daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #41
Indian Sun

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post

Raj,

First new secratriat was planned some where in OMR.. then the real estate boom started in OMR. Then it was planned in Stella Mary's campus by demolishing the existing college campus... then hunger strike by college girls....

And finally the secretarait has found a good place in old MLA hostel due to present government! Hope the construction starts soon. Otherwise in next period they will plan yet another new secretariat either on Marina or Mount road!!
it was Queen Mary's college, not stella maris...(not an issue anyway)

Sponsored Links

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #42
Raj_network
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post

Raj,

First new secratriat was planned some where in OMR.. then the real estate boom started in OMR. Then it was planned in Stella Mary's campus by demolishing the existing college campus... then hunger strike by college girls....

And finally the secretarait has found a good place in old MLA hostel due to present government! Hope the construction starts soon. Otherwise in next period they will plan yet another new secretariat either on Marina or Mount road!!
Arul,

I am very well know about this info long time before. In fact, I have attended the inagu function at Anna univeristy south side campus, later Amma Govt changed, that was dropped off.. I just posted this photo for FUN like another photo called "Mummy Returns" with Amma photo.. hope you remember and might see the smilies in my posting.

Now, For your kind info,

It was proposed in Queen Mary's college on the beach road, and demolishing 100 yrs old building british built the "Jeypore House" inside campus. Stalin interfere and went inside the college campus and supported the student protest of the college. Amma ordered police that to "Laththi charge" on Women student and arrested Stalin on that day. That is Amma's great govt. History!!

Please refer :
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...e-chennai.html

Amma govt was considered OMR and After Vandalur areas..It did not work out, bcas Amma wanted to show and build this prestigeous building, should be on the main road, all should see and praise her in future times(like Vidhan soudha in Blore)..

That's why she had chosen prime land on the Beach road facing Ocean and Anna University campus finally ( If it was built, this building would be on the road towards Raj Bhavan.. after taking Maraimalai Adigal bridge (alias Saida pet bridge) to Raj bhavan, Guindy.. just next to Saidapet Municipal Court!.

Dropped, Not just bcas of real estate boom in OMR..ultimate aim of amma is, it should be visible to everyone those who are coming to Chennai, see and admire her. That's it!.

Later she could not do that, bcas Ayya used his central govt power in 2004 -05, did not give give Forest dept and Environmental Clearance. ( T R baalu is shipping minister and Perambalur Raasa was environment). Ayya came back to power. We all know that Ayya will come and he will do everything "Ulta" as like Amma. Hence he stopped Anna university campus proposal and consider present Govt Garden's prime land in Mount Road.

Both Ayya and Amma intentions are same, they wanted to build this historical building in their period and it should be in prime land to visible to everyone those who are coming to Madras to see. And most important point, they wanted to get the name that "Hey, this new assembly built in Kalaingar Period, u know" and " Kalakar built this historical building".. like Raja Raja Cholan built Thanjavur Big Temple, Narashima Pallava built shore temple in Mahabs.

They wanted to print their name in the building histroy and laid stone. Who knows, after "Kalaakar" Karunanidhi time over, next varisu politician put this building in his name " Kalaingar Maaligai" .."கலைஞர் மாளிகை"..

Ayya is building this place on the Prime Road aka Mount Road where Chennai actual traffic heart beat starts.

As I refered in my previous post one time, also reason to choose this land, There will be Periyar Statue on the one side corner of the building, and Anna Statue on the another side corner of the building.

Why it should be so as per Kalakar :

Bcas They (especially Kalakar MK) entered in politics from Periyar's Dravidar Kalagam (DK) on 1942 and Exited with Anna's Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) on 1949.

That's why kalakar MK keep refering indirectly that this building will represent Dravidian culture and architecture, tradition.. not our own dravidian culture..Actually, Kalakar MK is referring his own dravidan style politics as usual in his "Chanakiya attitude".."சாணக்கியத்தனம்"!

Hope you got my points and this is exact story of this building (behind the screens ), and great "dravidan politics - திராவிட அரசியல்" in Tamil Nadu.

Anyway, thanks for your updates and keep comment. It will bring good ideas and truths.

Last edited by Raj_network; July 9th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Raj_network no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #43
Arasu
The King

Likes (Received): 399

[QUOTE=Raj_network;22391026]Arul,

Both Ayya and Amma intentions are same, they wanted to build this historical building in their period and it should be in prime land to visible to everyone those who are coming to Madras to see. And most important point, they wanted to get the name that "Hey, this new assembly built in Kalaingar Period, u know" and " Kalakar built this historical building".. like Raja Raja Cholan built Thanjavur Big Temple, Narashima Pallava built shore temple in Mahabs.

