daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2141
rohank

Likes (Received): 0

Smile CISF takes charge of security at BIA

CISF takes charge of security at BIA

DH News Service ,Bangalore:

In preparation for the launch of the Bengaluru International Airport, the CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) has been handed over the responsibility for security.

In a formal ceremony held this week, the CISF team led by Digvijay Kumar Singh, Commandant, CISF was welcomed by Albert Brunner, CEO, BIAL. The CISF has been inducted into the new airport and 770 CISF personnel will be deployed at BIAL for airport security purposes. This number will increase to 1,039 including the land side security.
In the first phase of security coverage, CISF will exercise access control to the Terminal Building and to the airside through control of the perimeter gates. A ring of security will be laid along the perimeter including manning of all the watch towers. The security cover will further be advanced on May 20, 2008 when the CISF will apply all security norms in compliance with the regulations laid down by the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
The Commandant, CISF assured BIAL that they will employ security procedures in sync with ICAO so that passenger satisfaction level is at par with international airports. In the coming months, the CISF at the new airport plans to be ISO 9001:2000 certified.
Formal inauguration
The Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) will be formally inaugurated in the presence of the State and Central Government on a suitable date in the month of June 2008.
But the airport will become commercially operational on May 23 following the approval of the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation. The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) on Friday made a formal announcement to this effect.
The switch to the new airport will take place at midnight (00:01 hours of May 23).
All flights landing and departing after midnight will operate from the new airport and flights arriving before midnight (on May 22, 2008) and departing after midnight will also operate from the new airport.
rohank no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2142
rohank

Smile Hop on to Vayu Vajra to reach new airport

Hop on to Vayu Vajra to reach new airport

DH News Service,Bangalore:

Its official finally. The Vayu Vajra Volvo bus service to the Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) at Devanahalli will begin operations at precisely 4 pm on May 22.

And that’s not the only good news. Airline passengers can reserve the tickets on the bus to BIA through a dedicated travel portal and even hire a taxi, get picked him from home to the nearest volvo stop and zip to Devanahalli, all in cool airconditioned comfort.

With the opening of the greenfield airport confirmed, the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation has told Deccan Herald on Friday that all 40 airport buses routes across nine dedicated services to BIA will begin its first run on the evening of 22.

What’s more, as a inaugural bonanza, the first trip on all routes to BIA will be free to passengers. Upendra Tripathy, managing director of BMTC said public transport undertaking has been allotted space to park its 40 Volvo and 100 Suvarna and Parisara Vahini vehicles at a exclusive bus bay in BIA.

Ticket portal

“We have finalised the online ticket portal and the 24/7 dedicated taxi hotline services where, a commuter has to just login and book tickets through ‘Viaworld.in’ and make a payment through cards and head for the nearest volvo bus stop and zip to BIA. The commuter will also have a choice to have him/her picked up right from home or a hotel through a cab, equipped with GPS, to the volvo stop,” he said.

Ten seats will be offered on each Vayu Vajra bus. “Commuters can book tickets from either ‘www.viaworld.in or through a link at www.bmtcinfo.com or call 080-41431000. A fee of Rs five will be charged on each ticket.

500 taxi cabs sporting a BMTC logo will pick-up you up from home or a hotel, if you are a traveller who has checked into a hotel, that is and head for the nearest airport volvo stop and help you board the bus.

BMTC has selected Cel Cabs and SGL who will offer their vehicles as a airport dedicated service, providing a choice of vehicles such as a/c Indica, Indigo, Innova and Sumo cabs. These GPS (Global Positioning Systems) will be able to monitor the movement of every Vayu Vajra bus to the stop to ensure that the commuter does not miss the bus, by even a second.

A discount of 25 per cent will be offered on the volvo bus ticket, if commuters use the taxi services. Fares start at Rs 100 for a Indica car with a choice of vehicles upto an Innova SUV for Rs 234. You can call 6090 6090 and 4299 4399. These numbers will be operational from 22 May to coincide with the Vayu Vajra services.

