daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #41
kongla
BKK-JFK

Likes (Received): 26

why korea have more of stadium ? but its good for your country ..i want thailAND have more stadium like your country...
kongla no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #42
racetraitor

Likes (Received): 0

Here are a couple stadia you're not going to visit any time soon.

Dongdaemoon Baseball Stadium

Dongdaemoon Stadium had a flea market on it, after the vendors were chased away during the construction of Cheonggyecheon.

Inside the flea market on its final weekend.

After the stadium has been closed and the flea market has been taken down.
racetraitor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM   #43
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussoda View Post
Sang-am Stadium, Seoul

(pic by Purn-Haneul _nightview.kr)
For foreign users who are not familiar with Korean football stadiums,

1. The official name is Seoul Worldcup Stadium and Sang-am is the name of the district where it's located.

2. Venue for the opening match of 2002 Korea-Japan Worldcup France VS Senegal.

3. Home of Korean National Team, succeededy by Seoul Olympic Stadium in Jamsil. It has been also used by FC Seoul which is the only Seoul-based football club playing in K-League(the top professional fooball league in South Korea) since 2004. FYI, FC Seoul is still under severe criticism from many K-League fans for their relocation of regional base from Anyang to Seoul in 2004.

4. It's the largest football-specific stadium in Asia seating up to 66,806 people, followed by Saitama Stadium in Japan which has the capacity of 63,718. Football-specific here means that it has no athletics tracks around the pitch.

5. Amenities
- 56 luxury suites called "Sky Box" with 6 different types(Type A∼Type F)
- 816 VIP seats
- 754 media seats

6. The roof and the supporting pillars are designed to symbolize Korea's traditinal shield kite called "Bangpaeyoun" and masts for yellow sails called "Whangpododdae" respectively.

7. This architectural beauty made it chosen among "Ten most beautiful stadiums in the world" along with other world-famous masterpieces such as Santiago Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Stade de France by an English football magazine "World Soccer" in 2003.

[PS] For your understandings I just added images of Bangpaeyoun and Whangpododdae

Last edited by Carrerra; June 2nd, 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Carrerra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM   #44
Carrerra

Being one of few Korean users primarily participating in discussions on Stadiums and Sports Arenas part of this forum, I've seen many cases where foreign users call 2002 FIFA Worldcup in a wrong way.

Many of them call it "Japan/Korea Worldcup" but this is wrong. The correct title for it is "Korea/Japan Worldcup" because it was agreed between Korea and Japan that in return for Japan hosting the Finale, our country will host the opening match and have a priority in the title.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM   #45
Carrerra

Quote:
baseball has been quite popular traditinally in korea,.. although the football was overwhelmingly popular by the influence of worldcup at one time but not now that much, so it's hard to say which of both is more popular now,..
the fact is, baseball not popular as much as in US, and football is not popular as much as europe,,

so investment about the baseball stadiums has been little so far, while football stadiums has quite much for worldcup.. thus, about the baseball stadiums, it's not worth to sightsee, cuz all those are old and out of date (moreover architecturally those were unseemly). but lately, new investments are being planned.

samples of new investments lately as follows :

Gocheok-dong, Seoul

Dome stadium in Ansan
Besides Gocheok Stadium which will be built by the municipality in return for the demolition of Dongdaemoon baseball stadium, I don't see any chance of happening for Ansan Dome.

They are planning to construct the dome whose estimated cost is as much as 700 million USD "solely with private money" but who will pay the money in a country where pro-baseball league draws less than 10 thousand people per game and the average ticket price is just 5-6 dollars?

Baseball should host a big-scale international event just like football did. That's the only way that such a state-of-the-art stadium as Ansan Dome can be built with a strong possibility in Korea. For Korean government who is crazy only about international events, it's unimaginable to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in stadium infrastructure "just" for domestic leagues.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #46
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Besides Gocheok Stadium which will be built by the municipality in return for the demolition of Dongdaemoon baseball stadium, I don't see any chance of happening for Ansan Dome.

They are planning to construct the dome whose estimated cost is as much as 700 million USD "solely with private money" but who will pay the money in a country where pro-baseball league draws less than 10 thousand people per game and the average ticket price is just 5-6 dollars?

Baseball should host a big-scale international event just like football did. That's the only way that such a state-of-the-art stadium as Ansan Dome can be built with a strong possibility in Korea. For Korean government who is crazy only about international events, it's unimaginable to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in stadium infrastructure "just" for domestic leagues.
Remember, the World Baseball Classic is looking for venues to settle in.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/wbc_09/index.jsp
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #47
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 209

Anyone heard of this Seoul Dome project? The upper two renderings may be depicting this stadium. It will replace the Dongaemun Baseball Stadium. That and the Dongdaemun Athletics Stadium are being demolished right now. The flea market inside the stadium was total balls anyway.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #48
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 5960

Asan Gymnasium opened inside Ulsan College, Dong-gu, Ulsan, last year.