They wanted to print their name in the building histroy and laid stone. Who knows, after "Kalaakar" Karunanidhi time over, next varisu politician put this building in his name " Kalaingar Maaligai" .."கலைஞர் மாளிகை".. [ QUOTE]

Historically and culturally, Tamizhar have a tendency for extreme worship of gods and heros to the extent people were willing to hurt themselves mortally in the worship of both. In centuries past, we had kings who were our heros. In the recent days it is our movie heros that we worshipped. 'Kalaingnar' is neither a king nor a movie hero so our mass can worship but he is trying to be one (king) so Tamil people can worship long after he is gone as Raj_network mentioned (like Rajarajan and Pallava Narasimhan.) Therefore, his tendency to build monuments in TN (Valluvar Kottam, Poompuhar, Thiruvalluvar statue, Kalaingnar Maligai, etc.) in my opinion. May be his speaking and writing Sangathamizh made him think he is living in Sanga kalam. Anyway, his monument building exercise for posterity is better than spending 100 crores for a one day marriage ceremony, in my opinion.

Last edited by Arasu; July 9th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Arasu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #44
Raj_network
BANNED

Good for agreeing with me!

It is acceptable that Kalakar MK did some good things to Tamil lang. and Tamil culture compare to other ppl..

He built in the series.. such as Pumbhuar Kottam, Thiruvalluvar statue, Tamil Thai statue in madurai thamukam grounds, two world tamil conference, thiruvallvar statue in delhi, tamil made as india's first classical language, tamil pooja in temples and many..

Thangai (thanjavur) tamil university built by MGR period.

Last edited by Raj_network; July 10th, 2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #45
krishnancv

Likes (Received): 309

Any idea what will happen to Fort St. George after the new Assembly cum Secretariat is inaugurated?

Believe it would be converted to another museum or something. Prime land going wasted.
krishnancv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #46
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

To the best of my knowledge, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is taking over the fort and will establish a permanent museum there. If so, I wish it should be made world-class given its area and location.
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #47
nsantha2

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasnaboy View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is taking over the fort and will establish a permanent museum there. If so, I wish it should be made world-class given its area and location.
I think it would be great if they made a museum commemorating Chennai's past since 1639, and before that as well.
nsantha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #48
Marathaman
Mumbai ka king

Likes (Received): 1953

The design looks great, though I would have preferred if an Indian architect designed it...
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #49
Raj_network
BANNED

Kalaivanar Arangam "to go"

CHENNAI: Kalaivanar Arangam on Wallajah Road, one of the well known auditoriums in the city, will be demolished to pave way for the construction of the new Assembly complex.

The demolition is likely to begin in September, State Information and Public Relations department officials said.

When the State government decided to construct the new Assembly complex, Kalaivanar Arangam was not in the list of buildings that faced demolition. The original plan was to demolish all structures on the Government Estate, except Rajaji Hall, Kalaivanar Arangam and the Tamil Nadu Public Services Commission Office and the newly built MLA quarters.

Later, the government decided to pull down Kalaivanar Arangam and the TNPSC office to ensure easy access to the proposed complex. However, there is a plan to construct an auditorium as part of the new Assembly complex and it is likely to be named Kalaivanar Arangam.

The auditorium, named after late thinker-comedian N.S. Krishnan, was inaugurated in January 1974 by Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi. The hall with 1,039 seats always remained his favourite.

http://www.hindu.com/2008/07/21/stor...2152930100.htm
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #50
archmoonraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
oops, how did you break loose from the kilpauk hospital
DOES IT LOOK LIKE A HOSPITAL, MAY BE SO CLINICAL OR R U CYNICAL
archmoonraker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM   #51
archmoonraker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasnaboy View Post
Even if the construction starts now, the ruling party at the time of its inaguration will take the credit by erecting a board on their behalf. The two rival boards at the entrance of CMBT is an example.

IF AT ALL THE NEW ASSEMBLY BUILDING GETS BUILT THESE ARE THE POTENTIAL CHIEF MINISTERS WHO MAY DO THE HONOURS.