Routes to BIA

Vayu Vajra routes to BIA from: - Hebbal, Mysore Road terminus, Jeevan Bima Nagar, HAL airport, J P Nagar 6th phase, Whitefield, Koramangala, Electronic City and Kempegowda bus station.
rohank no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #2143
rohank

Bengaluru International Airport announces operational start date

http://www.moodiereport.com/document...3&doc_id=17496

Bengaluru International Airport announces operational start date; CISF takes over security responsibility – 16/05/08
Source: ©The Moodie Report

By Matt Willey

Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) today announced that Bengaluru International Airport will become fully operational on 23 May, following approval from the Ministry of Civil Aviation. A full inauguration ceremony will take place in June.

The switch to the new airport will take place at midnight on 23 May, with all flights landing and departing after midnight operating from Bengaluru International.

India's Central Industrial Security Force was handed responsibility for security at Bengaluru International Airport at a ceremony held this week
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In preparation for the launch, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has been handed responsibility for security. In a formal ceremony held this week, the CISF team led by Commandant Digvijay Kumar Singh was welcomed by BIAL CEO Albert Brunner.

Commandant Singh assured BIAL that security procedures would be employed in accordance with ICAO recommendations, to ensure passenger satisfaction levels. The CISF also planned to be ISO 9001:2000 certified in the near future.

Some 770 CISF personnel will be deployed at BIAL to maintain airport security. Over time, this number will increase to 1,039, including landside security.
rohank no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #2144
bialterminal

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkramesh View Post
Yes I do remember a newspaper article on this aircraft that crashed - the only fatal civilian crash at HAL in Feb 90 I think it was. The Pilots hadnt really gotten the hang of the Fly-by-wire systems of the New A320 then. So the aircraft descended earlier than it should have and bounced off the golf course before it's final firey resting place...

That article indicated that HAL runway was well designed and it's natural topology (where the two extremities of the runway - the touch down points, were lower than its central portion ) aided aircraft in take offs and landings. Does anyone have any info on when this airport was first opened(sometime in the 60s i believe) to civilian traffic and if there was any other civilian airport in Blore before? I do remember an old small terminal located adjacent to the main tarmac block currently used.
This is the one located opposite the Aerospace museum on the way to Marathalli.

A bit of history here on this momentus occasion when Blore fianlly gets a proper civilian Airport would be in order methinks...

I am sure BIAL's runways will be easy, maybe even easier, to use given that the geographic topology around there is relatively flat with Nandi Hills at a distance.
I think this should give a bit of history on the HAL airport -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_Airport#Overview
bialterminal no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2145
vvr

Likes (Received): 48

What a quandry!

There is an interesting article on the front page of today’s Times of India entitled “Bangalore, Inc. feels it needs HAL Airport”. The article quotes several IT “honchos” (god, how I hate this word) and prominent citizen-members of the Bangalore City Connect Foundation (BCCF) as saying that business coming to Bangalore will decline as a result of the new airport. (“In the first year of BIA opening, the industry will see a degrowth of between 5% and 10%” -- Mohandas Pai of Infosys). By the way, is “degrowth” a real word?

Got me thinking as a not-so-prominent non-member of the BCCF. Our water, power and sewage infrastructure is already the envy of the developed world; we breathe the purest air there is on the planet; we have the best public transportation system in the world; our roads are so silken smooth that driving on them gives the impression of flying on the magic carpet; our solid waste disposal system is so classy that city administrators from all around the county come to study it; the civic sense of our denizens is so acute that anyone acting in violation of the law (however rare that might be) is pounced on and punished by the rest of us and should we citizens miss any such transgression, we have nothing to fear because we have the best police force that money can buy ( no, no not in the sense you are thinking!!). Our political system is so transparent that we know exactly who is pocketing how much. And if this was not enough, we have the most welcoming business climate in the universe.

Damn, if only we could keep HAL open. Investment would come flying in (although on the wings of ATR-42s and ATR-72s presumably), our skies will continue to get bluer and our trees greener, if that is even possible and so on and so forth.

