28 AM   #100
redspork02
Seems itnever rainsnSoCal

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
It Looks fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_state

LETS GO DODGERs!!!!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
puerto rico