daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Old June 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #41
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Likes (Received): 96

Really good news!!!

Last time I was in Moscow I took about 2 hours to reach my house from Sheremetyevo airport. now things are really fast. and the trains look really nice!!

Just two questions: does anyone have a map of the line? Are there more russian airports with train/metro connections? thanks

Last edited by beto_chaves; June 19th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
beto_chaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #42
nemtirev
Free Southern Ossetia

Likes (Received): 0

Nice idea.But what about Ukraine there are too much of politics.
Слишком много политики на Украине,чтоб строить подобное
nemtirev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM   #43
X38

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I meant this:
Great! That might be intresting for lightrail cars as well!!!
Here in Antwerp, the want to connect the standard-gauge NMBS-railway with the Antwerp tram network (1000mm-gauge).
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #44
X38

Likes (Received): 21

Does anyone have an idea what such an installation cost?
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM   #45
growingup

Well, they can't cost much because there are many of them in Spain. These are used by CAF S-120 and Talgo S-130 to change from standard gauge in HSL to iberic gauge when necessary. In addition, I think you can dismount and move them to another place whenever the HSL is expanded. It takes a minute, in fact less than a minute, to change the gauge of a complete train. Here you can see it, same gauge changing facility as shown before, this one in Roda de Bara with a Talgo S-130 ( Max. speed when passsing through is 18 km/h):

And here you have another vid showing how it works:

Last edited by growingup; June 22nd, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
growingup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #46
Augusto

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
The question is, do locos/freight waggons exist for this technology or only EMUs? And is it cheaper to construct this new railway or exchange all your rolling stock?
Those questions are pointless if you consider that we need a new railway anyway: the cost will be the same whatever the gauge is. And if this railway is dedicated to the traffic to/from Russia why not to choose the broad gauge? So we could have a huge "land bridge" with the same gauge and same locomotive all the way to Asia.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #47
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Those questions are pointless if you consider that we need a new railway anyway: the cost will be the same whatever the gauge is. And if this railway is dedicated to the traffic to/from Russia why not to choose the broad gauge? So we could have a huge "land bridge" with the same gauge and same locomotive all the way to Asia.
So it would be better to use broad gauge to connect to Russia as opposed to standard gauge to connect with the rest of the EU?
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #48
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
So it would be better to use broad gauge to connect to Russia as opposed to standard gauge to connect with the rest of the EU?
Yes.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #49
Spam King
Taxation is Theft

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_chaves View Post
Really good news!!!

Last time I was in Moscow I took about 2 hours to reach my house from Sheremetyevo airport. now things are really fast. and the trains look really nice!!

Just two questions: does anyone have a map of the line? Are there more russian airports with train/metro connections? thanks
Vnukovo and Domodedova both already have direct rail connections to stations in the city centre.
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #50
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
Waste of money.
Waste of money? I thought that for a big and rich city like Moscow, spending a bit more for an important link to the airport is nothing. You have to admit that 130km/h is slow.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #51
edubejar

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Waste of money? I thought that for a big and rich city like Moscow, spending a bit more for an important link to the airport is nothing. You have to admit that 130km/h is slow.
How many stops does the train make? I did not see a map so I could not see from where in Moscow it departs and if any stops are made. If no stops are made, 130km/h may not be too slow, since it's a train and not a car or some tram sharing the right-of-way with cars. Also, how far is the journey?
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #52
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
I'm sure that there are much better thing to invest into than decreasing trip to airport by some 10 min.
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #53
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
I'm sure that there are much better thing to invest into than decreasing trip to airport by some 10 min.
Ok, I would rather spend money on building better railroads than glamorous metro stations.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #54
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Ok, I would rather spend money on building better railroads than glamorous metro stations.
Moscow stoped building glamorous metro stations long time ago.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #55
Club_Dru
World citizen

Amsterdam Central Station- Schiphol Station= $6,20 (15min)

From Schiphol airport there are about seven trains an hour to Amsterdam CS.
Schiphol has 6 underground railway platforms (Intercitytrains, local commuterstrains, Highspeedtrains (to Paris (TGV) and Frankfurt (ICE)), International trains (to Brussel (NS/B) and Berlin (DB))

The major passenger trainstation is directly underneath the passenger terminal complex and Schiphol Plaza Shoppingmall. Schiphol has intercity connections to all of the parts of The Netherlands.

The problem is traveling with the heavy luggage as there is no special racks for flightpasengers. Because the trains are mainly used bij commuters, that are traveling between Amsterdam->Schiphol<-Rotterdam/The Hague. The track is one of the buisiest and crowded in The Netherlands. The other problem is luggage thieves between Schiphol and Amsterdam CS. Between schiphol and Amsterdam CS, there a two other stations. The stations are located in a getto-area of west Amsterdam.

Last edited by Club_Dru; June 26th, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Club_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #56
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 6

gamma hamster..please for the sake of us all stop trying to make your country out as being the best in the world.

and here is an article about the opening:

Train Takes Stress Out of Sheremetyevo

By Max Delany

The unappealing choice between overpriced taxis and overcrowded minibuses stuck in traffic should be a thing of the past, after Sheremetyevo finally became the last of Moscow's big three airports to get a direct rail link to the city center.