* facility : ice link, tennis court, ski, dance, attached football field, etc.
* official website : http://asan.uc.ac.kr/info/info_greeting.asp

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #49
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
For foreign users who are not familiar with Korean football stadiums,

1. The official name is Seoul Worldcup Stadium and Sang-am is the name of the district where it's located.

2. Venue for the opening match of 2002 Korea-Japan Worldcup France VS Senegal.

3. Home of Korean National Team, succeededy by Seoul Olympic Stadium in Jamsil. It has been also used by FC Seoul which is the only Seoul-based football club playing in K-League(the top professional fooball league in South Korea) since 2004. FYI, FC Seoul is still under severe criticism from many K-League fans for their relocation of regional base from Anyang to Seoul in 2004.

4. It's the largest football-specific stadium in Asia seating up to 66,806 people, followed by Saitama Stadium in Japan which has the capacity of 63,718. Football-specific here means that it has no athletics tracks around the pitch.

5. Amenities
- 56 luxury suites called "Sky Box" with 6 different types(Type A∼Type F)
- 816 VIP seats
- 754 media seats

6. The roof and the supporting pillars are designed to symbolize Korea's traditinal shield kite called "Bangpaeyoun" and masts for yellow sails called "Whangpododdae" respectively.

7. This architectural beauty made it chosen among "Ten most beautiful stadiums in the world" along with other world-famous masterpieces such as Santiago Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Stade de France by an English football magazine "World Soccer" in 2003.

[PS] For your understandings I just added images of Bangpaeyoun and Whangpododdae

Carrerra,, you gave us great infos.. thanks !!
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #50
Carrerra

This is what I posted in Stadiums and Sport Arenas section. I wish good luck to Sungui Arena and Incheon Utd, furthermore, K-League and Korean football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sungui Arena (20,000)

Future homeground of Incheon Utd which plays in K-League(Top professional division in South Korea). The anena will have the capacity of 20,000 with future expansion up to 22,000 and is under construction now, due to be completed in 2010. Construction began on the 13th of this month with explosive demolition of old Sungui Stadium which was built in 1934. In fact Sungui Arena is a part of Sungui redevelopment plan in Incheon. As you guess in the renderings, besides football arena, the project includes housing and commercial complexes which are represented by 3 high rise buildings with 47, 51, 52 stories each, on the total plot of 90,127 squre meters.

On one end of the stadium there is no wall so that it's open to citizens for tour and recreation in non-match days. As you see in the overviews, the project will be executed so compactly in space that there is practically no room for expansion except on one behind-goal side of the arena and that's why the stadum cannot help having so small expansion possible(2K) in the future. Sungui Arena is scheduled to be augurated in 2010 but the whole project, taking 3 more years, will be completed in 2013.

[Rendering]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[Present home of Incheon Utd]

Incheon Worldcup Stadium. It was inaugurated in Feb 2002 and has 50,256 seats. As you guess from the name, it is one of ten 2002 Worldcup stadiums on Korean side and will be used for special or big matches since the completion of the new arena in 2010.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[old Sungui Stadium which is now gone away]

Built in 1934, the stadium had 25,000 seats and 35,000 capacity including up to 10,000 standing spectators. As you can guess in the second picture, in fact the stadium was a part of sports complex which includes baseball stadium and gymnasium. The gym and the baseball stadium will be knocked down in upcoming September and October of this year respectively, in conventional demolition method using cranes and excavators. Fyi, substitues for soon-to-be-demolished gym and baseball stadium was already built and has been used by other professional sport clubs based in Incheon since many years ago.

As I said before, demolition of the old stadum occurred in 13th June 2008, using 20Kg explosives and 490 detonators and the stadium said goodbye to the world in just 5 seconds.

Last edited by Carrerra; June 29th, 2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding capacity and inauguration year of Incheon Worldcup Stadium
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #51
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Great !
especially, in Sungui Arena, it looks closer between field and stand rather than that of Munhak stadium.. and generally looks great,, my fav..
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #52
Carrerra

Yes, according to the club management, the stands will be only 6 meters away from the pitch in Sungui Arena, which is among the closest together with Pohang Steelyard and Gwangyang football stadium in Korea. Compared to Worldcup stadiums, it has even smaller gap than any other stadium with no athletics tracks, let alone one with them like Incheon Worldcup Stadium. For example, Ulsan Worldcup Stadium is known to have the smallest gap out of Korea's WC stadiums but the gap is as large as 10 meters.

In fact, under FIFA regulation, any WC stadium should have the minimum distance of 8.5 meters on the sides and 10 meters on the ends, as you see in the below picture, and that's why recently built stadiums with over 40K capacity, which is a minimum size for hosting WC, tend to have bigger gaps than old stadiums with the similar size do - I mean, future WC bids are taken into account with them.

Last edited by Carrerra; June 29th, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #53
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

that's new infos, for me, thanx....
maybe, that's new regulation? oh..,. I have no idea why FIFA do such bullshit regulation..
I feel, the smaller gap, more exciting for watchers, duhhh.

Last edited by Mussoda; June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #54
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Sajik baseball stadium in Busan,
it's Lotte Giants home ground..

Last edited by Mussoda; April 24th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #55
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

You can find the baseball stadium at this pic..

Quote:
"Busan Asiad Main Stadium", worldcup stadium in Busan.

Old June 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #56
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

What Carrerra means by the Civil Gymnasium in his post is the 3000-seat gymnasium located just west of the stadium. Is it listed as the Incheon Arena on World Stadiums? I don't know when the gym or the baseball field were first constructed. Also, there is a swimming facility to the west of the gymnasium. Are they going to demolish that building, too?

Last edited by Jim856796; June 30th, 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #57
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
What Carrerra means by the Civil Gymnasium in his post is the 3000-seat gymnasium located just west of the stadium. Is it listed as the Incheon Arena on World Stadiums? I don't know when the gym or the baseball field were first constructed. Also, there is a swimming facility to the west of the gymnasium. Are they going to demolish that building, too?
yep. according to this article, the gymnasium next to stadium will be demolished in September, this year, and next, the baseball stadium, in October, this year..

* PS : this Sungui was not a world cup stadium, 2002. but new Sungui arena park will ba arena for 2014 Asian Games.

Quote:
인천 숭의종합경기장 74년만에 발파 해체
2008-06-13 17:16 (인천=연합뉴스)

김윤구 기자 = 인천 숭의종합경기장이 13일 오후 발파공법에 의해 해체되고 있다. 숭의종합경기장은 일제시대인 1920년 육상장으로 처음 조성됐으며 지난 한세기 인천 체육의 산실 역할을 해 왔다.

아레나파크, 축구전용구장과 주상복합 등 건설

신민재 기자 = 지난 한세기 인천 체육의 역사와 영광을 함께 한 인천시 남구 숭의종합경기장이 13일 오후 주민과 관계 공무원 등 100여명이 지켜보는 가운데 발파, 해체됐다.

숭의종합경기장은 1934년 건립된 후 계속 증설돼 1964년 전국체전을 치르면서 오늘날의 모습을 갖췄다.

경기장 해체에는 인천에선 처음으로 정밀진동제어 발파공법이 적용됐다. 관람석 1만석 규모의 대형 경기장은 20㎏의 화약과 490여개 뇌관에 의해 발파 5초만에 완전히 무너졌다.

오는 9월 철거될 숭의종합경기장 옆 체육회관과 10월 철거 예정인 숭의야구장은 발파가 아닌 기계식으로 각각 해체된다.

인천시는 숭의종합경기장 발파, 해체 과정을 동영상에 담아 2010년 개장하는 축구전용구장 내 역사관에 경기장 모형과 철거 전후의 모습, 항공사진, 철거 구조물 잔해 등과 함께 전시할 계획이다.

숭의운동장 부지 등 9만㎡는 인천도시개발공사와 현대건설 컨소시엄이 설립한 특수목적법인(SPC)인 아레나파크개발이 오는 2013년까지 축구전용구장과 750여가구의 주상복합, 상업시설 등을 갖춘 '숭의아레나파크'로 개발한다.

Last edited by Mussoda; July 1st, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM   #58
Carrerra

Quote:
that's new infos, for me, thanx....
maybe, that's new regulation? oh..,. I have no idea why FIFA do such bullshit regulation..
I feel, the smaller gap, more exciting for watchers, duhhh.
Apparently for safety reasons - I mean, in order to prevention of pitch invasion, but the real purpose is to give more spacious room for photographers and broadcast staff, which is directly involved with the most important thing to FIFA - Money!

And about the history of that bull shit regulation, it's not new and pretty old though I don't know how exactly old. In fact, it was one of controversies that American venues, all of which was used for American football, have so small gaps in 94 USA WC. That's because Ameican football has even smaller width in pitch dimensions than association football (soccer in American English) does. Dimensions of American football are 109.7M (120 yards) X 48.8M (53.3 yards) but those of soccer are 105M X 68M, which used to be just a recommendation in the past but was made a regulation this year. See below article.

http://sports.media.daum.net/nms/soc...&newsid=323584

Take Giants Stadium in New York which was one of 94 WC venues as an visual example. This picture was taken during a international friendly Argentina VS USA in GS. As you see, it has very, very small room for auxiliary area on the sides. I think the problem will be a not-so-small-headache in future bids for second USA Worldcup.

Old July 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #59
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

haha...yeah, I see...

and yeah,, the GS has really small gap.. omg..
it seems to be very easy of a nude lunatic to get into the pitch.. lol..
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #60
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Quote:
yep. according to this article, the gymnasium next to stadium will be demolished in September, this year, and next, the baseball stadium, in October, this year..

* PS : this Sungui was not a world cup stadium, 2002. but new Sungui arena park will ba arena for 2014 Asian Games.
I meant the swimming facility west of the gymnasium.