G K. VASAN
DR. RAMADOSS
CAPTIAN VIJAYKANTH
archmoonraker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM   #52
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 11

please keep your politics away from this thread & forum. This is a construction & architecture related discussion forum. Please don't say you have not been reminded. If you are repeatedly out of topic, I will ask for action to be taken against you by the relevent Mods.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #53
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 3877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist View Post
please keep your politics away from this thread & forum. This is a construction & architecture related discussion forum. Please don't say you have not been reminded. If you are repeatedly out of topic, I will ask for action to be taken against you by the relevent Mods.
I have been getting spam in my personal message folder for some time. I believe that only members can access and send messages. How come spams from unknown email ids are coming?

Mods! Pl look into this.

Thanks
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #54
Fusionist
unBANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
I have been getting spam in my personal message folder for some time. I believe that only members can access and send messages. How come spams from unknown email ids are coming?

Mods! Pl look into this.

Thanks
I never realised such things happened. This is for the Admins. I will ask them about this.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #55
Into_salem
Have a Nice Time....

Likes (Received): 23

TN govt's new office complex faces flak

CHENNAI: The public works department is on the demolition mode to make way for the new legislative Assembly-cum-Secretariat complex at the Omandurar government estate, bringing down in the process some famous landmarks standing testimony to the city's glorious past.

After tearing down the more than 250-year-old Admiralty House in spite of protests from conservationists, PWD officials are now set to demolish another landmark, Kalaivanar Arangam, an auditorium named after popular comedian 'Kalaivanar' N S Krishnan. The building, which also had the privilege of serving as the Madras Legislative Assembly, from 1952 to 57, was inaugurated by the then Madras Governor Sri Prakasa.

The new building was necessitated as the chamber at Fort St George could not accommodate all the members after the Assembly's strength was raised from 215 to 375 in the wake of delimitation of constituencies when the Constitution came into effect in 1950.

Following the linguistic reorganisation of states in 1956, the Assembly strength of the residuary Madras state was reduced from 375 to 205 in 1956 and the Assembly returned to its old chamber in Fort St George after the 1957 general elections.

In the 1960s, the building was converted into Balar Arangam (children's hall), where children's films in various languages, including Hollywood flicks like 'Tarzan' and 'The African Safari', were screened. The building was later renovated and converted into Kalaivanar Arangam, opened in 1974 by Karunanidhi who was then serving his second term as the chief minister.

PWD sources said the existing structure was weak and leaked during monsoons. However, sources in the government said the building, which was rebuilt only in the 70s, was strong enough and could have been spared.

Another notable structure that will go under the hammer is the 118-year-old building housing the Triplicane police station.

The building, inaugurated in 1890 during the tenure of Governor Lord Connemara, was the first police station in the city.

A plaque on the front wall of the glorious red building informs that one Col T Weldon was the commissioner of police then. Policemen there, however, are eager to move out of the "old building", saying all other police stations except theirs had been modernised.

The six-storied legislators' hostel, which was home for many MLAs until 2000, is next in the list to be pulled down. The tender for the demolition would be floated shortly and the process would begin in two months, an official said.

So far, three contractors have been awarded the contract to demolish the Admiralty house, AIWC high school and primary school buildings, old MLAs' quarters, Anbagam hotel and officers' quarters.

While the demolition of Admiralty House has been completed, the work on the school buildings would begin once they move to the new place being constructed for them at Chintandripet.

IAS officer Christodas Gandhi was among those who moved to a new accommodation before the officers' quarters could be demolished. But his neighbour and PMK President G K Mani is in no mood to give in easily: he has kept his office locked despite being served a notice.

One contractor complained that Mani was refusing to vacate despite being alloted a VIP room in the new MLA quarters. "Our work is being delayed because of him," he said.

Among other buildings that will make way for the new Secretariat-cum-Assembly complex are the sprawling offices of the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission and government publication 'Tamilarasu'.

The Tamil Nadu Tourism complex, which is barely 10 years old, will also be demolished along with the Triplicane fire station and quarters of the fire personnel and an electricity board office.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3261658.cms

Last edited by Into_salem; July 22nd, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Into_salem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #56
Raj_network
BANNED

German arch. team given Power Point Presentation and Animation DEMO to CM MK & Co.

புதிய சட்டசபை வளாகம்: கருணாநிதிக்கு ஜெர்மன் குழு விளக்கம்

சென்னை: புதிதாக கட்டப்படவுள்ள சட்டசபை வளாகத்தில் அமையவுள்ள பி பிளாக் குறித்து முதல்வர் கருணாநிதியிடம் இன்று ஜெர்மனியின் ஜிஎம்பி இன்டர்நேஷனல் நிறுவனம் படக் காட்சி மூலம் விளக்கியது.

சென்னை அரசினர் தோட்ட வளாகத்தில் புதிய சட்டசபை வளாகம் எழிலுற கட்டப்படவுள்ளது. இதற்கான டெண்டரை, ஜெர்மனியைச் ேசர்ந்த ஜிஎம்பி இன்டர்நேஷனல் நிறுவனம் பெற்றுள்ளது.

இந்த நிலையில் இந்த வளாகத்தில் அமையவுள்ள பி பிளாக் குறித்த பட விளக்கத்தை இன்று ஜெர்மனி நிபுணர் குழுவினர் முதல்வர் கருணாநிதிக்கு அளித்தனர்.

பி பிளாக் பகுதியில் 30 அரசுத் துறை அலுவலகங்கள் அமையவுள்ளன. பவர் பாயின்ட் மூலம், இதுதொடர்பாக முதல்வரிடம் ஜெர்மன் குழுவினர் விளக்கினர்.

அமைச்சர்கள் ஆற்காடு வீராசாமி, துரைமுருகன், தலைமைச் செயலாளர் எல்.கே.திரிபாதி உள்ளிட்டோரும் அப்போது உடனிருந்தனர்.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/news/2...ore-tn-cm.html
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #57
Raj_network
BANNED

More News!

http://www.dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp...=1485&cls=row3

It has two blocks - A and B

A has Assembly, minister's office, home ministry, finance ministry - 9 laksh sq. ft

B block - 6 lakhs sq.ft - department offices

Apart from these,

A huge Reception Hall will be built + huge car parking..
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #58
ezhilan81

Likes (Received): 2

This is one project am sure will make the rest of India look at Chennai if executed properly. Its a nice mix of tradition and modernity depicted in the design and hope Karuna gets this project completed ASAP
ezhilan81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #59
Subra

Likes (Received): 195

Secretariat building plan modified

http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/09/stor...0950380100.htm

CHENNAI: Further modifications have been made to the Tamil Nadu Assembly complex design.

Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi reviewed the Assembly design drawings and a decision was taken to reduce the height of the Secretariat building adjoining the Assembly hall.

It was earlier proposed that the Secretariat building would be 20 floors in height but it has now been reduced to eight floors.

Hubert Nienhoff, architect and partner in gmp- von Gerkan, Marg und Partner Architects, Berlin, told The Hindu that the height was reduced for three reasons. The Assembly would now have only one iconic element: a dome modelled on a temple car. A 20-storied building near it would have competed with the importance of the dome. Secondly, it was felt that the tall tower would hide the dome and make it less visible from certain areas. The existing height restriction on buildings also does not permit a 20-storied building and it was decided to abide by the prevalent rules and reduce the height.

Mr. Neinhoff said the project is on track and as per schedule. Tender discussions are expected to commence by August-end and construction by October. The first phase of the Assembly complex would be completed by mid-2010.

A government official said there had been an encouraging response from a number of companies for the bids floated for the construction of the main block of the complex. Several companies evinced interest in participating in the project, as they considered it would be a matter of prestige and honour for them to be awarded with the contract, the official added.

PWD Minister Durai Murugan, who was present, told presspersons that the firm made a presentation on the ‘B’ block (the Secretariat complex) to the Chief Minister. It would have an area of about 6 lakh sq.ft. The ‘A’ block that houses the Assembly complex would have an area of 9 lakh sq.ft.

The designs were first presented to the Chief Minister in January. The original design had five circular courtyards with the main Assembly hall under a dome in the fourth courtyard. In June, it was revised and the Assembly hall was moved to the second courtyard. The fifth courtyard was dropped. The present modification is the second revision.
Subra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #60
bhopalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthil2001msk View Post
New secretariat will be city's tallest building

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3128164.cms

CHENNAI: The government will literally tower over the citizens of Chennai in about two years. Chennai’s next skyscraper - the secretariat, set to come up adjacent to the assembly building inside the Omandurar Government Estate on Mount Road - will be the tallest building in the city limits by the end of 2010.

The 20-storeyed building, which will house government departments, will come up close to the futuristic assembly complex, for which the foundation stone was laid on Thursday.
that's kinda sad
bhopalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: