daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Old May 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #101
Venycal

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post

I just hope they insert in more Malay traditional style.....
Venycal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #102
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshbgood View Post
personally i think a palace should be located in a remote-isolated, i mean a location where the palace looks stand-out...somethin like Parliament building or istana melawati...

not like this...face-to-face with business premises and condo....

and if you see, Imperial palace in Tokyo, building taller than ***m cannot be built within ***km from the palace....(**- dunno the exact figures). are they (government) really serious when making the palace...? or are they just thinking about money, money, and more money only?
Quote:
i refer to the picture posted by myf282828, sissy....

Tomkat is right and you do not have to call him sissy. That is so childish!

You jumped into conclusion by saying 'face-to-face with business premises and condo....' without even reading the earlier articles.

If you wanted a grand istana, why not retain the current one? I still think that the current Istana Negara is located on a majestic position ala Parliament Building and Istana Melawati.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #103
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAYSIAN View Post
you all not loyal to the King , u wan the roof of istana to fell down and leaks, don respect the King and u all even said that the istana is not good, the most important things is as long as the King accept the design

So you mean that DYMM Agong's acceptance of the design had to be liked by everyone?

This is not about respect to DYMM Agong my friend, this is about architecture.

The comment by Forrestcat isn't disrespect to DYMM Agong but his statement is reflecting on the current trend of cost-cutting measures which could result in architecture and structural failure just like the spanking buildings of Putrajaya. If it could happen in Putrajaya, I do not see why such incidents couldn't happen to the new istana. I do not see a point why did you take this as a disrespect to the monarch. It is a criticism on the building and its architecture and construction.

Furthermore, if the current trend are still followed when the new istana are built, the rulers do not stay at the Istana Negara but instead prefer to stay at their own respective Istana Hinggap. So why the money on a new istana?
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #104
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Yes this is disappointing. It does not look special in any way. Just an over sized Zakaria mansion. Why can't they incorporate more traditional Malay elements in the istana. Very Arab wannabe and even I think the Arabs will not be impressed with this istana.

The least they could do is remove those stupid domes. Do u guys think the guys who designed new Court Building with the onion dome also designed this istana?

Yes......Domes are not traditionally part of the Malay architecture. I still think that they should do an Istana similar in design to the real istanas like those at Sri Menanti and recent ones like Istana Melawati. Kudos to the wondrous design of Istana Melawati by Raja Bahrin.

I still think that Malaysians (esp Malays) are still obsessed with Arabian design although they are tropically-unfriendly. Just look at the numerous buildings constructed around Malaysia. I am an avid reader of interior design magazines and books and I am surprised that richer Malays prefer Arabic/Moroccan/Moorish architecture to their homes while many non-Malays prefer vernacular Malay architecture. While not all Malays are like what I;ve described but many are kinda obsessed with anything Arabian-like. Of course we get lots and lots of Malaysians (irregardless of race and religion) whom prefer classical-western style which looks 'ah bengish' at most times.

Quote:
there is a malay style on it...i can see from the roofing. but yeah...i hate dome!! dome is not originally islamic architecture...but it was Rome who invented it.
Apart from the all-so-noticeable roofing.....what else?

Anyway dome-building predates even the Roman empire. The Greek and the Indians have been using domes before the Romans. And nobody could be certain who invented the dome.

Domes have always been an integral part of Islamic architecture that it is a tradition all around the world. Originally it is not but it is a standard nowadays

Last edited by szehoong; May 11th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #105
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestatlenoir View Post
HATE those domes too! absolutely hideous... why can't the public work architects come out with a good design with no domes. afterall, this is ISTANA NEGARA. They need to come up with something unique that exudes "istananess' ...
Quote:
are you sure the architects are from PWD?....or is that so, you should know lah...PWD's architects are malaysia's crappiest.

all their designed buildings have no taste at all....all are 'cost-cutting'

The new istana are designed by the Senireka group which also did many important buildings in Putrajaya.

Too bad lah......an important building like this should have been tendered in a 'beauty contest' (architectural competition) by leading architectural firms all around the world (or at least Malaysia lah).
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #106
XNeo

Likes (Received): 121

I wish the building is made up of woods.like kayu cengal...meranti..etc. it is more aesthetic, some more can be part of tourism.

it should be the largest wooden structure building in the world...we malaysian always like the largest..the longest..bla bla bla.

dont forget to pay your tax to build this building aaa.
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #107
OshHisham
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
I still think that Malaysians (esp Malays) are still obsessed with Arabian design although they are tropically-unfriendly. Just look at the numerous buildings constructed around Malaysia. I am an avid reader of interior design magazines and books and I am surprised that richer Malays prefer Arabic/Moroccan/Moorish architecture to their homes while many non-Malays prefer vernacular Malay architecture. While not all Malays are like what I;ve described but many are kinda obsessed with anything Arabian-like. Of course we get lots and lots of Malaysians (irregardless of race and religion) whom prefer classical-western style which looks 'ah bengish' at most times.
yeah, i can see it (arabian-style) too, especially projects done under 'PROJEK KERAJAAN BARISAN NASIONAL' they are overdone....

personally i love SEA's vernacular and minimalism.

Quote:
Anyway dome-building predates even the Roman empire. The Greek and the Indians have been using domes before the Romans. And nobody could be certain who invented the dome.

Domes have always been an integral part of Islamic architecture that it is a tradition all around the world
as i learnt during my academic days, lecturers told me that it was Romans....

and Islamic's very own invented designs are the 'minaret' and the 'courtyard' (garden inside building's compound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
Tomkat is right and you do not have to call him sissy. That is so childish!
he's using tone with me...,
remember? i'm not a 'good guy'....

Quote:
You jumped into conclusion by saying 'face-to-face with business premises and condo....' without even reading the earlier articles.

If you wanted a grand istana, why not retain the current one? I still think that the current Istana Negara is located on a majestic position ala Parliament Building and Istana Melawati.
ok, i admit it is not face-to-face lah, it is only 'provocative' statement...but when i visit the area couple of weeks ago...i think there would be numbers of future developments around that side which is already occupied with residences...

i don think it will stand out like parliament....or current istana....

i talk based on principle of planning a palace.

well, i the end nice or not, we (rakyat) still cannot enter the palace, we only can take picture at the gate....so, why should we care? i'm more concern over how well the current istana would become a Royal Museum. must be KL's best museum ever!! another tourism product in the making.....
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #108
James Foong

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
the most important things is as long as the King accept the design
Your quote made me shiver. If the design must have the consent from the King, our money coffer ll dry up fast because every 5 yrs a new King sworn in, we hv to do with new palace as every man hv different idea and taste.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #109
Leeigh

Likes (Received): 3

just the whole deal with building the new istana is a big waste of money...my 2 cents. Just renovate or extend the old istana..why is there a need for a new one and who's living at istana melawati in PutraJ?
Leeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #110
MALAYSIAN
1Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
Your quote made me shiver. If the design must have the consent from the King, our money coffer ll dry up fast because every 5 yrs a new King sworn in, we hv to do with new palace as every man hv different idea and taste.
the old istana is old already and u thought our money is a lot, all comes from the government, try to think about it
MALAYSIAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #111
Leeigh

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
the old istana is old already and u thought our money is a lot, all comes from the government, try to think about it
sorry my friend...that was a shallow comment, goverment money is people's money...hard workin people's money that need to be piped into better projects for the people...and the istana is 'old'??? istanas around the world are much older than istana negara and they are still safe for occupation and as a matter of fact the older the better.

Leeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #112
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 905

so what hapend 2 dis project???
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #113
johnlim75

the bottom one is Plaza Damas 3 project....not Istana
johnlim75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #114
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
From Kumpulan Senireka

From Kumpulan Senireka

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #115
OshHisham
BANNED

wow! bila nak siap? really can't wait. (actually i cant wait for the current istana to be a museum!, really wanna see inside...)
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #116
LeeighIam

Likes (Received): 80

aww geezzz, can't they come up with a new and fresher architecture, naw all the buldings gonna look like Putrajaya copycats!! Either gonna gonna look like Putrajayesque or the Terengganu airport look alike..
LeeighIam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #117
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 905

wat hapen 2 dis project?? stop meh??
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #118
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

I hope they stop and redesign..make it like a super eye candy you can never find anywhere else in Malaysia and the world!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #119
SEED

Likes (Received): 4

this is like a "yeh~ its a palace~ wow~" design...
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #120
YeahWho

Likes (Received): 15

I also don't feel the design impressive. To me, it is just like another grand mosque with a large conference hall attached behind. By far, Istana Melawati is the real "WOW" design. I really hope part of it is open up for daily visit, just like the White House.
YeahWho no está en línea   Reply With Quote