But then I thought, if HAL stays open there will be no other cause to champion for our worthies like RK Mishra, Kiran Shaw, Mohandas Pai and others and that surely would be a calamity because these are smart, intelligent billionaires (or at least some of them) and we surely do not want to lose their nation-building fervor.

On the other hand if HAL does close down, we Bangaloreans cannot showcase the 24X7 ankle-deep garbage at the HAL parking lot to our potential overseas clients. What a tragedy.

God, what a quandry.
vvr no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2146
bialterminal

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith_suv View Post
All right Mohan sir , I know that HAL was light years behind any modern intl airport and for the mater I work as a capital analyst for Barclaycard and I'm witness to airports such as Kingsford Smith , Dallas , JKF and Heathrow so refrain from taking cheap shots at my international exposure.

B'lore is like a second home to me after Delhi and I'm aware of HAL's shortcomings but the airport has served millions of us safely and should be appreciated for that , it's not the officials working there fault that B'lore traffic grew and airport became congested. It's fine if you don't agree with me that HAL served us decently for many decades but I'm sure you can put forward you point in a civilized manner and the fact that you're no one to order anyone to STOP appreciating HAL , you don't do it - who is forcing you.

You may be having much more expriance than me in infrastructure views (after all , you existed in 50's) but try not to take anyones view as trash.

In case you don't know , everyone matters around here.
The only thing to appreciate about HAL is that it miraculously functioned! It is no doubt a substandard airport. I arrived on May 4th via Delhi. The domestic arrival section did not have trolleys; passengers were going out of the secure area to the road and returning back to the secure baggage claim area with trolleys. What a security nightmare? It is a miracle nothing has happened so far. This way it is easy for anybody to board an aircraft without chekin or security check. Well, after getting out of the airport, forget it, it is utter chaos and all hell breaking loose; we were nearly run over by at least 3 or 4 vehicles before reaching our taxi. Other international airports do have problems of their own but those problems pale in comparison to the state run airports in India.
I hope BIAL installs revolving doors while exiting from the baggage reclaim area to prevent reverse flow of passengers & ensure adequate supply of luggage carts at all times.
bialterminal no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #2147
zenith_suv

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvr View Post
There is an interesting article on the front page of today’s Times of India entitled “Bangalore, Inc. feels it needs HAL Airport”. The article quotes several IT “honchos” (god, how I hate this word) and prominent citizen-members of the Bangalore City Connect Foundation (BCCF) as saying that business coming to Bangalore will decline as a result of the new airport. (“In the first year of BIA opening, the industry will see a degrowth of between 5% and 10%” -- Mohandas Pai of Infosys). By the way, is “degrowth” a real word?

Got me thinking as a not-so-prominent non-member of the BCCF. Our water, power and sewage infrastructure is already the envy of the developed world; we breathe the purest air there is on the planet; we have the best public transportation system in the world; our roads are so silken smooth that driving on them gives the impression of flying on the magic carpet; our solid waste disposal system is so classy that city administrators from all around the county come to study it; the civic sense of our denizens is so acute that anyone acting in violation of the law (however rare that might be) is pounced on and punished by the rest of us and should we citizens miss any such transgression, we have nothing to fear because we have the best police force that money can buy ( no, no not in the sense you are thinking!!). Our political system is so transparent that we know exactly who is pocketing how much. And if this was not enough, we have the most welcoming business climate in the universe.

Damn, if only we could keep HAL open. Investment would come flying in (although on the wings of ATR-42s and ATR-72s presumably), our skies will continue to get bluer and our trees greener, if that is even possible and so on and so forth.

But then I thought, if HAL stays open there will be no other cause to champion for our worthies like RK Mishra, Kiran Shaw, Mohandas Pai and others and that surely would be a calamity because these are smart, intelligent billionaires (or at least some of them) and we surely do not want to lose their nation-building fervor.

On the other hand if HAL does close down, we Bangaloreans cannot showcase the 24X7 ankle-deep garbage at the HAL parking lot to our potential overseas clients. What a tragedy.