At a gala ceremony of balloons, brass bands and red carpets Tuesday morning, ministers and railway officials rode the inaugural train to Sheremetyevo and opened the airport's gleaming new rail terminal.

That means that when the service opens for paying customers Wednesday, air travelers can skip the jams and go from Savyolovsky Station, just off the Third Ring Road in north-central Moscow, direct to Sheremetyevo in 35 minutes, for a price of 250 rubles ($10.50).

Trains will leave from Savyolovsky 24 times per day, at times running a twice-hourly service. Passengers have the option of checking in their luggage at the station and paying 350 rubles for a first-class seat on the train.

During the inaugural trip, journalists settled into the roomy, light-blue leather seats onboard the bright-red, Russian-made train. The latest flight departures scrolled across display screens in the state-of-the-art wagons.

After touring the new three-story rail terminal, the smell of fresh paint still heavy in the air, officials drank a midmorning toast of Moet champagne. Extra wagons had to be laid on after the number of reporters swelled to 250.

The glistening 60,000-square-meter terminal will eventually contain bars, shops and even a Starbucks and be capable of handling 7 million passengers per year. It is currently connected to Terminal 2 by a temporary walkway and to Terminals 1 and C by shuttle buses.

"You can understand how much will be saved by avoiding the transportation problems on Leningradskoye Shosse — all the time, nerves and money that people usually expend," Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said at the opening ceremony.

The long-awaited opening of the first direct link to what was once the capital's leading airport is just the latest step in speeding up the city's transport routes with its airports as part of a 5 trillion ruble ($250 billion) investment program.

By year's end, trains will also run direct to Sheremetyevo from Belorussky Station, and by 2015, one central rail terminal will service all the city's airports. The new link is operated by Russian Railways subsidiary Aeroexpress, which also operates the routes to other Moscow airports.

The 3 billion ruble ($127 million) terminal, funded nearly 50 percent by private investors, is also just the first step in revamping the aging Sheremetyevo Airport. Last year, work began on a long-awaited international terminal, and next year a major overhaul of Terminal 2 is planned for completion.

Explaining the pricing system, Aeroexpress general director Vladimir Petrov said Sheremetyevo had always been the most expensive Moscow airport and that the new service is better that those offered for other airports.

"Muscovites are perfectly able nowadays to pay 250 rubles to get to Sheremetyevo," Petrov said. In comparison, the 40-minute train ride from Paveletsky Station to Domodedovo, operated by Aeroexpress since 2002, costs 150 rubles ($6).

But it's not just potential train users that are set to benefit. The link is expected to alleviate the situation for drivers too — as it helps to take the strain off the often-overburdened roads leading to the airport.

Petrov said he expected the new rail link to cut the number of cars on Leningradskoye Shosse by 1.5 million per year.

Airlines operating out of Sheremetyevo were also breathing a sigh of relief, as the new rail link could help to lure back some of those passengers who have abandoned the airport in favor of its crosstown rivals.

"This has been needed for a long, time and we've been demanding it for a long time. It will help passengers avoid the headaches associated with getting to Sheremetyevo," said Valery Okulov, general director of state-controlled Aeroflot.

"It makes Sheremetyevo more attractive, as the airport lost out to Domodedovo and Vnukovo in large part because of transportations problems," Okulov said. "We are the most interested party and so we're satisfied now."

A gaggle of female Aeroexpress employees, wearing red blazers and skirts, seemed impressed by the new facilities.

"Everything seemed excellent to me and it was all so supermodern," said brunette wagon attendant Nina Zhuralyova, 20, after dozing through the return journey to Savyolovsky.

"I've been on the trains to … Domodedovo and Vnukovo — and this one is definitely the best," Zhuralyova said.

"The train is the very latest model," said train driver Igor Samolyotov, leaning out of the cab window after the journey. "Everything seemed to go well today."

Not quite everything went off without a hitch, however. As the first train pulled into the airport terminal, the glistening front wagon scraped against the platform, leaving an ugly meter-long gash in the paint for dignitaries to walk past. The officials' blushes were saved after the scar was quickly covered up by a conveniently placed bunch of balloons.

That wasn't the only problem. Regnum news agency reported that a later train taking journalists back to Moscow broke down. After a 20-minute wait, a new locomotive arrived to tow them to Savyolovsky.

lol
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #57
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
gamma hamster..please for the sake of us all stop trying to make your country out as being the best in the world.
I just said that there are more important things to invest into, or are you an illiteral retard who cannot read properly?
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM   #58
dösanhoro

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanite View Post
Reasonable compared to London Heathrow Expess which was 16 pounds when I was last there which is equivalent to about $32 US. In Brisbane, Aust its $13AUD from the airport to the city, which is about $12US.
There is a reason london has a reputation for being expensive. Anyway at that point I was confused if it is a special airport train or public tranport going also to the airport.
dösanhoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM   #59
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 39

thats great Moscow way to go connecting the airport to city centers by Rail.

alot of cities that has Rail or will have Rail should have this, even canada as well.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM   #60
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
Vnukovo and Domodedova both already have direct rail connections to stations in the city centre.
Thank you for the info!