God, what a quandry.
Each and every line of what you had written has me laughing out loud with the sarcasm , HAL is beyond it's shelf life and continuing traffic over there means inviting disaster , there is a time for everything and for HAL - time is well and truly up , weather BIAL is a exceptional alternative still remains to be seen.

To the person who mentioned something about migrants wanting this and that , please grow up . B'lore is a metro now so try to broaden your horizon.

and finally to Kolkatausa - I feel you have a very vaild point and I'll add this to the list of potential complaints or feedback to be sent to BIAL on the lines of of what Mailabode said.
zenith_suv no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #2148
zenith_suv

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
HARD DAYS AHEAD
Karnataka Inc wants HAL airport too
Says Or Else City Will Lose Its Easy-Access Tag
Anshul Dhamija | TNN

Bangalore: The government’s decision to slam shut the gates of HAL airport has left Karnataka Inc fuming. A protest meet organized by members of Bangalore City Connect Foundation here on Friday unanimously felt the state will pay a huge price if it closed the existing airport as it would rob Bangalore of its ‘most soughtafter, easy-access destination’ status.

Interestingly, even before the scheduled opening of the greenfield Bengaluru International Airport (BIA) on May 23, there are concerns about its capacity.

The galaxy of industry captains felt, “The state in general and Bangalore in particular has taken a huge beating in terms of business growth. Amid never-ending infrastructure woes, haggling between authorities like BIA, HAL and AAI, coupled with political instability, in the last six months nothing has happened in the state in terms of business growth.”

Of late, the city, grappling with limited air traffic capacity and lack of infrastructure, has put off investors from bringing in the moolah. With the growing concerns about BIA, the IT industry is warily watching the situation.

The closure of HAL airport will only make things worse, they said. For instance, the investor community and foreign trade clients of the city’s leading IT and BPO firms have already indicated their intentions of looking beyond Bangalore.

“We predict a 20% decline in growth of the IT industry in the next couple of years if Bangalore continues to face problems of limited air traffic capacity, congestion and bad infrastructure. This is inevitable as BIA does not offer any respite. The IT industry is already facing a slowdown. We are already seeing our clients favour destinations such as Chennai, Hyderabad and Mumbai. Currently, Chennai is the hot favourite where investment is concerned,’’ said T V Mohandas Pai, head (education & training), Infosys Technologies, at the forum’s media interaction to voice concerns on the Centre’s decision on closing down HAL airport once BIA is operational.

“In the first year of BIA opening, the industry will see a degrowth of between 5% and 10%,” added Pai. Echoing this thought, Sudip Banerjee, president, enterprise solutions, Wipro Technologies, said, “Seeing the long distances one has to travel from the new airport and traffic congestion that will arise, our IT clients have already sounded us out that they would prefer meetings in Mumbai, New Delhi and Chennai.”

Vijay Chandru, head of the Operations, Research Council of India, said, “Once BIA opens, the central parts of the city will witness an unprecedented increase in traffic by 200%.” Brunner announces opening to colleagues TIMES NEWS NETWORK
Bangalore: It’s official. BIAL CEO Albert Brunner sent an e-mail on Wednesday to the BIAL group, IT honchos and people in the related sectors. Subject: Airport opening.

The e-mail informs about the silent opening of Bengaluru International Airport as well as another formal inauguration in June.

Dear Colleagues,
It’s rather been a long wait for BIAL to achieve our goal, the opening of our airport. Putting an end to all the speculation about the opening date, I am glad to announce that BIAL will start operation on 23rd May, 2008 at 01 hrs (midnight of 22nd May, 2008).

Consequent to the productive meeting we had with the ministry of civil aviation on Monday, we received a verbal confirmation for a “silent” opening on the 23rd May, 08 from the ministry yesterday. The gazette notification from the ministry on this is expected in a day or two.

Silent opening means that we will open the airport in a fullfledged way (that means for all traffic), but without any ceremony. No dignitaries will be present. A formal ceremony in the presence of state and central government will take place in June.

Another highlight is that the ministry has confirmed that the HAL airport will not be operational following the opening of our airport, which was also one of the most heart burning issues for us.

Going back to a little bit of history, as already mentioned in a few occasions, we have been toiling hard for the past six years to overcome all hurdles in making this dream project come true. We have left no stone unturned to realize this outstanding project. What we have achieved today is the result of a fantastic teamwork.

I take this opportunity to congratulate each one of you and to express my gratitude for this patient wait and your unstinted contribution to achieve this milestone.

Please be aware: We have only 8 days left yet a lot more to do. Therefore, let me request you to carry on this great effort during this last phase too. Let us work hard together to make our airport one of the best airports in India from the day one. I count on you thank you!
Albert Brunner
Chief Executive Officer Bangalore International Airport Limited.
vvr , I think this was the article you were referring to
zenith_suv no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #2149
rkramesh
Ramesh

Likes (Received): 5

Ha Ha well written vvr - What a quandry indeed - well only a short wait now to see if we can swin out of it and shake all those dirty droplets off soon...

And thanks for the wiki link on HAL history Bialterminal - but i had already seen that - was wondering of anyone had snippets from the past - like did Blore have any civil aviation before the 60s ? and maybe pics of the good ol days. I do have some snaps from my first air trip in 79 BLR-BOM from the HAL airport - but stashed away in a cupboard back in India. A simple boxy building with big banners proclaiming the induction of widebodied comfort in the domestic skys with the induction of the A300s...

Flying was a big thing then n passengers were treated very graciously...
rkramesh no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #2150
CapeComorin

Aah, I'll miss the old cowshed and the mosquitoes!

Bangalore is growing in a hurry, like a prodded cow. Eventually the road and rail situation will work out, and BIAL will be the jewel in BLR's crown.

So hats off to Messrs Brunner and co - Padma Shris for the team?
CapeComorin no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2151
CapeComorin

One last suggestion: BIAL should have a cell-phone parking hold. This where cars waiting to pick up pax wait until they get a pick up call. This really helps with the congestion at the pick-up area - (YOW, DCA are good examples).

Thanks
CapeComorin no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #2152
Vishal Jolapara

Likes (Received): 7

Smile URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelaturi View Post
Hi Vishal,

The BIAL tour was organized by Bangalore Praja. The main person to contact there is Pranav <silkboard@gmail.com>. He was in touch with Shane and Mithun of BIAL PR Dept. You should probably write to Pranav at the above address and check out. My ID in Praja is madhu_nr....

Many of the excellent BIAL photos during our tour were clicked by Praveen Sundaram (priyaprav@gmail.com) aka Photoyogi.

Regards
Many thanks for your help my friend.

I am in contact with the above people & lets see what unfolds, and i'm coming over to Bangalore in anycase.

Would anyone know a place where i can get a reasonably clean & inexpensive accomodation ?
I'm looking to arrive in BLR about 3 days before HAL closes & going-by the scenario now - 23rd of May, i'll have to leave tommrw or the day after at the max. I'm looking to stay back till 3 days after BIAL commences operations.

I was in Bangalore in January & i could afford to be a bit extravagent then as i had company back then.
As of now i'm on a budget & all i'd like is just a clean & simple room with a decent bed to sleep on at night as i'd be out the whole day (clicking ).

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers - Vishal
Vishal Jolapara no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2153
Babji

Likes (Received): 53

Bangaluru news on BBC ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7405287.stm

Quote:
...A rally is planned for Saturday at the site of Bangalore's old airport.

Prominent members of Bangalore's business community are expected there, including Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, chief executive of Biocon, one of the country's largest pharmaceutical firms...
Babji no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #2154
purapagal

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babji View Post
I can bet that if the BIAL airport was in the south of the city say around Electronic City and the approach road just a mud track you won't see so many protests from the so called IT honchos.

We are just 2 lost souls living in a fish bowl year after year...
purapagal no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #2155
krinix

Likes (Received): 107

Its a sorry state of affairs. Everyone gunning for their own need.
krinix no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM   #2156
Babji

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
BIAL exploring real estate development around airport
BS Reporter / Chennai/ Bangalore May 21, 2008, 4:19 IST

The Bengaluru International Airport Limited (BIAL) is exploring real estate development around the airport. According to Anurag Mathur, joint managing director of Cushman & Wakefield, BIAL is planning to put up premium office space, technology centre and business centre over 150 acres.
"The company is also exploring major urban entertainment centre on an area of about 50 acres. The opening of the airport will set benchmark for airport real estate sector in the form of retail, office space, convention centre and hospitality," he added.

Globally, airports derive a large portion of their income from non-aeronautical revenue sources; Heathrow, San Francisco, Vancouver and Brisbane, bring in as much as 50 per cent of their revenues from retail and other non-aeronautical resources.

Anurag Mathur said, "With the greenfield projects in Hyderabad and Bangalore taking their maiden steps, India will soon replicate this potential revenue earning model."

BIAL has invested Rs 3 crore to construct 40,500 sft of retail, food and beverage (F&B) fixtures. When the initial phase of the airport becomes operational, about 31,500 sft of retail space and 9,000 sft of F&B space would be available.
cool.
Babji no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM   #2157
Silicon_Valley
Fade to Black!

Connectivity!

How about connectivity magic now?

Quote:
It was in the backdrop of shrill voices of apprehension over inadequate connectivity to BIA that the BBMP revealed plans for its nine magic box underpasses.

The idea of having underpasses with pre-cast elements was received with hope mixed with a bit of cynicism, thanks to the tough dates that were announced as deadlines.

But as Bangalore approaches the big day, — May 23 — the underpasses remain the only infrastructure project that has taken shape to meet at least parts of the connectivity demands. The latest one to show its magic is the underpass at BDA junction which will be thrown open to traffic on Wednesday.

But the time’s up for deadlines, denials and fresh deadlines as BIA gets set to commence operations. As a last-gap push is given to infrastructure projects that supplement the greenfield airport, TOI did a reality check of the condition of the stretch. And tried to see if the magic would work on the road to Devanahalli.

BBMP had taken up work on the magic box underpasses on nine locations. This apart, widening of some stretches all along the road leading to BIA is under way.

With the monsoon set to arrive, BBMP officials are keeping their fingers crossed over the new deadline. The Palike hopes to complete all the underpasses by July-end, if rain does not play spoilsport.

At the Highgrounds junction, utility-shifting is still being done. Soon after completion of this phase, work on the underpass will begin. At the Cunningham junction, the surface pass has been readied and vehicles are allowed to ply on it, to and from the airport.

It’s good news as far the BDA junction is concerned. The existing service roads could be used for free flow of vehicles. In order to avoid criss-crossing of vehicles coming from V S Raja Road and Mount Carmel Cross road, right side traffic will be allowed. That apart, two pedestrian passes have been provided for pedestrians.

The scene at Sanjaynagar is rather chaotic, though brisk work is going on. Commuters will have to negotiate their way through the dusty and unasphalted stretch up to Hebbal flyover for another month. Service roads are being readied while utility-shifting has also been taken up to ensure smooth work on the underpass. Once service roads are readied, traffic could be diverted to take up the main works.

At the CBI junction, work on the slightly elevated service road is being done from the junction to Hebbal flyover. Simultaneously, utility-shifting is being done. Retainer walls are being built in the middle of the road to launch pre-cast elements.

The underpass at Anandnagar junction is ready to carry vehicles, but the asphalting works will be done within a couple of days. Similarly, at Hebbal, the service lanes are being laid near the flyover to divert traffic. Work on the underpass will begin shortly. Widening of the road from Highgrounds Circle to Windsor Manor Hotel is expected to be over in a week. Road-widening from Sanjaynagar and Hebbal flyover is going on in full swing. Ten lane roads will be developed, of which six will be for vehicles on Bellary Road and four will be used as service roads.

In 45 days, the northern corridor stretch from Minsk Square to Hebbal will be ready for a smooth take-off, the authorities have promised. Hope this won’t turn out to be the "72-hour" promise to create the magic!
Silicon_Valley no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM   #2158
Silicon_Valley
Fade to Black!

It's amazing how this thread has gone dormant suddenly over the past couple of days when the airport is only one day away of its opening! At last BIA is seeing light of the day!
Silicon_Valley no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2159
ullasavadan

Likes (Received): 111

SC seeks talk details (A report in DH)

The Karnataka High Court has directed the Centre, the State government and the Airports Authority of India to provide details about renegotiations regarding the closure of the HAL airport and user development fee as directed by it on April 16.

The two-judge bench comprising Mr Justice Ram Mohan Reddy and Mr Justice Jawad Rahim, which heard the interlocutory petition filed by social worker B Krishna Bhat, Bangalore City Connectivity Foundation (BCCF) and advocate G R Mohan, sought the details regarding the consid-eration from the State, the Centre and AAI by May 22.

Counsel for the Centre said there had been two meetings involving the Chief Secretary and other senior officials on April 19 and May 12 and has found it impossible to retain the HAL airport. However, he did go into the details of the reason.

The bench on hearing this sought a detailed report following the court direction and ordered the Central officials to be present on May 22.

Petitioner Bhat stated that the decision to close the HAL airport has been taken under pressure as the BIAL is not willing to give up its right under the agreement it has drawn up with the government.

He pointed out that even the gazette notification on May 16 for the inauguration of BIAL has come following pressure from BIAL.

He said the government has failed to minimise the problems faced by the public and suggested that the airport transport service, economy and efficiency should improve before considering the closure.

Pointing out that the infrastructure including the road connectivity to Devanahalli is not yet ready and the airport authority itself is not yet clear whether it can function effectively from Devanahalli, he said that the decision for the quick inauguration is an attempt to pre-empt the dismissal of the PILs which are posted for June second week.

BCCF in its petition said that the new airport is already crowded with a capacity of just nine million, while the HAL airport has a capacity of 10.1 million and is therefore it is necessary to retain the HAL airport.
Advocate Mohan said the closure of airport will affect domestic travellers
ullasavadan está en línea ahora  
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2160
ullasavadan

Likes (Received): 111

International airport set for smooth takeoff on May 23 (A Report in DH)

The new Bangalore International Airport at Devanahalli is set to launch its operations on May 23, as all the preparatory work for the airport was completed, according to the project promoter, Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL).

BIAL CEO, Albert Brunner said all the new systems had been installed and personnel have been tested for effective operations. These included the ATC, immigration and customs.

The company also announced “critical passenger information” to ease transition to the BIA from the existing HAL airport.The opening was delayed for more than a month due to delay in installation of the ATC equipment.The recently completed Trumpet Interchange, allows passengers easy access from NH 7 directly to the Terminal Building and also eases the flow of traffic from the city.

In a release, Mr Brunner said it will be comfortable, convenient and economical with the fleet of BMTC AC Volvo buses, which will ferry passengers from 26 points on nine routes.The minimum fare for this service will be Rs 80 and a maximum of Rs 200.

The long distance of nearly 40 km from the city to the new airport had been seen as one of the main hurdles.This had led to various organisations and corporate leaders pressing for the retention of the existing HAL airport along with the new one.

No scope
However, the concession agreement, arrived at between the private promoters of the airport and the Union Civil Aviation Ministry stipulated that no other airport will operate commercial flights within 150 km radius.
Mr Brunner said simplified parking facilities had been put in place with the passengers being picked up or dropped in front of the terminal building.

The automated parking facility can accommodate 2,000 cars. At the new airport, careful planning had gone into the designing of the facilities to ensure the convenience of differently-abled passengers as well, he said.
Besides, the walkways from the parking area to the passenger terminal building have gently sloping ramps throughout and are wide enough to accommodate large electric powered wheelchairs, which will be available.
ullasavadan está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: